• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

VTR?

Palegroe

Private
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2009
Kentucky,Henderson
I have a Remington VTR in .308. The one with the triangular barrel. Does anyone else have one or have any thoughts about it. I searched the hide for any infor on one but found nothing. Any oppions on this gun, barrel, built in muzzle break?

Re: VTR?

I read up on this and it doesn't sound like as good a platform as a regular barrel. If I remember correctly, it wasn't as accurate and didn't dissipate heat as well as a barrel with similar weight. Further, certain parts like the brake seem like they would be particular to the barrel shape, making future swaps more expensive. SO, although I don't have any personal experience with one, I would not entertain doing so.

I looked at one today and had similar questions. Seem a bit pricey also at over 7 bones here in Hawaii. (just transfered)

The ones I have shoot great for a cheap rifle. There are some threads on here about the VTR. I thought that the VTR barrel cooled better than a non fluted heavy barrel, But I could be wrong.

I have a VTR in .223

I did not like the stock it came with and replaced it with a B&C Tac / Medal A5. I'm of the opinion the muzzle brake isn't exactly necessary on a .223, but since it ports straight up, perhaps it helps keep the muzzle jump to a minimum.

Mine is topped with a Leu MK4 4.5x14 x 50 optic with a Ken Farrell base and MK4 rings.

The rifle as setup is a bit on the heavy side ( ~15ish pounds )
but it makes for a decent bench gun.

With the above being the only modifications to the gun so far ( considering glass bedding it when I get motivated enough ) the gun seems to shoot ok. I can typically hold .4 - .5 MOA @ 100yds with my handloads. ( Though Hornady Vmax 55gr shoot just about the same )

Mine didn't shoot very well when I Bought it, it would at best shoot a 3 shot group inside of 2" at 100 yards. I know the stock is junk but I sanded the pressure point out of it and tried it again got down to about 1.5" at 100Yrds. I've tried about 6 different factory loads and about 10 different hand loads and can't get any better than 1.5" group out of it. I checked the chamber depth and it seems kinda deep to me with an OAL gauge it measures about 2.955. Any one have this problem?

I got mine this past month. I opted for .223 given the lack of long distance ranges where I live (all are 500 yards or less).

I'm using the Leupold Mk4 Mil Dot 4.5-14x with leupold rings. Tomorrow I'm having a Bell and Carlson Medalist A5 stock put on it, as I'm not thrilled at all with the stock it ships with. Other than the stock, I've enjoyed it very much. To be honest, I haven't seen a difference in barrel cooling but it certainly is comfortably light. Accuracy after break in has been excellent, with .25 to .33 MoA for me (I'm sure it would be better with a better shooter). I'm expecting even more consistency with the B&C stock as it'll give me a better stock weld.

I love the Remington 700 action which drove me to the VTR. If I have any doubt about the purchase, it's with respect to caliber. I literally went back and forth with .308 and .223 before deciding on .223. Again given my lack of long distance nearby, the added ammo cost and recoil of the .308 didnt' seem to make sense. But I still have occasional "shoulda woulda".

Who knows; maybe I'll get one in .308 too!

I have one in .308. Haven't shot it yet, waiting on my new stock to come in before I mount the optics and go shoot. Hopefully I got one of the decent shooters, can't afford to rebarrel right now.

Just went out yesterday with my buddy and his son to dial in 3 of his rifles he re-scoped and one of them was the VTR in .308 I remember reading a review about it in Sniper Central where he was saying he didn't like this, and didn't like that, but turned around and said it was a .5 MOA gun @ a 100yds...WTF????

At the time, I didn't have the heart to show my buddy the review because he had just bought the gun and was fired up about getting it. He found the same report a week later and it burned him out pretty bad. So much so that he was considering trading it for something else......until yesterday.

Bottom line is, his son who probably has shot less than 40 rounds with a high power rifle shot a 3 round 1" (center to center) group @ 200yds. Obviously we were pretty damn happy with it, LOL and I offered to give him what he paid for that piece of junk...Hahahahaha!

The lesson to be learned here is; Take the damn thing out and shoot it, and don't believe everything you read on the internet.
laugh.gif

One more thing I think I should mention. They (Remi) nailed the balance/weight combo. Not to heavy, not to light.....just a good target/hunting balanced rifle.

-Pat

Forgot to mention that 1" group @200yds was with cheap-ass Win-USA stuff we were using to get things close before breaking out the Federal Gold Match......LOL We never wound up using the Federal, we just moved on to the next gun. All 3 of us were ringing steel with it out to 300 until we ran out of sunlight. The plan is to start to stretch it's legs the next time were out.

-Pat

Bought one in .308 for the wife. We didn't get to shoot because I got it my last day of leave. We're waiting for another 3 months till I'm home to throw glass on it. The lighter weight, compared to my SPS-T, is a plus for her. The dual swivel studs are nice so that you won't have to deal with attaching bipod to sling and to stock when you need to swap. The stock provide a very nice balance to the rifle, and the wife likes the OD. Looks aren't everything though cuz I think it's ugly. My wife loves it and if she gets into shooting more because of it then it's done its job.

i have one in .223. its a freakin laser. i shoot black hills remanufactured ammo with the v-max and it holds less than a half inch at 100 yds. i shot roughly a 1'' group at 200 this past weekend but i think i couldve done better. it was awful windy and freezing cold at the range. my only complaint is i dont like the look of the barrel anymore. i wish i wouldve just bought an sps varmint instead of the vtr. the brake works i suppose. ive never shot anything else with a brake on it so i have nothing to compare to. but i dont lose sight of my target after squeeszing one off. great gun, just wish i woulda got a varmint barrel instead.

In my quest to get accuracy, I've done many things to the VTR including new Bell and Carlson A5 stock, free floated barrel, , glass bed the recoil lug, broke in the barrel, always let barrel cool between rounds, etc. While I got improvements, still nothing to be proud of. I knew it wasn't me as my other rifles were consistently shooting tight groups.

On a whim, I tried larger bullets. I had thought the 9" twist gave me a maximum of 69 grains so I tried those. Things got better, but after a while they'd spread again. So I went to the store and picked up some 75 grain Hornady match today. The results were outstanding. Very tight 3 hole groups, .3 to .4 MoA, lots of overlaping holes. I could not believe the difference. To make sure it wasn't a fluke, I then shot some 55 grain again and it looked like a shot gun (exagerating but you get my point). Tonight I went to order lots of 75 grain hornady on Cabelas and in the "reviews" I saw another guy had the same exact experience.

So if you have this weapon in .223, experiment with higher grains...she seems to like 'em large.

i have the vtr in 308 and was getting 1" groups outta the box with hornaday 75 gr shells and a cheap barska scope as soon as i sorted out my bolt problem as i had mounted a brownells tactical rail for the scope and the damn thing wouldnt let the bolt work once that was done i can say i couldnt be more happy with this rifle it was a choice between the sps tactical heavy barrel and the vtr which i got the vtr for 649 same price i was being quoted for the sps may not be the best rifle out there but i find mine to be a tack driver needs a little custom work like a new stock and a real scope maybe a little trigger work and new knob and that puppy will be a killer just sent it out for duracoating now i am looking at the fn pbr or the armalite ar 30 in 308 since the wife prohibits me spending 8000 for the barret 50 which would be my dream rifle.

I have always read/heard they were hit or miss. Some shoot lights out, others never break MOA no matter what you do. I will say though ... I sure do like the way they feel for some reason. Handled one in Gander Rip a few different times and something about it "fits" me. I even like the look.
laugh.gif
Too bad Big Green shit all over me last year on a problem. They'd have sold a .223 and .308 VTR.