• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vudoo V-22 rifle build advice

marauderx33

Private
Minuteman
May 7, 2018
Australia
Hey folks!

I'm close to ordering a Vudoo V-22 in 22 LR and would love some advice to help me nail down the specs.

The rifle will be a bit of an all-rounder and is not a trainer for a centerfire rig. I'd like something versatile that is well-balanced and light enough for unsupported shooting (e.g. standing, kneeling, sitting) and some hunting use, but heavy enough to do ok prone with a bipod (Atlas PSR on a pic rail) and rear bag. It'll sometimes be used in a local 22 LR competition where we shoot from about 25m to 200m from a variety of field positions (e.g. standing unsupported, prone off a fallen log, seated off a half barrel) - slings allowed but no bipods.

I'm leaning towards a conventional style stock over a chassis, and something without a really wide blocky fore-end (as I find them less comfortable to hold and shoot when not using a bipod or front rest).

I'm thinking:

* Kukri profile, 18" Ace barrel (also considering 20")
* 20 MOA scope rail
* TriggerTech Diamond trigger
* Stock: either Grayboe Renegade (with adjustable cheek piece), Manners MCS-PRS2 (with mini DBM chassis), or maybe a Foundation Revelation.

Does this look sensible? The thing I'm most stuck on is the stock choice. I'm leaning towards the Manners because it's reasonably light, seems well-made, and the mini chassis means I can easily sell it or swap it to another rifle later if I change my mind (rather than being inletted/bedded to a specific action). I've used a friend's Manners T5A and really like that stock, so could consider one of those too.

I haven't had a chance to play with most of the triggers available so happy to hear advice there. I doubt I'll go super light with the trigger (probably stay at 1 lb or 1.5 lb).

Cheers.

Last edited:
You can save money and go TriggerTech Special if you're not planning on going < 1lb. That's what I'm planning as I only run between 1-1.5lbs on my triggers.

Or you can go the new two-stage trigger tech.

I definitely understand where you're coming from and would suggest you define your acceptable finished weight range of the rifle with desired optics, bipod, etc. and start a build sheet with a component weight column.

I have an 18" Kukri barrel, KRG Bravo with spigot, and Trijicon AccuPower 5-50x56 and I'm in the 13lb range. The 18" Kukri profile barrel isn't light, the Bravo stock is 2.9lbs, and the Trijicon is 2.4lbs.

A Manners Carbon stock and lighter barrel profile or Proof carbon will get you on the lower side of the weight range. The guys at Vudoo can advise regarding balance which to me is critical to perceived weight.

It's a great platform to build around, enjoy the process.

Kukri SS steel barrel contour version of this build will be 1.25 lbs heavier and should come in at 9lb 12oz

Scopes add weight in a hurry as objective and tube sizes go up

Thank you for the replies!

I don’t have a specific target weight in mind but I do know that I’d like it to be heavier than a typical 22 rifle, but not as heavy as my Tikka T3 223 with heavy Palma barrel and KRG W3 chassis at 16 lb.

I agree that the balance of the rifle is more important than the exact weight. It’d be awesome to handle a few rifles to get a reference point but I don’t think that will be possible.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
I have the Vudoo u describe with 20" kukri, and tt diamond. Grayboe ridgeback. Absolutely love everything about it. Balance is phenomenal. Accuracy is unspeakable. U will not be disappointed. The Grayboe stock is a bit cheaper than the manners but handles and balances well.

18" kukri, AMG, MPA Ultralite, and bits added.
Balances right under the bag wedge block. I was using a MPA Comp, but wanted a bit less weight. We'll see how she does in February's NRL22!

Attachments

• MVIMG_20200120_140110.jpg
    MVIMG_20200120_140110.jpg
    679.2 KB · Views: 129
Reactions: marauderx33
Thank you for the replies!

I don’t have a specific target weight in mind but I do know that I’d like it to be heavier than a typical 22 rifle, but not as heavy as my Tikka T3 223 with heavy Palma barrel and KRG W3 chassis at 16 lb.

I agree that the balance of the rifle is more important than the exact weight. It’d be awesome to handle a few rifles to get a reference point but I don’t think that will be possible.

Thanks again.

Deleted