• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Vudoo gen 1 vs gen 2

Mslvdc

Private
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2018
St. Louis
Sorry if this has been covered, but I couldn’t find any info on it.

What is the difference in the fire control group between the gen 1 and gen 2?

Recently purchased a gen 1 and trying to see if it’s worth the $100 or so to have my bolt upgraded to a gen 2.

Thanks in advance for any help!

-Matt

Recently purchased a gen 1 and trying to see if it’s worth the $100 or so to have my bolt upgraded to a gen 2.

-Matt

If you had asked this question on the Vudoo thread, or messaged @RAVAGE88 himself,
you would probably already have your answer.

-Matt

Gen 1: Cocking piece is pinned to firing pin, a la Remington DNA. Bolt shroud is threaded into bolt body via 1/2-20 threads. Bolt nose is captured via two pins, a la Remington 40X. I've spoken in the past that when I started this project, it was to re-introduce the 40X, but ultimately went a different route. The fire control was the only remaining Remington DNA from what was the original project.

Gen 1.2: Cocking piece is threaded to firing pin via 1/4-48 threads and secured with set screw through bottom of cocking piece. Shroud remains threaded into bolt body via 1/2-20 threads. Bolt nose remains captured via two pins.

Gen 2: Cocking piece is threaded to firing pin via 1/4-48 threads and secured with set screw through bottom of cocking piece. Shroud is captured in bolt body via a locking lug, providing rapid tool-less disassembly. Bolt nose is captured via two locking lugs providing rapid tool-less disassembly.

The Gen 2 fire control system is a product of R&D put into the V-22S and rolled backwards into the repeater platforms. In the V-22S, the cocking piece has a vertical sear face that requires the Vudoo/Flavio trigger. I've been asked if other triggers can be used in the V-22S and the answer is, yes, they can, but it will require the use of the Vudoo cocking piece with the 60 degree sear surface.

Very soon, we'll also have a Vudoo/Flavio trigger for the repeaters which will also use the vertical sear.

MB

Very soon, we'll also have a Vudoo/Flavio trigger for the repeaters which will also use the vertical sear.

MB
Will there be a retrofit for the earlier generations, or will this be a new action?

Possibly, but if so, it’ll be for 1.2 and above.

MB

Guess I am confused.

How does this vertical sear improve things?

Does it make for a better trigger or does it improve accuracy of the rifle in some other way?

Thank you.

Guess I am confused.

How does this vertical sear improve things?

Does it make for a better trigger or does it improve accuracy of the rifle in some other way?

Thank you.

With the earlier angled sear (Remington DNA), there are two directional forces acting on the bolt/fire control assembly. There’s a lift force caused by the two angled surfaces (cocking piece and sear) acting upon one another via spring pressure and the thrust force of the assembly (cocking piece and firing pin) moving forward. As the sear releases, the bolt assembly drops in the rear as the firing pin thrusts forward. The drop is completely unnecessary and regarded as an energy leak; this reaction is known to affect consistency. Eliminating the energy leak by using a vertical sear allows the pin assembly to move forward without having to drop, thereby increasing consistency.

What we’re about as it relates to accuracy/precision is consistency. A fire control system that can provide an increased level of consistency is very important to controlling the outcome. All this speaks to what I’ve mentioned lately about controlling variables and not just focusing on one or two things and calling it good.

As I stated in a post above, this system was developed for the BR/F-Class shooters (I’ve heard from the 3P shooters a lot lately as well) that plan to use the new three lug but I was able to roll it backwards into the new Gen 2 two lug repeater. The earlier Gen systems can be upgraded, but without other features in the the Gen 2 and Three Lug systems, you’re not likely to see the difference on the target.

MB

Last edited:
Here's a good video that explains the bolt disassembly as well as the differences between different gens.
He says the Gen2 is everything after serial number 3200. Mine is just a handful of number before that and it's a gen 1.2.
He says you can upgrade from Gen1 to Gen 1.2 for $100.
But I'm not sure if you can upgrade from gen 1 to gen 2.

Reactions: cwmoss and dwt
Took out my v22, serial number in the 2000s, never disappoints. Let a guy shoot it. 10 rounds @ 50 yards, group measured half inch. Not sure what more anyone can ask of a gun with untested ammo lot. Took it to 300 yards, after a few rounds and adjustments, i was hitting a 6" plate consistently in a 3 mph wind. Doubt the "gains" from upgrading the bolt would be worth the cost for most of us.

Shoot enough, and you will absolutely know if you can shoot better than the gun, and if the gun is holding you back.

I think it's a lot easier to tell with a gun that doesn't shoot very well than it is with one that does.