• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vudoo Barrel Contour pick

Halfnutz

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 14, 2008
    Peoria County, Illinois
    Looking hard at a Vudoo Apparition.
    So far I am leaning towards the MPA chassis due to its toolless adjustability.

My usage potentially covers several applications.
    Our local ranges only go to 200 & 300yards as of now. I have access to farther.
    In the past I have shot in the local leagues that include 50yrd rim fire bechrest, 50ft indoor 4 position (prone,seated, kneeling, off hand), and a 50m outdoor offhand only.

I'm thik'n a 20 inch barrel but am undecided on between the MTU and Kukri barrel profiles. Any one using either offhand?

How is the weight distribution/balance?

Is the MTU too heavy?

Thanks.

I have the MPU 20" in a MPA BA Comp. If I remember correctly the MTU is about a pound heavier than the Kukri. In the BA Comp it is just a tad rear heavy. I just swapped to the MPA last night coming from a KRG Bravo and the Bravo balanced perfectly in front of the mag. If you want balance I would not go with the Kukri.

I have the MPU 20" in a MPA BA Comp. If I remember correctly the MTU is about a pound heavier than the Kukri. In the BA Comp it is just a tad rear heavy. I just swapped to the MPA last night coming from a KRG Bravo and the Bravo balanced perfectly in front of the mag. If you want balance I would not go with the Kukri.

Thanks for the input. As a "Do-All" application and not being able to handle any samples makes for a gamble. When I talk about spending $5k for a .22 rifle and scope everyone around here looks at me like I'm not just halfnutz.

Yeah Im still wondering the same about myself. One thing that pushed me towards the MTU was if it was too heavy I would just have it fluted. Which I still may do anyway. I love the look of it so why not start with the barrel with more meat.

Yeah same here. I definitely wont be sending it to any backyard machinist I find on craigslist(not to say there arent some amazing ones). I actually sent Area419 a message yesterday asking if they do any fluting or if they knew of anyone reputable in Ohio. Beyond that if I am really stuck on having it done I will send it back to Vudoo or whoever they recommend.

Reactions: Halfnutz
    Thanks for the input. As a "Do-All" application and not being able to handle any samples makes for a gamble. When I talk about spending $5k for a .22 rifle and scope everyone around here looks at me like I'm not just halfnutz.
    Where are you located. Im sure someone is near by. If you want to come to central Ohio you can check mine out. We also have a local Vudoo dealer here that should have some barreled actions along with his build which might be a Kukri also in a BA Comp.

Reactions: BuckeyeSniper
    I went with a 22’ mtu in a mpa esr. With out scope, suppressor or bipod, it’s currently balances on the trigger guard. Waiting on the three items above to come in so I can gauge whether if i need to ad weights to the fore-end.

edit: bare rifle is sitting at 16ish lbs

Last edited:
    Where are you located. Im sure someone is near by. If you want to come to central Ohio you can check mine out. We also have a local Vudoo dealer here that should have some barreled actions along with his build which might be a Kukri also in a BA Comp.

DPRI, Democratic Peoples Republic of Illinois, it's a suburb of Chicago.😞

Reactions: Badjujuu
    I've got a 20" MTU in a Foundation and the ass end is heavy. I would go 22" if looking for something to balance well.

I have an 18" Kukri. If I could do it again, I'd get a 20" MTU.
    To solve my MPA balance, I'm using an ultralite rear end, it works!
    But I really want to try a Manners EH5 thumbhole with a fixed cheek and arca rail set up...
    Trying new schtuff is part of the fun 😎

PXL_20201107_154311042.MP.jpg

I have an 18" Kukri. If I could do it again, I'd get a 20" MTU.
    To solve my MPA balance, I'm using an ultralite rear end, it works!
    But I really want to try a Manners EH5 thumbhole with a fixed cheek and arca rail set up...
    Trying new schtuff is part of the fun 😎

View attachment 7481204
    Does your rifle balance with just the two weights? I'm trying to figure out how much weight I need to get balance without making the rifle much heavier.

Does your rifle balance with just the two weights? I'm trying to figure out how much weight I need to get balance without making the rifle much heavier.

Even with those 2 weights, it balances right in front of the magwell. I wish it was about an inch more forward though. If I used the MPA internal weights, or more external ones, it might balance better, but then it would be too heavy, and the internal weights don't fit with the Area419 rail.
    You'll probably just have to tinker until you're satisfied...

Even with those 2 weights, it balances right in front of the magwell. I wish it was about an inch more forward though. If I used the MPA internal weights, or more external ones, it might balance better, but then it would be too heavy, and the internal weights don't fit with the Area419 rail.
    You'll probably just have to tinker until you're satisfied...
    I was wondering about the internal weights and the 419 arca. I have the same one and it doesnt look like it will work but the 419 website says it does. Was just thinking about doing kinda the same thing you did and just find 2 of the Gray Ops weights. I think that would be enough.

The internal weights need relief holes to fit the nuts that hold the rail. Would be easy with a table press drill, but I'm not equipped. Otherwise easy to do!

I have a 22” MTU. With no additional weights it balances about 2” in front of the mag well. Also, I am in Illinois just north of the I80-I39 intersection if you would like to check it out in person. @Halfnutz
    38B33310-13F5-4A94-8FEE-302CB00A95F1.jpeg

Good think about a vudoo especially in this forum you could always sell it and start over

Lol it is a decent circumvent with lead times if you find your holy grail. I’m currently looking for a 19/20” in a ACC

I run an 18" Kukri contour and wouldn't change a thing. Plenty heavy enough for a .22 as you are not fighting recoil and balances perfectly in my Manners PRS2. Also easy to get around with from position to position so no fighting extra weight. Weighs 12.5 pounds.
    IMG_1150.jpg

ETA: 5/23 the action was sent in for a 23" Bartlein 1.2" barrel with EC V2 tuner to give a try. Getting my 18" barrel back to so I can change them at home if needed.

Very nice looking setup RobO1 is that a vortex amg on that rifle.I have a Mcmillan A3A in route to my house to put my vudoo in and I will put a ZC-4X20 on it.I love my vudoo rifle it is just so much fun.

Thanks. Actually that is a Strike Eagle 5-25 on it. I had a Razor II on it but when I got the Strike Eagle earlier in the year I wanted to put it through its paces and no better place than a .22 for dialing up and down to stress the elevation system. Actually works great on there so no rush to take it off and move it.

Reactions: Quickoz and Moose
    @Rob01, as with all my builds, I start with the Manners stock. Ordered a PRS1T (wish the PRS2 came with a thumb shelf) and will order the Vudoo when I get my 6 week notice from Manners.

What ceracote color is that on your barell? It will go well with the Elite Tac clear web I’m waiting on.

Nice setup.

@Rob01, as with all my builds, I start with the Manners stock. Ordered a PRS1T (wish the PRS2 came with a thumb shelf) and will order the Vudoo when I get my 6 week notice from Manners.

What ceracote color is that on your barell? It will go well with the Elite Tac clear web I’m waiting on.

Nice setup.

Thanks. Color is the basic black. You order it with the Gen II Mini Chassis?

Thanks, no mini chassis. I’ve got two with, and two without. My smith prefers bedding (maybe the $$ as well)

Since this is strictly for the Vudoo, thought I’d save a few bucks.

Reactions: Rob01
    Between bottom metal costs and bedding cost it almost works out a push but with mini chassis I can move another barreled action into the stock easy enough. My Vudoo was actually in a few of my other stocks before I settled on this one. But seeing as it’s just for the Vudoo I guess it doesn’t matter. Post pics when done.

Reactions: DellaDog
    I have 20 inch Kukri ran it in a MPA comp ba with the internal weights still to butt heavy switch to hybrid MPA with internal weights just slightly butt heavy not bad but for PRs shooting not good enough.
    would go with heavier barrel for MPA chassis.

Between bottom metal costs and bedding cost it almost works out a push but with mini chassis I can move another barreled action into the stock easy enough. My Vudoo was actually in a few of my other stocks before I settled on this one. But seeing as it’s just for the Vudoo I guess it doesn’t matter. Post pics when done.

Huh, I guess somewhere along the line I talked myself into the mini-chasis. I just looked up my email confirmation/change and found this from a few months ago ... (glad to hear the mini-chassis is working well with the Vudoo)

MCS-PRS1T
    RIGHT HANDED
    Shell - ELITE HUNTER
    Action - VUDOO .22LR
    Trigger Guard - MCS-DBM SHORT ACTION MINI CHASSIS (GEN 2)
    Barrel Contour - VUDOO - Kukri
    Butt Pad - 1/2 INCH PAD
    Finish - ELITE TAC CLEAR WEB - BLACK
    Hardware - ATLAS PIC RAIL BT-17
    Hardware - FLUSH CUP NON-ROTATING 1 BTM REAR
    Hardware - FLUSH CUP NON-ROTATING - LEFT

That’s good. Now when the barreled action comes in you can drop it in and be shooting in about 5 min. No smiths needed.

Reactions: DellaDog
    Who is the local Vudoo dealer to Ohio? Do they keep much inventory? I'm having a hard time finding anyone with a selection of the nicer stocks to compare side by side. I occasionally run across a fellow shooter with one of the many stocks, but hard to remember what one was like a few months ago when looking at another. Thinking about just starting out with the Bravo since it's not terribly high priced then saving up for a Manners or Foundation if the Bravo doesn't work out.

I just ordered my second Bravo! I'd like to sell off my Tikka TAC A1 folding stock and use a Bravo, that's how much I like them!

Reactions: BuckeyeSniper
    Who is the local Vudoo dealer to Ohio? Do they keep much inventory? I'm having a hard time finding anyone with a selection of the nicer stocks to compare side by side. I occasionally run across a fellow shooter with one of the many stocks, but hard to remember what one was like a few months ago when looking at another. Thinking about just starting out with the Bravo since it's not terribly high priced then saving up for a Manners or Foundation if the Bravo doesn't work out.
    Go find a local match. There will be plenty of people there willing to let you fondle their stocks/chassis.