• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

VTR with 5r bbl?

mis-guided child2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2010
Union Grove, Tx
I just fondled a NIB VTR in .308.
The bbl is marked 5R with a 1:11.25 twist,
and it has an offset threaded on bolt knob.
Wondering if anyone has played with one of
these yet?
Have these been out awhile?

Re: VTR with 5r bbl?

That's the basic one. A VTR.
The one in the local gun shop has....
"5R 1:11.25" stamped in the right side .
And an off set bolt knob. Bolt knob is threaded
on and looks like a Buda belly with the belly
pointing towards the muzzle.

Sounds like a custom shop job. A Target Tactical barrel and action in a standard VTR stock with an aftermarket bolt knob.

I looked at the TT before I bought the FCPK. Nice looking stick. No doubt the 5R barrel is a shooter.

I have a VTR and I have not seen one like you describe. The one I have shoots Pretty Good. I would like to see one like you describe. You might want to call Remington and see if they made such a weapon. The VTR I have does not wear that POS Stock that it came in any more either. Put it in a HS Precision and it does pretty good.

Your describing the Target Tactical model. I would just get the 5R stainless model and move on

There have been a flood of these onto the market, they do have the R-5 barrel the only reason there so much cheaper is the crappy stock they come with, although my feelings are still the same, make a Break that actually works or drop it completely.

Oh! A flood of em.
Whether or not the BRAKE works, this must be the first wave of the flood to arrive in these parts, as its the only one in this
sleepy little town of 100,000 to my knowledge.

Have seen two of these guns, sitting side by side at a local shop. They were sitting beside a standard VTR, could not tell the difference until a closer look. The 5R rifled barrel did have a offset oversized bolt knob, 20" triangle barrel, muzzle brake, and plastic green stock. Barrel clearly marked 5R rifling, took the bolt to investigate, 5 grooves down the tube. Its an exclusive by one of the distibutors. There price was $699.99. They are out there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wco24u</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have seen two of these guns, sitting side by side at a local shop. They were sitting beside a standard VTR, could not tell the difference until a closer look. The 5R rifled barrel did have a offset oversized bolt knob, 20" triangle barrel, muzzle brake, and plastic green stock. Barrel clearly marked 5R rifling, took the bolt to investigate, 5 grooves down the tube. Its an exclusive by one of the distibutors. There price was $699.99. They are out there. </div></div>

Is this 5R stuff more marketing baloney from "Big Green" or is there an actual measurable difference in group size?

Company moniker should be "Big Gimmick" rather than "Big Green".

Things can sure go to seed quick when you let marketers make engineering decisions.