• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vudoo Gun Works V-22 Rimfire Bolt Action

How do you like the Triggercam? Have you used it on any other rifles?
I like it a lot. I’ve used it on my 6BR as well. I’m not sure if I accidentally left it on but the battery went a little quick last time I used it. However, I was able to use a power pack to charge it while I was using it. I’ve had it on my Tract Toric ELR and Athlon Eres 4.5-30. Fit well on both.
If you connect to the camera using Wi-Fi you can pull the videos over to another device without having to pull the SD card. I like that feature.

Reactions: Longshot231
This post is related to the firing pin strike posting...

I have been studying the primer strikes on my Vudoo and noticed how strong they were. Several types of SK ammunition end up with the rim bent they hit so hard. Had me debating if that affects accuracy by affecting seal, headspace or rebound after impact? what's the school of thought on this?

Below are pics on my primer stikes in the Vudoo. Notice the bent rim on the SK Rifle Match in the second pic.

The Eley imprints have me baffled. I am second guessing I mixed up my casings between the Vudoo and another 22? As expected, note the light Eley imprints, but also makes me think Eley have a harder case head in their brass?
thks

Primer 1.jpg

bent rim.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 10ring1
This post is related to the firing pin strike posting...

I have been studying the primer strikes on my Vudoo and noticed how strong they were. Several types of SK ammunition end up with the rim bent they hit so hard. Had me debating if that affects accuracy by affecting seal, headspace or rebound after impact? what's the school of thought on this?

Below are pics on my primer stikes in the Vudoo. Notice the bent rim on the SK Rifle Match in the second pic.

The Eley imprints have me baffled. I am second guessing I mixed up my casings between the Vudoo and another 22? As expected, note the light Eley imprints, but also makes me think Eley have a harder case head in their brass?
thks

View attachment 8188650

View attachment 8188651

I'm not an expert but in my eye as an Engineer, the Eley casings there have clearly been run through a different firearm as the firing pin impression is differently shaped in all aspects. As for the impacts being too deep, I'd note that a firm and consistent strike on the primer is VERY important to uniform ignition (and resulting accuracy) . I'm also thinking that the case rims shown do not appear any more deformed than in any of my match/precision 22's . ( I've seen some really case rims get mashed in certain guns.) That said, you could try to reduce the force on the case rims by modifying the pin or spring but my bet is you'd be dancing a fine line between making things better (or just as likely) worse. I'd just leave it alone.

Over driving the firing pin can and will cause issues.

Yes you are over driving the pin by alot from the looks of it. Ignition needs to just close up the rim not distort it or bend it like shown. Over driving it will cause issues for sure. Sam
Mr Sam,

Could you give a little more detail on the issues caused from over driving the firing pin?

Thanks!

Reactions: Precision Quest
I'm not an expert but in my eye as an Engineer, the Eley casings there have clearly been run through a different firearm as the firing pin impression is differently shaped in all aspects. As for the impacts being too deep, I'd note that a firm and consistent strike on the primer is VERY important to uniform ignition (and resulting accuracy) . I'm also thinking that the case rims shown do not appear any more deformed than in any of my match/precision 22's . ( I've seen some really case rims get mashed in certain guns.) That said, you could try to reduce the force on the case rims by modifying the pin or spring but my bet is you'd be dancing a fine line between making things better (or just as likely) worse. I'd just leave it alone.
Yeah, I found out I mixed up my cases and the Eley strikes are from another gun. I would be reluctant to make any mods to the firing pin being it shoots good.

Reactions: WeeHooker
After a long hiatus I am back into shooting.
Picked up one of these vudoo a while ago.
Seems to like this Lapua LR a lot more than tenex
I’m so rusty I bet the shot to the right and the low shot are on me
This is with a sparrow 22 can

View attachment 8198646

Zero feeding issues in a ATX unless mag is touched. Does anyone know of a mag guard for a ATX
Does the ATX have an ARCA rail that goes all the way back to the mag well? If it does, a Gray Ops CNC might help. I realize this an MPA chassis...picture from Gray Ops website...been thinking of getting one for mine.
035A5777_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Over driving the firing pin can and will cause issues.

Yes you are over driving the pin by alot from the looks of it. Ignition needs to just close up the rim not distort it or bend it like shown. Over driving it will cause issues for sure. Sam
Yeah, I figured that might tbe case. thks

Mr Sam,

Could you give a little more detail on the issues caused from over driving the firing pin?

Thanks!
Not Sam, but what you will see is called flippers shots that just jump up for no reason. under driving the pin, you will see the opposite dropped shots. both will just happen randomly. but be a cause of wonder if it is the ammo.

Lee

Reactions: Precision Quest
Yeah, I found out I mixed up my cases and the Eley strikes are from another gun. I would be reluctant to make any mods to the firing pin being it shoots good.
What most do is take a little off the corner of the pin so the strike in just inside the rim edge. just make sure if you do this that you have the pin oriented in the right position. the picture of the case hits is for a 12 'o-clock pin.

Lee

Attachments

• H&R M12 .jpg
    H&R M12 .jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 83
what do we need to look for to determine if we are under or over driving firing pin ?

I have a 360 in a atx
I don't have an example of an over driven pin hit but here is an example of a under driven due to a weak spring. I can't remember if it was the 3rd or 5th shot that just dropped the other 4 as you can see went same hole.
this lot of CX was a good one so I know it was not the ammo. changing the spring made this go away.

Lee

Attachments

• tuning session 1-6-2019 - Copy (2).jpg
    tuning session 1-6-2019 - Copy (2).jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 31
I don't have an example of an over driven pin hit but here is an example of a under driven due to a weak spring. I can't remember if it was the 3rd or 5th shot that just dropped the other 4 as you can see went same hole.
this lot of CX was a good one so I know it was not the ammo. changing the spring made this go away.

Lee
Interesting. I do have some groups when using SK ammo that have a bizarre flyer outside of a .1 or a .2 group that ends up like more than 1/2" away from the group. I just wrote it off to "that's .22". I don't really have much in the way of Lapua to test in the gun at this time.
thanks

Interesting. I do have some groups when using SK ammo that have a bizarre flyer outside of a .1 or a .2 group that ends up like more than 1/2" away from the group. I just wrote it off to "that's .22". I don't really have much in the way of Lapua to test in the gun at this time.
thanks
Now you have to know the ammo you are shooting to determine what is happening. does this lot of SK shoot flat? meaning shooting across a horizontal line you have very little up and down shots? here is an example of what I mean all 25 shots are nearly the same height I know this lot shoots flat, so if I start to see shots drop out or jump up, I will know something is not right. this target I shot right after changing the firing pin spring because I noticed the rifle was shooting low and this rifle does not do that.

Lee

Attachments

• IMG_0513 - Copy (2).JPG
    IMG_0513 - Copy (2).JPG
    159.4 KB · Views: 89
Now you have to know the ammo you are shooting to determine what is happening. does this lot of SK shoot flat? meaning shooting across a horizontal line you have very little up and down shots? here is an example of what I mean all 25 shots are nearly the same height I know this lot shoots flat, so if I start to see shots drop out or jump up, I will know something is not right. this target I shot right after changing the firing pin spring because I noticed the rifle was shooting low and this rifle does not do that.

Lee
I get a fair bit more vertical then you target shows.

Thanks for the info

I just sold my Bergara B14R and bought myself a Vudoo. It's an early one but is a big improvement just in how smooth the bolt cocking is and it feeds and extracts so much better. Groups yesterday are not quite what the Bergara shot but it was first time out with it and it was a super clean barrel so I imagine it will get better. Groups in the photo were shooting off a bipod and playing with the tuner so not as good as it can get but not too bad. I gave it a run at 500m as well (mostly to try out the NF prism) and it was pretty decent, hitting the same rock a couple of times from 10 shots. Current setup is in an X-Ray stock, Jewel trigger, 40 MOA rail and Gen 2 Razor. Does anyone know what make the barrel is on the Gen 1? It's an MTU contour.
1691845834381.jpeg

1691846290270.jpeg

1691846107354.jpeg

Gtar - if it's the original barrel, you might contact VGW with the rifle's s/n to see if they can look it up in their records to tell you what bbl they used to put it together. Or simply take it out of the chassis and look for a small, uppercase letter stamped at the bbl's 6:00, an inch or so ahead of the action. An A would be their own ACE, B would be a Bartlein.

Reactions: Gtar
Gtar - if it's the original barrel, you might contact VGW with the rifle's s/n to see if they can look it up in their records to tell you what bbl they used to put it together. Or simply take it out of the chassis and look for a small, uppercase letter stamped at the bbl's 6:00, an inch or so ahead of the action. An A would be their own ACE, B would be a Bartlein.
Thanks, I'll have a look. (y)

I just sold my Bergara B14R and bought myself a Vudoo. It's an early one but is a big improvement just in how smooth the bolt cocking is and it feeds and extracts so much better. Groups yesterday are not quite what the Bergara shot but it was first time out with it and it was a super clean barrel so I imagine it will get better. Groups in the photo were shooting off a bipod and playing with the tuner so not as good as it can get but not too bad. I gave it a run at 500m as well (mostly to try out the NF prism) and it was pretty decent, hitting the same rock a couple of times from 10 shots. Current setup is in an X-Ray stock, Jewel trigger, 40 MOA rail and Gen 2 Razor. Does anyone know what make the barrel is on the Gen 1? It's an MTU contour.
View attachment 8202836
View attachment 8202841
View attachment 8202840
You mentioned that it is an early V-22, and based on the bolt assembly it looks to be a Gen1. In my opinion the Gen1 action with the melonited bolt was the smoothest action of them all…

You mentioned that it is an early V-22, and based on the bolt assembly it looks to be a Gen1. In my opinion the Gen1 action with the melonited bolt was the smoothest action of them all…
That looks to be the case, it's got the Remington style cocking piece. I've used a Lithgow LA101 for a while and it is a lovely little rifle, I just didn't want to rebarrel it to add some weight. I bought the Bergara for the compatability with stocks etc and it's amazingly accurate, just a bit clunky and I got a bit paranoid after seeing some broken bolts. This honestly feels as though the bolt isn't even cocking compared to the Bergara and it feeds and ejects so much more consistently. I'm looking forward to shooting a match with it in a couple of weeks and seeing how it goes.

A few months ago there was some rumors about Vudoo coming out with a new magazine, anyone know if its
true.

Perhaps Zermatt did, Vudoo had the new mags at shot show. Looked like a very similar design. Which I thought was great due to the Zermatt mags working so well. I’ve been eagerly waiting. I emailed them a little while back and they said they weren’t happy with something and were changing them.

I really like the Vudoo and will probably get one eventually. though I understand the argument for the magazine’s form factor, I don’t compete and therefore don’t want it. What I’d really like is a more conventional bottom metal and small- format magazine. I doubt Vudoo is interested in doing this format, since they’re busy enough. I’m putting a feeler out to see if anyone has tried making such a change.
Jack

I really like the Vudoo and will probably get one eventually. though I understand the argument for the magazine’s form factor, I don’t compete and therefore don’t want it. What I’d really like is a more conventional bottom metal and small- format magazine. I doubt Vudoo is interested in doing this format, since they’re busy enough. I’m putting a feeler out to see if anyone has tried making such a change.
Jack

Yeah I wouldn’t hold you breath. Vudoo likes to go forward and not back to tiny mags. Plenty of rifles take them or you could get a single shot Vudoo if the mag sticking out bothers you.

Jack

So much easier to swap mags in and out of a Vudoo vs a Anschutz or a CZ where you have to feel around, or turn the rifle
on its side to find the magwell.

So much easier to swap mags in and out of a Vudoo vs a Anschutz or a CZ where you have to feel around, or turn the rifle
on its side to find the magwell.
Nothing more true has ever been posted on the Hide. I swapped my first mag in the Vudoo without looking 2 years ago. Been shooting Anschutz rifles (x3) for about 15 months and have to fumble around and/or look every time.

Reactions: Schütze and Rob01
Well, I’ve recived the responses I expected. My thought was to use a light-barreled Vudoo action to build a custom sporter. The magazine as currently issued, for all its merits, would not be very visually pleasing. Probably I’ll come up with an alternative build idea at some point.
Jack

Well, I’ve recived the responses I expected. My thought was to use a light-barreled Vudoo action to build a custom sporter. The magazine as currently issued, for all its merits, would not be very visually pleasing. Probably I’ll come up with an alternative build idea at some point.
Jack
Get a 5 round mag, it'll still stick out, but not as much.

Jack
Now listen SON, sometimes selecting visually pleasing guns is like getting a smoking hot looking frigid woman. :ROFLMAO:

Jack
Vudoo V22S on an ADL style stock?? This would look sharp and eliminate the need for mags.

Jack
I begged Vudoo for a flush 5 round mag for years and finally gave up. Lots of hunter types that I shoot with cant stand the size of the Vudoo mags. They understand the reason, but wont buy one.

I also asked L3 about it and they didnt think there was enough interest.

Long story short, start begging L3 for a flush fit mag.

Something like one of these size wise.

https://hawkinsprecision.com/hawkins-precision-hunter-magazines/

I begged Vudoo for a flush 5 round mag for years and finally gave up. Lots of hunter types that I shoot with cant stand the size of the Vudoo mags. They understand the reason, but wont buy one.

I also asked L3 about it and they didnt think there was enough interest.

Long story short, start begging L3 for a flush fit mag.

Something like one of these size wise.

https://hawkinsprecision.com/hawkins-precision-hunter-magazines/
I bet I could make one without a button that was semi flush. Maybe glue it all together. Hmmm, might have to cut some down tonight and see how far it would have to go

So have a Gen I that I’m wanting to get rebarreled. It currently has a 18” Kukri profile (this was the trend back then) now I want to go to a 21” proof competition, MTU, M24. I have been reaching out to the “poplular” smiths who have been building a few of the top Vudoo’s being used in NRL/PRS style matches only to learn that the Gen I action cannot be rebarreled to match the headspace and that Vudoo has don MANY improvements and they recommend just buying another full barreled action with a 360 action.

Awesome to know my GEN I has so many problems and isn’t worth a rebarrel. LOL

Contacted Vudoo and they said they would look at doing the work starting at $700.

Who else is doing Gen I rebarrels?

• Wow
Reactions: Mike_in_FL
I'm not surprised at the $700 price tag for a re-barrel job. I've been buying Bartlein & Krieger barrels for my little one-man gunsmithing business since I started in 2005 - and even with the small discount they give someone like me who usually orders no more than a dozen blanks per year, the price per blank is up over $400 after Bartlein tacks on the $50-$60 shipping charges.

So have a Gen I that I’m wanting to get rebarreled. It currently has a 18” Kukri profile (this was the trend back then) now I want to go to a 21” proof competition, MTU, M24. I have been reaching out to the “poplular” smiths who have been building a few of the top Vudoo’s being used in NRL/PRS style matches only to learn that the Gen I action cannot be rebarreled to match the headspace and that Vudoo has don MANY improvements and they recommend just buying another full barreled action with a 360 action.

Contacted Vudoo and they said they would look at doing the work starting at $700.

That’s bullshit. If they can’t rebarrel it then that’s on them and not the action. Just had my Gen 1 rebarreled by Vudoo and no issues at all. I got my original barrel back to put on later if I wanted. Just have Vudoo do it.

I've never heard of that around the Gen 1. I know that a rebarrel for a Gen2/V360 is $500.

Depends on what is getting done. The standard rebarrel is about $550. Add in a tuner and it's about another $170 plus shipping for anything being done.

Wellllll, also , I know inflation and things go up but a few years ago they said if you wanted to change barrels send it in and what was it 300 swap barrels , you couldn’t buy a barrel blank for that much , just a couple of days ago on one of the threads a guy was happy that they had told him 500 to send it in and they would swap barrels , idk need to verify , nothing is inexpensive any longer .
You might need to call and verify with vudoo again

Wellllll, also , I know inflation and things go up but a few years ago they said if you wanted to change barrels send it in and what was it 300 swap barrels , you couldn’t buy a barrel blank for that much , just a couple of days ago on one of the threads a guy was happy that they had told him 500 to send it in and they would swap barrels , idk need to verify , nothing is inexpensive any longer .
You might need to call and verify with vudoo again
Yea I recall Vudoo being $300-$500 for a barrel swap but $700 seems on the high end for starting price.

I was quoted this today.

I'm not surprised at the $700 price tag for a re-barrel job. I've been buying Bartlein & Krieger barrels for my little one-man gunsmithing business since I started in 2005 - and even with the small discount they give someone like me who usually orders no more than a dozen blanks per year, the price per blank is up over $400 after Bartlein tacks on the $50-$60 shipping charges.

Unless you have some special attachment to your Gen 1, I'd just sell it and buy a brand new barreled action (Gen 2 or 3) in the upcoming labor day and black Friday sales. The price difference once your done will be near equal to the cost to rebarrel and you'll get all the enhancements FWIW, I have a Gen 3 in with vudoo now getting a 25"+/- Shillen Ratchet swapped in. Cost quoted me was $550 fully machined and installed. They get $550 for any GenII/III rebarrel with whatever barrel they stock IMHO, that's a pretty decent deal. Lead time is around a month right now.