• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vudoo Gun Works V-22 Rimfire Bolt Action

I think like Rob said, people worry about bolt throw way too much. If you spend the time behind whatever you have you will get good at running it. I have seen a lot of guys who get used to 60 degree bolts or learn on 60 degree bolts try to manipulate a 90 degree bolt the same way with bad results. I watched a friend of mine who has been shooting a rifle with a 60 degree throw keep smacking his buckles on my scope over and over because he didn’t know how to properly run the bolt. You can’t grab the bolt like a door knob and run it. That just does work at least if you have optics on the rifle.

I usually don't shoot groups much anymore. Here's a 10 shot group I shot a few days ago. the pic is positioned sideways so the group in reality was horizontal. If it wasn't for that one....oh man. This is very representative of what my vudoo will do. It is not a fluke groupView attachment 7295348
What barrel profile do you have? That's some nice shooting! Very nice! Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: 10ring1
The only rifles I own with 60* bolt throw are several BAT 3L single shot prone & BR rifles, and three CZ457s. Since the BATs are single shots, the only time quick bolt manipulation is important is when shooting 5-shot strings during light gun 600-1000yd BR matches. You're trying your best to get those five shots all off in one condition at 1000 - and unless you're an absolute wizard at making wind changes, that's the only way you're going to be competitive. I've enjoyed playing, plinking, and upgrading my 457s, but have yet to shoot one in a PRS or NRL22 style match. I'm pretty sure my 457 MTR with its Shilen ratchet rifled bbl in a Manners VPT stock would be competitive in these matches, but since I have a couple of hvy bbl'd V22s in PRS1T stocks, what's the point? For all I know, the shorter bolt lift on the 457 would screw me up during a stage with tight time limits - I'd been shooting my 40X repeater for over a year in matches before getting the 1st V22 up & running. And it's still going to be much easier to perform a quick mag change with the V22 than with a 457.

I try to never say never, but I highly doubt it...
Any reasons or just your hypothesis? My hypothesis is they could but I do not know if they could without feeding and extraction issues? Given traditional lead bullets perhaps semi-auto loading is more likely to deform them in a non-consistent manner than a bolt action repeater? If that is the main reason for accuracy degradation in a semi-auto, a less malleable bullet metal could be a game changer? Could copper bullets level the playing field?

Any reasons or just your hypothesis? My hypothesis is they could but I do not know if they could without feeding and extraction issues? Given traditional lead bullets perhaps semi-auto loading is more likely to deform them in a non-consistent manner than a bolt action repeater? If that is the main reason for accuracy degradation in a semi-auto, a less malleable bullet metal could be a game changer? Could copper bullets level the playing field?

Rick, until someone makes a true STRIKER fired match grade semi auto, a semi can NEVER compete because of the slow lock time dictated by the hammer fall.
You have to hold a semi PERFECTLY still for 4 times longer AFTER the trigger is pulled than a true striker fired bolt gun....and it's impossible without a mechanical rest.
Even the Boogera and other bolt guns (Ruger 77/22, etc.) with a multi piece firing pin cannot compete, over the long haul, with a true striker fired bolt gun.

Sorry, it's simple physics.

Reactions: rick137
Rick, until someone makes a true STRIKER fired match grade semi auto, a semi can NEVER compete because of the slow lock time dictated by the hammer fall.
You have to hold a semi PERFECTLY still for 4 times longer AFTER the trigger is pulled than a true striker fired bolt gun....and it's impossible without a mechanical rest.
Even the Boogera and other bolt guns (Ruger 77/22, etc.) with a multi piece firing pin cannot compete, over the long haul, with a true striker fired bolt gun.

YEP...

But bolt throw is 0 degrees so it should shoot the bestest!!! LOL

I know your being sarcastic and I appreciate that, but bolt throw has nothing to do with the accuracy of a rifle but it can effect the level of precision a shooter can obtain. The more movement you can remove from a firing sequence the easier it is to be repeatable.

I got a shooter, good groups with 8 different types of ammo! Put 50 through it, cleaned it, fouled with 5 and shot 5 shot groups at 50yds. The federal target already had a hole in it...

Casey Vudootarget.jpg

Aside from the annoying blustery and gusty conditions today, not a bad day at the range. No range trip is complete without sending a few through the rifle that started it all, the OG RAVAGE, my trusty 40X Repeater.

A84-C6758-AE56-413-B-BF20-D902-D854-E15-A.jpg

This rifle is the real reason I tolerated the conditions, the V-22M in 22WMR.

0-A9-D35-AF-8-C6-F-4-A86-8836-66-FB205543-FD.jpg

I believe it would be hard to find someone that hasn't heard the statement, "the 22 Magnum is inherently inaccurate." I'm not saying this isn't true, but I'm not good with hearing things like this without understanding why and then doing something about it. As has been discussed here a little, I've been doing quite a bit of work with barrels and part of it has been to improve the 22 Magnum using currently available ammo. Although I wasn't completely successful at shooting five shots within the short lulls today, I'd say things are working pretty well. These groups are at 50 and they get better at 100.

64-DF85-E3-25-FE-4-F9-D-903-F-0-A39-B7-FE0-C1-A.jpg

8212733-F-0305-4-BE0-A04-A-370-D14-F142-B7.jpg

The fast twist 22LRs are also creating some very interesting results, so much so, that I'm receiving calls from barrel makers wanting to know the specs so they can make barrels. More info to follow on these advancements soon....

MB

I came from shooting a Tikka T1X for over 5000 rounds. Getting used to the < 60 degree throw. I also own a Tikka T3X for a center fire rifle as well.

I was cycling the bolt incorrectly. No one ever taught me differently, so gripping it and lifting and pulling was easy and quick. 60 degree throws definitely make it easier. I hee'd and haw'ed waiting around for a 60 degree Vudoo, and eventually just gave in and bought a Vudoo recently.

First time on it, using my incorrect bolt cycling method I did hit my thumb once on the throw lever of my rifle - I mean there isn't any clearance really.

1586643099120.png

After following -

I've dry fired in drills around the house probably over 2000 times, and I haven't hit my finger at all on the scope and I haven't even worried about 90 degree vs 60 degree.

I started doing drills on how much movement my reticle moves when cycling the bolt. And I do notice that with my LoP and what's comfortable for me, I would prefer a slightly swept back handle. I'm about 1/2cm of reach from having a very smooth cycle movement w/o having to shift my elbow or arch my shoulder forward.

On my Tikka with a swept bolt, this means I can cycle my bolt shoot, cycle shoot, and my my reticle moves maybe .4-.5mils at most.

On the Vudoo, when I cycle it, to close the bolt, my reach needs to extend about 1/2 a cm, and I'll notice a 1.5-2mil shift to the left due to my shoulder arching forward for reach.

Though on the Tikka, with the 60 degree throw, there's more effort to lift the bolt, but with the thumb leverage it's okay, but I'd rather take a lighter/smoother 90 degree lift, than a heavier 60 degree lift I think. When shopping for my new center fire rifle, I've been looking at Impact 737R, Bighorn TL3, and Defiance Ruckus, and I believe they all have 90 degree throws and I haven't thought about trying to find something less and worrying.

So the only thing I want right now is something slightly swept back on the Vudoo... basically I'd like the RimX bolt.

@RAVAGE88 is there anyway to have something slightly swept for the Vudoo? I think the Benchrest model is slightly swept, but anyway to get it in my current one? (Just received mine 3 weeks ago).

Reactions: MPrimo
@RAVAGE88 is there anyway to have something slightly swept for the Vudoo? I think the Benchrest model is slightly swept, but anyway to get it in my current one? (Just received mine 3 weeks ago).

Slightly more than the amount of sweep than the current handle? If that's the question, I have something in mind but it's not going to be available until more toward the end of this year, early next.

MB

Reactions: Krob95
Nice job. I have never owned a 22 mag and the lack of accuracy is the reason.

Also, intellectual knowledge cost money. Tell that to the barrel makers.

Thanks KOD, I'm a 22WMR fan. I have big plans for this one in WY later this year.

I don't think I'll be sharing this info outside our own barrel company, but we'll see.

MB

Slightly more than the amount of sweep than the current handle? If that's the question, I have something in mind but it's not going to be available until more toward the end of this year, early next.

MB

Oh wow I never noticed that the bolt was already slightly swept. But yeh just a teensy bit more swept. Or maybe it's me and I just need to adjust my body a bit differently to run things smoother. But I was thinking something like the Origin/RimX amount of sweptness.

Oh since you're here, I had an order on the 12rounder, I didn't even pay attention on the 15 rounder. It seems I should probably change it to 15, as I don't see what the downside would be. Run 10 for NRL22 stages, and 15 for 12+ round count PRS stages. I am guessing the additional height isn't going to matter. I'll call in and have them change it to a 15rounder on Monday.

Oh wow I never noticed that the bolt was already slightly swept. But yeh just a teensy bit more swept. Or maybe it's me and I just need to adjust my body a bit differently to run things smoother. But I was thinking something like the Origin/RimX amount of sweptness.

Oh since you're here, I had an order on the 12rounder, I didn't even pay attention on the 15 rounder. It seems I should probably change it to 15, as I don't see what the downside would be. Run 10 for NRL22 stages, and 15 for 12+ round count PRS stages. I am guessing the additional height isn't going to matter. I'll call in and have them change it to a 15rounder on Monday.

The amount of sweep is the same....among the many things that are the same for the reasons they're the same ;).

No worries, talk to Greg or Jill, they'll get you squared away.

MB

I'm liking that 22WMR! I can't wait to see the updates as you move forward, I like the cartridge, just not the accuracy.

@RAVAGE88 Side note, any chance you make a taller scope rail? I put my V-22 in an AICS and even with a 1.5" Spuhr, the objective of the S&B hits the top of the keymod rail section.

The amount of sweep is the same....among the many things that are the same for the reasons they're the same ;).

No worries, talk to Greg or Jill, they'll get you squared away.

MB

Good to know :) Thanks, I'll keep practicing with what it is. I have to say - having the Vudoo has been a godsend during this quarantine. My living room is a mess with all the barricades and bags, but man dry firing has been a joy.

I'm liking that 2WMR! I can't wait to see the updates as you move forward, I like the cartridge, just not the accuracy.

@RAVAGE88 Side note, any chance you make a taller scope rail? I put my V-22 in an AICS and even with a 1.5" Spuhr, the objective of the S&B hits the top of the keymod rail section.

I've kilt more critters with a 22WMR than anything else, it's quite devastating on coyotes and such.

Do you mean the AX Chassis? We don't make a taller rail....

MB

I've kilt more critters with a 22WMR than anything else, it's quite devastating on coyotes and such.

Do you mean the AX Chassis? We don't make a taller rail....

MB

Yes, the AX. Thanks, I was hoping to get out cheap - taller rail (cheap) versus a taller Spuhr (not so cheap). ;)

H:

Thanks for the intel. Always good to have reasons. But it is not simply physics but the interaction of physics and physiology. If I understood your comments correctly, with a perfectly stable support, say something like the perfect mechanical support, a semi-auto could have the same accuracy as a bolt gun. However, for positional shooting, and standing in particular, the assertion that the longer the lock time the worse the accuracy is certainly reasonable. Milliseconds count.

Rick

Reactions: Hellbender
I had enough after my 3rd week of lock down and had to get out today. Governor Blackface graciously allows us to "exercise" so I went and exercised my 2A rights while we still have them here in the Commonwealth.

I have to say this Vudoo V-22 is incredible! Even though I've seen the proof throughout the thread, I wasn't prepared for the excellence of this rifle, it's simply superb! I went to the local Izaak Walton range as Quantico is still closed. It's a 100y facility but at least it was open. First shot was at 9am and it was about 55 degrees, overcast, 1mph wind, a DA of -221ft and the air was really heavy as humidity was 75%. Groups were shot prone with a rear bag.

I shot three groups at 25y to sight the optic and each was a single hole! I slapped on the Spectre II and was equally impressed. My flaws started to show at 50yards and when I went back to 100 the wind had picked up and I learned just how much a 3-5mph breeze can do to a subsonic round. It was a great few hours and I can't wait to get back out and do some ammo testing.

V-22 in an AICS chassis with a S&B.

IMG_3864-1364101.jpg

IMG_3902-1364105.jpg

IMG_3890-1364104.jpg

With it's big brother in .260, just because.

IMG_3879-1364103.jpg

First rounds down the tube. The first 5-shot string was Federal Match with a POA at the center orange dot. The hits were to the right above the right sighting box. I adjusted left and shot the 5-Shot group just above the center orange dot. The third 5-shot string was Center-X with the same optic settings, but at the left sighting box. The last string was also Center-X, but with the Spectre II suppressor at the center left black dot.

IMG_3873-1364102.jpg

This next picture takes some explanation. You can see the four original 25y groups, and then groups from 50y, all with Center-X. The 5-shots above the center orange dot group were the first 50y shots. The second group was just below the center orange dot with a POI that was an orange dot in the bottom middle (that I later shot off the target). Number 3 was to the left, with the bottom black dot as the POA. Fourth was the center middle where the dot was shot off and the last 50y was the right bottom black dot.

IMG_3922-1364107.jpg

By the time I made it to 100y, the wind was picking up and I was getting lazy in my technique. The first string at 100y was the top orange dot. I shot a sighter, that you can see high, then adjusted the optic down while leaving windage untouched. POA was the center of the dot. Same with the second group, a sighter to the right of the sighting box to test the elevation adjustment, and then a 5 more at center POA.

IMG_3918-1364211.jpg

...the air was really heavy as humidity was 75%.

Just an FYI, humidity DECREASES the density of the air. It might feel thicker to you, but humid air reduces air density, or increases density altitude, so the bullet feels like it’s at a higher altitude and encounters less resistance in flight. ;)

Reactions: Defender3
Just an FYI, humidity DECREASES the density of the air. It might feel thicker to you, but humid air reduces air density, or increases density altitude, so the bullet feels like it’s at a higher altitude and encounters less resistance in flight. ;)

Interesting, I'll have to learn more about DA - thanks.

Reactions: Basher
Just FYI, I don't know if you've followed this thread but Vudoos are chambered by Mike's proprietary ravage chamber meant to perfectly meet the specs for Lapua/SK ammo, specifically Center-X. This is why you basically are guaranteed that any Lapua/SK ammo will shoot fantastically out of the Vudoo. This is what the shooters asked for, to not have to go mess around with 20 different ammo brands that you generally have to do when buying another factory branded 22LR...

So when you buy a Vudoo, you pay the premium that it's tuned and specifically chambered for a certain ammo to save you time on trying to match ammo. I wouldn't bother tinkering with geco, rws, cci, fgmm etc... just buy some SK Standard Plus for $5.50 for good practice ammo, or up it to Rifle Match for $7.50, or Lapua Center-X for $11.

I wanted to add to this. I have recently sold some rifles and started shooting my Vudoo more. What I notice is that ammo that does not shoot in my other rifles shoot in my Vudoo. I have 2 lots of sk std plus and one lot of SK tifle match that suck in my other 3 or 4 rifles. I got the vudoo out before throwing the ammo in the trash and said let's give it a whirl. What I noticed was that anythjng that says sk shoots in that gun. The junk sk I thought I had shot unreal in my vudoo. I tried some norma, wolf, geco, rws as well. The wolf tgt lot numer one shot super well. Lot 2 did not. Wolf match extra only had one lot shot well. Anything that is made by eley on my rifle takes a little more force to close. As for cci std, bolt got 3/4 of the way and I wasn't willing to force it. I am not tearing up a 3500 gun for junk ammo. Remember one thing folks, you bought a Ferrari, don't put unleaded in it.

Reactions: RAVAGE88
The Vudoo V-22's build quality and accuracy potential with good lots of ammo totally justifies high quality optics. It's definitely a major paradigm shift from my first scope on my 10/22 in 1974.

When shooting 100/200 yd bench matches the 5-50 doubles as a spotting scope. Though last night pretty much convinced me I've been using too much magnification.
I had a t36 on my vudoo and loved it. It did not help my groups. The rifle is super forgiving. But when putting that same scope on a less forgiving rifle infound I spent waaaaay too much time in the gun. I shoot my vest groups on 14 to 16 power

I love surprises. I have a Bix TacSport PRO here waiting on something to put it in. I have thought about, studied for a few months on what high end rifle will be added next. I believe the top three, Vudoo, RimX and the Deuce will all be accurate, but the deciding factor for me is the service Vudoo gives their customers. You can't argue with success and MB and the Vudoo team have it. There's not to many people in the world I'd go out of my way to shake hands with but President Trump and Mike Bush are my top two.

Absolutely spot on here. Those two I would go out of my way to shake hands with. I have heard about this offering and that offering. And that's fine. But for my 3 to 4 grande there is only 1 company getting money. VUDOO. They started it, they profected it, they have backed it. Best customer service I have dealt with in any industry.

Haven’t shot in about a month now (all ranges near me are closed). Couldn’t take it anymore so I took a 10” steel and a iron plant hanger out to the marsh where I duck hunt. Armed with a range finder, handheld gps and the vudoo I tried my first time at 300 yards one marsh edge to another. Side wind steady about 15. Took me 10 shots or so to get my dope on target then got 14 hits out of 20 not bad for unstable rest out of a boat I think anyway.
038A7048-A346-439A-809D-5339781A88D6.jpeg
038A7048-A346-439A-809D-5339781A88D6.jpeg

Anyone running a viper pst gen 2 with arc m10 rings on their vudoo?

Trying to decide if lows will clear or if medium m10 arc rings are needed...ive read were bolt throw can interfere with this scope.

@RAVAGE88 MB, any update on when the V22S is going to be released? Any update on whether you will offer it as just a receiver, barreled receiver, or full blown br rifle? If barrels are included, what lengths will you be offering? Curious minds are doing a lot of speculation on various forums.

Last edited:
Ravage88/MB, any update on when the V22S is going to be released? Any update on whether you will offer it as just a receiver, barreled receiver, or full blown br rifle? If barrels are included, what lengths will you be offering? Curious minds are doing a lot of speculation on various forums.

Yessir, just a few touches remaining. Finalizing the finish this week on the receiver, bolt body, bolt nose and other small parts and inspecting/validating barrels. We plan to offer barreled actions and I’m working with a BR stock maker for full package builds. There’s one Smith that I’m working with to sell stand alone actions and might open them up to others. I’ve landed on the chamber and now that things have settled in Italy and the ITAR license came through, the first 40 Vudoo/Flavio triggers are inbound. I’m thinking mid May right now as long as things continue to clear up.

I’ll keep everyone posted best I can,
MB

Anyone running a viper pst gen 2 with arc m10 rings on their vudoo?

Trying to decide if lows will clear or if medium m10 arc rings are needed...ive read were bolt throw can interfere with this scope.

Low/medium are generic terms and different from maker to maker but if you find a ring in the .9-1" mark it will work. Looked and the low for ARC is .94" height and that will work with a PST.

Yessir, just a few touches remaining. Finalizing the finish this week on the receiver, bolt body, bolt nose and other small parts and inspecting/validating barrels. We plan to offer barreled actions and I’m working with a BR stock maker for full package builds. There’s one Smith that I’m working with to sell stand alone actions and might open them up to others. I’ve landed on the chamber and now that things have settled in Italy and the ITAR license came through, the first 40 Vudoo/Flavio triggers are inbound. I’m thinking mid May right now as long as things continue to clear up.

MB

Are you chambering significantly different from your Ravage repeater chamber? I'm just curious how the chambering differences and why between a single shot and a repeater.

Are you chambering significantly different from your Ravage repeater chamber? I'm just curious how the chambering differences and why between a single shot and a repeater.

Yessir, different chamber for the V22S based on the application. If I put the BR chamber in the current repeater you’ll never extract a loaded round, which isn’t good for the match circuit.

MB

MB
Mike, can you explain a bit further how your supply chain will work for the new rifle? We will buy barreled actions from VGW, but how do we get a stock installed? Would we also need to buy the stock from the supplier you are working with, or would VGW send the barreled action to the stock maker, and that company would send the finished rifle to us? Please explain just a bit to clarify how we get a complete rifle?

Best regards and stay healthy!

MB

Just as I bought my second Vudoo now this. Damn it I cant get ahead. Ha ha

MB

Thanks Mike for the update, sounds like it's moving along! The new trigger sounds interesting as well.

Reactions: RAVAGE88
Mike, can you explain a bit further how your supply chain will work for the new rifle? We will buy barreled actions from VGW, but how do we get a stock installed? Would we also need to buy the stock from the supplier you are working with, or would VGW send the barreled action to the stock maker, and that company would send the finished rifle to us? Please explain just a bit to clarify how we get a complete rifle?

Best regards and stay healthy!

It won’t be much different than it is for our repeaters. Those wanting complete rifles will order them based on a selection of stocks and those desiring to have their smith stock their rifle can order a barreled action. Initially, the action assembly (includes Vudoo/Flavio trigger) will be available through one smith; I might open this up later but my approach is to make this more about the guys wanting to shoot and get their rifles to them quicker....

MB

Mike, does the new V22S action have the same footprint as the repeaters? If so, I'm thinking about using an obeche wood laminated Shehane Tracker stock with my V22S. I've currently got a trued M700SA in 6 Dasher in it, but if the footprint is the same, I could easily put the V22A in it - at least for the length of time it would take to figure out whether the Tracker - which was designed for 1000yd BR - would work well for 22RF BR shooting. The stock was ordered in the 'Indian paint' color scheme, which may not appeal to everyone, but I've always thought it was attractive...photo attached for your appraisal.

Attachments

• DSC_0634.JPG
    DSC_0634.JPG
    567.5 KB · Views: 109
Mike, does the new V22S action have the same footprint as the repeaters? If so, I'm thinking about using an obeche wood laminated Shehane Tracker stock with my V22S. I've currently got a trued M700SA in 6 Dasher in it, but if the footprint is the same, I could easily put the V22A in it - at least for the length of time it would take to figure out whether the Tracker - which was designed for 1000yd BR - would work well for 22RF BR shooting. The stock was ordered in the 'Indian paint' color scheme, which may not appeal to everyone, but I've always thought it was attractive...photo attached for your appraisal.

Yessir, same footprint. Unlike other BR actions, I retained the recoil lug as well.

MB