• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vudoo 360 w/ Bartlein 1.20" Barrel for PRS Rimfire - Tuner or No?

USMC22

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2017
New Hampshire
If you were having a Vudoo 360 built out for PRS Rimfire and overall fun range gun. . . would you put an EC V2 Tuner on it or no and why?

I've never used a tuner before, but understand the theory of harmonics and trying to find a node. I've heard some say the barrel is too thick / heavy while others say there is still a benefit.

If you thread it you can add a tuner/can afterwards. I wouldn't put anything on the muzzle until I saw how it show with the ammo of my choice.

Reactions: USMC22
I'd shoot it first, to distances you will be playing at. I have 2 Ec V2's, they work for my application. I just slapped together a Rim X with M 24 barrel today, if I run a tuner, it will be a clamp on, (Harrels?)
If you do have the barrel threaded, go 3/4-24 or whatever it is, or 5/8-24, no logical reason to go 1/2-28 like I did.

I'd shoot it first, to distances you will be playing at. I have 2 Ec V2's, they work for my application. I just slapped together a Rim X with M 24 barrel today, if I run a tuner, it will be a clamp on, (Harrels?)
If you do have the barrel threaded, go 3/4-24 or whatever it is, or 5/8-24, no logical reason to go 1/2-28 like I did.
When not doing the EC Tuner's vudoo does the 1.20 bartleins as 5/8x24

I thought about the 1/2x28 being for a thread on 22 suppressor if I went that route

here’s a 26” 1.250 straight with a direct thread to a spearhead tuner. I have a thread protector as well incase I don’t want to use it or don’t need it.
IMG_2616.jpeg

I’d get a tuner. My last had an MTU and 5/8-24 threading and I had an ATS tuner on it and when getting my 23” 1.2” I got the EC V2 on it. Shot great before tuning and shot better after tuned. All I use my rifles for is PRS/NRL/MARS style matches.

BB588CF0-DEF5-45F8-9198-505969CD09E1.jpeg

I put an ATS tuner on mine. Threaded 3/4x24.

They add a little weight all the way out front and mate up nicely to a can.

I should add...

Look at all the podium folks at the PRS Finale and World Championship. How many tuners do you see?

I bet we all know the answer. :)

And since we are showing cool pics...

VKNLAUu.jpg
Looks great, mine should bed back from Modacam in the next few weeks

I should add...

Look at all the podium folks at the PRS Finale and World Championship. How many tuners do you see?

I bet we all know the answer. :)

And since we are showing cool pics...

VKNLAUu.jpg

You forgot to say ...just sayin'. LOL

USMC22 don't get one if you don't want but for me it's a better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. It doesn't hurt anything to have it on there except the cost of it.

On the other side of the coin...

The guys that are obsessed about accuracy. Benchrest shooters. Take a look at top finishers there.

Reactions: BowChamp
It's another variable for you to consider and deal with.

If you like tinkering and playing around with different variables in your ballistics, then go for it.

I would take any claims around tuners improving performance with a very heavy grain of salt. A lot of conclusions get drawn in our sport with very little proper testing.

I think it should come down to whether you enjoy tinkering and playing with variables or not. You can find success with and without a tuner, so a tuner is not the huge advantage some make it out to be.

On the other side of the coin...

The guys that are obsessed about accuracy. Benchrest shooters. Take a look at top finishers there.

They will do a lot of things that will provide any perceived advantage - that in itself is not proof of anything. There's a lot of superstitions and lore amongst that crowd.

Just perceived hammering unfortunately as tuners don’t work. Lol
If anything I tell people to get one because they are interesting to mess with IMO. Like the other day I was just messing around and found this new tune. It’s very repeatable too.

Attachments

• IMG_8437.jpeg
    IMG_8437.jpeg
    543.4 KB · Views: 38
Since this thread is on the topic on 1.2'' barrels. Is it the individual's preference on picking barrel lengths over 22''?

Vudoo told me that there isn't much improvement in accuracy over 22'' and recommended that length for a 1.2'' build... but I do see a lot of 1.2'' builds with 23''-26'' barrels. I have read in certain threads that with a longer barrel, ES/SD is more consistent but I could have misinterpreted that.

I'm currently in search for more info for a future build. I'm thinking a 23'' barrel (1.2'') in a MPA Pro would balance well. I hope I'm not throwing this thread off topic

Since this thread is on the topic on 1.2'' barrels. Is it the individual's preference on picking barrel lengths over 22''?

Vudoo told me that there isn't much improvement in accuracy over 22'' and recommended that length for a 1.2'' build... but I do see a lot of 1.2'' builds with 23''-26'' barrels. I have read in certain threads that with a longer barrel, ES/SD is more consistent but I could have misinterpreted that.

I'm currently in search for more info for a future build. I'm thinking a 23'' barrel (1.2'') in a MPA Pro would balance well. I hope I'm not throwing this thread off topic
Barrel length has very little if any effect on 22lr accuracy. This has been proven time and time again. If you want the most accuracy you can get from a barrel you don't just pick a length and cut and crown. Bore diameter is far more important than barrel length. Have the barrel slugged to determine the tight spot and cut and crown at that point. Length being what it winds up being. If you're dead set on a particular length barrel then you need to have it taper lapped to put the restriction at the crown.