• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vudoo Gun Works V-22 Rimfire Bolt Action

I followed similar to this after your IG post. I was still at random having some group issues and a slight tracking issue to the Right at distance. I loosened the scope cap screw and inverted the Fix-it-Stick scope jack and sure enough it was a touch out. I had only leveled the scope with a bubble level on it. It started raining before I got a chance to check it, but I think that will have it settled down.
Yessir, proper rifle setup is hugely important to consistency and the smallest of things can throw things outta whack. It's rarely one big thing that leads to nagging problems, but a one or more little things.

MB

Mike,
I've still got the 40XB that Jonathan did your repeater conversion on. I had him convert two of my CMP 40Xs, and really enjoyed shooting both rifles after I'd barreled them (40X w/3-groove Benchmark, 40XB w/Lilja titebore), but sold the 40X to help fund the purchase & build of the 1st V-22 action I bought from VGW. And now, four years later, here we are with three V-22 repeaters, a V-22S, and a Three-60 action on order, and I'm still hanging on to the 40XB, though it's now wearing a 22" Krieger in sendero contour. And it's still a hammer, able to keep up with the other repeaters accuracy-wise, though I don't feel it runs quite as smoothly as they all do. I've had a couple of requests to sell the 40XB, but have instead offered to order in V-22 bbl'd actions and stock them for the customers, which have left the customers very satisfied, and let me hang onto the 40XB for sentimental reasons. I have a feeling this rifle will still be here in the safe after I'm gone....

Reactions: J-Ham and RAVAGE88
Mike,
I've still got the 40XB that Jonathan did your repeater conversion on. I had him convert two of my CMP 40Xs, and really enjoyed shooting both rifles after I'd barreled them (40X w/3-groove Benchmark, 40XB w/Lilja titebore), but sold the 40X to help fund the purchase & build of the 1st V-22 action I bought from VGW. And now, four years later, here we are with three V-22 repeaters, a V-22S, and a Three-60 action on order, and I'm still hanging on to the 40XB, though it's now wearing a 22" Krieger in sendero contour. And it's still a hammer, able to keep up with the other repeaters accuracy-wise, though I don't feel it runs quite as smoothly as they all do. I've had a couple of requests to sell the 40XB, but have instead offered to order in V-22 bbl'd actions and stock them for the customers, which have left the customers very satisfied, and let me hang onto the 40XB for sentimental reasons. I have a feeling this rifle will still be here in the safe after I'm gone....
Dennis,
I remember our exchanges as you were working with Jonathan shortly after he and I spent time on the phone discussing the conversion. It all seems like yesterday and I commend you for tackling the conversion on your own and doing such a stellar job. I've built and owned A LOT of rifles; centerfire and rimfire, and they've come and gone. But, there's not one rifle I own that is more representative of where rimfire is today than my first 40X Repeater Conversion. To this day, it's a real joy to shoot....

MB

Dennis,
I remember our exchanges as you were working with Jonathan shortly after he and I spent time on the phone discussing the conversion. It all seems like yesterday and I commend you for tackling the conversion on your own and doing such a stellar job. I've built and owned A LOT of rifles; centerfire and rimfire, and they've come and gone. But, there's not one rifle I own that is more representative of where rimfire is today than my first 40X Repeater Conversion. To this day, it's a real joy to shoot....

MB
Mike,
Just so you know - the whole experience of working on and shooting these repeaters has not only provided me with a great deal of fun, satisfaction, and education, but has also allowed me to interact with you, Jonathan, Paul & Jill and the whole crew at VGW. And I honestly don't recall ever having had a better experience when it comes to dealing with a great group of people. Speaks highly of your judgment of character & integrity that from the beginning with Jonathan and proceeding through my dealings with all the folks at VGW, I have nothing but the highest regard for everyone connected with your endeavor to bring the V-22 product line to market. Best wishes for continued success - and as Jesse Bell has said several times here - it's a great time to be a 22RF shooter!

I also shot my personal Three60 (serial number 1) to make sure it's all squared away....it's going to MT as well.

DE3-D2-D25-FE98-4985-9734-B532-A0-C5-C06-C.jpg

The top left corner is 10 shots out of my Three60; right corner is five shots from the customer V-22 that was pressure sensitive.

E602-F87-D-A361-4-B5-B-AE64-73-CCC3853-C63.jpg

MB

Great groups. What rear bag do you have and what do you use for fill ? Thanks.

Reactions: RAVAGE88
Shot my first match with this setup two weekends ago and thought I'd pass on some lessons learned. First, I should have run a couple hundred rounds through the rifle first because I had three big fat zero's on three of the first four stages due to magazine, chambering and ejection issues. Second, I should have used the RIGHT ammo... I had a bunch of ELEY Tenex and ELEY Match from my Tikka T1x (that rifle loved those two), but quickly learned that while ELEY worked for slow, deliberate zeroing, when I got into a match situation, the flat nose of the ELEY jammed on the magazine when loading and the ELEY Match would not eject. Perhaps the rim of the Match is a bit smaller than that of the Tenex. A very nice and helpful Keith Rudasill saw my challenge and helped me "machine" the magazine so there was a ramp of sorts, which helped some. But in the end, I bought a box of Lapua Center-X from a fellow shooter and had NO issues with chambering or ejection the rest of the match, cleaning two stages.

Then I learned another VALUABLE lesson in how to load the Vudoo magazines. I was again, used to the little Tikka T1x mags that I never had any issues with. But, another very helpful shooter, James Smith, enlightened me that I was loading the mags wrong, and the rim of the round above the round below in the mag was actually situating itself BEHIND the rim of the round below. So, when I was trying to chamber the next round, IT was bringing the round below it along for the ride and binding up the whole works! I never read anything about this anywhere, but maybe I missed something. The rest of the match I carefully loaded each magazine and had not further issues. After the match, I reloaded properly with ELEY Tenex just for fun and had no issues. At the range the other day however, the ELEY Match ammo still had ejection issues, so that ammo is now set aside for the Tikka only. I found 1,000 Lapua X-Act and bought it, so that'll be what I feed this thing going forward.

So long story short...I love this rifle but figure It'll take a few hundred more rounds to really figure out exactly how I need to run it and what it likes to eat. It's now balanced properly, I love the MDT ACC chassis and of course, that ZC sitting on top is the icing on the cake. You guys really do make a quality product and I appreciate how you support your customers.

Attachments

• 20210512_150534.jpg
    20210512_150534.jpg
    386.2 KB · Views: 126
  • 20210512_150713.jpg
    20210512_150713.jpg
    340.8 KB · Views: 121
Shot my first match with this setup two weekends ago and thought I'd pass on some lessons learned. First, I should have run a couple hundred rounds through the rifle first because I had three big fat zero's on three of the first four stages due to magazine, chambering and ejection issues. Second, I should have used the RIGHT ammo... I had a bunch of ELEY Tenex and ELEY Match from my Tikka T1x (that rifle loved those two), but quickly learned that while ELEY worked for slow, deliberate zeroing, when I got into a match situation, the flat nose of the ELEY jammed on the magazine when loading and the ELEY Match would not eject. Perhaps the rim of the Match is a bit smaller than that of the Tenex. A very nice and helpful Keith Rudasill saw my challenge and helped me "machine" the magazine so there was a ramp of sorts, which helped some. But in the end, I bought a box of Lapua Center-X from a fellow shooter and had NO issues with chambering or ejection the rest of the match, cleaning two stages.

Then I learned another VALUABLE lesson in how to load the Vudoo magazines. I was again, used to the little Tikka T1x mags that I never had any issues with. But, another very helpful shooter, James Smith, enlightened me that I was loading the mags wrong, and the rim of the round above the round below in the mag was actually situating itself BEHIND the rim of the round below. So, when I was trying to chamber the next round, IT was bringing the round below it along for the ride and binding up the whole works! I never read anything about this anywhere, but maybe I missed something. The rest of the match I carefully loaded each magazine and had not further issues. After the match, I reloaded properly with ELEY Tenex just for fun and had no issues. At the range the other day however, the ELEY Match ammo still had ejection issues, so that ammo is now set aside for the Tikka only. I found 1,000 Lapua X-Act and bought it, so that'll be what I feed this thing going forward.

So long story short...I love this rifle but figure It'll take a few hundred more rounds to really figure out exactly how I need to run it and what it likes to eat. It's now balanced properly, I love the MDT ACC chassis and of course, that ZC sitting on top is the icing on the cake. You guys really do make a quality product and I appreciate how you support your customers.

Never a mistake, always a lesson....

I too, took my V22 that I picked up Saturday to a match on Sunday. Feeding issues? Yes. But after further investigation and trail/error it was mostly on me - since I've switched from RH to LH bolt action and didn't have any practice running the bolt/rifle and for the last 2 years I've been shooting RH V22.

Did it cost me points and frustration? You bet.
Still came back with a 2nd place.

I should've known better than to shoot a match with a brand new rifle but I wanted to shoot it so bad...

I've spent the last 3 days practicing running the LH bolt and I've had zero feeding issues since.

In regards to the magazine loading, yes I learned to triple check that rounds are in there properly, lately I've been exclusively using 15 round aluminum magazines.

And lastly, yes - VGW is always out there, whether on SH or Instagram someone will always be able to help you out and answer any questions you might have (along with fellow shooters).

Great looking rifle BTW!

Luke

Great post! My first vudoo, a three 60 barreled action is at my FFL waiting, so experiences shared like yours will help a lot.
Mine get installed into a Vision chassis.
Have never seen anything about the mag loading either, but since you mention it I'm almost sure everybody else knew about it lol.
Will find out if it shoots as good as my RimX.

Great post! My first vudoo, a three 60 barreled action is at my FFL waiting, so experiences shared like yours will help a lot.
Mine get installed into a Vision chassis.
Have never seen anything about the mag loading either, but since you mention it I'm almost sure everybody else knew about it lol.
Will find out if it shoots as good as my RimX.
I just make sure the rounds look like this and the first round is pointing up. My last order came with a 3D printed red loading tool.

I'm sure fellow shooters can chime in on loading tips as well.

Attachments

• 20201219_190109.jpg
    20201219_190109.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 139
There’s a video on how to load mags on vudoos website that is very informative. I believe it’s Paul that made it. It’s been posted a few times in this thread as well.

My 3 60 is in TN currently and en route to Colorado 🎉

There’s a video on how to load mags on vudoos website that is very informative. I believe it’s Paul that made it. It’s been posted a few times in this thread as well.

My 3 60 is in TN currently and en route to Colorado 🎉
Thanks Krob95! As I said, I didn't go through all those great vids but wish I had! These Vudoo guys are the real deal.

Quick update on my Vudoo feeding issues. I bought some Vudoo 12 and 15 round aluminum magazines, and also a speed loader from JKL Precision. This is a must-have product and at only $6, I highly recommend getting one (https://jklprecision.com/product/vudoo-speed-loader/). There is another speeed loader branded with a V for Vudoo that is yellow but I found it doesn't work as well. I also cleaned my barrel to ensure there weren't any carbon ring issues causing feeding problems. Added bonus: The 12-round and 15-round aluminum mags actually hold 13 and 16 rounds respectively with no issues! The aluminum mags also allow feeding of X-Act ammo, which the plastic ones would not allow me to do.

Bottom line: What I discovered is that using the speed loader to load the mags helped align each bullet precisely so that each rim was located in front of the rim below it, allowing each bullet to angle upwards instead of horizontally. I think by (originally) pushing the side tabs down to load the magazines manually it allowed room for error and was causing some misaligned bullets. Today I took it to the range and shot a couple hundred rounds with only two jams. Both times I ejected the mag after it jammed and noticed the bullet BELOW the jammed bullet was horizontal, instead of pointing upwards. So the bullet that jammed didn't have a ramp to go up as it entered the chamber, causing it to hit the bottom of the chamber, shave off a piece of lead, and push up at a weird angle, and then jam into the top of the chamber.

The rifle is shooting very accurately now, and I'm very pleased. I also installed an internal weight kit in the front to balance out the rifle a bit, and while it's much heavier, it's easier to hold it still on barriers. Very pleased with my Vudoo!

Thanks RAVAGE88 for all your help along the way and for being patient with someone completely new to the sport. Vudoo customer service really is top-notch!

Quick update on my Vudoo feeding issues. I bought some Vudoo 12 and 15 round aluminum magazines, and also a speed loader from JKL Precision. This is a must-have product and at only $6, I highly recommend getting one (https://jklprecision.com/product/vudoo-speed-loader/). There is another speeed loader branded with a V for Vudoo that is yellow but I found it doesn't work as well. I also cleaned my barrel to ensure there weren't any carbon ring issues causing feeding problems. Added bonus: The 12-round and 15-round aluminum mags actually hold 13 and 16 rounds respectively with no issues! The aluminum mags also allow feeding of X-Act ammo, which the plastic ones would not allow me to do.

Bottom line: What I discovered is that using the speed loader to load the mags helped align each bullet precisely so that each rim was located in front of the rim below it, allowing each bullet to angle upwards instead of horizontally. I think by (originally) pushing the side tabs down to load the magazines manually it allowed room for error and was causing some misaligned bullets. Today I took it to the range and shot a couple hundred rounds with only two jams. Both times I ejected the mag after it jammed and noticed the bullet BELOW the jammed bullet was horizontal, instead of pointing upwards. So the bullet that jammed didn't have a ramp to go up as it entered the chamber, causing it to hit the bottom of the chamber, shave off a piece of lead, and push up at a weird angle, and then jam into the top of the chamber.

The rifle is shooting very accurately now, and I'm very pleased. I also installed an internal weight kit in the front to balance out the rifle a bit, and while it's much heavier, it's easier to hold it still on barriers. Very pleased with my Vudoo!

Thanks RAVAGE88 for all your help along the way and for being patient with someone completely new to the sport. Vudoo customer service really is top-notch!
Anytime Dude, just let me know if you need anything.

MB

RAVAGE88,​

My apologies if it's been asked, Will Vudoo be offering the 3lug action in the Magnum calibers? If not...why?

Thank You.
Hey Duc,
No worries, it's been asked elsewhere but I don't think it's been asked here. For the foreseeable future, the three lug action will be specific to 22LR only. The "why" part is a pretty long answer and reserved for internal Vudoo discussions for the time being, but we move forward quickly.

MB

Reactions: Duc
Dang I'm definitely jealous of these Altus orders coming in on time, that means I could've used a three 60 at nationals! My order from Vudoo won't be until mid July :(
Yes, first class service from Altus. I didn't even plan on purchasing one but when I noticed that they had a 22" MTU in stock
I'd to get it. Since my RimX barrel is shipped out to the gun smith for chamber issues there was a need for a "spare" anyway
because I made the mistake to sell my B14r to a colleague at work.
Ordered mine on Monday, installed it in the chassis last night. And so far it seems to feed perfect.
I'm VERY impressed with the quality and function of the barreled action ! Plan on shooting it this Saturday.
Thank you very much Mike & Vudoo !!

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
Didn’t sign up since I didn’t know when My new vudoo would show up lol

Got the Altus LH in-stock notice email too! Waiting on my 360, so didn't make any rash decisions 😆

Reactions: Krob95
Yes, thanks. Manners PRS1T with mini chassis.
Just dropped the barreled action in and tightened down.

I realize that all of you may not have Instagram (vudoo_labs), where I've been putting out various pieces of information relating to current "goings-on." I just started a series about Proper Rifle Setup, which, based on the limited post space and vast amount of info, will require numerous posts to effectively cover the topic. I'm going to paste the text here, but not the photos. This is the first post of a multi-post series:

I mentioned to a few of you that I’ll be posting about Proper Rifle Setup based on the “sensitive” rifle I talked about in another post. As I’ve thought about my approach to such a vast topic, I know I’ll not have enough room in a single post to discuss this, so I’ll be doing a series about how to diagnose nagging issues. But, given the subject, some of you may be a little surprised where I start so, ultimately, we can get to the end.

So where does one start when you’re shooting a rifle that appears inconsistent? Do you start at the rifle? Ammo? No, you don’t. Before I go any further, I’ll say that I’m going to approach this part of the topic with the utmost humility, not from high atop Mount I-Know-Everything, because I don’t. But, over a long career, I’ve been fortunate to tap into instructional resources and have developed a capable technique with a rifle in my hands. For the best info related to sound technique, I turn to guys like @shlowlight, @dthomas3523 or @bynum.jacob at @rifles_only. These guys are welcome to comment here and open themselves to questions, etc., if they choose. Simply stated, without solid shooting mechanics, it’s hard to start at the rifle when it comes to diagnosing what one sees on the target.

So, and I’m stating this from a position of humility, before you start diving into diagnosing whether a rifle is shooting to its potential, ask yourself an honest question….”Do I have the shooting skills necessary to draw a sound conclusion around how this rifle is shooting?” If not, that’s fine, no one loses their man card over this. But, answering this question honestly will help one faster and more appropriately than not answering it honestly. Shooting is a perishable skill that requires proper technique, an understanding of the environment you’re shooting in and a regular dose of skill building time at the range or in the field. And be prepared, if/when you reach out to me to discuss what could be a “sensitive” rifle, I’m going to start by diving into “you” before talking about your rifle. @vudoogunworks

MB

I realize that all of you may not have Instagram (vudoo_labs), where I've been putting out various pieces of information relating to current "goings-on." I just started a series about Proper Rifle Setup, which, based on the limited post space and vast amount of info, will require numerous posts to effectively cover the topic. I'm going to paste the text here, but not the photos. This is the first post of a multi-post series:

I mentioned to a few of you that I’ll be posting about Proper Rifle Setup based on the “sensitive” rifle I talked about in another post. As I’ve thought about my approach to such a vast topic, I know I’ll not have enough room in a single post to discuss this, so I’ll be doing a series about how to diagnose nagging issues. But, given the subject, some of you may be a little surprised where I start so, ultimately, we can get to the end.

So where does one start when you’re shooting a rifle that appears inconsistent? Do you start at the rifle? Ammo? No, you don’t. Before I go any further, I’ll say that I’m going to approach this part of the topic with the utmost humility, not from high atop Mount I-Know-Everything, because I don’t. But, over a long career, I’ve been fortunate to tap into instructional resources and have developed a capable technique with a rifle in my hands. For the best info related to sound technique, I turn to guys like @shlowlight, @dthomas3523 or @bynum.jacob at @rifles_only. These guys are welcome to comment here and open themselves to questions, etc., if they choose. Simply stated, without solid shooting mechanics, it’s hard to start at the rifle when it comes to diagnosing what one sees on the target.

So, and I’m stating this from a position of humility, before you start diving into diagnosing whether a rifle is shooting to its potential, ask yourself an honest question….”Do I have the shooting skills necessary to draw a sound conclusion around how this rifle is shooting?” If not, that’s fine, no one loses their man card over this. But, answering this question honestly will help one faster and more appropriately than not answering it honestly. Shooting is a perishable skill that requires proper technique, an understanding of the environment you’re shooting in and a regular dose of skill building time at the range or in the field. And be prepared, if/when you reach out to me to discuss what could be a “sensitive” rifle, I’m going to start by diving into “you” before talking about your rifle. @vudoogunworks

MB
I think you can view posts on Instagram without an account.

Reactions: RAVAGE88
A few of us from Kansas used to come out to Byers to shoot LR Weekends at CRC, and to shoot HP matches (I legged-out there in July, 2001). Been more than 12yrs IIRC since I've been out to shoot there - what kind of 22RF events is the club running nowadays?

Last edited:
A few of us from Kansas used to come out to Byers to shoot LR Weekends at CRC, and to shoot HP matches (I legged-out there in June, 2001). Been more than 12yrs IIRC since I've been out to shoot there - what kind of 22RF events is the club running nowadays?
This:

as well as traditional NRA-sanctioned SB Prone and SB F-Class.

Last edited:
I also placed an Altus pre-order, I just got an e-mail from my FFL that my 20" MTU barreled action arrived, I just need to get down there to start the 10-day waiting process. Hopefully I can get it in my hands before Memorial Day weekend

This:

as well as traditional NRA-sanctioned SB Prone and SB F-Class.
Thanks for the reply - will keep this match in mind!

A question for the PRS and NRL22 people. My love is shooting standing offhand. Back does not allow me to do the other positions. However my range has a mini-PRS station, a lattice of 2x4s creating windows at various heights. I decided to try shooting with barricade support this week. A Wiebad Fortune Cookie draped over a horizontal 2x4. Breathing, NPA, follow-through good cheek weld, good shoulder weld, proper trigger finger placement and grip pressure same as for offhand shooting as . Feet placement different so still experimenting. My question is what to do with with left arm and hand since I am a right-handed. Looked at various photos and seems one common approach is to place left hand on top of scope near the objective end of the scope. Also where possible to support some portion of the left hand on something solid. Are there principles worth knowing and trying to implement?

One thing is certain. Standing offhand trying to keep shots within a 3MOA disk at 50yd is a challenge, at least for me. Something I cannot do with any degree of regularity. Actually, to be honest, requires something close to a miracle. But with a Vudoo and barricade support, no challenge at all in absence of time pressure. One MOA not so easy, not nearly so easy, in fact a challenge.

A question for the PRS and NRL22 people. My love is shooting standing offhand. Back does not allow me to do the other positions. However my range has a mini-PRS station, a lattice of 2x4s creating windows at various heights. I decided to try shooting with barricade support this week. A Wiebad Fortune Cookie draped over a horizontal 2x4. Breathing, NPA, follow-through good cheek weld, good shoulder weld, proper trigger finger placement and grip pressure same as for offhand shooting as . Feet placement different so still experimenting. My question is what to do with with left arm and hand since I am a right-handed. Looked at various photos and seems one common approach is to place left hand on top of scope near the objective end of the scope. Also where possible to support some portion of the left hand on something solid. Are there principles worth knowing and trying to implement?

One thing is certain. Standing offhand trying to keep shots within a 3MOA disk at 50yd is a challenge, at least for me. Something I cannot do with any degree of regularity. Actually, to be honest, requires something close to a miracle. But with a Vudoo and barricade support, no challenge at all in absence of time pressure. One MOA not so easy, not nearly so easy, in fact a challenge.
You might get better information if you had posted this in the Practical Marksmanship Questions subforum.

Anyone know what/why this is? First real cleaning after 200 rounds and I thought this was carbon. (Looks smaller in real life). But, it ain’t carbon and feels like metal on metal.

5DF4D3F9-144F-4153-BB06-598FF1294D47.jpeg