• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Viper w/20moa base bottomed out on elev.

LongArm

Problem Solver
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2007
Corpus Christi, Texas
ok I have been trying to figure this out. I have a rem 700 S/A with a egw 20 moa rail and a vortex viper 6-20x50 bdc scope. The action has been trued and re-chambered by a competent smith,the barrel is a new Krieger. I sighted it in with a luepold 4.5-14x50 and all was good. I changed scopes and went with the viper. When I sighted it in it bottomed out on elevation and was still 5 inches high at 100 yards and no travel left. Took the rail off and bedded it (the rear base)and re-sighted it in and now I am still 2" high at 100. The scope has 66 moa of actual travel???? I checked the rings and they are the same hieght and thickness. What am I missing?

rifle is a 260 Remington shooting 2840fps

Re: Vortex Viper w/20moa base bottomed out on elev.

The amount of elevation travel you actually have when zeroed is directly related to the amount of windage travel you used to obtain that zero.

The more windage adjustment you use, the less elevation travel you will have.

View this video on how to center your erector. It was made for US Optics, but will work on any scope.

Erector Centering video

After you have centered your erector, using a collimator or boresighter, what you will perhaps see is that on your rifle, the optical center is off quite a bit to the left or right. If so, that could be limiting your elevation travel. This can happen due to your receiver, barrel (especially on AR's), or scope base, or some combination, not all being in the same plane.

If this is your problem you can correct this by using a ring set that allows for windage correction, like Burris Signature Zee Rings or US Optics ring sets. This will allow the rings to make the necessary windage correction to place the scope horizontally in it's optical center, not using up your scope's internal windage adjustments. Which in turn are limiting your maximum elevation travel.

Either that or you scope may be bad.