• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vudoo Gun Works V-22 Rimfire Bolt Action

I could use a little assistance with scope rail and ring selection. I see some people are using very large MOA rails (30 and up). on my 308 FTR midrange rifle 20 is the size rail I use, and is common. why are we using 30+ for the V2?

I am having a KRG Bravo V22 built with a 20 moa rail and a Athlon 4.5-30x56 Ares ETR 34mm Riflescope.

This scope looks to be popular.

1) Is 20moa enough?

2) What Height/Brand rings are working with this combo?
20 MOA was plenty with my Cronus, but I wasn’t shooting 300-500 yards like some of these guys going up to 60 MOA. Like NW said, the guys can give you a better idea of what you need if you say how far you plan to shoot.
I use medium ARC and NF rings around 1.1” and they worked with the slope and with Defender caps.

I have a Bravo V22 18" Ace, 30MOA rail with Ares ETR in MOA. Zero'd at 50yds, up 6 MOA @100, up 24 MOA at 200 which is basically one full rotation of the turret.

This is at 200yd position, scope has 110MOA internal adjustment.

i-KkCh9fX-M.jpg

How much internal adjustment is "normal" in a scope (in adjustment of yards, for example, 25 to 300, or 25 to 500)? Would it be normal to switch out rails to get farther out in a competition, or would you just get a scope and rail with the appropriate amount of adjustment?

How much internal adjustment is "normal" in a scope (in adjustment of yards, for example, 25 to 300, or 25 to 500)? Would it be normal to switch out rails to get farther out in a competition, or would you just get a scope and rail with the appropriate amount of adjustment?
You as a rule just run the rail to suit your needs. Most tier 1 optics have at least 26mils of internal adjustment.

I didn't see a reason not to go with the 30moa rail when I ordered my Vudoo. Later I added a set of Burris signature rings to add another 15moa of can't to get more available elevation in my scope, (AMG has 27mils). I recently bought another scope with 32 mills of adjustment and tonight I change my rail to a 60moa. I'll also use a set of Burris Signature ring and setup this scope to maximize the available elevation. With my Vudoo I use a 50y zero and after that I want everything possible in the scope available in elevation. 22lr eats up elevation over distance and I'm regularly shooting out to 400+ yards.

I have a Bravo V22 18" Ace, 30MOA rail with Ares ETR in MOA. Zero'd at 50yds, up 6 MOA @100, up 24 MOA at 200 which is basically one full rotation of the turret.

This is at 200yd position, scope has 110MOA internal adjustment.

i-KkCh9fX-M.jpg

Well that's looks like you have quite a bit of elevation left. 200yds would mostly be the Max distance for me shooting. The 30 moa rail looks like the trick.

By the way like to see a pic of your rig.

Thanks

I think so far I'm in the minority, after getting mu Vudoo on Monday and finally having time to put the scope on it and playing with it yesterday, I think I would get the rifle a 4 out of 10. If I were to play with the gun before purchasing, I would not have bought. This is just my opinion but what I went through. I bought a full build in a Bravo chassis. After opening the box and taking the gun out there was a screw rolling inside the bag bouncing off the gun probably the whole time in transport, it was the rear tang screw. After looking over and not seeing much damage, pulled the bolt out and inserted into the action, gritty and lots of slop, pulled apart and cleaned. Not much better for gritty feel still sloppy till locked up, really couldn't cycle with one hand comfortably. Next I decided to pull the action from the chassis, I do this on all my guns when I first get them. Not 100% sure if it is a chassis problem or action problem but it is a bitch getting the action screws in and out ( I'm a mechanic so I know how bolts should feel going in and out) there should not be need to force them in, took me almost an hour to get the action back in to the chassis and still not pleased with how it feels. After having may rifles of lesser quality id say the fit and bolt throw on my T1X is far better than this Vudoo, rant over. Just praying and hoping that it shoots way better than my first impression.

Last edited:
Sounds like a chassis issue as I popped my Vudoo in and out of different Manners stocks without issue. Takes me all of 2 minutes and I am not a mechanic. LOL

Contact Vudoo on Monday. If you can't function the bolt comfortably with one hand then sounds like something isn't right.

I think so far I'm in the minority, after getting mu Vudoo on Monday and finally having time to put the scope on it and playing with it yesterday, I think I would get the rifle a 4 out of 10. If I were to play with the gun before purchasing, I would not have bought. This is just my opinion but what I went through. I bought a full build in a Bravo chassis. After opening the box and taking the gun out there was a screw rolling inside the bag bouncing off the gun probably the whole time in transport, it was the rear tang screw. After looking over and not seeing much damage, pulled the bolt out and inserted into the action, gritty and lots of slop, pulled apart and cleaned. Not much better for gritty feel still sloppy till locked up, really couldn't cycle with one hand comfortably. Next I decided to pull the action from the chassis, I do this on all my guns when I first get them. Not 100% sure if it is a chassis problem or action problem but it is a bitch getting the action screws in and out ( I'm a mechanic so I know how bolts should feel going in and out) there should be need to force them in, took me almost an hour to get the action back in to the chassis and still not pleased with how it feels. After having may rifles of lesser quality id say the fit and bolt throw on my T1X is far better than this Vudoo, rant over. Just praying and hoping that it shoots way better than my first impression.
Whatever is wrong...call Vudoo and they will make it right.

There's at least one WTB on the post exchange rimfire section. Shouldn't have any trouble unloading it.

You didn't say whether you ordered the complete build w/Bravo chassis from VGW or another vendor. Would ask that you clarify.

I think so far I'm in the minority, after getting mu Vudoo on Monday and finally having time to put the scope on it and playing with it yesterday, I think I would get the rifle a 4 out of 10. If I were to play with the gun before purchasing, I would not have bought. This is just my opinion but what I went through. I bought a full build in a Bravo chassis. After opening the box and taking the gun out there was a screw rolling inside the bag bouncing off the gun probably the whole time in transport, it was the rear tang screw. After looking over and not seeing much damage, pulled the bolt out and inserted into the action, gritty and lots of slop, pulled apart and cleaned. Not much better for gritty feel still sloppy till locked up, really couldn't cycle with one hand comfortably. Next I decided to pull the action from the chassis, I do this on all my guns when I first get them. Not 100% sure if it is a chassis problem or action problem but it is a bitch getting the action screws in and out ( I'm a mechanic so I know how bolts should feel going in and out) there should not be need to force them in, took me almost an hour to get the action back in to the chassis and still not pleased with how it feels. After having may rifles of lesser quality id say the fit and bolt throw on my T1X is far better than this Vudoo, rant over. Just praying and hoping that it shoots way better than my first impression.

That is a bummer for sure! However I am 110% confident in agreeing with everyone else, call Vudoo tomorrow and I know you will walk away not only satisfied but impressed. Please keep us in the loop with the results if you don't mind.

Finally was able to get mine out and shoot

These are the first shots through it from left ammo to right. Mirage was terrible and I had limited time so I shot pretty quickly but I’m impressed. Accuracy was getting better the more I shot and became acquainted with the platform and trigger.

Still got some SK Long Range to test and then push distances on them.

.31” was smallest but all were around 1/2”.

in
21EA876A-5CAB-448F-A071-951C4A0EFA6C.jpeg
FB0D067B-236C-4A40-9825-3A6F8EDCA134.jpeg

Finally was able to get mine out and shoot

These are the first shots through it from left ammo to right. Mirage was terrible and I had limited time so I shot pretty quickly but I’m impressed. Accuracy was getting better the more I shot and became acquainted with the platform and trigger.

Still got some SK Long Range to test and then push distances on them.

.31” was smallest but all were around 1/2”.

inView attachment 7048503View attachment 7048504

Hi, What height rings are you using and is that a 20 or 30 moa rail.

bob

Well that's looks like you have quite a bit of elevation left. 200yds would mostly be the Max distance for me shooting. The 30 moa rail looks like the trick.

By the way like to see a pic of your rig.

Thanks
i-qFdHtjm-L.jpg

Reactions: rizzle
So...... if you find a Lot# of SK Rifle Match that shoots like this at 100yds in less than ideal conditions.....
20190325_153940.jpg

..... how much do you buy?

Reactions: D_TROS
SK has two types of rifle match ammo.

Rifle Match
Long Range Rifle Match

Which of these is the go to for 25 - 200yds?

I’m also interested in the new SK Long Range Rifle Match.

Does it perform better at longer distances like SK claims or is it on par with everything else that shoots good out of the Vudoo?

Does a Tubb trigger drop into vudoo? I know a lot of chassis need inletting, but making sure the trigger will fit a the action.

SK has two types of rifle match ammo.

Rifle Match
Long Range Rifle Match

Which of these is the go to for 25 - 200yds?
Rifle Match, as for 100-200yds it all depends on what your barrel likes.

The previous lot of Rifle Match I tested didn't shoot as good at 100 & 200yds as the lot of CCI SV I have.

I checked my current lot of SK Rifle Match today at 50yds, regretfully I left my Protektor rear bag at home and had to improvise which definitely effected my groups. Still, this "feels" like the best lot of ammo I've shot in the gun.

Bottom 4 and 2 top right groups, dot size is .477".
i-PNTqXjg-M.jpg

This is most of my testing collection less CCI SV and SK Pistol Match Special.
i-jzSF7Zg-M.jpg

Rimfire..... is a challenge, especially when you can't question the gun, only yourself, the ammunition, and weather. Finding a lot that shoots is reason for celebration. Hopefully I can find another case. :)

I bought five different lots of SK Long Range Match to test. Initial testing was prone off bipod & rear bag at 100yds, shooting my original V-22 w/Krieger bbl. There was a lot of mirage that morning right before lunch, and I wasn't at all impressed with the first four lots. But the last lot printed a 10-shot group that was only 1/2" tall, even though it was a bit over an inch wide. I went up to the house from the range, sat myself down, and bought a case of that good lot, then went into town for lunch.

Feeling a little foolish for basing the purchase of that much of a new grade of ammo on one group out of one rifle, I went right back out after lunch with both V-22s. I set up the chronograph, then took a full-size steel IPSC target out to 210yds, and shot further 10-shot groups with each lot, out of each rifle, off bipods 'n rear bag from my portable bench with both Krieger & Bartlein bbl'd V-22s. The same lot of LR Match that had shot so well before lunch again shot the best, out of both rifles. Chrono data showed an ES of 12 & SD of 3 for this lot, better by quite a margin than any of the other four lots of it. The 10-shot strings out of both V-22s with that lot were also impressive, neither one of which was over 2.5" at 210. I then quit worrying about ordering the case of that lot of LR Match....

I bought five different lots of SK Long Range Match to test. Initial testing was prone off bipod & rear bag at 100yds, shooting my original V-22 w/Krieger bbl. There was a lot of mirage that morning right before lunch, and I wasn't at all impressed with the first four lots. But the last lot printed a 10-shot group that was only 1/2" tall, even though it was a bit over an inch wide. I went up to the house from the range, sat myself down, and bought a case of that good lot, then went into town for lunch.

Feeling a little foolish for basing the purchase of that much of a new grade of ammo on one group out of one rifle, I went right back out after lunch with both V-22s. I set up the chronograph, then took a full-size steel IPSC target out to 210yds, and shot further 10-shot groups with each lot, out of each rifle, off bipods 'n rear bag from my portable bench with both Krieger & Bartlein bbl'd V-22s. The same lot of LR Match that had shot so well before lunch again shot the best, out of both rifles. Chrono data showed an ES of 12 & SD of 3 for this lot, better by quite a margin than any of the other four lots of it. The 10-shot strings out of both V-22s with that lot were also impressive, neither one of which was over 2.5" at 210. I then quit worrying about ordering the case of that lot of LR Match....
:ROFLMAO: Sounds familiar, I ordered a case this morning and then went to the range to verify Sunday's results. :whistle:

I am relatively new to precision rimfire. I would have thought ammo talk would have been all about Lots of Eley. But I see thanks not the case.

Fit and work perfect in my Vudoo and 40X repeaters.

I have the T7T in mine (one of the very best triggers I have ever shot!), I had to slightly chamfer the side plates of the trigger for it to properly fit in the cut out in the action. It only took a small amount. The other thing is how the trigger's safety operates it compresses the firing pin spring slightly, on mine it is fairly hard to operate. Other than that it is stellar. Oh and the rifle is in a Manners Mini-Chassis.

All this talk about ammo and lots got me thinking I should share my experience. I tested

Lapua centerx
Eley match (black box)
Eley (grey box with black shells)
Cci sv
Sk rifle match (three different lots)
Federal gold medal match (two lots)
A few others that don’t come to mind

Out of al the higher end stuff they all shot between .3-.6” at 50 yds. Accept cci sv and eley grey box. The eley match seemed to have more flyers than the center x and federal. Sk seemed solid across the board. After taking three that grouped the best in this order
Centerx
Federal gmm
Sk rm

I ran those across the chrono with 11 shots each. The federal had an sd of 5 and es of 11, which was by quite a ways better than the lapua and sk rm respectively. I was very suprized considering the fgmm was much cheaper. Costing only 5.71/box. I went to my local shop where I bought them and raided their shelves for that lot. I ended up with 2800 rounds of it and feel like this is sufficient for this season nrl/prs22 matches. Has anyone else seen this ammo perform this well? After some research it seems I got a crazy good deal on it. I’m considering trying some other lots of it and buying more if it performes.

I bought about 3k rounds of Federal Gold 22 ammunition. I sold it for next to nothing recently. It didn't work well in any rifle I had. I was surprised.

I put a 60 MOA rail on my V-22 w/22" Kukri bbl, Athlon Cronus in Seekins low rings. Was easily able to zero at 50yds with 2+ mils of down travel left. Still have not been able to get to my range to see how far out that will get me on internal elevation - will be able to try it soon - if we don't get rain again this weekend - which is in the forecast....

Is anyone switching out rails very often, say from between a 30 moa rail and 60 moa rail? I’m wondering if you use a unimount, like a Spuhr, if you can simply swap out the rails and still have your scope level when switching between the two? In other words is the “level” consistent between the 2 rails?

Is anyone switching out rails very often, say from between a 30 moa rail and 60 moa rail? I’m wondering if you use a unimount, like a Spuhr, if you can simply swap out the rails and still have your scope level when switching between the two? In other words is the “level” consistent between the 2 rails?
If you're planning to use spuhrs..i would just go with 40 moa rail you can always get that additional 20-40 moa from spuhr mounts

If you're planning to use spuhrs..i would just go with 40 moa rail you can always get that additional 20-40 moa from spuhr mounts

I thought about that, but 99% of my shooting will be in the 50-250 yard range. 30 moa base/mount lets me stay very near the optical center of a scope in that range, which is where I would prefer to be and I can still get out to 400 yards. A 60 moa base would let me get out past 500 on those few occasions where I might want to. 60 moa all the time puts me at the very edge of the travel limit.

I thought about that, but 99% of my shooting will be in the 50-250 yard range. 30 moa base/mount lets me stay very near the optical center of a scope in that range, which is where I would prefer to be and I can still get out to 400 yards. A 60 moa base would let me get out past 500 on those few occasions where I might want to. 60 moa all the time puts me at the very edge of the travel limit.
OR....since you're planning to use unimount anyway..why dont you get the ERA TAC unimount where you can adjust cant from 0-70 moa? Have you tried looking trough a scope with 60moa angle before? You adj cheek piece doesnt angle with your scope tube..it effect your eye relief a bit and finding perfect eyebox is totally diff from 20 moa to 60 moa

Reactions: reubenski
Hows the machining on the receiver and rail? Any need to bed the rail? Just curious trying to get my ducks in a row before mine gets delivered.

Sent the Ravage to Vudoo to tune the extraction on my early (#53) action. Within 24 hours of showing delivery, Jay was on the phone advising all tuning was complete. Service does not get any better than that.
Vudoo reminds me of Lexus when they started out and set the standard for great automotive service. I am happy, impressed and delighted to have made the purchase. Rifle shoots amazingly well too, and now extracts Eley.
I don't mean to sound like a groupie, but having dealt with Comcast how can you not appreciate Vudoo?

Hows the machining on the receiver and rail? Any need to bed the rail? Just curious trying to get my ducks in a row before mine gets delivered.
I've never heard of an issue.

I seriously doubt there's ever been or ever will be the need to bed a Vudoo scope rail on a Vudoo receiver. That's because they're both manufactured to very tight tolerances by the same company, in the same shop. Nothing like the tolerance stacking you might expect to see with run of the mill commercial hunting actions with scope rails supplied by any number of custom makers.

Reactions: GTOBOSS
Bolt is kinda grabby. Bolt handle and knob are gigantic.

A light lube on the bolt body with a touch of grease on the locking lugs will slick it right up. I am interested to hear how it shoots based on what you saw with the borescope.

Reactions: Moose
Thing's I've confirmed since shooting around 5K rounds through my Ace barreled V22:

• It's the easiest barrel to clean I've ever owned.
  • It's more accurate than the ammo.
  • It's much more competent than I.
  • It's my favorite rifle in 50 years of shooting.

Go shoot it!

I read a rumor that Vudoo was going to make a 5 rd magazine. I have no idea if this is correct, but the idea does appeal to me, since I’m saving up for a Raven, and a smaller mag might make a more visually-appealing package (to me). Smaller mag for hunting, and larger ones for range and plinking sounds good to me.

I read a rumor that Vudoo was going to make a 5 rd magazine. I have no idea if this is correct, but the idea does appeal to me, since I’m saving up for a Raven, and a smaller mag might make a more visually-appealing package (to me). Smaller mag for hunting, and larger ones for range and plinking sounds good to me.
Maybe Mike has an update on the small mags, I know I would be in for a couple.

Reactions: kytrapper