• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vudoo Gun Works V-22 Rimfire Bolt Action

Having an issue with accuracy and my vudoo all the sudden. I have been shooting to 260 regularly and was able to consistently hit a 5” plate. I was out of ammo from previous center x lot and had just been shooting CCI and SK match still able to hit the 5” plate with it. I have 5 lots of CX to try and when I first got my vudoo I was able to shoot in the .2’s at 50 yards pretty consistently, Now I’m struggling to get .4 at 50 and something really happened at 260, I cannot even hit a 18” plate. I took the suppressor off and shot it without, no change, I changed back and tried SK and CCI. Still throwing rounds all over. Only thing I had changed was I cleaned the bore with hoppes #9, two wet patches, then a nylon brush wet about 15 strokes. Used vudoo bore guide, cleaned with dry patches. I have cleaned it this way about 5 times prior and it was just fine. I checked my scope and all is tight with it. Any ideas what could be the issue, seems very strange that at 50 I am at least still in the .4-.5 range but at 260 it’s like 3-4’ now.
I had a similar accuracy problem with my V-22 that I've fortunately corrected. Before I get into the details I want to set the stage.

There's two schools of thought about rimfire barrels, the first is that they don't need cleaning very often or not at all, the second is to shoot their best they need to be as clean as the you can get them. The positional, PRS style shooters, as a general rule fall into the first group, the rimfire benchrest competitors into the second.

I began shooting my V-22 with very little regard to cleaning the barrel ... after about a year of modest maintenance, much like you described, accuracy fell off dramatically. I'd estimate I had four or five thousand rounds down the barrel when accuracy dropped off. I talked to Paul at VGW and considered sending the rifle back to the factory but before I went to that extreme I convinced myself that the drop off was in the barrel and I needed to remove the dreaded "carbon ring". At that point I hadn't added a bore scope to my kit bag.

Here's what I did to solve my problem ... a thorough scrubbing with J-B Clean concentrating on the chamber but treating the entire barrel. Before I used the J-B Clean I used my standard protocol - a soaked Bore Tech Rimfire Blend patch to wet the barrel followed by a brass brush cycled several (5 to 7) times back and forth through the barrel and then wet patches until they come out clean.

Then I used the J-B Clean and followed again with my standard protocol ... I was amazed how dirty the patches were that came out of the barrel. I repeated the standard cleaning once more to make sure I removed any residual J-B Clean and off to the range I went.

My range-day results were far better than I'd seen over the previous three months and I was encouraged that I'd identified the problem and had a solution that would work. By the way, my V-22 wasn't nearly as fun to shoot when the accuracy disappeared - ain't that the reason we buy these rifles anyway?

A couple more thoughts - there's several similar cleaners you can substitute for J-B Clean. Bore Tech makes C4 Carbon Remover and Birchwood Casey makes a Lead Remover and Polishing Cloth. Both are available through Amazon. A fellow Vudoo owner uses the Bore Tech product with great results and it may very well become part of my standard cleaning protocol.

My second thought is that you might consider adding a bore scope to your cleaning protocol. I bought one from Teslong that works very well on rimfire barrels. I scope the bore prior to and after each cleaning to ensure that I've returned the barrel to pristine condition. You just can't see what's going on in your barrel without a scope.

Like I said at the beginning of this post there's two schools of thought on barrel cleaning ... obviously I'm in the benhrest shooter's camp. My shooting is at three yardages, 50, 100 and 200. I participate in monthly competitions at these distances and keep records of my target scores, round count and barrel cleaning. The data I've accumulated has convinced me that a clean barrel is a happy barrel. Sure, you'll have to shoot a few rounds (for me about three) to settle the barrel but then you're back in business with the Vudoo accuracy that always puts a smile on your face.

Hope this helps you and others with similar experiences.

I had a similar accuracy problem with my V-22 that I've fortunately corrected. Before I get into the details I want to set the stage.

There's two schools of thought about rimfire barrels, the first is that they don't need cleaning very often or not at all, the second is to shoot their best they need to be as clean as the you can get them. The positional, PRS style shooters, as a general rule fall into the first group, the rimfire benchrest competitors into the second.

I began shooting my V-22 with very little regard to cleaning the barrel ... after about a year of modest maintenance, much like you described, accuracy fell off dramatically. I'd estimate I had four or five thousand rounds down the barrel when accuracy dropped off. I talked to Paul at VGW and considered sending the rifle back to the factory but before I went to that extreme I convinced myself that the drop off was in the barrel and I needed to remove the dreaded "carbon ring". At that point I hadn't added a bore scope to my kit bag.

Here's what I did to solve my problem ... a thorough scrubbing with J-B Clean concentrating on the chamber but treating the entire barrel. Before I used the J-B Clean I used my standard protocol - a soaked Bore Tech Rimfire Blend patch to wet the barrel followed by a brass brush cycled several (5 to 7) times back and forth through the barrel and then wet patches until they come out clean.

Then I used the J-B Clean and followed again with my standard protocol ... I was amazed how dirty the patches were that came out of the barrel. I repeated the standard cleaning once more to make sure I removed any residual J-B Clean and off to the range I went.

My range-day results were far better than I'd seen over the previous three months and I was encouraged that I'd identified the problem and had a solution that would work. By the way, my V-22 wasn't nearly as fun to shoot when the accuracy disappeared - ain't that the reason we buy these rifles anyway?

A couple more thoughts - there's several similar cleaners you can substitute for J-B Clean. Bore Tech makes C4 Carbon Remover and Birchwood Casey makes a Lead Remover and Polishing Cloth. Both are available through Amazon. A fellow Vudoo owner uses the Bore Tech product with great results and it may very well become part of my standard cleaning protocol.

My second thought is that you might consider adding a bore scope to your cleaning protocol. I bought one from Teslong that works very well on rimfire barrels. I scope the bore prior to and after each cleaning to ensure that I've returned the barrel to pristine condition. You just can't see what's going on in your barrel without a scope.

Like I said at the beginning of this post there's two schools of thought on barrel cleaning ... obviously I'm in the benhrest shooter's camp. My shooting is at three yardages, 50, 100 and 200. I participate in monthly competitions at these distances and keep records of my target scores, round count and barrel cleaning. The data I've accumulated has convinced me that a clean barrel is a happy barrel. Sure, you'll have to shoot a few rounds (for me about three) to settle the barrel but then you're back in business with the Vudoo accuracy that always puts a smile on your face.

Hope this helps you and others with similar experiences.

Thank you Ozarkshooter, I think you are absolutely right I must have developed a carbon ring. I just ordered some more cleaning supplies from midway and I’ll give that a go. Appreciate the detailed response. I have probably 3500 rounds or so on it now and have never really “scrubbed” the barrel good.

I convinced myself that the drop off was in the barrel and I needed to remove the dreaded "carbon ring". At that point I hadn't added a bore scope to my kit bag.

I've read the carbon ring only effects the cold bore shot. Once the barrel is warmed up the carbon ring flyers go away. As I said, it's what I read in one of long threads over on RFC, who knows if anyone really understands it. I think cleaning can't hurt, so I go with your train of thought and do a light cleaning every 200-300rounds, and a detailed scrubbing every 1000 rounds. My Vudoo only seems to take about 5 shots max. to re-lube the barrel, sometimes it's shooting good from the 1st shot after cleaning.

Reactions: 22fun and JCHayes
Thank you Ozarkshooter, I think you are absolutely right I must have developed a carbon ring. I just ordered some more cleaning supplies from midway and I’ll give that a go. Appreciate the detailed response. I have probably 3500 rounds or so on it now and have never really “scrubbed” the barrel good.

One other thing I neglected to include was an emphasis on the brush ... I've used both nylon and brass/bronze and I favor the brass brushes. The nylon don't seem to be aggressive enough for the job you need to do. I can't say enough about the value of a bore scope ... $50 on Amazon!!!

I've read the carbon ring only effects the cold bore shot. Once the barrel is warmed up the carbon ring flyers go away. As I said, it's what I read in one of long threads over on RFC, who knows if anyone really understands it. I think cleaning can't hurt, so I go with your train of thought and do a light cleaning every 200-300rounds, and a detailed scrubbing every 1000 rounds. My Vudoo only seems to take about 5 shots max. to re-lube the barrel, sometimes it's shooting good from the 1st shot after cleaning.
You'd think I owned stock in bore scope companies ... I don't but I'm really an advocate of peeking into the barrel. You'd be surprised what a message you'll find even after a couple hundred rounds ... the before and afters are very convincing.

One other thing I neglected to include was an emphasis on the brush ... I've used both nylon and brass/bronze and I favor the brass brushes. The nylon don't seem to be aggressive enough for the job you need to do. I can't say enough about the value of a bore scope ... $50 on Amazon!!!

Ordered both. Bore scope and brass brushes. Along with rim fire bore cleaner. Thanks again

I clean my 22s with VFG pellets and Shooters Choice mixed 50-50 with Kroil. Maybe an occasional pellet with JB bore paste.

I clean often so I dont have to resort to things like brushes. When I started cleaning more often, the random flyers went away and accuracy was much more consistent. Yes, it takes 10-15 shots for the barrel to settle down after cleaning which isnt a big deal in my world.

I tried CLR a few times. I left it in for a few minutes and it knocked out all the carbon for sure. In the end, I decided that something as harsh as CLR isnt really needed. Targets and scores proved that.

I have never understood the chest thumping of "I havent cleaned my 22 in thousands of rounds. It isnt needed." If cleaning often was a bad thing, do you really think benchrest and olympic level shooters would bother with it? Isnt high levels of accuracy their game? Eventually accuracy will drop off. Why wait?

I have spent a lot of hard earned money and time ensuring my equipment works. If a bullet does not go where I wanted it to, I want to know it was me that screwed up and not my equipment.

so Teslong has quite a few models.. I assume you went with a model that has a 5.5mm 6 led camera? there are a few choices... what screen size did you go with 4.3"? I see a nice Teslong on ebay at $70...

Some 50 yard, 5 shot groups with my skunkworks .22 tonight...
IMG_20200527_183835151_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200527_190101151.jpg

IMG_20200527_190056624.jpg

IMG_20200527_190052019.jpg

First time out since I dropped my ranch profile into the ag composite stock. Im really loving this rifle.. the gun will flat shoot, no doubt.

Like any sporter, inconsistencies in form are magnified greatly. Here’s a few groups from today with sk rifle match and pistol match.
I quit early because of the wind and for some reason I just couldn’t get comfortable.
3180699D-4187-430C-9C74-95493482F278.jpeg
26C8831F-3E94-4EF6-8420-D891F68F3B84.jpeg

You sound like you're disappointed in those groups. I don't see anything wrong with them. Typical rimfire shooting, I'd be happy with those results.

Well my vudoo is finally completed! 6 or 7 or 8.... chassis’s later and I finally ended up with an AX w/ a 13” forend thanks to an awesome fellow hide member. Last piece that might get sold and upgraded is the scope but that can wait another day, I’m beyond thrilled with the look and feel of my V-22.
3061153F-B887-4D74-984A-F90E446F05D0.jpeg

Any negatives in using a 60MOA rail if most of my shooting will be at 200 yards or less? The scope will have enough adjustment to to still zero at 25 yards and I want to be able to dial out as far as possible occasionally. I’ve just never had that much slope in a rail and it looks kinda weird in pictures.

I mostly shoot 50 and 100 yds. I zero'd at 50 yds. with a 30 MOA rail and have some room to adjust down to 25 yds. if I ever need to. I could have gotten by with the zero or 20 MOA rail.

Any negatives in using a 60MOA rail if most of my shooting will be at 200 yards or less? The scope will have enough adjustment to to still zero at 25 yards and I want to be able to dial out as far as possible occasionally. I’ve just never had that much slope in a rail and it looks kinda weird in pictures.
I have a 60MOA rail on my Vudoo. It works just fine. Zero at 25 yds and the ability to reach out and touch Rimfire ELR distances. I like having options on board!

I have a 60MOA rail on my Vudoo. It works just fine. Zero at 25 yds and the ability to reach out and touch Rimfire ELR distances. I like having options on board!
What height rings? Seems like a long scope would be close to hitting the barrel at that angle. Maybe I’m just over thinking it. You got a picture of your set up?

Depending on the scope, you may lose some optical attributes running that close to the edge of the adjustment range at closer distances.
Scopes are optically optimized at the center of their adjustment ranges.
A 20-30 MOA base should work fine for your application, and you can always hold over for extra long shots.
On most higher quality scopes a 30 MOA base will still let you dial 350 to 400+ yards.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rimfireshooter99
Ha! Can't wait for mine to be that old. They're both RH, and I'm LH, so at least they won't need MINE 😆
Check this out, no affiliation, just find the ad to be hilarious, and the Vudoo is a beauty:

Got a V-22 for my son (11) and I to share.... that’s not working out so well, I am now in the market for another so I can get to shoot the damn thing.... 😄
That is a problem easily solved. Get what you want.

Reactions: Gjmen22
I’m still sitting here waiting for what the “next” A.I. chassis is going to be, was told the AX was discontinued :(

Hi, appreciate any info. I know Vudoo is coming out with a new bore guide, but it's still unavailable. I saw in a previous post MB said he's using a proof positive .20 cal rod and .22 cal jag. Does anyone know if any of the current Boretech bore guides work in the V22? Obviously I'd rather have the new one from Vudoo but I may need one before its available. Finally got my new V22 set up in a MDT ESS chassis and setting up a shooting range on our property in a week or two, so I plan on shooting a lot. Thanks for any help.

I’m still sitting here waiting for what the “next” A.I. chassis is going to be, was told the AX was discontinued :(
The AXSR chassis is next up. However if you look in the PX there’s a black AX chassis with a 13” forend for sale.

$150 stated as new trigger price. I was thinking the action was designed for the Favio from Italy with its 90 degree sear surface. Can't be $150 can it?

Last edited:
Guys, does anyone run a Cadex Strike Nuke Evo chassis on their Vudoo?

Hi, appreciate any info. I know Vudoo is coming out with a new bore guide, but it's still unavailable. I saw in a previous post MB said he's using a proof positive .20 cal rod and .22 cal jag. Does anyone know if any of the current Boretech bore guides work in the V22? Obviously I'd rather have the new one from Vudoo but I may need one before its available. Finally got my new V22 set up in a MDT ESS chassis and setting up a shooting range on our property in a week or two, so I plan on shooting a lot. Thanks for any help.

I have the original Vudoo bore guide and I'm using a Bore Tech .22 cal bore stick and their .22 rimfire jag.

I have to remove the 'adapter' from the Vudoo bore guide as the .22 bore stick won't fit through it. I believe the 'adapter' is for the .17HM2 version. In another post by MB he stated he was using a .20 cal Bore Tech bore stick and a .22 jag. This rod does fit through the adapter but the .22 RF jag's threads are not the same as the female threads on the .20 cal bore stick and the .22 RF jag also won't fit through the adapter. I'm ASSuming MB meant he was using both the .20 cal bore stick and a smaller jag than the .22 RF mentioned. I only know all this because I used his post to place my order with Bore Tech. I found out all this when I went to clean my Vudoo and the .22 RF jag would not thread onto the .20 cal bore stick. A quick call to Bore Tech got me straightened out and was able to clean my rifle a week later. The Bore Tech rep also mentioned they were building the new bore guide for Vudoo and it would be made out of Delron(sp?) instead of aluminum. Perfect happy w/ my OG Vudoo bore guide but will likely try the Bore Tech one when it's released.

Here's a couple bore scope videos of before and after. :geek:

Before. Just shy of 2000 rounds:

After:

And a couple gratuitous five round groups I got when seasoning the barrel after cleaning. Cherry picked of course. ;)
Ballistic-X-Export-2020-05-29 11:42:11.899906.png

Ballistic-X-Export-2020-05-29 11:38:15.149566.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Jory45acp
I have the original Vudoo bore guide and I'm using a Bore Tech .22 cal bore stick and their .22 rimfire jag.

I have to remove the 'adapter' from the Vudoo bore guide as the .22 bore stick won't fit through it. I believe the 'adapter' is for the .17HM2 version. In another post by MB he stated he was using a .20 cal Bore Tech bore stick and a .22 jag. This rod does fit through the adapter but the .22 RF jag's threads are not the same as the female threads on the .20 cal bore stick and the .22 RF jag also won't fit through the adapter. I'm ASSuming MB meant he was using both the .20 cal bore stick and a smaller jag than the .22 RF mentioned. I only know all this because I used his post to place my order with Bore Tech. I found out all this when I went to clean my Vudoo and the .22 RF jag would not thread onto the .20 cal bore stick. A quick call to Bore Tech got me straightened out and was able to clean my rifle a week later. The Bore Tech rep also mentioned they were building the new bore guide for Vudoo and it would be made out of Delron(sp?) instead of aluminum. Perfect happy w/ my OG Vudoo bore guide but will likely try the Bore Tech one when it's released.

Here's a couple bore scope videos of before and after. :geek:

Before:

After:

And a couple gratuitous five round groups I got when seasoning the barrel after cleaning. Cherry picked of course. ;)
View attachment 7340975

View attachment 7340976

Thanks for info! I'm not sure what to do if I need to clean it before the new bore guide is available as the old one is not an option anymore.

Thanks for info! I'm not sure what to do if I need to clean it before the new bore guide is available as the old one is not an option anymore.

You don't 'need' a bore guide, but it sure helps and you can be a little more hap hazard with your technique as the guide does the precision work.

On the Vudoo video "how to clean your Vudoo", he's not using a bore guide.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bob huth
Also, I used both the Bore Tech Rimfire cleaner then the Eliminator just in case there was some copper fouling as I thought I saw some "copper" during the initial bore scope and I had the everything already set up. I'm new to bore scopes and precision rifle cleaning so I'm not sure what I'm seeing. ;)

My patches were very clean when finished though and the after video seems to show I was able to remove most everything.

Reactions: CBeck
I clean my 22s with VFG pellets and Shooters Choice mixed 50-50 with Kroil. Maybe an occasional pellet with JB bore paste.

I clean often so I dont have to resort to things like brushes. When I started cleaning more often, the random flyers went away and accuracy was much more consistent. Yes, it takes 10-15 shots for the barrel to settle down after cleaning which isnt a big deal in my world.

I tried CLR a few times. I left it in for a few minutes and it knocked out all the carbon for sure. In the end, I decided that something as harsh as CLR isnt really needed. Targets and scores proved that.

I have never understood the chest thumping of "I havent cleaned my 22 in thousands of rounds. It isnt needed." If cleaning often was a bad thing, do you really think benchrest and olympic level shooters would bother with it? Isnt high levels of accuracy their game? Eventually accuracy will drop off. Why wait?

I have spent a lot of hard earned money and time ensuring my equipment works. If a bullet does not go where I wanted it to, I want to know it was me that screwed up and not my equipment.
Finally, the answer. VFG pellets. Work beautifully with mild abrasive of choice to address the LEAD Ring.

I still haven't cleaned my Vudoo. About 1000 rounds through. What are the intervals people are doing?
If still shooting well, it would be interesting to borescope the chamber/leade and take careful note of the lead ring, if any, for reference.