• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vudoo V-22S Single Shot BR/F-Class Action

This is probably a stupid question. But, has there been any thoughts of trying a 6 and 12 o’clock firing pin? Maybe even a 4 point firing pin to stabilize ignition. Just some thoughts I’ve have while reading about the problems that occur during pin strike.

This is probably a stupid question. But, has there been any thoughts of trying a 6 and 12 o’clock firing pin? Maybe even a 4 point firing pin to stabilize ignition. Just some thoughts I’ve have while reading about the problems that occur during pin strike.
This is a screenshot of Vudoo Labs Instagram post in regards to firing pins....

If that helps

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20210514-065749_Instagram.jpg
    SmartSelect_20210514-065749_Instagram.jpg
    697.1 KB · Views: 147
Reactions: Mikes733
This was done (not by me) and didn't yield any significant advantages or improvements.

MB

It does explain a lot. But I was curious if equal pressure applied in 2 or 4 locations would be helpful. Thanks for responding.
About 25 years ago Time Precision made rimfire actions with two firing pins. Actually it was one pin with two striking points. One north and one south. By making it this way it ensured both striking points were driven with the same force.

After many actions were sold and many shooters had gained experience with them most decided the two pins strikes were a bad idea. As a result many filed off the north striking point. This caused ignition problems because with only on striking point the spring was over driving the single point.

Once this was realized the spring strength was reduced and all was well.

Well enough for Time Precision rifles to win the ARA Nationals twice.

My personal experience was a little different. I could never tell that the one strike was better than the dual strike. I shot them both ways.

Sorry Mike, I started writing this before I saw your response.

TKH

About 25 years ago Time Precision made rimfire actions with two firing pins. Actually it was one pin with two striking points. One north and one south. By making it this way it ensured both striking points were driven with the same force.

After many actions were sold and many shooters had gained experience with them most decided the two pins strikes were a bad idea. As a result many filed off the north striking point. This caused ignition problems because with only on striking point the spring was over driving the single point.

Once this was realized the spring strength was reduced and all was well.

Well enough for Time Precision rifles to win the ARA Nationals twice.

My personal experience was a little different. I could never tell that the one strike was better than the dual strike. I shot them both ways.

Sorry Mike, I started writing this before I saw your response.

TKH
No worries, Tony, you’re always welcome and we’re all fortunate that you’re here. The cool thing is, it was tried.

MB

Last I knew Freedom Arms was making their Model 252 silhouette model with 2 pins. Might be the last company doing so. Then again, my 252 is pretty old and I have not shot pistol silhouette in a few years.

Better make plans to go to the Triple Crown the end of the May and let her show how much better she is than you. LOL ;)

Reactions: RAVAGE88
Better make plans to go to the Triple Crown the end of the May and let her show how much better she is than you. LOL ;)
I know what a lucky man I am. It’s BILLOH fault.
She can hold her own and makes a mouthwatering Apple pie 😉

Attachments

• 699357BB-94E0-4AA2-B3F4-0570B95B7A5B.jpeg
    699357BB-94E0-4AA2-B3F4-0570B95B7A5B.jpeg
    826.9 KB · Views: 140
anyone shooting matches out there ? if so how are you doing?
I haven't shot any matches lately with my V-22S but we've been preparing it for the Triple Crown of Rimfire at Kettlefoot later this month.

This Vudoo Gun Works V-22S build (Shilen Ratchet, Vudoo Flavio Fare, Holeshot Tuner) has gotten a little face-lift since I initially posted back in November 2020. The rifle is now in an RO-Tex High Profile Dymalux stock that has been painted a glossy black with silver metal flake - the Vudoo logo is on each side of the butt stock and a cool James Bond "007" logo has been added to the forearm. The Bond logo was added because the serial number of the rifle is the seventh produced by VGW, i.e., 007.

I'm hoping I can convince my Louisiana "tuner/tester/mentor" to take my Vudoo for a spin at the Triple Crown. He's only shot one record ARA target with the rifle but it was a perfect 2500 ARA score. He'll need to bring out some of his "killer" ammo and we'll be hoping that all the stars line up for the matches

Wish us luck at the upcoming Triple Crown ... it's time to put the Vudoo V-22S on THE BIG STAGE!!!!!

Norm Flynn

Attachments

• 2021-05-14 V-22S 007 RO-Tex.jpeg
    2021-05-14 V-22S 007 RO-Tex.jpeg
    313.4 KB · Views: 206
I haven't shot any matches lately with my V-22S but we've been preparing it for the Triple Crown of Rimfire at Kettlefoot later this month.

This Vudoo Gun Works V-22S build (Shilen Ratchet, Vudoo Flavio Fare, Holeshot Tuner) has gotten a little face-lift since I initially posted back in November 2020. The rifle is now in an RO-Tex High Profile Dymalux stock that has been painted a glossy black with silver metal flake - the Vudoo logo is on each side of the butt stock and a cool James Bond "007" logo has been added to the forearm. The Bond logo was added because the serial number of the rifle is the seventh produced by VGW, i.e., 007.

I'm hoping I can convince my Louisiana "tuner/tester/mentor" to take my Vudoo for a spin at the Triple Crown. He's only shot one record ARA target with the rifle but it was a perfect 2500 ARA score. He'll need to bring out some of his "killer" ammo and we'll be hoping that all the stars line up for the matches

Wish us luck at the upcoming Triple Crown ... it's time to put the Vudoo V-22S on THE BIG STAGE!!!!!

Norm Flynn
Great looking rifle Norm!

Best of luck at the Triple Crown. There has been so much speculation about how the Vudoos would do in competition. It is great that you are able to do this and I really like how prominently the brand is identified. Your rifle looks great and I know it will shoot great as well.

Norm Flynn
Beautiful rifle and Jerry told me recently he's shooting "007" at the Triple Crown. We sent him a handful of Vudoo shirts for the "BIG STAGE."

MB

Would you share your cleaning routines you use . that's a sharp looking rifle. Looking forward to seeing how it shots.
Current cleaning routine is two wet patches, then four strokes with a brush, two more wet patches and at least three dry patches.

I use a Dewey rod 0 0.187" O.D with an AccuPro 22cal Pro Jag (with O-ring), a bore guide sold by Vudoo or Bore Tech, Pro Shot 1 1/8" round patches, Pro-Shot brass core, bronze bristle rifle bore brush ... I use Bore Tech's Rimfire Blend on wet patches.. I also use ProShot Gold-Pro lubricant to lightly grease backside of lugs and I'll occasionally disassemble the bolt to oil wear surfaces.

I clean the bore after each target in competitions but may shoot up to a hundred rounds in practice. I haven't noticed accuracy drop off near the hundred round mark.

Beware of combustion/lead or carbon ring build up that will rob accuracy. Bore Tech's C4 Carbon remover when you suspect CL ring build up.

Remember, there's about as many cleaning protocols as there are rimfire shooters ...

A clean barrel is a happy barrel ... you be the judge!

Current cleaning routine is two wet patches, then four strokes with a brush, two more wet patches and at least three dry patches.

I use a Dewey rod 0 0.187" O.D with an AccuPro 22cal Pro Jag (with O-ring), a bore guide sold by Vudoo or Bore Tech, Pro Shot 1 1/8" round patches, Pro-Shot brass core, bronze bristle rifle bore brush ... I use Bore Tech's Rimfire Blend on wet patches.. I also use ProShot Gold-Pro lubricant to lightly grease backside of lugs and I'll occasionally disassemble the bolt to oil wear surfaces.

I clean the bore after each target in competitions but may shoot up to a hundred rounds in practice. I haven't noticed accuracy drop off near the hundred round mark.

Beware of combustion/lead or carbon ring build up that will rob accuracy. Bore Tech's C4 Carbon remover when you suspect CL ring build up.

Remember, there's about as many cleaning protocols as there are rimfire shooters ...

Hello
On a SHILEN Ratchet 22lr barrel I use a DEWEY rod of 0,187" with a spike tip and a 1 1/8" diameter patch
I had a rod support made whose bore is the same size as the DEWEY rod, this support fits into the guide that is housed in the place of the mobile breech.
the advantage is that I am perfectly centered for the entry in the stripes.
I use 3 dry patches to remove the combustion soot and then a patch soaked with triple action oil solution Iosso (I find that the patch is more colored than with the rimfire), then a single stroke of bronze silk brush (without going back and forth).
then I put x patches to obtain a white patch and with a felt cylinder coated with Gun oil at the end of the stem I just go back and forth. and that's it
I did a vision test with borrescop after removing the soot and unplumbing, the aspect is perfect the entrance of the scratches does not carry traces of carbon
the aspect lapping of the surface of this barrel is perfect (currently this barrel has fired about 2000 rounds).
I can shoot 4 cards without cleaning and without noticing a change in accuracy.
My ammunition is exclusively LAPUA X ACT /M+ as I have already explained I select my batches by trying at home at 30m in indoor judging on the roundness of the grouping, I do not select the clovers nor the oblong holes.

Mike,

I thank you and I understand your position, the person who contacted you is not a gunsmith but the person who has the export license to send me the Vudoo in France. and I receive the package directly, no one other than me touches the equipment.
it is a gesture of respect towards you and your license.
Sincerely
jacques
Folks,
I called M. Ezell from France, and i really felt that i was bothering him, requesting where to buy.
Like Jacques, i am awaiting my V22S from my gunsmith, Luc Brouquier.
Here attached my turbo V3 for the french championship.

Patrick

Attachments

• IMG20210428093700 (1).jpg
    IMG20210428093700 (1).jpg
    482.3 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Reactions: Rimfireshooter99
Hello
On a SHILEN Ratchet 22lr barrel I use a DEWEY rod of 0,187" with a spike tip and a 1 1/8" diameter patch
I had a rod support made whose bore is the same size as the DEWEY rod, this support fits into the guide that is housed in the place of the mobile breech.
the advantage is that I am perfectly centered for the entry in the stripes.
I use 3 dry patches to remove the combustion soot and then a patch soaked with triple action oil solution Iosso (I find that the patch is more colored than with the rimfire), then a single stroke of bronze silk brush (without going back and forth).
then I put x patches to obtain a white patch and with a felt cylinder coated with Gun oil at the end of the stem I just go back and forth. and that's it
I did a vision test with borrescop after removing the soot and unplumbing, the aspect is perfect the entrance of the scratches does not carry traces of carbon
the aspect lapping of the surface of this barrel is perfect (currently this barrel has fired about 2000 rounds).
I can shoot 4 cards without cleaning and without noticing a change in accuracy.
My ammunition is exclusively LAPUA X ACT /M+ as I have already explained I select my batches by trying at home at 30m in indoor judging on the roundness of the grouping, I do not select the clovers nor the oblong holes.
Interesting, can you show a pic of your home made rod support? What a mobile breech?

Thanks for the reply, Do you think this gun is a killer going in to a competition with that squeaky clean barrel? Do you think a barrel needs to be seasoned to become deadly accurate after being cleaned as you described.

Most competitors clean the bore between cards/targets, and in turn "foul" the barrel with fouling shots at the start of each new card or target. Most competitors don't follow anyone else's cleaning routine, just their own as they believe their routine works best for their rifle. Asking what they use or how is a common question at matches, but it may/may not make a difference with your rifle. Time at the bench will show you what your rifle prefers in terms of cleaning and seasoning the barrel as you say.

Folks,
I called M. Ezell from France, and i really felt that i was bothering him, requesting where to buy.
Like Jacques, i am awaiting my V22S from my gunsmith, Luc Brouquier.
Here attached my turbo V3 for the french championship.

Patrick
Iceman

you mention a problem concerning Mr. Ezell, this subject has been dealt with and I have apologized to Mike I think the subject is closed.

Reactions: ICEMAN_RIMFIRE
Most competitors clean the bore between cards/targets, and in turn "foul" the barrel with fouling shots at the start of each new card or target. Most competitors don't follow anyone else's cleaning routine, just their own as they believe their routine works best for their rifle. Asking what they use or how is a common question at matches, but it may/may not make a difference with your rifle. Time at the bench will show you what your rifle prefers in terms of cleaning and seasoning the barrel as you say.
Yep, I agree and I have been experimenting trying to find that happy accuracy window.

Thanks for the reply, Do you think this gun is a killer going in to a competition with that squeaky clean barrel? Do you think a barrel needs to be seasoned to become deadly accurate after being cleaned as you described.
I agree 100% with what JimTN said: clean between cards, foul barrel before shooting record bulls, personalize your cleaning protocol.

But wait - There's more:

Why do RFBR shooters clean so frequently? Because carbon and lead is deposited in the leade each time a bullet is fired. This deposit is called a "carbon ring" or a "combustion/lead" ring.

Why do RFBR shooters foul their barrels after they clean? Shooting sighters (fouling shots) after cleaning gives the competitor confidence that his barrel has "settled" after a cleaning. It usually takes a couple of rounds before my rifle starts putting a hole in a hole. Maybe it's solvent residue still in the barrel or perhaps it's a delicate equilibrium required to condition the barrel and establish optimum accuracy.

Knowing your barrel and establishing a cleaning protocol for that barrel is critical. If you've got two rifles you may have two distinctly different maintenance cleaning protocols - one for each rifle.

Finally, what happens when your maintenance protocol fails to achieve this delicate accuracy equilibrium? When (or if) accuracy deteriorates you may have to move from your maintenance protocol to a deep cleaning protocol. Fortunately there's several products that will remove the carbon ring (Bore Tech C4 Carbon Remover, Pro-Shot 1 Step CLP, Birchwood Casey Lead Remover and Polishing Cloth and J-B Non-Embedding Bore Cleaning Compound - there's probably other available products). These products offer a more aggressive approach to cleaning a barrel (removing the carbon ring) and will generally require a lot more than a few fouling rounds before your barrel settles.

I think the goal is to know your barrel well enough to keep it shooting accurately using only a maintenance cleaning protocol. But it's good to know that if your maintenance cleaning proves inadequate you can recover by doing a deep cleaning.

I'll bet the readers of this thread have got a lot to say about my theory - let's hear them!!!!

Norm Flynn

Norm Flynn
Great looking “I like painted stocks” received my 22S at Chicken foot.
Do you have any ejection issues with 22S?
Started getting tuner set last week, it’s been resting for couple months.

shooting second match sat still no tuner but you have to run what you brung. Dont know why poeple are scared to shoot what they got . would have shot ir 50/50 match last Saturday at Sac valley if I didnt have to work

Last edited:
Reactions: GTI
Great looking “I like painted stocks” received my 22S at Chicken foot.
Do you have any ejection issues with 22S?
Started getting tuner set last week, it’s been resting for couple months.
Hello,

You report a problem of ejection, problem of the action or problem with the ammunition?
explained as it can be a concern.

Learning to Shoot. Combo of Technique. Rifle. Rest. Ammo. Wind.
Last week and this week have been my best Match Scores so far. 250-21x last week. 250-20x this week. (I know, slipping...)
Pic of Vudoo Single Shot, Using different rear rest than the pic. Protektor Rabbit Ear, Slick Silver.
Love my Vudoos. Great pieces of equipment. I am just trying to catch up to their potential.
4Certain

Attachments

• Vudoo V22S on 2400 Rifle Rest.jpg
    Vudoo V22S on 2400 Rifle Rest.jpg
    820.5 KB · Views: 177
  • 2021 5 20 Two targets this week and last 5-14 & 5-21. 250-21x; 250-20x.jpg
    2021 5 20 Two targets this week and last 5-14 & 5-21. 250-21x; 250-20x.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 160
  • 2021 5 20 Two targets this week and last 5-14 & 5-21. 250-21x; 250-20x.jpg
    2021 5 20 Two targets this week and last 5-14 & 5-21. 250-21x; 250-20x.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 169
Learning to Shoot. Combo of Technique. Rifle. Rest. Ammo. Wind.
Last week and this week have been my best Match Scores so far. 250-21x last week. 250-20x this week. (I know, slipping...)
Pic of Vudoo Single Shot, Using different rear rest than the pic. Protektor Rabbit Ear, Slick Silver.
Love my Vudoos. Great pieces of equipment. I am just trying to catch up to their potential.
4Certain
perfection!!!!!

without tuner and with which barrel? center x ammunition?
I see no flag, no wind during the game ?

perfection!!!!!

without tuner and with which barrel? center x ammunition?
I see no flag, no wind during the game ?
Yes, Tuner, Harrell's set on 2.05. With Limbsaver Deresonator, bull barrel. Yes Flags but the wind was not fierce. I tend to pay more attention to how shots hit the paper. If tending upper left, I aim lower and right a bit but "do not give the hole away". Pics of gun were in a different time. Just practicing. Targets were from our Thursday AM matches. each week. Wind from right and rear this morning. 22" Shilen Barrel. Received my V22S in December last year. Still learning. First time I have ever shot Benchrest. Shooting Eley Black Box. Weight Sorted. 51.10/.12 grains last week. Heavy, 51.30 to .70 this week. Black Box seems to do better than the Lapua Midas + though it sorts better.
4Certain

Yes, Tuner, Harrell's set on 2.05. With Limbsaver Deresonator, bull barrel. Yes Flags but the wind was not fierce. I tend to pay more attention to how shots hit the paper. If tending upper left, I aim lower and right a bit but "do not give the hole away". Pics of gun were in a different time. Just practicing. Targets were from our Thursday AM matches. each week. Wind from right and rear this morning. 22" Shilen Barrel. Received my V22S in December last year. Still learning. First time I have ever shot Benchrest. Shooting Eley Black Box. Weight Sorted. 51.10/.12 grains last week. Heavy, 51.30 to .70 this week. Black Box seems to do better than the Lapua Midas + though it sorts better.
4Certain
curious, shilen love midas+with wind and I find that currently it is very difficult to find correct Tenex.
how do you find the chambering of the black eley, easy with the thumb or rather difficult?
I read that you counter sight with wind, if the wind is constant in one direction and strength, you take full fly having re-set the reticule and the M+ will go in by itself.
I use balances more than wind vanes and when they are aligned and calm, I shoot.

4Certain
4certain, nice setup and good set of targets. You'll learn quickly. I have an article you can read about how to manage the winds for benchrest shooting. That might help with some background info.

Good luck!

RFS99

Attachments

• Wind Reading - Ron Elbe.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 126
  • Wind Reading2 - Ron Elbe.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 134
Reactions: Cement Bench
4certain, nice setup and good set of targets. You'll learn quickly. I have an article you can read about how to manage the winds for benchrest shooting. That might help with some background info.

Good luck!

RFS99
Thank you, Ron. I will read carefully. I was searching today for info on the wind. Most is much to convoluted... But I realize it is not always 'clean or easy'. Thank you again for posting the documents.
4Certain

curious, shilen love midas+with wind and I find that currently it is very difficult to find correct Tenex.
how do you find the chambering of the black eley, easy with the thumb or rather difficult?
I read that you counter sight with wind, if the wind is constant in one direction and strength, you take full fly having re-set the reticule and the M+ will go in by itself.
I use balances more than wind vanes and when they are aligned and calm, I shoot.
Riberac, I have had no trouble at all chambering Eley. Sometimes it does not go off and will have to shoot again. The Midas+ is softer. I have had troubles with the Eley in my Repeaters. But a combination of, making the mags sit high tight, and using Velcro Loop on the rear of the mag 1/2" below the catch helps rotate the mag nose up and tight. I did do the mag follower modifications that Mike Bush recommended in the Repeater Thread. I like the M+ but it certainly seems to me that I have fewer fliers with Weight Sorted Eley. How much I fade to one side does come from watching the flags. If they are calm, less. If more wind, then I fade...
Vudoo offered the Shilen barrel. One of my 'mentors' recommended that I take that option...
Thank you.
4Certain

Good luck!

RFS99
Thank you Ron for your articles. I enjoyed reading them. Some of the info transfers from the 'pistol competitions' I have and do participate in. Shooting rifles for competition and more specifically Rimfire Benchrest is a new endeavor. But I am enjoying it. Another excuse to shoot a Vudoo! I do have some of Mike Ezell's flags on order. I look forward to receiving them and putting them into service.
Thanks again for sharing your articles.
4Certain

Reactions: Rimfireshooter99
4Certain
Hi 4certain, why do you weight sort the ammos ? what kind of difference did you found on light ammos and heavy one? 22" is short for a barrel ? i ordered 62cms from Mike (like 25" i think)