• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vudoo barrel questions

Kisssofdeath

House of Yates
Minuteman
  • May 9, 2018
    Virginia
    I'm on the verge of finally getting a Vudoo rifle. Barrel wise, I was wondering what other's have bought.

1. Which contour did you get?
    2. What length did you get?
    3. Bartlein or Ace
    4. Threaded or not?

Are you happy with your choices? What would you do different?

Another question is, does the Bartlein 22 lr have cut rifling like their centerfire barrels are?

I'll be use a B&A Tac Sport Pro trigger. Can anyone tell me which size upper sear is needed?

1. Kukri
    2. 18"
    3. Ace
    4. Threaded

Got that set up as it was about all that was available when I got my Vudoo over 4.5 years ago as it's a Gen 1 serial number 10. All depends on what you plan to do with the rifle. What are you doing with it?

If your goal is to shoot 1/4" groups consistently like your other rifles and also you don't want it to be picky...

22" Krieger Heavy Palma
    Modacam Rifles to do the chambering
    Not threaded - get a holeshot tuner
    And high sear for the bna

If you're okay with ammo pickiness and want to take the time to do lot testing I would go with the Benchmark 22"

1. Kukri
    2. 22
    3. Batlein
    4. Threaded

Very happy
    Only 2 other vudoos to compare to not sure of there profile length etc but it will out shoot them but one doesn't have very many rounds through it

Accuracy falls off around 500 rounds , clean the chamber run a patch or two through it and accuracy comes back

1. MTU
    2. 22”
    3. Bartlein
    4. Threaded

It’s off getting rebarreled now, up from an 18” threaded Ace Kukri. The old barrel shot just fine, but I wanted this to be a trainer that would nearly match my CF rig, a 24” MTU. Plus I wanted it to balance more forward, and a longer + heavier barrel was my preferred way to do that. My chassis won’t readily accept weights, and the end of the barrel is the most effective location to add weight for balance anyway 😁

Not all want this balance thing, or think it’s important, but I wanted it for my own reasons. Ymmv. I’ve heard good things about longer barrels in 22LR (within reason), excited to try out the Bart when it gets back to me.

Thanks to everyone so far for the feedback. I'm 99% sure I'll place an order on Monday...the other 1% is if I'm no longer breathing.

Accuracy is the most important criteria.

I will use it for bench shooting, KYL targets, local competition, short and long range. NO hunting, have other guns for that.

Weight isn't a huge concern.

I had planned on getting the action "with barrel" from Vudoo. Only barrels they offer are Bartlein and Ace. My original thoughts were 20" Bartlein with a Kukri profile. To thread or not would be based on whether Bartlein 22LR barrels also have cut rifling.

I talked with Jill Parrot at Vudoo today. She said the majority of people were getting the 22" Bartlein, MTU and not threaded. She didn't mention twist so I'd imagine 16". She suggested I come on here and ask people what they got. She said the MTU profile would look better in the MPA chassis. IDK.

I have to ask, everyone except Rob01 recommends or got a 22" barrel. What made you all decide on that length?

For me it was mostly balance and mimicking the CF rig. As for rifling, yes the Barts are cut, as are the Ace. VGW told me a week or two ago they won’t even thread button barrels. Yes it’s a 16” twist.

I’ve heard some commentary on here that a few people have seen better ammo tolerance (i.e., less picky) with longer barrels, can neither confirm nor deny but that’d be great for me lol.

Lastly, if I were you I’d buy from Altus and get my gun months sooner.

Most of us shoot some sort of dynamic sport and we are not chasing .1".

If you ask Vudoo what they're putting on their single shot rifle used in benchrest it isn't doing to be an 18" or 20". Probably something in the 22-26 range.

I would ask them what their most popular single shot barrel and profile that is ordered and put that on your Vudoo.

Single shot you can do shilen ratchet, benchmark, and muller.

I got a benchmark put on my repeater.

I wanted a 24” but that was special order and would take longer , VGW recommended the 22” if I wanted a long barrel and said they didn’t think I would gain much as they haven’t seen much /any gains with longer than 22” ,I have also wished a few times that I had gotten the mtu to try to squeeze out some accuracy but I got the thinner barrel because I already have heavy barrel 22 lr . I’m up in the air if you ask me about threading the barrel as I like using my suppressor but for best accuracy I read that the non threaded guns shoot better , with all that said it does shoot good and I am happy with it

I have owned:
    Kukri’s & threaded
    2 - 20” Ace
    1 - 20” Bart
    1 - 22” Bart

MTU:
    1 - 20” Bart threaded

Benchmark 3 groove - 26” kind of a Kukri not threaded

Very happy with all of them!

Reactions: littlepod
    1) Kukri
    2) 18”
    3) Ace
    4) Threaded
    Mile High had BA’s in stock. The only thing I would change is I wouldn’t have it threaded- not needed as I don’t plan on running a suppressor.

Current Vudoo is a 20" Threaded MTU. Being left-handed and not wanting to wait the (at that time) 4+ months for a replacement for my Anschutz 1761's I went with the only barreled action that I could find. Have 4200+ rounds through it, about 85% unsuppressed. It's in a KRG Bravo for which I have a Vision forearm ready to install.

Its back up is on order and I wanted something a little lighter, so I have a 20" threaded carbon fiber kukri due in the end of August. This one will be in a McMillian U-1 stock.

Thinking that I might want to add a V-22S left bolt, right feed and set it up strictly for F-class.

Don

Reactions: littlepod
    22” Bartlein MTU threaded. Only thing I’d do different is special order a heavier contour from the start.
    You mean like a 1.25" diameter to the muzzle?

I'va also contacted Mike Bush to get his opinion.

Thanks to all who have had input.

Reactions: Badjujuu
    1) MTU
    2) 20"
    3) Ace
    4) Threaded
    Could live without threads, this is a rifle built to play a game and I never use a suppressor in a match. With all the ?? about relieving material at the muzzle I would skip next time.

1) MTU
    2) 20"
    3) Ace
    4) Threaded
    Could live without threads, this is a rifle built to play a game and I never use a suppressor in a match. With all the ?? about relieving material at the muzzle I would skip next time.
    I would too.. and hate I let myself get talked into it.

I took the proof 20 inch and put the EC tapered tuner on it. Love it more every time I shoot it.

20”, MTU, Bartlien (only because I pulled the action and found the “B”), and threaded. Full disclosure I didn’t know what I was doing and went by feels but the rifle did great at the match yesterday! Me? Not so much :LOL: I am very pleased with Vudoos implementation of my creation. Doing it again? I might go with a 22” MTU to tweak the balance (I’m not really complaining. The rifle felt pretty balanced with a plate and the Shmedium bag) and no threads cuz’ I read they shoot better? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
    Update: talked with Mike Bush and got his input. Will place an order tomorrow. When finalized I'll report on the specs. Thanks again for everyone's input.

GEN2 RH V22
    1. MTU
    2. 20"
    3. Ace
    4. Threaded

GEN2 LH V22
    1. MTU
    2. 22"
    3. Ace
    4. Threaded

360 LH V22
    1. MTU
    2. 22"
    3. Ace
    4. Non-Threaded

Current Vudoo is a 20" Threaded MTU. Being left-handed and not wanting to wait the (at that time) 4+ months for a replacement for my Anschutz 1761's I went with the only barreled action that I could find. Have 4200+ rounds through it, about 85% unsuppressed. It's in a KRG Bravo for which I have a Vision forearm ready to install.

Its back up is on order and I wanted something a little lighter, so I have a 20" threaded carbon fiber kukri due in the end of August. This one will be in a McMillian U-1 stock.

Thinking that I might want to add a V-22S left bolt, right feed and set it up strictly for F-class.

Don
    "Thinking that I might want to add a V-22S left bolt, right feed and set it up strictly for F-class."

Yes - this is my bucket list as well. Also pipe dream if they could do that with repeater ......

"Thinking that I might want to add a V-22S left bolt, right feed and set it up strictly for F-class."

Yes - this is my bucket list as well. Also pipe dream if they could do that with repeater ......

I wonder what's the downside for doing left feed, right bolt (for us righties) on a repeater? Wouldn't it make it easier to fix any feed/jam issues?

I wonder what's the downside for doing left feed, right bolt (for us righties) on a repeater? Wouldn't it make it easier to fix any feed/jam issues?
    I can only speak from the NRL22 perspective, but generally no; you have to take one hand off the gun to run the bolt, you don't want to then have to fully break your position and take your OTHER hand off to clear a jam.

And 9.5 times out of 10 I see folks get a jam, waste 3-5 seconds trying to look at the jam to understand how to clear it manually, try to do so, and then give up and drop the mag. If you're trying to clear a jam in a hurry, and get it cleared in one attempt, drop the mag then reinsert and run the next round. You also need to eject the live round that jammed, since the bullet will almost always be significantly damaged. If you wanna try to fish the empty out with your free hand before dropping the mag, then I say go for it, but don't spend more than 2 seconds on it.

Anyway, sorry, that was a bit of a tangent. I'd rather have my support hand keeping the rifle in place and drop the mag with my bolt hand, since it's already disengaged from the process of maintaining a sight picture.

Reactions: jafo96 and DH302
    I've decided on what I'm going with. Mike was pretty adamant about me getting the Shilen barrel so I picked one up from Killough Shooting Sports and having shipped to VGW. Below is what I have decided on.

1. Action = Three 60 Action, Right Hand
    2. Bolt knob = Large
    3. Scope Base = 20 MOA

4. Barrel = Shilen R0 22"
    5. Crown = 11 degree
    6. Threaded = No

7. Finish = Black

I already have a B&A TacSport Pro trigger and MPA Hybrid chassis in Burnt Bronze. Still looking for a scope.

Great choice, I have owned several of the select match barrels and they hammer..

I've been really happy with 22" sendero or kukri barrels on my V22 repeaters, even went with a 23" sendero on the 360 action when I barreled it. The only Bartlein 22RF bbl I own is the kukri, which was purchased as a bbl'd action direct from VGW. It's a very accurate barrel, although the Kriegers on the other three repeaters are just as good. I went with a Shilen R5 that finished at just under 25" on my 1st V22S, and have a Shilen R0 at 25" on the 2nd V22S, which Doan Trevor stocked with a nice piece of English walnut. It'll be used in smallbore prone matches, so I'm not concerned about the extra weight compared to the R5 contour. Initially, I threaded the cut-rifled Kriegers because I own a couple of 22RF suppressors, but when I realized my groups open up a bit shooting suppressed as compared to unsuppressed, I decided not to thread the last Krieger I used, even though I don't worry much about threading cut-rifled bbls. Instead, I put a Pro-X tuner on that 23" Krieger, and the difference it makes in accuracy makes it well worth it.

I'm 70yrs old, and a lifetime of working on heavy farm machinery, building fence, loading heavy stuff, etc. has worn my shoulders to the point where I don't do any more heavy lifting than absolutely necessary, because I know I'm going to pay for it with aches & pain later. So whenever I read about guys wanting to add weight to an already heavy repeater with a MTU bbl, I cringe just a bit just thinking about maneuvering a heavy beast like that around barricades & etc. My sendero contour bbls are plenty heavy enough to suit me....

I've been really happy with 22" sendero or kukri barrels on my V22 repeaters, even went with a 23" sendero on the 360 action when I barreled it. The only Bartlein 22RF bbl I own is the kukri, which was purchased as a bbl'd action direct from VGW. It's a very accurate barrel, although the Kriegers on the other three repeaters are just as good. I went with a Shilen R5 that finished at just under 25" on my 1st V22S, and have a Shilen R0 at 25" on the 2nd V22S, which Doan Trevor stocked with a nice piece of English walnut. It'll be used in smallbore prone matches, so I'm not concerned about the extra weight compared to the R5 contour. Initially, I threaded the cut-rifled Kriegers because I own a couple of 22RF suppressors, but when I realized my groups open up a bit shooting suppressed as compared to unsuppressed, I decided not to thread the last Krieger I used, even though I don't worry much about threading cut-rifled bbls. Instead, I put a Pro-X tuner on that 23" Krieger, and the difference it makes in accuracy makes it well worth it.

I'm 70yrs old, and a lifetime of working on heavy farm machinery, building fence, loading heavy stuff, etc. has worn my shoulders to the point where I don't do any more heavy lifting than absolutely necessary, because I know I'm going to pay for it with aches & pain later. So whenever I read about guys wanting to add weight to an already heavy repeater with a MTU bbl, I cringe just a bit just thinking about maneuvering a heavy beast like that around barricades & etc. My sendero contour bbls are plenty heavy enough to suit me....

For tuning a barrel? How does the contour have effect on the tuning? I don't mind the weight much as I can do a MTU and just remove weight from my stock/chassis, but I do want to get the most stable tuning node and make it easy to tune. Right now I just have my rifle ordered as a Heavy Palma Krieger - so .9" at the muzzle. I could adjust that to .92" or .95" or 1" etc if there's any science behind tuning and thickness.

I noticed that the Pro-X tuner looks pretty much identical to https://www.killoughshootingsports.com/benchrest-rifle-tuners/667-jnl-prx-iii-tuner.html so just a Purdy method with some adapters to get the desired length.

Lastly I was deciding between a Krieger and the Shilen Select Ratchet R0, have you compared the Krieger and Shilen out at distance? >200y? I heard that cut rifling / higher grooves has more impact at longer distances. These 3 groove/4groove Benchmark and Shilens are great at the benchrest distances 50/100, but curious if the cut rifled Kriegers/Bartleins really take the lead at longer distances

I had a Shilen barrel in RO contour fitted to my Vudoo, at the recommendation of my smith, and it finished just over 23". When shooting inside of 100 yards hard to tell the difference from the Ace but you can clearly see it group much better past 200 yards with the Shilen barrel.

Bartlein, Proof, Kreiger are good barrel makers you cant go wrong with but after I sought out a 16 inch barrel from each I found they were all sold out, however I went with a heavy (no barrel fluting) Roscoe Manufacturing Bloodline Heavy barrel (5.56 NATO). I love the above mentioned barrel makers but for far less cost you can simply stick with a heavy barrel profile (thick) made of chrome moly vanidium (CMV). As long as you stay away from skinny light barrels and stick with thicker heat resistant metals youre good. BUT Stainless barrels or chrome lined barrels are the other way to go for good money.
    My concern is accuracy at barrel temps with a suppressor. I want good accuracy even after a full mag of slow fired shots.
    Roscoe Manufacturing makes the exact barrel I been looking for.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220518-191747_OpticsPlanet.jpg
      Screenshot_20220518-191747_OpticsPlanet.jpg
      115.7 KB · Views: 40
    Right now my V360 single shot has a 24" Shilen R0 on it. I Just ordered a Bartlien, Carbon Fiber M-24 contour to finish at 26"
    I shoot Small Bore F-class. Bartlien will take a year to get here!

I haven't shot my Shilens out past 100yds yet. My intended use fore the V22S actions are 50yd BR for the 1st one with its Flavio Fare .7oz - 2oz trigger, and smallbore prone/F-Class for the 2nd one, which I ordered with the 60* cocking piece so I can use Jewell, CG Extreme, etc triggers with it. I've got Pro-X tuners on the BR V22S's 25" Benchmark 3-groove, and the 23" Krieger sendero, while the first (Gen 1) V22 repeater's 21" Krieger (after I cut the threads off what was originally a 22" bbl) wears a Harrells tuner. To date, I've only shot the Benchmark on the V22S at 50yds, while the two repeaters have been shot quite a lot at 200, and just a few times (mostly in matches) at 300. The shortage of SK & Lapua ammo has discouraged me from doing as much testing as I'd like to compare tuner settings for the repeaters at 50/100/200/300, and even if I was truly flush with ammo, it's tough to find time on really calm days to get reliable/repeatable results out past 100yds.