• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vudoo lot testing results with lapua,sk,rws ammo

Cz455guru

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 13, 2017
Is there anybody that has the results of sending your vudoo off to a test center from these manufacturers. I would love to analyze them if possible. I have a vudoo I need to test and everybody says to go with lapua but from my experience rws special match and r50 seems to have lower es and sds, this could be coincidence but so far has been consistent from my rifles. I'm trying to decide the route I wanna take.

We’ve seen with some Olympic level shooters RWS R50 has performed better for them than Lapua or Eley.
From testing RWS this morning we are down to about 8-12 lots with good quantity and 4-6 with less than 1.5 cases. Currently the Special Match is set to be delivered in late Sept/early Oct

Shooters say to go with Lapua in a Vudoo because the chamber is supposed to be designed in a way that is preferential to Lapua ammo dimensions.

With regard to what ammo will perform well in your rifle, the performance of all makes of ammo will vary by lot. It's not possible to say buy brand "X" match ammo and you're done. One lot of Lapua may perform very well, another less well. The same is true for RWS and Eley.

At the same time, it's not possible to say that one make of quality match ammo has consistently better ES or SD. These will vary by lot. They can also vary by barrel because not all barrels/bores are the same because of factors such as the characteristics of the steel, barrel length, bore diameter consistency, condition and consistency of rifling, and chamber characteristics.

My rifle absolutely hammers with a particular lot of Lapua Center X, but I've had two or three lots of SK Standard Plus that shoot mighty fine.

I fired 20 rounds of Center X and had an SD of around 8, which I thought was pretty decent.

I haven't done the same test for the Standard Plus.

I use the Center X for matches and the SK for practice.

So far, my Anschutz 1761 loves a certain Center-X lot but also hasn't met a lot of RWS Rifle Target that does a bad job. I'm shooting the Center-X tomorrow at a BR match in Arlington but the RWS is not the system limiter that I am right now.

A couple of reasons why people send their rifle for testing:

1.) It's cheaper than buying 1 box of 6 or 8 different brands/lots/etc.

2.) It takes out the human factor, because they'll mount your BA into a fixture.

3.) Once the best lot has been found (if Lapua/SK brand), you may buy, in larger quantities than your LGS may be willing to sell you, direct from Lapua.

A couple of reasons why people send their rifle for testing:

1.) It's cheaper than buying 1 box of 6 or 8 different brands/lots/etc.

2.) It takes out the human factor, because they'll mount your BA into a fixture.

3.) Once the best lot has been found (if Lapua/SK brand), you may buy, in larger quantities than your LGS may be willing to sell you, direct from Lapua.
And it is - generally - a repeatable process. I say generally only because they don't have fixtures for every action (Anschutz 1761 for example). The price of admission for the process and the knowledge I gained made the trip / expense well worth it to me.

Reactions: A&8's
Not directly. Your lot choice through one of their retailers of your choice. Shooter's Choice seems to be popular to use.

I have some SK Rifle Match and Center-X from bad lots. I just can't get consistent results with these. Thankfully, their almost gone.

When I tested in Ohio a few months ago I ordered through Good Shooting, but it shipped directly from Capstone’s warehouse.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
I think Lapua found a really good marketing plan that is good for Lapua, the shooter, and the retailer. It appears they've been busy testing and selling ammo according to this thread and other's I've talked to at matches.

What's the turn around time from sending to receiving your rifle back? I keep putting off sending mine in.

I think Lapua found a really good marketing plan that is good for Lapua, the shooter, and the retailer. It appears they've been busy testing and selling ammo according to this thread and other's I've talked to at matches.

What's the turn around time from sending to receiving your rifle back? I keep putting off sending mine in.
My rifle was only there for a week but shipping across the country and back makes it feel like forever lol. I never sent my first Vudoo off because I didn’t want to be without it but I should have.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
Perhaps Lapua's testing facilities are more a response to demand rather than a clever marketing plan. The desire of shooters to lot test ammo in the most ideal conditions is compelling.

I know you can go to or send to either Lapua or Eley in the USA for testing but is there a place to test RWS in the USA? I was not aware of one. I do know a shooter in SoCal who was getting amazing results from RWS Special Match last year from his CZ452. but, he was having difficulty getting more ammo this year.

I know you can go to or send to either Lapua or Eley in the USA for testing but is there a place to test RWS in the USA? I was not aware of one. I do know a shooter in SoCal who was getting amazing results from RWS Special Match last year from his CZ452. but, he was having difficulty getting more ammo this year.
Anschutz North America/GSI imports RWS so we test their ammo at our facility similar to Lapua and Eley

Reactions: DIBBS
While I'm sure it'd probably increase the workload at the Lapua test centers, I do wish they could test lots of SK right along side the Lapua ammo. I've found very good lots of SK Std+ & Rifle Match in the past, but it took a lot of buying lot samples and testing here at home to find them - and there have been several instances when I ordered in lot samples, but then wasn't able to get the combination of good shooting conditions and the time to test in a timely fashion. It's a PITA to finally find an excellent lot of Center-X, Rifle Match, or Std+, then finding it's sold out by the time it works out for me to shoot & find that lot. And that was back when it was easy to find a good number of lot numbers to test at Good Shooting, Grafs, or Champions Choice - this hasn't been possible for the past year or more.

Perhaps Lapua's testing facilities are more a response to demand rather than a clever marketing plan. The desire of shooters to lot test ammo in the most ideal conditions is compelling.
I believe it was more happenstance than a plan. But finding that people will purchase 5,000-10,000 rounds at one time based on sample testing in their gun may lead to more types of sample testing for other calibers.

Lapua or other ammo manufactures offers lot testing in your rifle and in turn will drop ship ammo to you using a retailer as the seller. Everyone wins and you, the ammo manufacturer, have increased the amount of ammo per customer per sale. The retailer never has to pay for or store the ammo and the customer is locked into your ammo and is happy. Ammo is a consumable. Generally the more you have on hand, the more you'll shoot. Which in theory will increase the total amount of ammo the manufacturers, Lapua in this case, will manufacture and sell. I'd love to send in my 6.5 CM to Hornady, or any other ammo supplier, and find a lot number that shoots very well in my rifle. I do NOT like reloading. And this would solve most of my issues shooting factory ammo. Just a thought.

Reactions: CBeck