• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vudoo V-22 feeding issues

J@50n

Private
Minuteman
  • Aug 4, 2012
    Has anyone here had issues getting rounds to feed from a V-22? I purchased a V-22 action over the winter and seated it in an MPA BA Comp chassis that I had. The Vudoo magazines are just under 1mm shorter (front to back) than my AICS and Magpul .308 magazines. I believe this allows the front of the magazine to tilt down, and the bolt skips over the top round in the magazine.
    I talked to someone at Vudoo about it, who said that the MPA chassis has a longer magwell than it should.
    I tried taping some shims, of various thicknesses from 0.5mm to 0.7mm, to the front of the magazine and found that it helped the magazine stay seated properly and feed properly. I went from most rounds failing to feed to the last round occasionally failing.

Has anyone else had this issue? If so, how did you handle it?

Call Vudoo Gun Works in the morning for the straight answer...… and resolution. (y)

I emailed them in March, but haven't heard back in a month.

A couple of us had similar issues with our jelrod-converted 40X repeaters using the Vudoo 10rd mags. What we did was drill & tap the rear of the magazine to take a 6-32 allen-head capscrew that can be adjusted to bear against the rear of the mag well and prevent the front of the magazine from being pushed to the rear when the rifle is pushed forward against a barricade or bag. Our issues were both with our bbl'd actions in Manners stocks with DBM Mini chassis, but IIRC, I also had the same problem in a conventional stock with PTG Stealth DBM. We placed the screw at the same height as the mag latch pivot pin when the mag is seated in the DBM. I used 6-32 screws simply because I had a bag full of the spare screw that come with each set of TPS TSR rings that I've been using for the past dozen or more years. Any similar-size screw would work.

I emailed them in March, but haven't heard back in a month.
    I emailed Mike from my work email and never got a reply so I posted on here about a month later and got a reply right away. I’ve since been emailing him from my personal email and they’ve been going through. I believe they’re at the NRA Annual Meeting for a couple days so replies may be delayed.

Has anyone here had issues getting rounds to feed from a V-22? I purchased a V-22 action over the winter and seated it in an MPA BA Comp chassis that I had. The Vudoo magazines are just under 1mm shorter (front to back) than my AICS and Magpul .308 magazines. I believe this allows the front of the magazine to tilt down, and the bolt skips over the top round in the magazine.
    I talked to someone at Vudoo about it, who said that the MPA chassis has a longer magwell than it should.
    I tried taping some shims, of various thicknesses from 0.5mm to 0.7mm, to the front of the magazine and found that it helped the magazine stay seated properly and feed properly. I went from most rounds failing to feed to the last round occasionally failing.

Has anyone else had this issue? If so, how did you handle it?

Sorry about the email issue, seems to have been a bit of a problem off and on. Went through everything on this end and don’t see anything.

From the setup you’re describing, the issue isn’t in the barreled action/magazine. Give us a call at the shop, you can ask to be forwarded to me and I’ll take you through the details to resolve it.

Thanks,
    MB

Mike, is this a one off issue with this chassis, or is it pretty consistent. I seem to remember someone else having a similar issue with the MPA.

I have the same problem with my xlr envy, everything works perfect until i try to run it with a bag on a barricade. It starts to roll out of the front causing it not to feed. Any pics on how you're putting in the screw in to stop that from happening? or any other ideas?

Here ya go - this is a shot of a modified mag in the DBM Mini chassis in a Manners T4A stock that I've got my jelrod-converted 40XB in. As mentioned, I used T-15 torx head screws because I had a whole baggie full of the extras that come with every set of TPS TSR scope rings. Basically any allen-head or torx head cap screw would work - they only need to be about 3/8" long. I haven't done it yet, but once you get the screw adjusted to give the right fit, a dab of Super Glue would work to lock them in place.

Attachments

• DSC_1222.JPG
      DSC_1222.JPG
      264.5 KB · Views: 360
    • DSC_1223.JPG
      DSC_1223.JPG
      253.3 KB · Views: 369
    Last edited:
    A buddy's V22 in MPA Comp chassis was skipping the last round. Turned out to be the mag catch was a whisker too low and MPA sent a new catch right away.

If you press up on the mag and cycle the action, do you still have the issue?

A buddy's V22 in MPA Comp chassis was skipping the last round. Turned out to be the mag catch was a whisker too low and MPA sent a new catch right away.

If you press up on the mag and cycle the action, do you still have the issue?

I have had this exact issue initially with my V-22 when it was new, wouldn't grab the last round but haven't had that issue since. I would venture to say this is an MPA chassis issue as I have seen others have issues as well. I'm certain not all of them have the issue but I have seen on more than a few occasions of it causing issue for people.

If I press up on the magazine, it feeds flawlessly. I suspect MPA lengthened the magwell (mine is about 1mm longer than the one on my KRG W-3), probably for faster loading. The magazine is locked in place in the rear by the mag catch, but there's enough of a gap in the front for the magazine to rotate forward, until the top front corner touches the magwell wall.
    With a centerfire action, this probably wouldn't be an issue, because the bolt picks the new round up from the rear of the magazine, which wouldn't move much, since the mag catch, the fulcrum of rotation, is on the rear. But because the Vudoo grabs the round so close to the front of the magazine, the dip is enough to affect feeding.

I just talked to Paul from Vudoo. He said there's a known issue with the dimensions of the MPA magwell. MPA has some parts (a shim for the rear, and new mag release) to fix it. Vudoo and MPA are also working together to fix the dimensions.

Reactions: jinxx4ever
    I’m sure there are some patent issues, but I’m surprised chassis/stock manufacturers haven’t started using an adjustable magwel like j Allen does.

With the extreme variety of actions and mags out there, seems like it would be more common.

Reactions: kabarNC
    glad i came across this , i'm planning on a Vudoo in the near future and have the MPA already purchased for it .
    I emailed MPA's support staff, and they're shipping me a longer magazine catch at no charge.

I have mine in an MPA chassis and had a few issues. I cleaned my mags in dove soap, let dry applied small amount of rem oil. Worked the spring several time until it was smooth. Have shot my last 500 rounds with no issue. With mine the feeding was good but the magazine had a lot of drag and causing last few rounds to stop just shy of the top. I also noticed oil luned ammo i.e SK; feeds much smoother than wax.

looks like the best cure is no MPA for a vudoo
    I don’t believe that is correct. Read my post above. It wasn’t the chassis but dead on both magazines. In my case anyway. Absolutely love this chassis. Hate for someone not to try it based on someone who doesn’t have one.

I don’t believe that is correct. Read my post above. It wasn’t the chassis but dead on both magazines. In my case anyway. Absolutely love this chassis. Hate for someone not to try it based on someone who doesn’t have one.
    Drag on mags. ? sorry

I've been in contact with MPA throughout a good bit of today. For good reason, MPA is an incredibly popular chassis system because they've lead the way in a lot of areas that has served the community very well. They've creatively approached the accommodation of AICS, Magpul, Accurate Mag and MDT magazines and as you all know, these are all centerfire mags.

When it comes to feeding a centerfire, you have a feed ramp, a huge target that is the chamber mouth and a pointed bullet, so getting the round in the chamber isn't a big deal. The mags can move around a bit more in the chassis and it won't hurt a thing. Feeding rimfire is different....no feed ramp (in the Vudoo), mostly round nose lead bullets and a small target. The Vudoo feeds straight into the chamber so as long as the mag is sitting where it should relative to the receiver centerline, there are no problems.

Due to the generous magazine accommodations in the MPA, we've found the magnum length mag release and a magazine block offered by MPA does the trick. Rarely is a feeding issue in an MPA related to magazine issues. MPA is aware of this and is shipping parts to Vudoo and will gladly supply them to those who've dropped barreled actions into their own MPA chassis.

Anyone experiencing issues outside of what I've described here can reach out to me anytime and I'll get it squared away quickly.

Thanks,
    MB

I've been in contact with MPA throughout a good bit of today. For good reason, MPA is an incredibly popular chassis system because they've lead the way in a lot of areas that has served the community very well. They've creatively approached the accommodation of AICS, Magpul, Accurate Mag and MDT magazines and as you all know, these are all centerfire mags.

When it comes to feeding a centerfire, you have a feed ramp, a huge target that is the chamber mouth and a pointed bullet, so getting the round in the chamber isn't a big deal. The mags can move around a bit more in the chassis and it won't hurt a thing. Feeding rimfire is different....no feed ramp (in the Vudoo), mostly round nose lead bullets and a small target. The Vudoo feeds straight into the chamber so as long as the mag is sitting where it should relative to the receiver centerline, there are no problems.

Due to the generous magazine accommodations in the MPA, we've found the magnum length mag release and a magazine block offered by MPA does the trick. Rarely is a feeding issue in an MPA related to magazine issues. MPA is aware of this and is shipping parts to Vudoo and will gladly supply them to those who've dropped barreled actions into their own MPA chassis.

Anyone experiencing issues outside of what I've described here can reach out to me anytime and I'll get it squared away quickly.

Thanks,
    MB
    Question? I have difficulty using waxed lubed ammo. I thought it was an ammo issue and not a feed issue because it feeds oil lubed ammo fine. I have the MPA chassis the magazine moves some but not bad however after reading your post do you think I should request the aforementioned parts? Thanks

Question? I have difficulty using waxed lubed ammo. I thought it was an ammo issue and not a feed issue because it feeds oil lubed ammo fine. I have the MPA chassis the magazine moves some but not bad however after reading your post do you think I should request the aforementioned parts? Thanks

What brand is the waxed lube ammo? Yes, I believe, at the very least, you should use the magnum length mag release.

MB

Even with the issues I've had, I wouldn't pick another chassis. The extended mag catch is supposed to fix the issue (I'll report back when it arrives and I install and try it). But if I was looking at buying the parts for a build right now, I'd tell MPA I want to wait for the revised chassis.

And both Vudoo and MPA have done a great job getting things straightened out.

We are doing some tests right now with Vudoo to find the right combination of mag catch height and potentially a mag block insert that was developed for another application. - for the combination of the Vudoo action, their magazine configuration, bolt head design, etc.

I just received my new vudoo with a MPA folder old style chassis with mag cut out I have not shot it yet. Should I be contacting MPA about getting a extended mag catch and a mag block.

I just received my new vudoo with a MPA folder old style chassis with mag cut out I have not shot it yet. Should I be contacting MPA about getting a extended mag catch and a mag block.

Try shooting it first I’d imagine.

I contacted Vudoo today and here are some checks we did to evaluate my feed issue with some ammo. First open bolt insert empty mag and close bolt. Now press up on the bottom rear of the magazine... up being same as insert direction and let off. Is there any up and down on magazine? If not no latch needed. Now does magazine move front and back? It will have slight movement but if excessive there are mag blocks available from MPA. Last which was my issue some ammo I use i.e RWS rifle match has a small shoulder on it which was catching on the mag. Look at the front of the mag in front of the feeder. You will see that the magazine from the bullet side is square. I took a rat tail file and slightly removed a bit from the bullet side on a 45 degree angle. Only about 3 or 4 strokes which made a small ramp look. Cycled 10 rounds and they fed perfectly. And best of all no parts needed.

Reactions: ScottDWallace
    I put the new mag catch in yesterday, and it fed snap caps reliably. I took it to the range today and it fed and fired 100 rounds reliably. I think everything is good now.

Reactions: bjay
    Did you use just the catch or the mag block insert too?

The guy I talked to at MPA said the only part necessary is the mag catch, so that's all the sent me.

Reactions: NorthWesterner
    I have a Vudoo in a MPA Competition chassis as does another shooter at our Club and we are both shooting NRL style matches. Neither of us are having any magazine feed problems.

FYI, Mine is SN 1640.

I have a voodoo V-22 in a MPA chassis I have had zero issues feeding with all ammo tried so far!

I have a voodoo V-22 in a MPA chassis I have had zero issues feeding with all ammo tried so far!
    Ok, it's not a bad idea to resurrect this thread as feeding issues with MPA-chassis'ed V-22s appeared recently in at least one other thread. The issue is related to tolerances in the MPA magazine well that would be meaningless to centerfire actions but which can occasionally cause feeding issues with the tiny .22 cartridge in the V-22 action.

My rifle was one of those affected, the fix was applied, and the problem was eliminated. I've posted about this a few times, and again I'll state that it is up to Mike, Paul, et. al. to talk with you and ensure the right fix is made available.

If your magazine latches in snugly - with no or very little vertical play - there should be no problem.

If there is play, especially vertically, AND you experience feeding issues, call the Vudoo crew. They'll get you squared away.

Ok, it's not a bad idea to resurrect this thread as feeding issues with MPA-chassis'ed V-22s appeared recently in at least one other thread. The issue is related to tolerances in the MPA magazine well that would be meaningless to centerfire actions but which can occasionally cause feeding issues with the tiny .22 cartridge in the V-22 action.

My rifle was one of those affected, the fix was applied, and the problem was eliminated. I've posted about this a few times, and again I'll state that it is up to Mike, Paul, et. al. to talk with you and ensure the right fix is made available.

If your magazine latches in snugly - with no or very little vertical play - there should be no problem.

If there is play, especially vertically, AND you experience feeding issues, call the Vudoo crew. They'll get you squared away.
    Downhill, the issue is not with the tolerances of our magwell. I can assure you. On AICS type magazines, there is a large variation in length and width dimension between AI, Accurate, ARC, MDT, Vudoo and Magpul mags. Our magwell has to be able to accept all of them. There is as much as .020" of variation in length alone between these AICS pattern magazines. On a 22LR rifle, the position of the round, as its picked up by the bolt in the magazine, is critical to feeding consistency. So when we started hearing about this issue with the Vudoo mags in our magwell, we created a solution. This includes a mag block and adjustable mag catch. We have provided Vudoo with a series of the mag blocks and all of our chassis now come with an adjustable mag catch (height adjustment). Just wanted to provide a little clarification.

Downhill, the issue is not with the tolerances of our magwell. I can assure you. On AICS type magazines, there is a large variation in length and width dimension between AI, Accurate, ARC, MDT, Vudoo and Magpul mags. Our magwell has to be able to accept all of them. There is as much as .020" of variation in length alone between these AICS pattern magazines. On a 22LR rifle, the position of the round, as its picked up by the bolt in the magazine, is critical to feeding consistency. So when we started hearing about this issue with the Vudoo mags in our magwell, we created a solution. This includes a mag block and adjustable mag catch. We have provided Vudoo with a series of the mag blocks and all of our chassis now come with an adjustable mag catch (height adjustment). Just wanted to provide a little clarification.
    Thanks for the input and clarification @MPA. I agree completely that MPA - indeed, any builder of AICS-type chassis - has a challenge in building to accept all AICS pattern magazines. The adjustable mag catch and mag blocks - as far as I know, and certainly in my case - resolve issues arising from the occasional situation where Vudoo mags don't fit snugly.

I just didn't want to post anything in an online forum about the adjustable catch because I got mine before it was a standard piece of the MPA chassis. I didn't want people calling you - or @RAVAGE88 - and demanding one when the issue might have been something else. Now that you've made the catch a standard part, I'll happily pass this info on when indicated.

Reactions: MPA
    I tig welded a bead across the top of the mag catch and then milled up for a total of .015" extra height. That helped a ton, but still have the occasional FTF. I'm positive it's in fore/aft play, as it only occurs when the mag is smashed into a bag. I guess I'll throw a mag block on my next MPA order.

@MPA , Thanks for jumping in on this thread. The info and support is much appreciated.

Reactions: MPA
    Thanks for the input and clarification @MPA. I agree completely that MPA - indeed, any builder of AICS-type chassis - has a challenge in building to accept all AICS pattern magazines. The adjustable mag catch and mag blocks - as far as I know, and certainly in my case - resolve issues arising from the occasional situation where Vudoo mags don't fit snugly.

I just didn't want to post anything in an online forum about the adjustable catch because I got mine before it was a standard piece of the MPA chassis. I didn't want people calling you - or @RAVAGE88 - and demanding one when the issue might have been something else. Now that you've made the catch a standard part, I'll happily pass this info on when indicated.

for those of us who for whatever reason (ie, a distributor had existing stock) got a new chassis in the last three months that did not have the adjustable mag catch included, what options do we have other than spending $36 on one from the MPA website? Yes, my gun has the wiggly mag symptoms and occasional ftf.

ugh, I suck at message boards. This was meant for @MPA

I stumbled upon this thread, my v22 is in a KRG Bravo and I have the same issue. In an NRL22 match yesterday I had 2 failures to feed and I was trying to avoid any pressure on the mag from the bag. I have had up to 4-6 of these failures in a match. That I have to consciously do this in a match is a PIA.