• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vudoo Gun Works V-22 Rimfire Bolt Action

did a little shooting yesterday with the Vudoo's and the new Begara. It shot pretty decent accuracy wise right out of the box, but not on the same level as the vudoo's when it comes to the bolt. Yes i cleaned and oiled it up first, but it's heavy and not close to as smooth as the vudoo's and one of them was also new out of the box a week ago. Going to shoot it a bunch this week, but if it doesn't improve, will b on the chopping block

Attachments

• IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 140
I wasn't aware that BAT made a 700 footprint action. The thing that I would want would be a bolt throw that is sized appropriately for the cartridge being shot. I wouldn't want a .308 length stroke to load and eject a Vartarg or Hornet sized cartridge. Maybe the BAT action can be built to accommodate this? I have no idea.

The BAT VR is a 2 lug action does the 90 degree bolt opening. Played with 2, one with the stainless receiver and the other with the carbon steel receiver. Both with stainless bolts. The carbon steel version felt so much better, bolt felt like it was on bearings. Do wish it was a 3 lug.

I built myself three LR prone rifles for NRA conventional LR prone matches several years ago, plus one LR BR rifle on BAT 3L & 3LL actions, all stainless. I've often wondered how much slicker the CM actions would've been...but all four of these rifles are still a real pleasure to shoot. BAT went so far as to put a roller on the cocking piece nose to reduce friction of the steeper cocking ramp necessitated by the 3-lug design. IIRC, BAT wasn't making sloped scope rails for these actions when I bought mine - or if they were, I wasn't happy with the price, because I wound up making 20 MOA slope rails for all four of mine, two with an integral rear sight base for use in matches that require irons.
Here's a shot of one of them that I barreled in 6.5x47L in a nice McGee English walnut stock that Doan Trevor finished & bedded for me. Since this is the rimfire forum, the photo includes a shot of a CMP 52D 'sporter' that Mike Ross barreled with a Broughton blank contoured to match the reproduction sporters sold by Browning, with another English walnut stock that Doan did for me. The shot spotter disc came off one of my targets at Ben Avery range in Phoenix during the 2011 Berger SW LR Nationals matches; shot during a 1000yd any sight match with scope on the BAT 6.5x47. Was shooting Berger 130VLDs at just over 2900fps. ETA - Steve & Shirley McGee were pulling my target during that match, and they're the ones who wrote the comments on it and brought it back up to the firing line after the match.

Attachments

• DSC_0547.JPG
    DSC_0547.JPG
    513.8 KB · Views: 183
  • DSC_0306.JPG
    DSC_0306.JPG
    261.7 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
Thanks for the complement reubenski - glad you like them. Most of the credit for these rifles goes to Steve & Shirley McGee, who invited me to their place to go through all their stock blanks to find the one I wanted for the BAT, and then duplicated it out to make the most of the grain figure, and most certainly to Doan Trevor, who finished the prone stock, and who made the M52 stock from a blank. Doan also added some very nice touches to both stocks, like shadowing the cuts for the vented forearm, action gas vent hole, ejection port, etc. He also found an actual Winchester checkered steel buttplate for the M52 stock, and made pistol grip cap & forearm tip from pieces of bastogne walnut. You could call Doan a craftsman, but that doesn't do his skills justice - he's an artist, in both wood & metal. Every time I handle & look at one of these rifles, I recall good times spent with Doan & the McGees at matches, and am thankful for having the chance to get to know them all.

did a little shooting yesterday with the Vudoo's and the new Begara. It shot pretty decent accuracy wise right out of the box, but not on the same level as the vudoo's when it comes to the bolt. Yes i cleaned and oiled it up first, but it's heavy and not close to as smooth as the vudoo's and one of them was also new out of the box a week ago. Going to shoot it a bunch this week, but if it doesn't improve, will b on the chopping block

Kind of a ribeye vs chuck discussion. You can’t really expect a $1k rifle to be a $2.5k rifle. There were multiple reasons I didn’t go with a Bergara B14R but one of them was I didn’t want to “settle” and end up sorry I used funds that would have gotten me to a Vudoo sooner. Not knocking the Bergara, just looking at it from a “you usually get what you pay for” in today’s economy.

Placed my order for a 20" MTU BA from Brotherhood on the 4th. Should be to the FFL late this week, or early next week. And here I sit 500 miles away and won't be home until next month. Argh.

Lots of good info in this thread. Thanks to all the contributors!

Reactions: 10ring1
Ok fellas, home from SHOT and mostly have my bearings again. SHOT was crazy for Vudoo in a good way and all I have to say is, the world of Rimfire has never had it so good. The best thing to come from the show is NO ONE from Vudoo took SHOT Show SARS home, everyone is healthy....mostly because someone forced everyone to start doping on Vitamin C months ahead of time.

The Magnum action was a huge hit, as were the Billet Magazines and new Triggers. We're still building inventory on Magazines and finalizing what we need to get the triggers here from Italy. I'm headed back to St George tomorrow to finish ramping things up for the Magnum and we'll be off and running. Vudoo was a big part of the Mile High Shooting booth and we couldn't have had a better industry partner, along with JP Rifles and Timney Triggers. We also had a rifle in the Thunderbeast booth because, as always, Ray, Zack and the crew are top notch.

As always, reach out if you need anything,

MB

Hey guys, I’ve been lurking here for quite a while but didn’t pay much attention to ring height. I had some Burris rings laying around and put a Burris xtr2 on it and it sits way too high. What ring height should work best with my setup

Attachments

• DE0CD5DF-2F43-4B6C-A1B0-E0CB8464AC87.jpeg
    DE0CD5DF-2F43-4B6C-A1B0-E0CB8464AC87.jpeg
    830.1 KB · Views: 137
  • D22B8B3F-E8BF-47BC-82B4-D4FF5D487799.jpeg
    D22B8B3F-E8BF-47BC-82B4-D4FF5D487799.jpeg
    777.7 KB · Views: 157
  • B22D66BD-A674-448B-A29E-CF848B44960F.jpeg
    B22D66BD-A674-448B-A29E-CF848B44960F.jpeg
    868.3 KB · Views: 134
I've got Seekins/Vortex low 34mm rings on the Athlon Cronus scopes on my comp V22s. Have an Athlon Gen 2 Midas BTR on a V22 sporter, and put it in TPS TSR low rings. Those Burris rings on your rifle look like extra high versions....like something designed to be used on an AR15 or AR10.

Ok fellas, home from SHOT and mostly have my bearings again. SHOT was crazy for Vudoo in a good way and all I have to say is, the world of Rimfire has never had it so good. The best thing to come from the show is NO ONE from Vudoo took SHOT Show SARS home, everyone is healthy....mostly because someone forced everyone to start doping on Vitamin C months ahead of time.

The Magnum action was a huge hit, as were the Billet Magazines and new Triggers. We're still building inventory on Magazines and finalizing what we need to get the triggers here from Italy. I'm headed back to St George tomorrow to finish ramping things up for the Magnum and we'll be off and running. Vudoo was a big part of the Mile High Shooting booth and we couldn't have had a better industry partner, along with JP Rifles and Timney Triggers. We also had a rifle in the Thunderbeast booth because, as always, Ray, Zack and the crew are top notch.

As always, reach out if you need anything,

MB

So you endorse the TB Takedown 22 as the official suppressor for Voodoo rifles? :geek:

You don't have to answer that. ;)

Reactions: Geno C.
I've got Seekins/Vortex low 34mm rings on the Athlon Cronus scopes on my comp V22s. Have an Athlon Gen 2 Midas BTR on a V22 sporter, and put it in TPS TSR low rings. Those Burris rings on your rifle look like extra high versions....like something designed to be used on an AR15 or AR10.

Thx flatland. I’ll see what I can find

Why not? And when you do, why?

For me personally, it's a novelty that wore off a long time ago. Nothing wrong with shooting suppressed, just doesn't appeal to me for rimfire with a rife that's already quiet. For centerfire, I shoot suppressed more often, but it's still a pretty low percentage of the time.

MB

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
Mike

Glad you are back from SHOT. I am hoping info on the bench rest rifle will be coming out soon. I cannot think of anything else.

Thanks
Jerry

Mike,
just wanted to let you know that the new begara arrived last week and we spent sunday afternoon shooting it side x side with the Vudoo's, while nice, it's going join a clusterfuck of 22's vying for second place in the king of the mountain :)

I appreciate the perspective Jinx. ??

MB

Reactions: nakoa01
I appreciate the perspective Jinx. ??

MB
Mike,
How much of a factor in accuracy do you believe lies in cutting a rim fire chamber in a larger breech end of a barrel than other Benchrest gunsmiths do. Thanks

Mike,
How much of a factor in accuracy do you believe lies in cutting a rim fire chamber in a larger breech end of a barrel than other Benchrest gunsmiths do. Thanks

Not a factor in accuracy.

MB

shooting a 4" target tonite at 200yds, shooting SW with 10 gusting to 20 mph NW wind, holding 1.2 mil for wind and dialed 6.5 mil E, hitting 10 for 10. Shooting center x . Impressed! Going to 300 yds this weekend

shooting a 4" target tonite at 200yds, shooting SW with 10 gusting to 20 mph NW wind, holding 1.2 mil for wind and dialed 6.5 mil E, hitting 10 for 10. Shooting center x . Impressed! Going to 300 yds this weekend

Good shooting sir! Especially in gusts....kill me around here with all the hills/pasture on my farm, sometimes just simply too much to account for. Still learning more about wind when shooting my 22’s than I ever could have at “normal” ranges with a cf.

I can’t shoot past 175 off my back yard bench so I’ve gone from a 4” 3/8 AR500 plate, then added a 2” plate now have a 1” plate on order. When the wind dies down or steady, the two I have now need some more challenge.

Great picture of a really nice looking rifle!!

Ditto. What optic?

Ordered mine a little over 3 weeks ago. Hoping like hell it shows up soon. Invoice shows "Date Scheduled" as 2/4/20. I'm hoping that's the ship date. The anticipation is killin' me.

Only if you post a pic of them ; )
DW

Posting a pic of mine. First time out with it yesterday and have one 5 shot group from 50 at .16”. Pretty stoked. Best so far was eley contact, haven’t shot any center x yet till I get a few more rounds down it.

Attachments

• 4ACE4904-9D9C-46BF-9FAD-78739B6E41DE.jpeg
    4ACE4904-9D9C-46BF-9FAD-78739B6E41DE.jpeg
    810.7 KB · Views: 130
  • 8F303BB2-602A-4E48-8126-F8560732A6E0.jpeg
    8F303BB2-602A-4E48-8126-F8560732A6E0.jpeg
    375.7 KB · Views: 120
Posting a pic of mine. First time out with it yesterday and have one 5 shot group from 50 at .16”. Pretty stoked. Best so far was eley contact, haven’t shot any center x yet till I get a few more rounds down it.
Nice! Specter contour barrel?
DW