• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vudoo Gun Works V-22 Rimfire Bolt Action

Anyone using the AI AT chassis? I have an MPA Comp now but considering a AT. Are there dove tail plates for the AT?

Anyone using the AI AT chassis? I have an MPA Comp now but considering a AT. Are there dove tail plates for the AT?

I've used my AI AT chassis a lot, not sure what you mean by dovetail plates.

MB

I reckon he means an Arca plate that will attach to an AT... I'm no AI guy, so I can't answer that.

what barrel length, contour, and weight by extension, do you guys recommend for a NRL22/PRS rimfire? im stuck between 18in kukri/20in kukri, and 18in/20in MTU. im tempted to go MTU, but im already worried about its weight. the final build will set at around 13lbs for the 18in kukri, and 14lbs for the MTU. is that too heavy for the offhand and positional shooting?

thanks for all the advice guys!

I run a 22” mtu. Was running a j Allen, and now an AI chassis.

I typically run 8/10 or 9/10 on the non supported stuff. And regardless of any kind of stage I always shoot the smallest target.

I’m a little fatigued by the end, but with proper use of a sling and proper body position, you shouldn’t feel much of the weight at all.

After reading all the posts in this thread I just ordered an Ace 18 inch Kukri barreled action. Paul and Jill are great to deal with and answered my many questions. Their knowledge, expertise and patience certainly enhanced the ordering experience. Now the wait begins!
Phil G

Reactions: rizzle
I run a 22” mtu. Was running a j Allen, and now an AI chassis.

I typically run 8/10 or 9/10 on the non supported stuff. And regardless of any kind of stage I always shoot the smallest target.

I’m a little fatigued by the end, but with proper use of a sling and proper body position, you shouldn’t feel much of the weight at all.

maybe ill go for the 20" MTU then. going from 13lbs to 14lbs isn't going to make a huge difference i suppose. how heavy is your rifle? a 22" MTU with an AI chassis and a good scope sounds like itll be quite heavy

I personally wouldn't run a MTU on a .22 like this. I see no need at all. With a centerfire trying to kill recoil maybe adding weight would be good but we are actually going with lighter stocks to lighten the rifles up. We run 18" Kukri contour and it's plenty heavy.

After reading all the posts in this thread I just ordered an Ace 18 inch Kukri barreled action. Paul and Jill are great to deal with and answered my many questions. Their knowledge, expertise and patience certainly enhanced the ordering experience. Now the wait begins!
Phil G

You will love that rifle. Congrats!

Finally :giggle:

0C517C90-00FB-4384-808B-541D556CB29A.jpeg

Great news today! Got the call from Jill at Vudoo today that my 2nd Vudoo barreled action was done and shipped today. Ordered it on January 9th. It is a 22" Bartlien Kukri with 30moa rail. The bad news: it is due to arrive at my FFL on Monday, they're closed on Monday, so can't pick it up till Tuesday.
Try being in California. You get to see it briefly while the state charges you a fee for a DROZ check that they impose, then you give it back to the gun shop and go home and cry for the next 10 days until you get it back. Torture at its finest.

Got mine today! 18in proof. Cobalt cerakote.

Only concern though, bolt on close seemed a little tight at times. Could it be the cerakoted action? Will it slicken up after time?
Anybody had this issue or tips to make it run smoother?
View attachment 7025980View attachment 7025981

they only cerakote the exterior of the action, any surfaces needed for shooting the rifle is left uncoated. that being said, they probably machine it to really tight specs to it might just be a bit tight naturally. if you call them theyll help you out

Reactions: man32ahan
they only cerakote the exterior of the action, any surfaces needed for shooting the rifle is left uncoated. that being said, they probably machine it to really tight specs to it might just be a bit tight naturally. if you call them theyll help you out

Mines coated inside and out, the bolt is stiff. I haven’t oiled it yet though.

After further review in much better lighting the internals are not coated on mine, oiled it up and shot a few today. Awesome stuff :)

Last edited:
I personally wouldn't run a MTU on a .22 like this. I see no need at all. With a centerfire trying to kill recoil maybe adding weight would be good but we are actually going with lighter stocks to lighten the rifles up. We run 18" Kukri contour and it's plenty heavy.

Yep, I agree 100% and I have shot the 22" MTU that I bought for my father and my 20" Kukri. I much prefer the Kukri contour for the weight and balance.

Only concern though, bolt on close seemed a little tight at times. Could it be the cerakoted action? Will it slicken up after time?

I have found when they are new (low round count or minimal cycling) and dry they are a little sticky / tight. A light coat of QUALITY oil will slick it right up, makes a night and day difference. Just a little is all you need...

View attachment 7025980View attachment 7025981
Looks good! I figured I would I have the first in town but you beat me to it. Once mine comes in we need to get together and shoot.

I see you guys talking about 22 inch MTU barrels. Are these special order? On the site they say the MTU is only available up to 18 inches, and the Kukuri is available in 22. But I also saw someone who had a Kukuri in 26 inch. Are these all special order?

My bolt was tight initially (also Cerakoted action) after 500 rounds it wasn't and issue, after 5K it's butter.

Has anybody ever inquired about getting their Vudoo Robar NP3 coated?

I see you guys talking about 22 inch MTU barrels. Are these special order? On the site they say the MTU is only available up to 18 inches, and the Kukuri is available in 22. But I also saw someone who had a Kukuri in 26 inch. Are these all special order?
I ordered a 20 inch MTU last week. They seem to have quite a bit of options in stock. Give them a call.

Great news today! Got the call from Jill at Vudoo today that my 2nd Vudoo barreled action was done and shipped today. Ordered it on January 9th. It is a 22" Bartlien Kukri with 30moa rail. The bad news: it is due to arrive at my FFL on Monday, they're closed on Monday, so can't pick it up till Tuesday.
Huh! Ordered jan 9th? Already got it..Mine was ordered sept-oct lol..im guessing yours not fluted

I run an MTU to mimic comp gun as much as possible. Might as well get some training value moving a rifle the same weight around.

Also use it for some cheap training in general.

Some might not see a point, but at the same time, I don’t see a point why not to make the weight as close to the same.

Fluted?? Nowhere on the site did I see anything related to fluted barrels. When I was looking at getting a Kidd Supergrade, I absolutely wanted a fluted barrel, but I never even considered one for the Vudoo. I guess I have never seen one, so never considered it. I don't shoot centerfire (yet, LOL!) so not trying to mimic anything. Does the fluting do anything for accuracy, or is it just for weight?

I run an MTU to mimic comp gun as much as possible. Might as well get some training value moving a rifle the same weight around.

Some might not see a point, but at the same time, I don’t see a point why not to make the weight as close to the same.
I agree. I did a mtu to match closely my longer m24 contour dasher. same stock and scope. But I can shoot the vudoo at my house to practice.

Fluted?? Nowhere on the site did I see anything related to fluted barrels. When I was looking at getting a Kidd Supergrade, I absolutely wanted a fluted barrel, but I never even considered one for the Vudoo. I guess I have never seen one, so never considered it. I don't shoot centerfire (yet, LOL!) so not trying to mimic anything. Does the fluting do anything for accuracy, or is it just for weight?
You mean something this :)
FB_IMG_1550288538898.jpg

Reactions: RandomWAguy
That exactly. Or, a straight flute. Are these custom orders, because I don't see them on their site.

idk if theres a definitive answer on the effect of fluting on accuracy. it seems to actually decrease rigidity. youd think it increases it, but fluting isnt the same as folding and by removing material from the barrel, you decrease wall thickness and rigidity. you can also mess with the tight tolerances of a match barrel and introduce wall stress and mess with the harmonics. that being said, bison ballistics mentions two data points that theoretically and anecdotally mention that fluting increases accuracy. gun-tests.com tested a barrel and found that their group size reduced by 15.7% and 8% for two different loads, but with a caveat that this gain could be due to barrel break-in. however, this post from PRB, while 4-5yrs old, says that both shilen and AI refuse to flute the barrels saying it drops accuracy and that AI engineers did formal testing. so who knows.

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2014/11/18/rifle-barrels-what-the-pros-use/

Last edited:

I would also if that was the intent.

idk if theres a definitive answer on the effect of fluting on accuracy. it seems to actually decrease rigidity. youd think it increases it, but fluting isnt the same as folding and by removing material from the barrel, you decrease wall thickness and rigidity. you can also mess with the tight tolerances of a match barrel and introduce wall stress and mess with the harmonics. that being said, bison ballistics mentions two data points that theoretically and anecdotally mention that fluting increases accuracy. gun-tests.com tested a barrel and found that their group size reduced by 15.7% and 8% for two different loads, but with a caveat that this gain could be due to barrel break-in. however, this post from PRB, while 4-5yrs old, says that both shilen and AI refuse to flute the barrels saying it drops accuracy and that AI engineers did formal testing. so who knows.

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2014/11/18/rifle-barrels-what-the-pros-use/

I have not been fortunate enough to have a large sample size, but I have owned several fluted barrels and 5X that many not fluted and have never seen an accuracy difference. I regard it as purely cosmetic or justify it as a weight reduction method, nothing more honestly.

Reactions: RAVAGE88
I have absolutely zero personal knowledge of this topic, just what I read on the Internet, and you know what that's worth (the Hide excluded, of course). Jut from a logical point of view, it would seem that removing material to flute a barrel would make it not as stiff, but I have seen people say the opposite.
Also saw something about having to get the muzzle back bored if it was threaded, because the threading causes the bore to open up in the area of the threading, and the muzzle needs to be back bored to a point behind the threading. Like I said, I have no personal knowledge. Does Vudoo do this, or has anybody heard of this? Is it the removal of metal to thread that reduced tension in the threaded area that causes this (if it indeed happens)?

im only using it for 22lr so im trying to keep it lighter

Last edited:
That exactly. Or, a straight flute. Are these custom orders, because I don't see them on their site.
Vudoo is pretty much a custom firearms manufacturer. Make notes of what you want your rifle to be and give them a call. They will answer your questions.

Reactions: JPOPS
Where back-boring the muzzle is concerned, I did that on four of the custom bbls I put on Stiller, 40X/XB, & V-22 actions. It wasn't even an original idea of mine; I'd read that the Anschutz North American Custom Shop was doing it to the bbls they threaded and thought if they were doing it, shouldn't I do it too? Well, jbell & I had a discussion on whether doing so might introduce some turbulence issues on bullets while they were still in the back-bored section at the muzzle that could possibly have a negative effect on accuracy. At first, I kind of blew it off, since I thought my barrels had all shot good enough that back-boring was unlikely to have had any effect on accuracy.

Then I bought three bbl'd actions from Vudoo Gun Works (two 22" Bartlein Kukris & an 18" ACE Ranch), and found the accuracy out of the Kukri I'd bought for myself to be superior with the same lots of ammo that I was shooting out of the Kriegers on my 40XB & V-22. It bothered me to the point where I pulled the back-bored Krieger I'd done off my original V-22, dialed the muzzle in very carefully, and cut the back-bored portion (.450" IIRC) off & re-crowned it. Testing after doing that showed a measurable & consistent reduction in group size with several different grades of SK & Lapua ammo, so I did the same operation to the Krieger on my 40XB, and got a very similar amount of improvement. So, maybe Anschuta NA cut a back-bore dia smaller or larger - relative to the bore dia - than I did, and maybe their method doesn't hurt accuracy - IDK. All I know is what I just stated - getting rid of the back-bored muzzle helped the accuracy of all three bbls I did this to (also did the same to the Benchmark bbl on my 40X).

When it comes to fluting, I think it looks good on some rifles, but it's not worth the cost to me, and I really have a hard time believing that fluting is going to have enough of an effect on harmonics of a given bbl to have any positive effect on accuracy. I was apparently wrong about back-boring muzzles, and I certainly could be wrong about fluting - but hey, it's your money. If you want to spend the $$ to have a perfectly good bbl fluted, go for it.

Does anyone know if the TriggerTech Diamond with flat lever will fit into the Vudoo OEM trigger guard? I have a 510 in there currently and it's not far from striking the guard.

As soon as the winter decides to let up around here Ill be throwing all kinds out there!

wish we had a decent winter here...been too warm and muddy to do anything outdoors. Would love to see a comparison to your Annie.

Last edited:
If it comes out favorable, that will be the tipping point for me.

Where back-boring the muzzle is concerned, I did that on four of the custom bbls I put on Stiller, 40X/XB, & V-22 actions. It wasn't even an original idea of mine; I'd read that the Anschutz North American Custom Shop was doing it to the bbls they threaded and thought if they were doing it, shouldn't I do it too? Well, jbell & I had a discussion on whether doing so might introduce some turbulence issues on bullets while they were still in the back-bored section at the muzzle that could possibly have a negative effect on accuracy. At first, I kind of blew it off, since I thought my barrels had all shot good enough that back-boring was unlikely to have had any effect on accuracy.

Then I bought three bbl'd actions from Vudoo Gun Works (two 22" Bartlein Kukris & an 18" ACE Ranch), and found the accuracy out of the Kukri I'd bought for myself to be superior with the same lots of ammo that I was shooting out of the Kriegers on my 40XB & V-22. It bothered me to the point where I pulled the back-bored Krieger I'd done off my original V-22, dialed the muzzle in very carefully, and cut the back-bored portion (.450" IIRC) off & re-crowned it. Testing after doing that showed a measurable & consistent reduction in group size with several different grades of SK & Lapua ammo, so I did the same operation to the Krieger on my 40XB, and got a very similar amount of improvement. So, maybe Anschuta NA cut a back-bore dia smaller or larger - relative to the bore dia - than I did, and maybe their method doesn't hurt accuracy - IDK. All I know is what I just stated - getting rid of the back-bored muzzle helped the accuracy of all three bbls I did this to (also did the same to the Benchmark bbl on my 40X).

When it comes to fluting, I think it looks good on some rifles, but it's not worth the cost to me, and I really have a hard time believing that fluting is going to have enough of an effect on harmonics of a given bbl to have any positive effect on accuracy. I was apparently wrong about back-boring muzzles, and I certainly could be wrong about fluting - but hey, it's your money. If you want to spend the $$ to have a perfectly good bbl fluted, go for it.

thought there was a thread on here the other day about fluting, and someone from Bartlin barrels chimed in and basically said they've found it doesn't have any affect on accuracy or barrel strength

Does anyone know if the TriggerTech Diamond with flat lever will fit into the Vudoo OEM trigger guard? I have a 510 in there currently and it's not far from striking the guard.
I ordered my rifle a couple of weeks ago with a TTD flat lever, so it must fit or else they wouldn't have let me order it that way.

Last edited: