• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vudoo V-22S Single Shot BR/F-Class Action

I went with a Sightron SIII 45x45 in TPS TSR Xtra Low rings because the stock I originally planned to use doesn't have an adjustable cheekpiece. Now that I've got it in the Kestros, I'll probably put some taller rings on it to reduce the pressure of the cheek weld. For BR shooting, I'm finding that the less overall 'hold tension' - for lack of a better term - I put on the rifle, the better it shoots. Be interesting to see what I find when/if I put a bipod on it and get set up to shoot F-Class - might not be as easy to minimize my hold while I'm prone.

Reactions: GTI
What scope rings/mounts are you guys using on your V22s???

Going to use either a WEAVER T36 or my SIGHTRON Series III 45X45. Gun is only going to be used at 50 or 100 yds from a bench. I'm also going to use Harrell's offset rings (medium) on VGW mounts.

Reactions: JimTN
Great shooting and a beautiful gun. Might want to try different ammos and see what happens.

Have you tried finding 22LR ammo unless you had good stock pile a lot is B.O. into 2021.
I want to get the most out of the build so I am doing ammo testing but the shelves are pretty bare.
Now if any “ bothers and sisters of order of V22S shooters “ have way to much ammo in your safes and want to share for a fair market price. PM me... kidding I’m ok I have seen this before and started buy bricks of different things to try before thing got to crazy.
So Travelor maybe you should be thanking Jill that you haven’t got you new build yet, look at all the ammo you saved.
Waiting sucks , it will be worth it .
Hope everyone is doing good, looks like mid 30 tomorrow range time . Maybe some of the other will get out and shot , want to see more groups and hear stories of what we are finding with our builds.
So hang tight
Later All

Have you tried finding 22LR ammo unless you had good stock pile a lot is B.O. into 2021.
I want to get the most out of the build so I am doing ammo testing but the shelves are pretty bare.
Now if any “ bothers and sisters of order of V22S shooters “ have way to much ammo in your safes and want to share for a fair market price. PM me... kidding I’m ok I have seen this before and started buy bricks of different things to try before thing got to crazy.
So Travelor maybe you should be thanking Jill that you haven’t got you new build yet, look at all the ammo you saved.
Waiting sucks , it will be worth it .
Hope everyone is doing good, looks like mid 30 tomorrow range time . Maybe some of the other will get out and shot , want to see more groups and hear stories of what we are finding with our builds.
So hang tight
Later All
Send it to Lapua. They test what they have in-stock. If you buy a case they waive the test fee. They tested 20 lots till they found the best lot for me.

Reactions: Badjujuu
Are you guys shooting Lapua in the V22S. I thought Eley was better for that chamber.

BTW.... I went with the Trigger Tech 4 oz trigger, not the Flavio.

Absolutely love this trigger..

Can the Kestros stock be used for informal bench rest shooting?

For you guys that have received your single shot, are you happy with them?

Last edited:

I'm not quite sure what "informal benchrest shooting" is. Please clarify. Reason I ask is because my rifle is coming with a Kestros FR stock and I do a lot of informal benchrest shooting.....

I shoot postal matches. I do not go to competitions. I shoot 50 and 100 yard targets. I have both a one piece and two piece rest and shoot on my private range.

I shoot postal matches. I do not go to competitions. I shoot 50 and 100 yard targets. I have both a one piece and two piece rest and shoot on my private range.
I have a good friend who also shoots Postal Matches. I don't know what they entail but I plan to shoot them also. Without doing any research on the subject, I wouldn't know why a Kestros stock couldn't be used. I will make it a point to contact him and ask him if there are certain "classes". If I find out anything (or if someone chimes in here) I'll let you know......

With the term "informal" I'm guessing you can use whatever you like. :)

JerryP
I would have to say , what are you looking for in this build.
For me it has been a great product I shot for the love of the sport , It Out shots me every time, the more I get to the range the more “Bonding “ to the new setup and keeps getting better.
I have posted that it’s been worth It, as many V22S users have also stated.
So it’s a YES for me one more time, I have over 3k rounds down range Most of these in weather under 40 degrees.
Am I a VGW fan boy .. No ... Is it a lot of money maybe ... but for me ... The price was worth the product.

I hope this answers for me.

Send it to Lapua. They test what they have in-stock. If you buy a case they waive the test fee. They tested 20 lots till they found the best lot for me.

ok, from what I understand most testing sites want you to have at least 1k rounds down range first.
So you looking between $250 to $350 for breakin ammo , its would be nice to know what your build will do in a test tunnel but it comes down to you behind to trigger.
That is only my thoughts,
I shot for the love of the sport and only can do better with practice.
What I have posted is not Tier 1 but the group want to see what VGW new V22s can do so I’m willing to share .
So if or when you get your Build send it off for testing and please share with the group what you find out.

later all

ok, from what I understand most testing sites want you to have at least 1k rounds down range first.
So you looking between $250 to $350 for breakin ammo , its would be nice to know what your build will do in a test tunnel but it comes down to you behind to trigger.
That is only my thoughts,
I shot for the love of the sport and only can do better with practice.
What I have posted is not Tier 1 but the group want to see what VGW new V22s can do so I’m willing to share .
So if or when you get your Build send it off for testing and please share with the group what you find out.

later all

I think sending it off to have someone do the testing for you kinda takes the fun out of it. I look forward to figuring out things myself. We all shoot for different reasons and we all have a certain amount of time we can devote to the hobby/sport. Some old retired guy like me has plenty of time to test whereas guys that are still working and family obligations may not have that luxury, so having someone do the legwork would be ideal for them.
(Just my feelings)

When Lapua & SK finally catch up with demand (if it happens in my lifetime...), I'd gladly test a range of ammo at home in mine. It's good to recall how easy it was to do that just a few short years ago, and sad to see how hard it is to find a dealer/wholesaler who has a good supply of both brands to make it practical to do your own testing.

When Lapua & SK finally catch up with demand (if it happens in my lifetime...), I'd gladly test a range of ammo at home in mine. It's good to recall how easy it was to do that just a few short years ago, and sad to see how hard it is to find a dealer/wholesaler who has a good supply of both brands to make it practical to do your own testing.

Try "SHOOTING FOR PERFECTION" Clint Swigert just got some Center-X and Xact in! Better hurry.....

I was just at the Lapua test center today. 7hr drive up yesterday and 7 back today and well worth it. Tested 3 guns in the time it would have taken me to test one gun thoroughly outdoors. One of the main advantages is that they guarantee the ammo they test is available to buy if you find one that you like. I think we tested 10 CenterX and 15 or so Midas+. They don't offer that ammo out to the resellers although you do end up buying through one of them. It's one thing to test on your own time, but if all of the ammo is gone by the time you have tested it, it doesn't really matter. For some this may not be a big issue, but for those of us looking for competition ammo it's a great benefit to know that what we test we can actually buy. There are no guarantees of course, but it's hard to match the consistent conditions and highly accurate results shown in real time. The only real downside is the size of the check you have to write if you buy much.

I was just at the Lapua test center today. 7hr drive up yesterday and 7 back today and well worth it. Tested 3 guns in the time it would have taken me to test one gun thoroughly outdoors. One of the main advantages is that they guarantee the ammo they test is available to buy if you find one that you like. I think we tested 10 CenterX and 15 or so Midas+. They don't offer that ammo out to the resellers although you do end up buying through one of them. It's one thing to test on your own time, but if all of the ammo is gone by the time you have tested it, it doesn't really matter. For some this may not be a big issue, but for those of us looking for competition ammo it's a great benefit to know that what we test we can actually buy. There are no guarantees of course, but it's hard to match the consistent conditions and highly accurate results shown in real time. The only real downside is the size of the check you have to write if you buy much.

I agree. You make a valid point but at the end of the day once all the testing is done it really boils down to who's pulling the trigger.....

Has anyone found a certain speed to work/shoot better than other speeds in your particular V22 S?? Not all that familiar with Eley ammo but I know CX has different speeds per the lot code deciphering method.

Last edited:

Valuable perspective, Hozzie.

MB

Hozzie, I had that exact thing happen to me a few years ago while testing several lots of Center-X. I'd called in an order for it, and received the order in a timely fashion, but then got busy with farm work and didn't have time and/or good testing conditions for a few weeks. By the time I'd shot through those test lots and found a really good one, there was no more of it to be found at any of the dealers/wholesalers I called. That's what convinced me of the need to send a V-22 bbl'd action out to Mesa....

I have a question for the fortunate few that have received their guns. Were they shipped UPS and took 6 days to get to your FFL holder?

So, 15 lots which sounds like pretty good stock. Would you say that’s representative or a bit better than average availability.
ask because probably going to do the drive.
lastly, since you shoot matches, how would you rate lots you bought ?

I agree. You make a valid point but at the end of the day once all the testing is done it really boils down to who's pulling the trigger.....
At the end of the day, if you don’t have a well thought out testing regimen and use it, it won’t make a difference who is pulling the trigger in any kind of competitive match scenario.

So, 15 lots which sounds like pretty good stock. Would you say that’s representative or a bit better than average availability.

As I understand it, the number of lots to test does change fairly frequently. I just so happened to catch it within two weeks of Luke getting 10 or so new lots of Center X in. He was out for one of those weeks so there was only a week of testers before me. I think there is usually a better selection of Midas as more people are looking for and hoping to find CenterX of course because of the price. Even then, one of the lots of CenterX was sold out before I tested. I also know that someone else also bought some of the lots I bought before I tested, so you really just have to call and ask Luke what he has.

At this point it's hard for me to say what I ultimately think these will do. I tested 3 guns with only one of them being knowingly in tune, but the last time I shot it it was a lot warmer. The two other guns were just put together and I hadn't done much testing. My thought going in was to use my known gun as the baseline to widdle down what lots appeared to be the best and then used the results of the other two to see if any of them shot better even if the guns weren't in full tune. I actually tested one with no tuner at all.

We did find one lot CenterX that was clearly the best in all three and one lot of Midas that shot nearly as well in all three. It was a slightly faster lot. I also bought another lot of CenterX that shot second best. One of the reasons I bought multiple lots was simply because I was literally down to a few bricks of ammo. I didn't go in expecting to set records, I was looking for consistency across my guns and have the expectation I will need to tune a bit to the lots. I ended up buying 4 cases(2,1,1) figuring worst case it will sell. I also didn't want to place all of my eggs in one basket so to speak. Who knows, one lot may work better in one gun vs another after I really have a chance to tune well.

Luke is easy to work with and knows what he is seeing and gives honest feedback. I was pleased with my overall experience. I was there on Wed and my ammo was delivered yesterday. Pretty good service.

Reactions: Rimfireshooter99
I have a question for the fortunate few that have received their guns. Were they shipped UPS and took 6 days to get to your FFL holder?
Yes,
I had sent a rifle to a smith a few weeks ago for work that had been planned so it was a 3 day turn around , it got to him in 3 days about the right time, the work only took 2 days , and when out the next day and took 5 days to get back or theses were Business days!,
Welcome to “ Covid Shipping 2020 “. The good thing it back now.
Seeing the same types of things with all the package movers. One of our central hubs had over 200 out with the Covid.

Hang in there. Think of story’s you be able share

Last edited:
At the end of the day, if you don’t have a well thought out testing regimen and use it, it won’t make a difference who is pulling the trigger in any kind of competitive match scenario.

I believe that's what I said, "AFTER ALL THE TESTING IS DONE". In other words you can test till you're blue in the face and have the best ammo, rifle, rest and anything else you can think of but if you can't hit the X what good is it.

I bought a case of 10x for my current rifle and worked with tuner to find best shooting tune . Wouldn't that be better than test facility since they dont play with tuner ? There is huge difference in tuner setting.

I bought a case of 10x for my current rifle and worked with tuner to find best shooting tune . Wouldn't that be better than test facility since they dont play with tuner ? There is huge difference in tuner setting.

The short answer is no unless you are just lucky. I feel like we have probably veered off the V22S thread with all of this more than needed. Would be glad to give my opinion if you want to start another thread.

Ideally, you want to hit the test center with a tuned gun And ideally tune with proven/known ammo.They don’t play because if it’s tuned.....you’re done. You might find slight difference between ELEY and Lapua, but not much.
If you’re talking huge difference, I’d suspect it was not tuned to begin with.

while this is not strictly Vudoo related, as they roll out to guys without tuner experience, it might pay to consider.

Devan at Lapua - Mesa Az tested 20 lots before he found a lot my gun liked. They don't have the bulk ammo there it's in a warehouse in Missouri saved and separated and shipped for the Test Center customers. So even if you go there to watch your rifle being tested you don't leave with the bulk ammo. After testing Devan sends you a printout of all the lots tested and his recommendation of the best lot at 50 and 100 meters while your rifle is still there in case you want to test more lots. He only tests lots he has cases available in the warehouse. It's a win-win for the shooter!

Devan at Lapua - Mesa Az tested 20 lots before he found a lot my gun liked. They don't have the bulk ammo there it's in a warehouse in Missouri saved and separated and shipped for the Test Center customers. So even if you go there to watch your rifle being tested you don't leave with the bulk ammo. After testing Devan sends you a printout of all the lots tested and his recommendation of the best lot at 50 and 100 meters while your rifle is still there in case you want to test more lots. He only tests lots he has cases available in the warehouse. It's a win-win for the shooter!

I’m not inquiring about test protocols, I am familiar with them.
my question was about numbers of lots present these days. Like Jamie, probably load up a couple, three guns and do the drive.

I’m not inquiring about test protocols, I am familiar with them.
my question was about numbers of lots present these days. Like Jamie, probably load up a couple, three guns and do the drive.
If I remember correctly, Luke at the Marengo Ctr. said they typically have between 15-20 different lots.

Gjmen22

Reactions: rnaylor2
If I remember correctly, Luke at the Marengo Ctr. said they typically have between 15-20 different lots.

Gjmen22

this is something it pays to keep an eye on. ALL the test facilities get down to just 4-5 lots on occasion.

Hey I was only looking for a cheaper ammo test answer as I work for wages and this vudoo was a major expense .

I agree with you mattt. I was hoping for the same thing when I got my 40X. Unfortunately she only liked the good stuff (ELEY black box). Maybe with this one I can get away with a little less expensive ammo. (Notice I didn't say cheaper). Selling the Remington was a must to be able to afford the V22S. As it is I'm still sleeping on the couch! After 49 years of marriage you tend to learn things. I made the mistake of not telling the "Boss". Oh well, she should get over it by Christmas (I hope!)

BTW: MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL and GOOD SHOOTING!

Finding ammo is the biggest issue right now. I would imagine any decent $4/box on up ammo will not harm the barrel for break-in IMO (flame suit on) but the ammo may not group well or show any promise. I shot the Norma Black box and white box in my 64MPR for a couple years just because I was stubborn and would not move up the better ammo, even in local RF matches.

Last edited:
Finding ammo is the biggest issue right now. I would imagine any decent $4/box on up ammo will not harm the barrel for break-in IMO (flame suit one) but the ammo may not group well or show any promise. I shot the Norma Black box and white box in my 64MPR for a couple years just because I was stubborn and would not move up the better ammo, even in local RF matches.
I shot SK Standard Plus for the first 1000 rounds for break in and it shot pretty good then sent it to Lapua.

Reactions: JimTN and Gjmen22
I was shooting some sorry older Wolf Match Extra in mine a couple of days ago just to get some rounds down the bbl in prep for sending it to get lot tested. Back 15yrs ago, every lot of Wolf Match Target or Match Extra I bought was g-t-g, but then I got brave/stupid and bought a full case of Match Extra without testing, and wound up with some pretty poor ammo. It hasn't shot acceptable in any of my rifles, whether with factory or custom barrels. But the tuner on the V-22S helped quite a bit - at least for the first 30-40rds - then it started stringing vertical pretty bad. The lube has dried out quite a bit on this ammo - it's not flaking off the bullet like old Eley will, but neither is it very soft/greasy like fresh SK is. If it's the tuner that made it shoot acceptably, I'm pretty impressed, because this stuff was so poor in plain barrels that I wouldn't even plink with it.

Attachments

• 39EFCAF5-BA96-4863-A50A-D911402A7656.jpeg
    39EFCAF5-BA96-4863-A50A-D911402A7656.jpeg
    11.3 KB · Views: 44
I was shooting some sorry older Wolf Match Extra in mine a couple of days ago just to get some rounds down the bbl in prep for sending it to get lot tested. Back 15yrs ago, every lot of Wolf Match Target or Match Extra I bought was g-t-g, but then I got brave/stupid and bought a full case of Match Extra without testing, and wound up with some pretty poor ammo. It hasn't shot acceptable in any of my rifles, whether with factory or custom barrels. But the tuner on the V-22S helped quite a bit - at least for the first 30-40rds - then it started stringing vertical pretty bad. The lube has dried out quite a bit on this ammo - it's not flaking off the bullet like old Eley will, but neither is it very soft/greasy like fresh SK is. If it's the tuner that made it shoot acceptably, I'm pretty impressed, because this stuff was so poor in plain barrels that I wouldn't even plink with it.

Whose tuner are you using Dennis, if you don't mind my asking...

I made the mistake of not telling the "Boss". Oh well, she should get over it by Christmas (I hope!)

BTW: MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL and GOOD SHOOTING!

They always do... eventually. Lol