• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vudoo Gun Works V-22 Rimfire Bolt Action

I hear people saying that the SIII is too much magnification. I would think you could just dial down the mag when not needed, and dial it up when shooting paper. I have a PST G2, that I may re-purpose to my 223 Tx3 (don't have a dedicated scope for it yet) and get the SIII for my V22 since all I do is shoot for groups at 50 and 100 yrds.

I do like the Athlon scopes though, have not heard anything negative about them. I see Athelon as walking in the footsteps of Vortex. Putting out quality products and delivering stellar CS. I would not hesitate to get one. I got the PST G2 on a fire sale for around $750 a while back. Couldn't resist.
Hey E. If all you are doing is shooting paper at a few known distances, there is no reason not to go ahead and use an SIII on your Vudoo. I think the SFP High mag scopes are made for that. I actually prefer them for that.
You have to remember that this site is very FFP, tactical style match heavy, so the suggestions here are usually geared much more heavily in that direction. The on the fly maneuverability for the various distances, lends itself well to the FFP scopes often suggested here. I absolutely love my Athlon Cronus scopes, and they are my favorite, but I do like the SIII10-50 and other options when I am just shooting at paper at 50yds. It is what I have mounted on one right now.
All that being said, my best scores with my Vudoo on paper, for whatever reason, were actually with a Cronus, not my SIII10-50, SV10-50, Vortex GE15-60, or S&B12-50.

Hey E. If all you are doing is shooting paper at a few known distances, there is no reason not to go ahead and use an SIII on your Vudoo. I think the SFP High mag scopes are made for that. I actually prefer them for that.
You have to remember that this site is very FFP, tactical style match heavy, so the suggestions here are usually geared much more heavily in that direction. The on the fly maneuverability for the various distances, lends itself well to the FFP scopes often suggested here. I absolutely love my Athlon Cronus scopes, and they are my favorite, but I do like the SIII10-50 and other options when I am just shooting at paper at 50yds. It is what I have mounted on one right now.
All that being said, my best scores with my Vudoo on paper, for whatever reason, were actually with a Cronus, not my SIII10-50, SV10-50, Vortex GE15-60, or S&B12-50.

Cool. I have been wanting the SIII, but since I'm spending all this $ on the gun, I will have to wait to get the SIII.

Had a few minutes to fool with the Sinister between rain showers today. I'm figuring out how to get my set up more stable. With the rounded forearm it rolls a bit when firing. In the first four groups I was experimenting with a bipod off a plywood bench. It didn't work so well. After removing the two swivel studs I mounted a pic rail to install a F class bipod but I added a small shim of rubber between the rial and stock to prevent marring up the paint. Didn't work worth a hoot as you can see in the first four groups.

Anyhow, I managed to pull off my personal best 10 shot group of any rimfire. Now just to get better consistency in my set up!

View attachment 7075411

Scootch
Great groups...they do love centre x

Cool. I shoot at 50 mostly. But, I will stretch it to 100 at most. Center X good at 100 right?
That's what I find too. The centre x fell apart a little at 200 where r50 did really well in mine

@AirGunShawn
I have an Ares ETR MOA on my Vudoo and shoot 100/200 bench competition with it and 50yd for recreation. The ETR is very good for the price IMO. For 50/100yds it's great, at 200yds it lacks enough magnification to easily spot impacts on paper. I'm going to try one of the LOW manufactured Delta Stryker/Trijicon AccuPower 5-50x56 optics. I looked through a friends Delta Stryker with the DLS-3 reticle on his Vudoo yesterday at the range and was very impressed with 50x magnification at 200yds. The edge to edge clarity and color of the scope was the best I've seen.

The V22 action does a great job getting the bullet loaded into the chamber without damaging it at all and that shows in how the Vudoos shoot so many types of ammunition well at 50 yards. After that though the quality of the ammunition starts to take over. Having consistent ammunition shot to shot with lower ES/SD numbers start to really become relevant and show in your groups.

I see that in what happens out at 100 yards and beyond when I’m shooting. SK STD+ is good practice ammo at 75y and in but it starts to really fall apart after that. I practiced with it out to 100y last week and I went away without being able to get good information in terms of DOPE and how well I was shooting.

Today I practiced with the Center X I chose from my Lapua testing a few months ago and I left knowing how I and my rifle were shooting, I also got great DOPE information and was able to tweek my ballistic program to near dead on from 25y out to 200y. I’m shooting a match this weekend from 25 to 333 yards and the winds are forecasted to be 15 to 20mph. I’ll have my hands full trying to call wind so having confidence in my elevation DOPE is a big deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: RAVAGE88
cleaning question:

best method for maintenance chamber cleaning to stop carbon ring from forming in the first place

ive read, bronze brush, nylon brush, bottle brush patch with bore paste etc

any "agreed" upon techniques and solvents

i clean the barrel every 3-400 and after 100 or so i push through a few dry patches just to get the loose crap out

I use one of these immediately after shooting (while the barrel is still warm):

I'm lazy so I just bought a couple. But other (frugal) people make their own:

On a bolt action you can pull the bolt and just use a rod. But with this tool you can hit the buildup a bit faster and it works with semi-auto rifles too. And it's a small enough tool to easily carry to the range.

@AirGunShawn
I have an Ares ETR MOA on my Vudoo and shoot 100/200 bench competition with it and 50yd for recreation. The ETR is very good for the price IMO. For 50/100yds it's great, at 200yds it lacks enough magnification to easily spot impacts on paper. I'm going to try one of the LOW manufactured Delta Stryker/Trijicon AccuPower 5-50x56 optics. I looked through a friends Delta Stryker with the DLS-3 reticle on his Vudoo yesterday at the range and was very impressed with 50x magnification at 200yds. The edge to edge clarity and color of the scope was the best I've seen.
Sieg.... Did you look at the Cronus? Is it worth 1420.00

Sieg.... Did you look at the Cronus? Is it worth 1420.00
I have not looked through a Cronus, I understand it's made by LOW in Japan who also makes the Delta and Trijicon 4.5-30 and 5-50 scopes. I'd read that the latter two both have a slight edge in glass, after looking through the Delta I can believe it.

What it's come down to for me is magnification and fine adjustment. I thought decent glass at 30x on the Vudoo would be adequate for 100/200 bench shooting, but I only started shooting target shooting at the range just over a year ago and had never had a rifle as capable as the Vudoo.

I ordered a Trijicon 5-50x56 MRAD yesterday so in a few days I'll know firsthand how it compares to the Delta. It will be my first MRAD optic, the floating dot reticle being the main reason. With .05 mil turrets vs 1/8MOA, the fine adjustment difference appears to be +1/32 @50, +1/16 @100, and +1/8" @200...… fine enough. Hopefully the parallax adjustment is less sensitive in the 200yd range than the Delta which goes from 300 to infinity vs 800 to infinity scale of the Trijicon.

Buy a rimfire..…. it will be cheap fun they said. :ROFLMAO:

Also after using the Delta at 200yds, I returned my new Vortex Diamondback 20-60x80 spotting scope for service/replacement because in comparison it was worthless.

So the bore guide we buy from Vudoo is for rod diameter less than .187 or something. Since alot of .17 Cal rods have a 5/40 threads (that I have nothing for cause all of my stuff is at least 22 Cal), I was thinking about boring out the hole to accommodate a 22 cal rod. The smaller piece. Anybody seeing a problem with this?
PhotoPictureResizer_190522_193432293-1413x1036.jpg

So the bore guide we buy from Vudoo is for rod diameter less than .187 or something. Since alot of .17 Cal rods have a 5/40 threads (that I have nothing for cause all of my stuff is at least 22 Cal), I was thinking about boring out the hole to accommodate a 22 cal rod. The smaller piece. Anybody seeing a problem with this?

It's made to accommodate 20 cal rods, which are about that diameter. I would not do it. I would spend $30 and get dewey coated rod instead.

Reactions: JKW70 and SIlabs
View attachment 7082362
I like the idea though..

I don't own a .20 Cal rod but would I be wrong in assuming the .20 Cal would be to big to fit in the .187 guide hole?

It's made to accommodate 20 cal rods, which are about that diameter. I would not do it. I would spend $30 and get dewey coated rod instead.

Not just the rod but the brushes, jag, etc. . And do they even make a guide and jag in 22 cal with a 5/40 thread? Already have a ton of this stuff in 22 cal and a good 22 cal rod

Thanks for this. Are you using this with the Vudoo bore guide with a 20 cal Dewey rod?
Don't have a vudoo, using it with a custom made guide for a 20 cal. Pretty sure that your guide will work with a 20 cal.

Thanks for this. Are you using this with the Vudoo bore guide with a 20 cal Dewey rod?

I do. I have turned the OD of the adapter down some to allow it to clear the ejector easily in the V22 action and to allow more room in the bore. Just chuck it up in a drill and use sand paper to get the desired OD, super easy...

I do. I have turned the OD of the adapter down some to allow it to clear the ejector easily in the V22 action and to allow more room in the bore. Just chuck it up in a drill and use sand paper to get the desired OD, super easy...
what did you make your OD on the adapter?

The Dewey .20 caliber rod mikes approximately .1855 +/- so it should be fine with the Vudoo bore guide....recommended .187....I would just buy the Dewey rod and move on...

Reactions: Sieg
View attachment 7082362

I drilled and reamed it to .200 to clear my boretech rim fire rod (.195)
Works good

Reactions: 10ring1
I went with the 17 cal MontanaX rod, Dewy adapter, Dewy 22 cal vfg felt jag and 22 cal vfg felts. Someone had posted about the felts earlier in this thread and I thought they were a good idea.

Scootch

I drilled and reamed it to .200 to clear my boretech rim fire rod (.195)
Works good
Actually just did the same with a 7/32 drill bit that miked around .210. Works great with a Tipton 22 cal. Brushes fit through adapter but small patches a bit tight. Works like a charm...

Last edited:
Also, maybe a dumb question but this is my first rifle of this quality. I know nothing lasts forever but are you noticing finish wear on the nitrided bolt? I am seeing it after 500 rounds or so. Is that normal?

Also, maybe a dumb question but this is my first rifle of this quality. I know nothing lasts forever but are you noticing finish wear on the nitrided bolt? I am seeing it after 500 rounds or so. Is that normal?
That's normal wear, it actually runs smoother as some of that finish wears off.

Reactions: 10ring1
North of $2500 for the gun
$2000 for an optic to see bullet holes at 200 yards
10 bucks a box for ammo
$200 +++ trying different lots and brands of ammo
case
extra magazines
You left out travel expenses and research time. :ROFLMAO: (y)

Reactions: RS14
View attachment 7082362
The Bore Guide itself accepts 22cal rods. The adapter that plugs into the guide is for using a smaller rod.

MB

Reactions: 10ring1 and dwt
Shawn, The only comps I've been shooting with .22RF rifles are practical/tactical, fairly fast, timed stages, with various targets - paper & steel - at distances of from 50yds out past 300yds. It's just the type of comps that the V-22 really excels at, and I've been more than satisfied with the Cronus scopes on my 40XB & V-22 repeaters. Mentioning the pre-BTR Cronus & reticle is academic, since they're no longer made nor available, unless you purchase used. However, I still tend to think that the older, pre-BTR's heavy + aiming point is easier to keep track of while shooting movers, and only becomes a little bit of a liability when you're shooting groups with max magnification, and are wanting a very precise aiming point that won't partially obscure what you're aiming at. I don't actually care for the floating dot aiming point, especially in a ffp scope where it shrinks in size when you reduce magnification - as we do when shooting movers. For all intents & purposes, the floating dot disappears for me when I back down to 10x-12x for shooting movers, while the heavy BTR + aiming point is still quite visible/distinct.

I'd say that if you're looking to shoot in any sort of competition, you're going to find it somewhat difficult to pick one scope that's perfectly suited to widely different shooting disciplines. But at the same time, I don't believe being 'perfectly suited' is all that critical. Find a scope with the right combination of: 1. a reticle that you like 2. optical quality good enough to suit your vision 3. controls that are easy to use 4. a good workable zero-stop 5. last, but more important than any of the other 4 - a scope that's got accurate & repeatable tracking. None of the .22RF matches I'm aware of limit magnification of optical sights, so pick what you feel you need. If your local gun shop has a good selection of scopes, spend some time checking them out. If Athlon didn't exist, I might still be shooting a lot of Sightron's scopes. I used to have several of their SIII 6-24x50 scopes on tactical rifles, but 2nd focal plane scopes complicate things when you're using reticle hash marks for holding off for lead on movers, and even with very good glass & workable reticles, the SIIIs still didn't have zero stops, which can be a royal PITA if you don't have a system to help keep track of your elevation zero. I see they're coming out with a new SV 34mm scope that will have a zero stop - if I weren't heavily invested in Athlon scopes, I'd probably be wanting to try one of the new SVs. The single Vortex AMG I looked at in a gun shop last year impressed me with its optical quality & reticle - that might be another scope for you to look at. Thing is, with all the scopes available in today's market, it's hard to keep up with what's out there. I live in a very rural area, don't have many gun shops out here, and the ones we do have don't usually carry a full line of scopes so buyers can compare. It's often a lot easier to go to a club match and get to know shooters there who'll gladly let you look at & through their scopes.

Best of luck to you in your search for optics.
Dennis..... I found my V22.... Commerce City, CO, United States. they are estimating 5-29 to my dealer.

Next dumb question... Can I use the front of my bottom metal as a barricade stop? Will I do any harm pushing the front of the magwell into a barricade?

Next dumb question... Can I use the front of my bottom metal as a barricade stop? Will I do any harm pushing the front of the magwell into a barricade?
That will not harm anything. The problem is that if you miss the bottom metal, and start pushing on the magazine, then the magazine can shift slightly. Doubt it would do any harm. But I am of the theory that you don't want pressures on the magazine itself.

Shooter_X is right - put pressure on the front of the mag, and if your mag well in whichever DBM you're using is loose enough to let the mag shift back a bit, it'll probably cause you feeding issues. It's happened to me and to a friend, both of us shooting jelrod-converted 40X repeaters, and pushing up against a shooting bag with the mag caused no end of feed problems. I use PTG Stealth DBM on both of the V-22s I now have, and have yet to have an issue due to mag shifting, but it's something you want to check out before shooting a match. We drilled & tapped the backside of our V-22 mags, then put small allen-head cap screws in to prevent the mags from shifting to the rear.

Who sells an adapter to go from the 5 x 40 to 8 x 32? I bought the Montana X-Treme .177 rod, and some .177 brushes, but they really don't look like they would do anything. I either need .22 brushes with a 5 x 40 thread or a converter to 8 x 32. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, and have a safe and thoughtful Memorial Day weekend.

Who sells an adapter to go from the 5 x 40 to 8 x 32? I bought the Montana X-Treme .177 rod, and some .177 brushes, but they really don't look like they would do anything. I either need .22 brushes with a 5 x 40 thread or a converter to 8 x 32. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, and have a safe and thoughtful Memorial Day weekend.

Dewey. Midway sells it. I think its called the A17 adapter. https://deweyrods.com/product-category/parts-accessories/adapters/

Last edited:
Reactions: Cmkaco
Where are you guys buying your cetern x from? Wondering if there is anyone that sells it less that midway (0.25 per round).

Where are you guys buying your cetern x from? Wondering if there is anyone that sells it less that midway (0.25 per round).

These are great people too (Good Shooting inc & Champion's Choice):

I never buy anything from Midway, they hammer you on shipping. Plus Larry Potterfield gives me the creeps...

These are great people too (Good Shooting inc & Champion's Choice):

I never buy anything from Midway, they hammer you on shipping. Plus Larry Potterfield gives me the creeps...

Good old Larry. He has build quite the nice business.

Good Shooting has the best prices I've been able to find. Plus they've always shipped my order the same day as I ordered it.

Had a few minutes to fool with the Sinister between rain showers today. I'm figuring out how to get my set up more stable. With the rounded forearm it rolls a bit when firing. In the first four groups I was experimenting with a bipod off a plywood bench. It didn't work so well. After removing the two swivel studs I mounted a pic rail to install a F class bipod but I added a small shim of rubber between the rial and stock to prevent marring up the paint. Didn't work worth a hoot as you can see in the first four groups.

Anyhow, I managed to pull off my personal best 10 shot group of any rimfire. Now just to get better consistency in my set up!

View attachment 7075411

Scootch
Wellllllllllllllllllll
The first shot is a funny thing with a rimfire. There are lots of things that can cause the anomaly.
One of the very first things that can cause it, is a Piece of shit, button rifled barrel. Any of them.
Out of 100 button rifled barrels, about 3/4's will see the problem. Out of 100 Chrome Moly button rifled barrels, about 90% will exhibit the trait. Hammer forged barrels? Almost every factory CZ rimfire has a cold bore flier problem. Same with the famed NS522 that shoots lights out, after a few shots.

Anyway..............

The Vudoo v22 makes any Anschutz manufactured from 1940, until 2019...............look like a child's toy.
I have owned and own a small truck load of Anschutz rifles. The more you wear that gun, the more you will like it. Learn to make it an extension. Your trigger is too heavy for what you're trying to do. i say this as a friend.

You know how critical I can be.
Your best groupings are going to come at 4 ounces and under. You will always be accuracy limited to a good string of consistent ,,,Eley Match. Eley match is gonna slam up into that chamber like you wedged it in with a shoe horn. Has 0 head space issues. The bolt will cam down easily. The v22 , by my measurements is .042- .043. on a go no go.

I was hard on them people.

Call me. I seriously doubt that this gun has a CB problem. If it does, I bet I can fix it with one phone call.
My boy Scootch.
Yous a good guy.

T.S.

I did buy a couple more boxes of Lapua Center-X from Midway, when I ordered that threaded converter. Shouldn't have, because it was 2 bucks a box cheaper from Good Shooting. So I bought some more. Can never have too much! My foundation may crack from the weight.

How do you guys like the AIAT chassis?

I hate that it doesn't have a thumb shelf and the aftermarket one will not work with that chassis.

I have always felt very comfortable with the AI platforms. I have had 1 AIAT chassis, 1 AIAT rifle, 2 AIAW's and many many barrels between them, so that is to say I have some time behind them. I prefer the AW style skins (thumb hole) a bit more than the AX or AT (pistol grip).