• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vudoo: 1st trip to range

J Scott

Private
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2003
USA
I figured with all the noise I was making re ordering a Vudoo, I'd post a couple of pics. While the 6 groups of 5 shots each of Center X are a bit disappointing, before I start trying different ammo, I will do these things first: lighten the TT trigger, use a more solid rear rest and better focus on the fundamentals.
IMG_5466.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5462.JPG
    IMG_5462.JPG
    561.5 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Nice shooting. Mine shot the same first trip to the range.

The first thing I got from shooting my Vudoo was some harsh feedback on my gun handling. Your groups look mostly very good and even the famed CX will throw a shot now and then.
I had mine out to the range this morning too. My home range has a 22 Sniper Match each month. It is 60 steel targets at distances of 50, 75, 100, 125, 150 and 200 yards. the smallest is 1" wide by 1.5" tall and largest is 5". My first assigned targets were the tiny 50 yard ones. I center punched the first five in a row but shot about 1/8" over #6 and 8 of 10. Tightened up on the nut behind the trigger and ran up a 58 target total score.
BTW, I was shooting SK Long Range Match which appears to me to be the same components as CX with a touch more powder.

Reactions: J Scott
I figured with all the noise I was making re ordering a Vudoo, I'd post a couple of pics. While the 6 groups of 5 shots each of Center X are a bit disappointing, before I start trying different ammo, I will do these things first: lighten the TT trigger, use a more solid rear rest and better focus on the fundamentals.

I posted my write-up in the big Vudoo V-22 thread, but here's the link - https://www.ocabj.net/precision-rifle-project-series-vudoo-gun-works-v-22/

I've got several photos of groups (all 10-round strings), with three variants of Lapua, three of SK, and CCI Standard Velocity.

I think your groups are fine so far. I'm not the best benchrest shooter, either, so I understand the pains of paper shooting.

I would agree with ocabj, I think those groups are great. Those are comparable with what I get from my Tikka T1x. The reinforcement ring bullseyes are 1/2" OD and 1/4" ID

Tikka #3 Lapua Pistol King Sparrow 9-7-19.jpg

-Adjusted the TT Diamond trigger down

-Check all screws: action and scope rail

-Replaced scope with a Leupold Mark 5 HD 3.6-18x44

-Cleaned barrel

-Used a more rigid rear rest and braced bipod

-Focus on fundamentals

Overall, a little better, maybe. Seems like the first groups at the beginning of each row/far left is where I'm doing something noticeably wrong. The second and third group in each row are better. Still not smiling. I'll keep at it.

ocabj-excellent vid and write. Many thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_5473.jpg
    IMG_5473.jpg
    419.3 KB · Views: 156

-Cleaned barrel

-Focus on fundamentals

Overall, a little better, maybe. Seems like the first groups at the beginning of each row/far left is where I'm doing something noticeably wrong. The second and third group in each row are better. Still not smiling. I'll keep at it.

I fail to see anything disappointing here. Several of those are tiny clusters. "flyers happen"!
I shot a little match last weekend. Have a 25 bull target with a tiny 10 ring and a dot for X at 50 yards. All shooting off a bipod.
My first time to try the match and first match of any type with the V-22. shot 245 of 250 possible with Vudoo and Center-X. They hold what they call The Fracas after that. Small steel plates 175, 200 and 250 yards. Tied for 4th on the paper and 3rd in the long range event.
Vudoos are super smooth and my mags all function 100% every trip to the range. That's a good thing in my book.

Last edited:
My Vudoo grouped new out of the box would group 5 shots at 50 yards of center X inside a dime and some others real close to that. I now have 400 rounds down range and my groups have tightened up. I have run a couple dry patches through the barrel after a hundred rounds. The rounds mine really likes is the center X and Eley Tenex

Attachments

• 473E90F7-CCE0-434F-BEC4-16B0AA69C2DD.jpeg
    473E90F7-CCE0-434F-BEC4-16B0AA69C2DD.jpeg
    568 KB · Views: 57
  • 87DAF69E-1989-4520-A407-4F35740C23D5.jpeg
    87DAF69E-1989-4520-A407-4F35740C23D5.jpeg
    755.7 KB · Views: 56
Well I either bought a dud or I need to learn to shoot like you! Great shooting, Steve! I'll keep practicing :)

Reactions: Stevelightning
Well I either bought a dud or I need to learn to shoot like you! Great shooting, Steve! I'll keep practicing :)

I started shooting mine with the old Lapua made Wolf that I have a case of and it loved it from the start. It shoots Center X almost as good but I haven’t got it to like the SK stuff yet.

My Vudoo grouped new out of the box would group 5 shots at 50 yards of center X inside a dime and some others real close to that. I now have 400 rounds down range and my groups have tightened up. I have run a couple dry patches through the barrel after a hundred rounds. The rounds mine really likes is the center X and Eley Tenex

What did you do, shoot those two and go home? To give an accurate display of your rifles ability I would recommend showing more than one group for a particular ammo like J Scott did or I did in post #7. For example I could cherry pick the target below for one of the ten 5 shot groups but as you see the overall groups were not that great. They are not really bad but if I only showed that one group people might think that rifle did it all the time. Or, even if I said the rifle shot most groups "real close to that" would not be a true statement.

Cherry picked.

Cherry picked.png

The rest of the ten 5-shot groups.

Tikka2 Center-X & CCI SV Sparrow 3-30-19.jpg

I'm not trying to cause any trouble or start something but to just point out that showing a single group is not a true indicator of how a rifle actually performs in the overall picture. I realize you didn't say it did but to post a single target and forget it would indicate you would want others to believe it does. I also realize you posted two photos but with different ammo but again, same logic applies. Your Vudoo may shoot that way all the time but I'd want to see at a minimum five 5-shot groups with the same ammo on the same target. If several people posted that about a Vudoo I'd be getting my vudoo started today.

Again, not trying to cause any trouble but offering advice to improve credibility.

Reactions: Shooter_X and Cuzz
What did you do, shoot those two and go home? To give an accurate display of your rifles ability I would recommend showing more than one group for a particular ammo like J Scott did or I did in post #7. For example I could cherry pick the target below for one of the ten 5 shot groups but as you see the overall groups were not that great. They are not really bad but if I only showed that one group people might think that rifle did it all the time. Or, even if I said the rifle shot most groups "real close to that" would not be a true statement.

Cherry picked.

View attachment 7158317

The rest of the ten 5-shot groups.

View attachment 7158318

I'm not trying to cause any trouble or start something but to just point out that showing a single group is not a true indicator of how a rifle actually performs in the overall picture. I realize you didn't say it did but to post a single target and forget it would indicate you would want others to believe it does. I also realize you posted two photos but with different ammo but again, same logic applies. Your Vudoo may shoot that way all the time but I'd want to see at a minimum five 5-shot groups with the same ammo on the same target. If several people posted that about a Vudoo I'd be getting my vudoo started today.

Again, not trying to cause any trouble but offering advice to improve credibility.
As I stated above my rifle grouped inside of a dime at 50 yards right of the box. The groups have tightened up in 400 rounds. The two photos I showed are the best two groups out of the last 50 rounds of each ammo I tested Eley Tenex and Center X
Sorry for any confusion

As I stated above my rifle grouped inside of a dime at 50 yards right of the box. The groups have tightened up in 400 rounds. The two photos I showed are the best two groups out of the last 50 rounds of each ammo I tested Eley Tenex and Center X
Sorry for any confusion

Steve, no confusion at all. I was worried about sounding like a dickhead but a person can only word things the best he knows how. I just wish someone with a Vudoo would post several targets showing ten 5-shot groups (full box of 50). In all honesty I'm not so sure a Vudoo is any better than the Tikka #3 I have. For that matter I'm not even sure the IBI barrel I have coming for another Tikka T1x will be any better either.

I'd love to have a Vudoo but I'd like to see several groups possibly by different rifles to help coerce ;) me into buying one.

At this point, I"m not sure if it's me or the rifle, but I have a plan in place the next time I shoot to help short it out: more rounds through the tube-I only 185 total, 135 since last cleaning, a different scope/SWFA 10x MQ b/c of it's mechanical track record and shooting off of a soft rest not my bipod. Will any of this work? Who knows, but the guy behind trigger which is likely the problem, will be getting better during the process.

IMO - Wind conditions, even at 50y, will have an effect on your groups. If target stands aren't rigid that's another wind effect.
Our range has crazy swirling winds that will drive you crazy shooting rimfire, especially at 100/200yds.

Proper setup (rests/body/eye position), minimal pressure on the gun, relaxed mindset, and dead straight fluid trigger pull need to be executed every round to consistently shoot tight groups. Mentally it's a challenge similar to trap shooting.

It isn't exactly easy, but it sure as hell is challenging! :)

Thanks, I appreciate what you shared.
If we shot .25" bug holes every time we shot..... we'd most likely find another challenge. ;)

Enjoy that rifle, they are pretty special IMO.

PS - If you find ammunition that will shoot close to .25" every time...… buy enough of that lot to last a lifetime. :D

Steve, no confusion at all. I was worried about sounding like a dickhead but a person can only word things the best he knows how. I just wish someone with a Vudoo would post several targets showing ten 5-shot groups (full box of 50). In all honesty I'm not so sure a Vudoo is any better than the Tikka #3 I have. For that matter I'm not even sure the IBI barrel I have coming for another Tikka T1x will be any better either.

I'd love to have a Vudoo but I'd like to see several groups possibly by different rifles to help coerce ;) me into buying one.

Example - https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/6x5-thread-v3-0.6253073/page-13#post-7915548

I've bought into the Vudoo precision, just not the 90 degree throw now that I've been accustomed and really enjoying my Tikkas.

I agree, the groups shot on 10/1 in the above photo are excellent and I too would be extremely happy with that.

Quarter Horse, Littlepod, I will have to take a look. Thanks for that tip

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the feedback. I'm hoping to get back to the range in the next day or two.

Just wanted to show off one more miraculous 5 shots at 55 yards group. And yes, there are really 5 shots there. Sad thing is I don't even remember what rifle shot it. This one come after the one above.

the great.png

Reactions: 45srbest
Yes, I do know :) I also hope I get a limit of them next month with my Vudoo :)

Back at it today. Looks like I"m stuck in the mud, not much change if any. I like the SS 10x42 MQ scope-easy view. Hope to shoot off of a front bag soon to see if there's a difference compared to the bipod.

Attachments

• IMG_5515.jpg
    IMG_5515.jpg
    432.3 KB · Views: 84
Back at it today. Looks like I"m stuck in the mud, not much change if any. I like the SS 10x42 MQ scope-easy view. Hope to shoot off of a front bag soon to see if there's a difference compared to the bipod.

Looks like good shooting to me!

tl, thanks. KOD, at this point, I"m not pleased. . I'll keep at it though.

You're shooting in the high 0.2s.
I think it's pretty good without doing any lot testing or doing BR type shooting. I also think 10X mag isn't enough for maximum accuracy. Have you tried shooting at 100Y?

I did a 6x5 today, and pretty amazed at the amount of concentration it really takes to keep the groups in. So many fundamentals with natural point of aim, breathing, trigger control, follow through. And if there's any slight wind it will affect the shot. Your shooting looks pretty solid J Scott.

Kev1-I haven not shot this rifle at 100 yards. littlepond-thanks.

Tougher wind today and yes, the Sinclair front rest took some more of me out of the equation. I'm smiling...for now.
smile

Attachments

• IMG_5526.jpg
    IMG_5526.jpg
    337.6 KB · Views: 94
Thanks. My eyes "ain't" what they used to be...sounds like a big excuse to me, huh? Or is it an excuse to buy a high octane scope? ?
Additionally, I'm looking forward to trying a different lot(s) of CX.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cuzz
Well, as you already know the sky's the limit as far as scopes go. Honestly IMO the best bang for the buck right now is still the Vortex Strike Eagle 4-24X50 at Europtics for $299. I have three of those and one 3-18X44.

I have also seen some huge discounts on the Vortex Razor HD GEN II in 3-18 and 4.5-27. Both those are magnificent scopes. Umm, yeah, I have those too. I can't recommend something I haven't used myself. But, no one wants to read another book about scopes on here but if you want to pick my brain for specifics PM me and ask away.

-Cleaned barrel

-Focus on fundamentals

Being that you are having trouble with the first groups makes me wonder if its something to do with the gun settleing back down after moving from right to left and down. Maybe start at the right to left or verticle?

Cuzz-makes sense. With some help of fellow shooter, I believe I narrowed it down to parallax not being set up properly. Since, it appears to be ok now. I think parallax along with the shooter's technique were/are the problems here. :) Thanks again and good suggestion.

Cuzz-makes sense. With some help of fellow shooter, I believe I narrowed it down to parallax not being set up properly. Since, it appears to be ok now. I think parallax along with the shooter's technique were/are the problems here. :) Thanks again and good suggestion.

I struggled with parallax for a long time. Now I do all 5 shots w/o lifting my head/moving it on the cheek rest if I care about getting the tiniest groups possible.

Good post, littlepod. Same here. Additionally, Voodoo's smooth action helps me stay on the rifle as well.

I struggled with parallax for a long time. Now I do all 5 shots w/o lifting my head/moving it on the cheek rest if I care about getting the tiniest groups possible.
I have struggled with parallax as well, especially with the NF scopes (most so with the ATACR). I like just how well NF has held up for me over the years but I'm slowly converting to Vortex GenII Razors. The parallax numbering is right on and I am more confident. It does have me scoring better hits at all ranges now. An added benefit is that the parallax can be set as low as 25 yards.
BTW, my newest V-22 Vudoo arrived this afternoon. I'll get everything together and try to take a couple of pics tomorrow. I'm really curious to see how the 22" barrel does against the current 20" I already own.

Reactions: Cuzz
I have struggled with parallax as well, especially with the NF scopes (most so with the ATACR). I like just how well NF has held up for me over the years but I'm slowly converting to Vortex GenII Razors. The parallax numbering is right on and I am more confident. It does have me scoring better hits at all ranges now. An added benefit is that the parallax can be set as low as 25 yards.
BTW, my newest V-22 Vudoo arrived this afternoon. I'll get everything together and try to take a couple of pics tomorrow. I'm really curious to see how the 22" barrel does against the current 20" I already own.

I don't dig my NF ATACR that much either. Thought several times about selling it.

Good stuff, guys. I'm sorry to hear about your NF parallax woes. Right now, a top contender for my next scope is the Vortex Gen II Razor, the big one. No rush, but the prices are really good now one the Gen II Razor.