• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vudoo 22 Accuracy Gut Check

ESBVader

Total Noob
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2018
NC
I have been testing ammo off and on for the past year or so with my Vudoo. I am testing group sizes at 100 yards. I have the barreled action in a Pre 2014 AICS AX chassis and it is running supressed with an IOR Recon 4-28 scope. I've tested the following from a bench with a heavy rear bag and bipod:

RWS-50
Federal UM22
Federal 922A
Eley Club
Eley Match
Eley Tenex
Eley Subsonic
CCI SV
Lapua Biathalon
Lapua Center X
Lapua Pistol King
American Eagle
SK Standard Plus
SK Rifle Match
SK Long Range Match

I still need to check the SD on SK Rifle Match and the Long Distance Match, but sans those, the best SD's came from:
RWS-50 (5.3), Eley Match (7.4), Lapua Pistol King (5.9), Lapua Biathalon (7.5), and UM22 (4.1)

I settled on testing the SK Rifle Match, SK Long Range Match, Lapua Pistol King, and Center X at 100 yards. Groups measured with Point Blank software. Average group size with 5 shot groups (across a minimum of 5 targets with 5 shot groups each, with the SK having 10 shot groups) is:

Pistol King: 1.2785
Center X: 1.2118
SK Long Rang Match: .9408
SK Rifle Match: .9815

So here is the question, assuming I am not a terrible shot... (big assumption I know... so humor me) Are these the size groups I should be expecting at 100 yards across all the ammo tested or should I be producing smaller groups?

Last edited:
Reactions: Jefe's Dope
Are these the size groups I should be expecting at 100 yards

Yes.

Bugholes can be obtained at 100 yards, but are the exception, not the rule.
At 100 yards 10 fps difference in muzzle velocity with a 40 grain 22lr, produces about 1/4 inch of vertical spread.
With the majority of supposed match ammo producing an ES about 40 fps, that's 1 inch of vertical

before taking into account wind, setup, skill and minor cartridge imperfections.
Check out the 6x5 results for 100 yards being run by jbell.
That's the best we can do at 100 yards, out of multiple attempts.
Those are 30 shot wallet groups being posted. ;)

Thanks for the information! I just haven't been sure quite what to expect in terms of accuracy with the combination of the Vudoo and as you stated "supposed match ammo".

Y'er results at 100 yards can be used to calculate what to expect at lesser distances.
Apply the half-third rule for rimfire. Half the distance will produce one-third the spread.
Tells you what to expect from that setup under similar conditions with that ammo.

Center X produced 1.2 inches of spread.

100 yards = 1.2 inches
50 yards = 0.4 inches
25 yards = 0.17 inches

SKLRM produced 0.94 inches of spread

100 yards = 0.94 inches
50 yards = 0.31 inches
25 yards = 0.1 inches

Convenient comparisons without having to actually spend time at the shorter distances.

Have you tested without a suppressor? You may find that group size changes due to a change in barrel harmonics or suppressor turbulence effect on the bullet. . My 18 inch barreled Vudoo group size will change with the same ammo if I change suppressors or remove the suppressor. So, if your goal is to shoot the smallest groups, you might try without a suppressor or with a different suppressor.
Phil G

Thought I would update the information with some additional values collected today.

Temperature 85 Degrees
Humidity 70%

SK Rifle Match (10 shot string)
Average Velocity: 1113
SD: 9.2
ES: 31 fps

SK Long Range Match (10 shot string)
Average Velocity: 1132
SD: 11.1
ES: 37 fps

Average Group Sizes with 5 Groups consisting of 5 shots each (still suppressed at 50 yards measured in MOA not inches...)
SK Rifle Match: .9254
SK Long Range Match: 1.2726

Looks like for now the winner is SK Rifle Match. Going to do a lot test with it (thanks for the tip @47guy ) and see if I can get any improvements out of that particular ammo.

Thought I would update the information with some additional values collected today.

Temperature 85 Degrees
Humidity 70%

SK Rifle Match (10 shot string)
Average Velocity: 1113
SD: 9.2
ES: 31 fps

SK Long Range Match (10 shot string)
Average Velocity: 1132
SD: 11.1
ES: 37 fps

Average Group Sizes with 5 Groups consisting of 5 shots each (still suppressed at 50 yards measured in MOA not inches...)
SK Rifle Match: .9254
SK Long Range Match: 1.2726

Looks like for now the winner is SK Rifle Match. Going to do a lot test with it (thanks for the tip @47guy ) and see if I can get any improvements out of that particular ammo.

I just shot a lot test of sk rifle match(that’s what shoots best in my vudoo)I had one lot shot like shit and two that shot great but one out shot the other by a tiny bit at 100yds.

Cathy is great and will get you lined out.

And last...70% humidity? WTF!! I die in that lol!! I’m in Nevada where 20% is bad!

We have days that will be in the 90's with 90+% humidity. Today felt rather balmy compared to that. Still, it could be worse. Last time I was in Miami, I realized that we in NC do not have it that bad at all!

Yeah I’ll stay on the west coast...I have 2 kids out that way that I’m going to have to go see at some point.

Reactions: ESBVader
I spent a few years in California and Utah. Loved the contrast in weather!

Can you have someone with known skills try shooting it and see what results they get? Maybe a fellow shooter at the range or match. Most guys seem more than willing to help out. I wouldn't be too pleased with those results from that rifle and that ammo. Following this thread to see how it's resolved. :geek:

I wouldn't be too pleased with those results from that rifle and that ammo

@Jefe's Dope
The groups were actually fairly tight. The measurements I provided were in MOA with the Point Blank software set at 50 yards based on the distance to the target.

If I were to set the distance to 100 yards instead of 50, the numbers you would see would be more of what you'd expect.

Here's an example. In the picture, you can see the size of the aforementioned groups. If I set the distance to 100 yards in Point Blank, the MOA values are .255, .220, .266, etc. When I set the distance value to 50, which is where I shot from, the values change to .511, .439, .532 respectively.

By doing it where I set the actual distance I can see when groups open and close based on distance. It ends up being an apples to apples comparison regardless of distance as long as I account for it.

20190823-201815.jpg

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
Never mind. Those do look good. I was picturing much larger groups. Those all look sub MOA to me. I'm I not reading your OP correctly?

Edit: Those groups in the photo were shot at 100 yards, yes?

Can you have someone with known skills try shooting it and see what results they get? Maybe a fellow shooter at the range or match. Most guys seem more than willing to help out. I wouldn't be too pleased with those results from that rifle and that ammo. Following this thread to see how it's resolved. :geek:

Most don’t get the 1/4 moa groups at 100yds with a vudoo like everyone posts. That’s just their cherry picked groups.

Consistent 1moa or less at 100 yd with a .22 is very acceptable.

Now, a benchrest .22 purposely built for that is a bit different.

The pic of the target is at 50 yards. Smaller than a dime and I am fine with that. Groups are roughly double that size at 100 yards.

"Consistent 1moa or less at 100 yd with a .22 is very acceptable"

That's what I am finding but glad to get confirmation that I am not way off in what I am producing. 10, 5 shot groups with this batch of SK Rifle Match averaged sub MOA.

Last edited:
Y'er results at 100 yards can be used to calculate what to expect at lesser distances.
Apply the half-third rule for rimfire. Half the distance will produce one-third the spread.
Tells you what to expect from that setup under similar conditions with that ammo.

Center X produced 1.2 inches of spread.

100 yards = 1.2 inches
50 yards = 0.4 inches
25 yards = 0.17 inches

SKLRM produced 0.94 inches of spread

100 yards = 0.94 inches
50 yards = 0.31 inches
25 yards = 0.1 inches

Convenient comparisons without having to actually spend time at the shorter distances.

Does this work in reverse out to long ranges with 22LR?

400 yards = 8.5 inches
200 yards = 2.8 inches

100 yards = 0.94 inches
50 yards = 0.31 inches
25 yards = 0.1 inches

I shot some .45 - .55 5 shot 100 meter groups this afternoon with some SK std plus when the wind would cooperate . That's out of a 16.5 inch vudoo . I was pleased to say the least

@Jefe's Dope
The groups were actually fairly tight. The measurements I provided were in MOA with the Point Blank software set at 50 yards based on the distance to the target.

If I were to set the distance to 100 yards instead of 50, the numbers you would see would be more of what you'd expect.

Here's an example. In the picture, you can see the size of the aforementioned groups. If I set the distance to 100 yards in Point Blank, the MOA values are .255, .220, .266, etc. When I set the distance value to 50, which is where I shot from, the values change to .511, .439, .532 respectively.

By doing it where I set the actual distance I can see when groups open and close based on distance. It ends up being an apples to apples comparison regardless of distance as long as I account for it.

20190823-201815.jpg

I am trying to follow you. These group shot at 50 yds. What do they measure center to center or overall - the bullet Dia. ? I'm talking in inches not MOA. Looks like you are saying in the 0.2's at 50yds. what are you getting at 100yds. ?

Mark

I shot some .45 - .55 5 shot 100 meter groups this afternoon with some SK std plus when the wind would cooperate . That's out of a 16.5 inch vudoo . I was pleased to say the least

I've had random groups of .5" at 100 yards. Maybe 2 out of 10 or so but haven't been able to average that. What I was showing above was an average of groups, not a single group. My average with just a bench, bipod, and rear bag with SK Rifle Match at 100 yards was .98"

I used a Caldwell sled yesterday to shoot a few groups and found that my group size averaged .75" at 100 yards using that tool and I feel that even that could have been tightened up some. The .2" difference at 100 yards without the sled is all on me (shooter skill).

I am trying to follow you. These group shot at 50 yds. What do they measure center to center or overall - the bullet Dia. ? I'm talking in inches not MOA. Looks like you are saying in the 0.2's at 50yds. what are you getting at 100yds. ?

Mark

@MarkCZ , that is correct. The groups measured .230" to .278" at 50yards. As posted just above this, I think this could easilly be tightened up once I get past a few personal inconsistencies.

Here's a pic of the groups with the MOA and the inch size documented.

Screen-Hunter-432.jpg

Send it to Lapua for testing. They'll let you know what is best in your rifle. Then buy several cases.

Send it to Lapua for testing. They'll let you know what is best in your rifle. Then buy several cases.

Just called them earlier this week and left a message. I plan on doing that soon!

Sub 1" at 100y is not too bad. Translating to 0.31" at 50y again that is not too bad. For example the USBR 50y benchrest target has a 10 ring that measure 0.10". A perfect score is 250 pts for 25 shots. To do that your rifle must be capable of grouping 25 shots into a 0.324" group at 50y measured center to center. To to get the "X" you have to obliterate the 10 ring which shrinks your group to an eye popping 0.124" if I did the math right. Few guns can get 250 25x and fewer shooters. I shot a outdoor match this summer and scored a 250 14x and was good enough to win my class which was factory stock match grade rifles. I think the custom class had 19x that day. It is bloody difficult to string together 25 or 30 perfect shots. One lapse of concentration, one whiff of wind, one bad round in the box and you are done. Odds of having a few bad rounds is real with rimfire and even with match ammo, a certain amount of luck has to factor in. The tgt attached was fired at 50y from a bench with sandbag rests in near perfect outdoor conditions using Lapua CX. There are eight 5-shot groups on the tgt including the coldbore group in the upper left. This was made with an exceptional rifle and still the groups struggle to be under 1/2" edge to edge. The upper right group was the best (the wallet group) but it is the notable exception among the others. That same rifle struggles to consistently shoot sub MOA at 100y. The last time I tried it averaged about 0.70 MOA at 100y. It can be frustrating if you have high precision centerfire rifles that can do bugholes at 100y and further.
6x5 5.1.15c.jpg

Trying to follow this post, I'd expect groups to be tighter from the 6x5's that @RainierRimfire and @jbell did with their vudoos. I believe they've done a few 6x5's around .5" at 100 yards. I have a Tikka T1X which I believe the Vudoo shoots better, and I'm considering getting a new barrel soon.

I've shot through a few thousand rounds now, and initially all I did was 6x5's, but gave up on that as NRL22 matches isn't that. I also found it a lot easier to shoot via a bench/rest than in prone. But all mine were done via Prone, and I think they'd tighten up a lot more if I had put the gun in a heavy rest on a bench.

Examples -- 6x5's Center to Center at 100 yards, outdoors.
Eley Target 1-1.3" avg Prone (Across 5 6x6's)
Eley Target 0.71" avg Bench
Eley Tenex 0.75" avg Prone. This is from 3 6x5's, 18 groups
Eley Match Biathlon, 0.75" Bench
SK Standard Plus, .91-1.3" Prone (15 6x5's, as I got better a lot more of my 6x5's were at the 1" avg, some .91")

Smallest group I've done I think is around .4". I've had a few 4shots in .3" hole and 1 fuck up shot many times.

For now I'm happy with shooting Eley Target for all my matches at $5.50 a box.

I did cherry pick this group but all were under 1” at 100. I tried Lapua, Wolf, CCI SV, SK Rifle and Aguila. I shot at 50, 75 and 100 and Wolf consistently won at every distance.

6E848935-C9B0-42F9-BA26-B5591EE35CFE.png

Yes sir, Wolf Match Extra. It’s always been my go to 22 ammo for accuracy. Hard to beat for the price too.

I did cherry pick this group but all were under 1” at 100. I tried Lapua, Wolf, CCI SV, SK Rifle and Aguila. I shot at 50, 75 and 100 and Wolf consistently won at every distance.

View attachment 7147036

I understand it’s cherry picked but Jesus it’s still impressive. I’ve got a lot of sub moa 100yd groups from my custom 10/22 but nothing even cherry picked close to that!

This was Lapua Center X and 10 shots. I know the lower right shot was me but I’m certain the others were the ammo. Still a damn nice group but the Wolf was still consistently better.

F4704367-F290-44DF-8843-54500475AC25.jpeg

Trying to follow this post, I'd expect groups to be tighter from the 6x5's that @RainierRimfire and @jbell did with their vudoos. I believe they've done a few 6x5's around .5" at 100 yards. I have a Tikka T1X which I believe the Vudoo shoots better, and I'm considering getting a new barrel soon.

I've shot through a few thousand rounds now, and initially all I did was 6x5's, but gave up on that as NRL22 matches isn't that. I also found it a lot easier to shoot via a bench/rest than in prone. But all mine were done via Prone, and I think they'd tighten up a lot more if I had put the gun in a heavy rest on a bench.

Examples -- 6x5's Center to Center at 100 yards, outdoors.
Eley Target 1-1.3" avg Prone (Across 5 6x6's)
Eley Target 0.71" avg Bench
Eley Tenex 0.75" avg Prone. This is from 3 6x5's, 18 groups
Eley Match Biathlon, 0.75" Bench
SK Standard Plus, .91-1.3" Prone (15 6x5's, as I got better a lot more of my 6x5's were at the 1" avg, some .91")

Smallest group I've done I think is around .4". I've had a few 4shots in .3" hole and 1 fuck up shot many times.

For now I'm happy with shooting Eley Target for all my matches at $5.50 a box.

Nice shooting. All mine were shot prone. Like you, I would find some way to mess up that fifth shot. I started out shooting 10 shot groups and gave that up at 100. I did shoot a really nice 20 shot group at 50, also with Wolf. I am going to try some Eley Target also and maybe some SK Long Range.

You guys try the sk pistol match...about 10 guys shooting at our club.

My gun shoots the sk rifle match just a tiny bit better at 100+ yds...the sk pistol has shot in everything we have tried it in.

I have a little time shooting pretty damn accurate rimfire rifles over the years and have come to realize that accuracy is absolutely not linear as the distance increases. There are a lot of factors that go into shooting good groups at 100 yards with the most obvious being #1 wind, #2 ammo and the one that I think most people don’t consider is shooter inconsistency. The most stable position I shoot from is prone off a bipod and a small TAB bag, so definitely not as stable as off a high end Benchrest setup. You have to realize that the time that a rimfire bullet takes to exit the muzzle is long enough to expose errors in fundamentals in a big way.

In addition to that I have some other theories on squeezing the most out of rimfire at longer ranges that involve a faster twist barrel (I shoot s 15t), rifling designed to create the least distortion as possible to the bullet I shoot a 3 groove, IMO they are better because there is a land opposing a groove so less squeeze, I feel having less grooves cut into the bullet allows the bullet to be less affected by the wind as there is less edges on the bullet for the wind to act against, I also feel a longer barrel 24”-27” are inherently more accurate than a shorter barrel I think the length allows the harmonics to dissipate before the bullet exits the muzzle so the bullet exits a more stable muzzle (much less whip) and the length helps slow the bullets down some keeping them far away from the transonic velocity (I find a slower bullet is inherently more accurate than those that are up around 1075-1080 FPS). But again if your going to shoot a long barrel and slow velocity ammo you had best have your fundamentals nailed down!

But to the point. To me a rifle that can hold 3/4 MOA or less consistently at 100 yards is starting to get in the game. I have owned many rifles that were absolutely capable of considerably less. The shooter on the other hand...

Sub 1" at 100y is not too bad. Translating to 0.31" at 50y again that is not too bad. For example the USBR 50y benchrest target has a 10 ring that measure 0.10". A perfect score is 250 pts for 25 shots. To do that your rifle must be capable of grouping 25 shots into a 0.324" group at 50y measured center to center. To to get the "X" you have to obliterate the 10 ring which shrinks your group to an eye popping 0.124" if I did the math right. Few guns can get 250 25x and fewer shooters. I shot a outdoor match this summer and scored a 250 14x and was good enough to win my class which was factory stock match grade rifles. I think the custom class had 19x that day. It is bloody difficult to string together 25 or 30 perfect shots. One lapse of concentration, one whiff of wind, one bad round in the box and you are done. Odds of having a few bad rounds is real with rimfire and even with match ammo, a certain amount of luck has to factor in. The tgt attached was fired at 50y from a bench with sandbag rests in near perfect outdoor conditions using Lapua CX. There are eight 5-shot groups on the tgt including the coldbore group in the upper left. This was made with an exceptional rifle and still the groups struggle to be under 1/2" edge to edge. The upper right group was the best (the wallet group) but it is the notable exception among the others. That same rifle struggles to consistently shoot sub MOA at 100y. The last time I tried it averaged about 0.70 MOA at 100y. It can be frustrating if you have high precision centerfire rifles that can do bugholes at 100y and further. View attachment 7146826

Was at my first USBR state match last Saturday and a new record was shot in the unlimited class, 250 with 25x I believe (score is posted on USBR web site now but says 52x). This was shot in the morning and was told it was perfect conditions. I made it late with only 2 relays to go. I think I had the only Vudoo there and got a lot of questions.
Nice shooting

Last edited:
When I ordered ammo they were out of SK pistol, it is for sure on the list to try though.

Love that IOR Recon. I have one and it's fantastic. Tracks 100% and is super clear. Clearer than my Minox, Vortex Razor HD, etc. I need taller rings for it though. Only have High Rings. Need X High and it would be perfect.

OP, take a look at the first page of the 6X5 thread. There have been three iterations of this thread and we are fortunate that jbell saved the first from the old Hide, the second from the Scout iteration of the Hide and then restarted the third iteration when the Hide came home. You will see some of the same names on all three in the top ten spots. That's because they shoot very well and because they shoot good rifles with the better grades of ammo. And......And they shoot a lot.

If you are averaging under an inch at a hundred you are shooting well. If the question is will a Vudoo generally shoot better than the high nines at a hundred that depends on the shooter, his ammo and the enviros. I think most Vudoos are capable of being in the sevens. I am surprised that Center-X did not perform better for you. If I correctly understand how the manufacturer selects for the various grades of ammo you may have gotten a crappy lot or lots of Center-X. Ravage has stated the Vudoo's chamber was designed around Lapua/SK ammo. The suggestion of having a shooter of known abilities is always a good one but a caution is that his skills must be there on a bipod and bag. Then you have a comparison that is relative to the results you are producing.

Your last post, with the reference to other scopes you have used, would indicate the "total noob" title is probably not appropriate. Find the right ammo, practice, focus on fundamentals and you will reach your goals.

OP, take a look at the first page of the 6X5 thread. There have been three iterations of this thread and we are fortunate that jbell saved the first from the old Hide, the second from the Scout iteration of the Hide and then restarted the third iteration when the Hide came home. You will see some of the same names on all three in the top ten spots. That's because they shoot very well and because they shoot good rifles with the better grades of ammo. And......And they shoot a lot.

If you are averaging under an inch at a hundred you are shooting well. If the question is will a Vudoo generally shoot better than the high nines at a hundred that depends on the shooter, his ammo and the enviros. I think most Vudoos are capable of being in the sevens. I am surprised that Center-X did not perform better for you. If I correctly understand how the manufacturer selects for the various grades of ammo you may have gotten a crappy lot or lots of Center-X. Ravage has stated the Vudoo's chamber was designed around Lapua/SK ammo. The suggestion of having a shooter of known abilities is always a good one but a caution is that his skills must be there on a bipod and bag. Then you have a comparison that is relative to the results you are producing.

Your last post, with the reference to other scopes you have used, would indicate the "total noob" title is probably not appropriate. Find the right ammo, practice, focus on fundamentals and you will reach your goals.

Thanks for the info! Last week I was able to check out the 6x5 thread you are referring to and was able to get some really good information from it. I've made a few changes and have been able to get some better results. I am using SK Rifle Match and am usually getting between .8 and .9 at 100. I've gotten a few .6 to .7 sprinkled in there but they seem to get offset by a random 1.1 to 1.2...

As far as being a noob, I just like the idea that there's always something for me to learn and realize there's plenty I don't know so just trying to keep it real... ?

I feel a lot more comfortable at this point but, as I am sure many others probably feel, would love to just find ammo that works without all the headaches. I am considering trying out the Lapua test center and seeing what they come up with. Who knows, maybe I just lucked out with a terrible lot of Center X for my rifle. SK is doing fine in the mean time though!

Last edited:
If you are wanting to improve your skills, shoot for score, not groups.
Groups simply require repetitive body positioning and minimal adjustments to rifle alignment.
Shooting for score with a one dot-one shot target results in faster improvement.
Having to reposition, realign, adjust your body, to be able to hit what you aim at
and the feedback from where you hit, teaches you what you are doing wrong, or right.
It will make a difference in your results on target, fast.

Try these targets at 50 or 100 yards...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XVMm9xPYLLuXp5s1-jOvphhxn7dQtkMR/view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9bpeeP7WFgFbHRMWTg5VnJRNWM/view

PDF's you can download, print 8.5x11 actual size, 100%

If you are wanting to improve your skills, shoot for score, not groups.
Groups simply require repetitive body positioning and minimal adjustments to rifle alignment.
Shooting for score with a one dot-one shot target results in faster improvement.
Having to reposition, realign, adjust your body, to be able to hit what you aim at
and the feedback from where you hit, teaches you what you are doing wrong, or right.
It will make a difference in your results on target, fast.

Try these targets at 50 or 100 yards...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XVMm9xPYLLuXp5s1-jOvphhxn7dQtkMR/view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9bpeeP7WFgFbHRMWTg5VnJRNWM/view

PDF's you can download, print 8.5x11 actual size, 100%

Yep!

Though I think doing drills and repositioning does help improve your shooting, understanding what it takes to repeat a shot is very important. Shooting groups or dots seems to make little difference to me as long as you are thinking and working through technique on every shot. But again, it is purposeful trigger pulls at the end of the day.