• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

VTR Shooters?

Marksman

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 4, 2008
Michigan
I was wondering how everyone liked their VTR's? Would you say the VTR barrel contours shoot as good as a regular rem varmint barrel? Have their been any problems with barrel quality? Thanks in advance on any insight.

Re: VTR Shooters?

we shoot one in .223

very happy with it so far.
No issues what so ever.

Just got to get used to shape of barrel. KInda weird at 1st but it grows on you.

I think remington are starting to push these barrels a little more, releasing more and more models with the same design

I would think that a company like Remington would do a good deal of testing and design on something like this. It is so foreign to rifle owners and those that have old reliable would need a good reason to buy into this triangular barrel design with integrated compensator. I don't think they would release a firearm that wasn't proven to be legitimate at their own ranges.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StealthMode223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would think that a company like Remington would do a good deal of testing and design on something like this. It is so foreign to rifle owners and those that have old reliable would need a good reason to buy into this triangular barrel design with integrated compensator. I don't think they would release a firearm that wasn't proven to be legitimate at their own ranges. </div></div>

Yeah, the model 710 went over real well ..

Ok, I guess that would be an exception to the rule. I blame that one on A lot of Walmart stores closing down Gun sales.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Marksman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StealthMode223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would think that a company like Remington would do a good deal of testing and design on something like this. It is so foreign to rifle owners and those that have old reliable would need a good reason to buy into this triangular barrel design with integrated compensator. I don't think they would release a firearm that wasn't proven to be legitimate at their own ranges. </div></div>

Yeah, the model 710 went over real well .. </div></div>

The VTR was designed to give varmint barrel stiffness, with a lighter contour, while also providing more area for heat dissipation.
In this regards it seems to work.
Not too sure about the compensator.
especially on a 9 pound bolt .223
But hey, if it works, and you like it, shoot it.

I love mine in 308. It shoots itty bitty groups with FGGM after I changed the stock to a B&C light tactical. I just wish they would make it in 7mm-08.

I'm really interested in buying one of the new XHR models in 270. The XHR model is basically a VTR barreled action with a 24" barrel and no compensator. I'm sure the stock will be throw away, but if the triangular barrels seem to be shooters, then they should do alright.