• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex vs Nightforce

Islandactual

Private
Minuteman
May 12, 2021
Van isl
On the fence between a Nightforce NX8 4-32X50 and a Vortex razor hd 4.5-27x56. I've had lots of (positive) experience with Vortex but have yet to own a NF, this is going on my new .308 build. Leaning towards the NF after handling them both in person but I just can't get over the warranty Vortex provides, whereas NF only covers manufacture defects etc. Id like to hear your first hand positive and negative experiences with both!

The warrenty is a big part of why I got the razor. Scope is amazing. Check out the chart lowlight did on tracking.

Attachments

• image-1059x1440.png
    image-1059x1440.png
    697.5 KB · Views: 1,676
The Razor, even though its a pretty old design these days, is a much nicer, more well-rounded optic.

The NX8 suffers from some rather well documented short comings. There are better options at the $2k price point.

Edit; I should add the caveat that usage plays into this decision. On a hunting rifle the weight difference would play a pretty big factor, and the issues with the NX8 are less glaring when you can focus on a single target at a single distance.. For target usage, the Razor is the clear winner. The eyebox, and parallax issues with the NX8 make it a poor choice for transitioning between various targets at different ranges.

Last edited:
NF warranty is better than mentioned. I have returned a heavily used NF for repair and it was quickly returned refurbished at no cost. The NX8 is smaller and lighter. I will say my NX8 is no match to my ATACR. You say you have handled both so go with your gut.

if weight doesn't matter, I agree with going Razor; they're a steal at the current prices these days

ATACR is more in line with the Razor in quality but there is a huge price delta

I would prefer the razor. I think you’d have to move to an atacr to get a NF in the same category.

Reactions: Rob01
At that price point, I would watch the PX for a used ATACR 4-16 F1. I have one (as well as an ATACR 5-25 F1 and older NXS F1), so I might be a bit biased lol. Their CS team is top notch and will most definitely help you out with work/repairs as long as you (or anyone) owns it.

The NX8 isn’t worth it if your in the price range of a used ATACR.

At that price point, I would watch the PX for a used ATACR 4-16 F1. I have one (as well as an ATACR 5-25 F1 and older NXS F1), so I might be a bit biased lol. Their CS team is top notch and will most definitely help you out with work/repairs as long as you (or anyone) owns it.

The NX8 isn’t worth it if your in the price range of a used ATACR.
Agreed ^^

Owned a handful of both vortex and NF. Vortex has a great warranty and I got to use it several times. Haven’t had to test the NF one yet

So my vote is NF

Love my NX8 4-32. No parallax issues for me. FOV @ 4 is outstanding and having the option of 32x is nice. Hard to beat the 8x erector bu it certainly will have some drawbacks. The MIL-XT is a great reticle.

I have no experience with the Razor.

Agreed ^^

Owned a handful of both vortex and NF. Vortex has a great warranty and I got to use it several times. Haven’t had to test the NF one yet

So my vote is NF

And I agree with you about the Vortex warranty. They seem to take little consideration of durability and reliability. They've gained so many fan boys through their customer service.

However, the Razor line up has been solid. Its essentially a LOW scope, which is always pretty solid.

I'm disappointed to have heard their Razor binos are now being manufactured in China. Not sure if it true or not. But disappointing if it is, to take a successful and well-made optic and go the cheap route to increase profit margin.

• Haha
Reactions: BurtG and Rob01
Love my NX8 4-32. No parallax issues for me. FOV @ 4 is outstanding and having the option of 32x is nice. Hard to beat the 8x erector bu it certainly will have some drawbacks. The MIL-XT is a great reticle.

I feel the same. I have a 7-35X ATACR on its way and that was a big part of why I reason I chose it (it was either that or a ZCO - either would fit the bill I'm sure)

Reticles are VERY personal so take that into account when deciding.

Which Vortex? Razor IIs with issues?
Mine were the PST line. The Razor came out after I gave up on the Vortex. I’m sure the Razors are great as most of the Japanese scopes are. However the $900 pst line I tried wouldn’t hold a candle in reliability to the Burris xtr or Sightron SIII

For that reason I vote NF (I’ve owned the NXS, Competition and ATACR line in the NF)

OP,

I wouldn’t rule out an Athlon Cronus BTR either. I have one and it’s been a great optic as well

Yes would not zero at 100 yards, #1 the elevation and windage knobs made about 1/2 revolution and quit turning, #2 turn the knobs all day and nothing happened. Two 4.5X27's and one 3X18. The 3X18x seem to be fine but I was over Vortex, I laughed like a Hyena, never again

Last edited:
Reactions: BurtG
Yes would not zero at 100 yards, #1 the elevation and windage knobs made about 1/2 revolution and quit turning, #2 turn the knobs all day and nothing happened. Two 4.5X27's and one 3X18. The 3X18x seem to be fine but I was over Vortex, I laughed like a Hyena, never again
I call bullshit and/or Hyena error.

Yes Gen 1 PST

I’ve contemplated trying a Razor but my last few purchases have been Cronus and NF ATACR

The vortex warranty is no BS tho. Called them on a Monday. Wednesday my new scope showed up with a label to stick on the same box and send the broke scope back out

As far as warranty goes they’re second to none. Burris warranty is very good as well if the OP decides to look into the XTRIII series

Used the vortex warranty twice

I’ve used both pretty extensively, I don’t find I struggle with the parallax and eye box “issues” on the nx8. The eye box isn’t as forgiving as the vortex, but it’s not a complaint I had, personally.

The vortex has better glass imo, I find it brighter and a little better clarity. For the price point it’s best glass on the market, that I’ve messed with at least.

Weight is the major complaint for the razor. It’s heavy but durable as hell. The nx8 is lighter and with the 30mm tube, it’s a smaller profile. If weight is a concern then the scales might tip to the nx8. Otherwise I think the advantage goes to the vortex for general target shooting.

Warranty I honestly cannot comment on...over several razors and NF scopes, I’ve never had to make use of a warranty. I honestly cannot think of a friend who had an issue either.

Reactions: Huskydriver
The vortex is a great scope but I have 4 nightforce scopes and wouldn't use anything else. That being said, the atacr is better than the nx8.

Agree with the above. Vortex over the NX8, or try and score an ATACR used in the PX

Ive had 2 razors 1-6x fail but they made good on em pretty fast.

Only fondled a few NX8’s- razor glass seemed much better to me personally

2 ATACR’s with no issues and best glass overall IMO - also most expensive

Reactions: kopf94

I have a razor and a. Nx8. The 4-32 NX8 is a great scope, and so is the razor, but kind of different because of weight. Love my NX8 though!

Both the Razor and NF are tanks, I'd probably go the Razor route as it's more tank than NF in question, were it the ATACR it'd be a closer match as it's more tanky than the NX8.

I like to think of the NX8 as a Sherman tank, the Atacr as a Churchill and the Razor as Landkreuzer P1000.
If your going for a tank you may as well go full Nazi super tank.

I’m not surprised that Vortex is the most used scope in PRS. I think it’s mostly to do with the fact that Vortex is an easy brand to find in big box stores and every website selling optics. It’s good they have excellent customer service and a warranty. Apparently you’ll need it. If you’re spending that much, then you should consider Tract. Incredible glass in those scopes.

I’m not surprised that Vortex is the most used scope in PRS. I think it’s mostly to do with the fact that Vortex is an easy brand to find in big box stores and every website selling optics. It’s good they have excellent customer service and a warranty. Apparently you’ll need it. If you’re spending that much, then you should consider Tract. Incredible glass in those scopes.
so much wrong about this

you're very unlikely to need the warranty on a razor
razor and atacr/nx8 are just as likely to be in the same stores
its $1000-$1500 cheaper than an atacr
great reticle
locking turrets

also fuck tract lol give me something proven to last as a company

Sportsman’s Warehouse and Bass Pro carry Nightforce. They are rarely in stock so you won’t be buying there. Academy Sports doesn’t carry Nightforce. All three seem to have piles of Razor scopes in stock at all times. That’s a fact.

Here is another fact: I have known at least three people to have owned the Razor. Two of them sent them back for warranty work due to problems. One of those guys never got the scope to work right and gave up after multiple attempts.

Check out Tract scopes first before you write them off just because they are new. If you know anything about scopes and glass then you’d probably change your mind.

So what’s wrong here?

Sportsman’s Warehouse and Bass Pro carry Nightforce. They are rarely in stock so you won’t be buying there. Academy Sports doesn’t carry Nightforce. All three seem to have piles of Razor scopes in stock at all times. That’s a fact.

Here is another fact: I have known at least three people to have owned the Razor. Two of them sent them back for warranty work due to problems. One of those guys never got the scope to work right and gave up after multiple attempts.

Check out Tract scopes first before you write them off just because they are new. If you know anything about scopes and glass then you’d probably change your mind.

So what’s wrong here?
99% of people here are smarter than to buy a razor or NF from any of the sites you listed

tract sure. give me some free ones and ill give an honest test. but no chance id risk my money. rather put $1500 on red

anyone can go OEM a scope from LOW or chine or whatever. doesnt mean they're gonna exist in 10 year after they make their money and get out

I own two Razor Gen II, and an HD.
All perform very well.
Robust and reliable, they sit on a .338LM, a .308, and a 6.5 Creedmoor.
I like the the NF that I have looked through, but the Vortex are doing what I want.
I was at a shoot the other weekend, and a guy's S&B failed whilst shooting.
No brand is perfect.

Vortex makes good glass but I find the Nightforce optics on my 6.5 CM rifles to be a cut above for clarity

Reactions: Criver600
Are you concerned at all about weight? I ask because the nx8 is pretty light for a ffp. If you are is there something that draws you to the Razor rather than the AMG as the Vortex alternative? AMG is pretty light weight too.

What are you dudes doing with your Razors?!?
They’re either not as durable as I thought, or there’s a bit of embellishment around here. I’m just saying I don’t hear about them breaking very often.

They’re either not as durable as I thought, or there’s a bit of embellishment around here. I’m just saying I don’t hear about them breaking very often.
Vortex owner above happy to say they fixed both of his new Razors.
Travel,prep, load, practice and prove rounds, pay in and a rainstorm is gold compared to optics going down.

So what’s wrong here?
In statistical terms, it is called a strong outlier - you, you are called a strong outlier. That means if you get struck by lightening once, it'll probably happen 2 or 3 more times. And if you get bit by a shark...well...
Long story short: I cannot predict how you will die, but I bet it makes the news.

That, or you are full of shit.

Razors aren't known for breaking or failing. If you assume your (statistical outlier) experiences are average, the whole world seems upside-down.

None of this is to say razors don't/can't break; but to have multiple failures on multiple scopes is odd. Or user error. Or, as in the AR.com post, a very specific use-case and a very specific failure type.

Carry on.

Last edited:
Vortex owner above happy to say they fixed both of his new Razors.
Travel,prep, load, practice and prove rounds, pay in and a rainstorm is gold compared to optics going down.
Word that’s good! I’ve always liked dealing with vortex and their reps. I’m not surprised that if something happens they’ll take care of their customers.

For sure no scope is indestructible and no manufacture is incapable of sending out a bad egg. It happens but in the class of “flagship” scopes for NF and Vortex it’s definitely uncommon. Which is good.
I think the topic at hand was the Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27x56. That being said, there’s something going on with the way that person sets up his equipment or he’s frankly incredibly unlucky.

I had the same issue, The 1-6 did not work in any cold weather setting for me. Vortex was great about continually replacing them though (2x). That was specifically the 1-6

This isn’t a vortex bash either, I like vortex and think they’ve changed the optic game for the better , and think the OP will be good with whatever route he chooses

I had the same issue, The 1-6 did not work in any cold weather setting for me. Vortex was great about continually replacing them though (2x). That was specifically the 1-6

This isn’t a vortex bash either, I like vortex and think they’ve changed the optic game for the better , and think the OP will be good with whatever route he chooses
That is crazy they fail in cold weather. I know SOCOM took a hard look at fielding the 1-6 but ended up going with the 1-6/1-8 NF ATACRs.

Good to know.

Reactions: BurtG
I did not read his thread. I had heard rumors of it having issues in cold weather. I didn’t even mount it, wanted to find out the cold weather thing for myself. Put it in my fridge / freezer to test it before even mounting it lol 😂

That is crazy they fail in cold weather. I know SOCOM took a hard look at fielding the 1-6 but ended up going with the 1-6/1-8 NF ATACRs.

Good to know.
Yea I was very surprised too but it was clear as day to me that it didn’t like cold weather (1-6 specifically) and half my time is in cold weather so it wasn’t gonna work out

Reactions: Bd1

With all the claims of "best glass" that are made about tons of different scopes, I think there's some embellishments on a few different fronts. There may be some guys out there that. Could pick "this glass over that one" if the scope was unknown, but it ain't many. Some appear brighter side by side, but otherwise, when you are talking about Razor / NF: ect... level glass, they are all pretty damn good . Reticle , Turrets , and eye relief/ eyebox is what's more of a factor imo

After debating between the NF ATACA 5-25 vs the VT RAZOR 4.7-27, I finally chose the Vortex 4.5-27 and haven't looked back since. My decision to select the VT was due largely on the bigger eye box (to me), the price difference and the warrantee. Although eye box size seems to be subjective, to me it appeared larger. The price difference was $1000 less, and the warrantee is lifetime (no questions asked). The VT has everything the NF has except for the dual colored reticle-VT is only red. With regard to glass clarity, my eyes couldn't tell the difference. Both appear to have excellent glass quality.

I'm extremely satisfied with the VT and highly recommend it. Had I selected the NF, I'm sure I would have been just as happy. Regardless of which one you choose, you're buying a quality piece of glass that will last for years to come. Good luck with either purchase.

Reactions: Sagittarius
I've used Vortex's warranty 3 times. First time was when my rifle came out of the ATV's scabbard when doing a wheelie during deer camp. 2nd was when the carbineer broke when pulling my rifle up to my deer stand. 3rd was when I was in a rush and cross threaded my windage cap. Yes, warranty covers stupid and I've been stupid 3 times. All 3 times it was cosmetic or thread damage only but Vortex sent me new glass everytime.
Additionally it made me proud when my buddy with his 5-25 ATACR said he "likes my Razor better". :)

Reactions: black max