• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex vs NF vs Leupold

Black Horse

Private
Minuteman
Aug 30, 2011
North Carolina
I've recently purchased a FN SPR A1. With optics selection I'm stuck between the Vortex PST 6x24x50 FFP, the NightForce 5.5x22x50 and the Leupold Mark 4.5x14x50 ER/T FFP. Also do I go with MilDot or MRAD?

I want FFP, zero stop, quick accurate adjustments, and a reticle that I can learn to range and engage with quickly. Illuminated recticle isn't a big deal. I'm a Marine but new to long distance shooting with optics and bolt gun shooting. The goal for me and this rifle is long distance target shooting, 500-1100 yards. I'm willing to spend up to $1,800 wanting the most bang for my buck. Any productive input or other optic suggestions would be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks.

Re: Vortex vs NF vs Leupold

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slickrick0999</div><div class="ubbcode-body">all three are nice scopes.
</div></div>

+1
I've used Leupold my entire life because that what I was raised with. IMO for the money they are great scopes with great CS. I agree with slickrick0999 someone around you should have at least one of these that you can get behind.

Good luck, now you're hooked.

i have a nightforce nxs 5.5x22x50 mil/mil high speed, zero stop, a vortex razor, and HAD a leupy mark 4 LRT tmr illum reticle 8.5-25x50. tell ya the truth, i like the razor the best. might be a lil more weight, but i love it. imho, the 14x power is gonna leave you desiring more at "long range". nice thing i like about the razor is in the center of the reticle there is a small opening so on high mag it helps out. razor, nightforce, something else besides a leupy, in that order.

If you want to keep it under 1k I'd get the 6-24 FFP PST mil adjustment model. You may need a canted base if you're serious about dialing to 1k I'm not sure the internal adjustment looks borderline to me.

Over 1k there's the bushnell 3-21 FFP group buy:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2716145&nt=2&page=1

If you just want a quick learner scope to get used to shooting with optics and FFP there is a used 3-12 bushnell FFP in the for sale section for 550$. I have one, it is a good little scope. Problem free and plenty of adjustment no zero stop though. You could mount that up, play around with it and as long as you don't beat the shit out of it sell it for about what you paid for it.

edit: if you're currently in the service or LE you can get a discount on leupold stuff just google for "Leupold Military Discount" and you should find something. Then that 4-14 FFP leupie might be 1200 instead of 1500.

I just got Vortex's PST 4-16x50 model. I used to have a Leupold Mark 4 4-16x50 on a bolt gun I sold due to needed cash at the time. Personally, I think the glass is pretty much the same as far as clarity and quality between the two. Both have the illum reticle, but the Leupold had the mil reticle with moa clicks, where the Vortex has MOA/MOA adjustments. Also vortex has the zero stop shims.

The main difference was the price. I got the Vortex for over half the price of the Leupold. Leupold was $1600 and the Vortex was $750 shipped - LEO price.

I've never used Nightforce, but all I have read is positive info. I just don't have a use for that expensive of a scope. I don't shoot in matches and my duty rifle at work is an M4 with acog, not a sniper rifle.

I've never looked through a Nightforce or Leupold but I have a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 mil/mil but second focal plane and all I can say is I love it. I took it 1k this past weekend and everything was crystal clear, tracks extremely well and zero stops are great.

I would take the advice of the others and try to look through some in your area and since you have the bankroll to spend $1800 a higher end scope than a Vortex would be nice. Or spend the money left over from a Vortex on more match ammo or reloading supplies to practice.

IMO nightforce is better glass, but it's not FFP and that's what you're looking for.

I've owned nightforce, leupold and shot vortex.

I know your original post said 5.5-20 but I'm in NC and have a 3.5-15 NF that your more than welcome to look through. If you're a marine though then I'm guessing you at camp lejeune which is the other side of the state from me. just an option.

Mil dot - Mrad. Personal preference chose which you know best or are more comfortable learning about. In the end both do the same thing if used correctly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> You may need a canted base if you're serious about dialing to 1k I'm not sure the internal adjustment looks borderline to me.</div></div>

Was just reading through the thread again and saw this. I took my rig out to 1k the other day and I dialed all my shots. I was shooting a .223 rem with 69gr Sierra Matchkings and I was able to dial up from my 100 yard zero to the 1000 yard dope with about 5.4 mils of elevation left. I had to adjust 9.6 mils to reach 1000 yards. I have my pst mounted on an egw 20moa base.

Thanks for all of the helpful responses so fast. I am leaning towards the Vortex because I have their Strike Fire on my M4 and have used some of their other stuff before and they have great quality and the price is right. I will take the advise and try to get my hands on the other scopes.

I'm in Kabul right now as a contractor, our DDM's (snipers) use the Mark3 or Mark4's. I will get one of them to give me a show and tell. The FN give me 20 additional MOA from the rail so i don't think that should be to much of an issue. Thanks everyone. I will continue my research and checking on these posts.

i've been shooting a 4-16 vortex and i love it, i recently got another for a 22 trainer. that said i also shoot a lot of nightforce, and if it's in your budget, it would be the way to go.

I have a Night Force 5.5-22x50 and love it. Crank the elevation/windage all over the place shooting F-Class and it consistently comes back to zero at a hundred without a problem.

i shot leupold for a long time...and must say i was a total fanboy...

UNTIL my best friend got a nightforce, and let me play with it until he finished his rifle build....thats when i realized i had been paying for diamonds and receiving cubic zirconia...nightforce raised the bar for me that day...now i shoot nightforce..

i also have a Vortex Viper PST on one of my ar308's and love it...

dont get me wrong..leupold makes a great scope...just shop around for a decent price..

I have all three. I like the Vortex best of the three. Save you some serious money and get the PST. Use the leftover Ben Franklins for ammo and you will never look back.

in order of quality

nightforce
vortex
leupold

in order of bang for your buck

vortex
nightforce
leupold

Curious if anyone knows if the optic quality of the 4-16s is on par with the 6-24s now? Back when reviews were saying the 6-24s were substantially better but I haven't been keeping up.

I do have a Vortex 2.5-10, a 6-24 and a premier heritage 5-25. Had a vortex razor. There was a large difference between the premier and razor as far as brightness and clarity went so I upgraded (also a large diff in price so this isn't unexpected). The razor did perform very well against its similarly priced competition. Only think I would have changed on the scope were the mils/rev on the turret. However on the other end of the price spectrum the vortex scopes are great.

The PST is nice but it is not in the same class as NF & MK4. My MK4 6.5-20x50 FFP M5 Mil/mil is very good scope. NF is a great scope as well. The PST has alot of features, however, get what you like. Save up and get the NF or MK4 FFP. The PST would be third on my list.

John

Between NF and Leupold, my eyes see the glass quality as being comparable. I would probably trust the internals of the NF more, but haven't had any issues with Leupold. No experience with Vortex.

I have both of the PST's I would lean toward the higher power as a little better. I also have a NF F1 and would choose that over the PST but it'll bust your price range. If it was me I would save just a little longer and get an F1 with the MLR2, worth the difference if you were going to spend 1800. If you wait and watch you can score one a little cheaper than the 2290 list, I bought mine from eurooptics after the NRA show as a demo, I couldn't tell it from new, it was never mounted and was 1900. I also have a second focal NF the 5.5 x 22. If you have the time to wait and don't mind that you have to remember the graduation incriments on differnt power settings they are a great scope, but that's your call. Hope this helped.

My son has the NF 5.5-22X50 and I have the PST 4-16X50. I see no difference in optical clarity or adjustment stability. The NF has more vertical adjustment capability but lacks FFP. Before you shell out the dollars, try em all!

If you call some of the hide sponsors you should be able to find a Vortex Razor 5-20 right at your $1800 limit and have all of the features you are looking for, ie: FFP,mil/mil,zero stop, etc…

All these scopes will have pluses and minuses to each shooter. It is just an opinion about scopes. Every always trys to compare this VS> this. The comparing thing doesn't work.
Go look at some and make your own decsion based on what you like. This would be my advice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Black Horse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've recently purchased a FN SPR A1. With optics selection I'm stuck between the Vortex PST 6x24x50 FFP, the NightForce 5.5x22x50 and the Leupold Mark 4.5x14x50 ER/T FFP. Also do I go with MilDot or MRAD?

<span style="font-weight: bold">I want FFP, zero stop, quick accurate adjustments, and a reticle that I can learn to range and engage with quickly.</span> Illuminated recticle isn't a big deal. I'm a Marine but new to long distance shooting with optics and bolt gun shooting. The goal for me and this rifle is long distance target shooting, 500-1100 yards. <span style="font-weight: bold">I'm willing to spend up to $1,800 </span>wanting the most bang for my buck. Any productive input or other optic suggestions would be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks. </div></div>

Checkout IOR
There are 2 of them listed in the classifieds w/ ZS,FFP,mil/mil both $1700 shipped

#1 also has pic through scope

Dont know if #1 is a gen 4 but from the description it sounds like it.

Hope this helps

If I didnt just move my gym I would have picked one up last week.

IOR's I have are just as clear and colorful as my older Zeiss Diavaris and they haven't given me any problems. I still think spending less than your scope budget is better than spending it all (unless you also have a bunch of money for reloading supplies etc).