• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vudoo rifle vs barreled action

wind gypsy

Shoots Dinks
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2014
Minnesota
I'm interested in buying a vudoo and using a bravo chassis. There is a pretty long wait from Vudoo right now but barreled actions seem more readily available.

I really don't want to dick around with magazine catches or trigger timing or any of that so I see possible value in buying the whole setup from vudoo. My question is what is the likelihood of buying a barreled action, trigger, bravo separate and having everything bolt together and function without having to dick with it? Is it a fair assumption that if the whole rifle was purchased from vudoo it should run flawlessly from the start?

FWIW, I ran my vudoo in two separate bravo chassis’s and installed the triggers by myself with a plastic mallet and drift. Super easy. And I never had any issues with the bravo feeding rounds.

As far as trigger timing, I wouldn’t worry about that being an issue. In the entire Vudoo thread, I’ve never seen it mentioned.

Reactions: wind gypsy
^^^ this. The barreled actions are plug and play.
I think Altus had a bunch last I checked, no lefties though 😕

Picked up mine from altus, haven't had any issues aside from me not knowing how to load the magazine properly.

Buy a quality chassis and you should have no issues.

If you do have issues, chances are someone else has had the same issue and can point your in the right direction. Worst case, VGW is extremely helpful and will do everything they can to help you out.

I just bought a BA a couple of weeks ago from Special Purpose Rifles in Utah. Had it in a couple of days, got a TT Diamond from Altus, A Bravo from KRG and a Athlon Cronus Package from Doug at Cameraland. Put it together easily and shot my first match with it yesterday. All 4 of my magazines worked flawlessly during site in and match conditions. I didn't time the trigger....just turned it down to 12 oz. First time I put in a trigger. All really easy. Once I finally decided to get a Vudoo I didn't want to wait 6-8 weeks. Start to finish from ordering stuff to shooting was about 7-10 days. I don't even know how to time a trigger!

I'm interested in buying a vudoo and using a bravo chassis. There is a pretty long wait from Vudoo right now but barreled actions seem more readily available.

I really don't want to dick around with magazine catches or trigger timing or any of that so I see possible value in buying the whole setup from vudoo. My question is what is the likelihood of buying a barreled action, trigger, bravo separate and having everything bolt together and function without having to dick with it? Is it a fair assumption that if the whole rifle was purchased from vudoo it should run flawlessly from the start?
You dont need to worry about trigger timing their work like all top makers is so precision it is extremely close you would proably do more damage then good. Your proably not planning on shooting groups under .100 every day then you might have to tune it. Sometimes it can get tricky with spring compression ,striker play ,clearance and so on. These companies work hand in hand with other component makers for this very reason to keep everything in sink.

My setup is a Vudoo barred action in a Grayboe stock, Badger bottom metal, and a Timney Calvin Elite. Never had an issue.

I went barrelled action when I put mine together (on MPA BA Comp with TriggerTech Diamond). Technically, I was able to do it slightly cheaper than buying a complete rifle from Vudoo because I gamed coupons from vendors and what not for the chassis and trigger, which is why I went barrelled action and sourced the rest myself.

Have had my barreled action over 3.5 years now and have had a few triggers in it and have dropped it in at least 4 Manners stocks with mini chassis and it just runs.

Trigger timing is where triggers like the BnA Tacsport trigger shine. This trigger allows the end user to time the trigger to their specific rifle using set screw engagements along with replaceable top sear heights. Trigger timing is a pretty underrated feature in our respective disciplines, and can have a huge impact on how an action functions and feels.

More then likely you can slap a trigger in a Vudoo and it will work. But there's a difference between something that just works versus something that is optimal.

That's exactly what I did. I'd still like to know how to time a trigger

I bought just the barreled action and threw it in an mpa comp, manners prs1 ans then bravo with zero feeding issues. They are as easy as easy gets! The trigger timing I would t worry about either. Never seen it mentioned

That's exactly what I did. I'd still like to know how to time a trigger
You are going to have to talk to a knowledgeable gunsmith. I've never seen any good tutorial online. You'd have to start with a very good understanding of how the trigger and sear work.

edit: here is a video that explains some of the issues. It is about the BAT actions although the concepts apply to any Remington 700 pattern. Again, this is just for conceptual education, it's not something I would try to DIY as you are very likely to end up damaging the gun.

Last edited:
Relax Rob I'm not going to adjust the trigger, just trying to understand the concept.

Hey just trying to save you some headaches but it’s your money.

Thanks Rob! There is no way I'd open up that trigger. Just don't have the skills! Just interested in the mechanics of "trigger timing".

Thanks Rob! There is no way I'd open up that trigger. Just don't have the skills! Just interested in the mechanics of "trigger timing".
It's definitely something only a gunsmith should be doing. But I think there is some misunderstanding about this as well—it will still work fine without adjusting the timing, and it's not about the quality of the components, just how they work together. If timing is suboptimal then you will have decreased ignition energy or cock on close.

It's definitely something only a gunsmith should be doing. But I think there is some misunderstanding about this as well—it will still work fine without adjusting the timing, and it's not about the quality of the components, just how they work together. If timing is suboptimal then you will have decreased ignition energy or cock on close.

It also effects the effort to open and close a bolt, as timing optimizes the interface between the trigger and the cocking assembly.

Rarely does a trigger and a cocking assembly mate up perfectly optimized. I once put a TT trigger in a TL3, and the effort to open and close the bolt was horrendous. My friend and I have identical Mausingfield's, however his has a Huber while mine has a BnA Tacsport trigger. The bolt lift and close on his Mausingfield takes noticeably much more effort then mine - his trigger is not mated to the action. If you felt both are actions, you would swear that they were different actions.

I'm not a gunsmith, so I'm not one to explain how timing a TT trigger works. There's a few people on here that are much more qualified to speak on that. Which is why I use BnA triggers.

174f83.jpg