• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vudoo V-22S Single Shot BR/F-Class Action

I also get FTF with Eley, Match and Tennex. I get no FTF with Lapua or RWS. For what it is worth I also get FTF with Eley in my Annie, and Suhl.

If you are having FTF's, change to a heavier firing pin spring.
I've done that and it helps but it's not a "for sure" thing. It cuts down on them but it doesn't eliminate 'em where as with Lapua I haven't had a FTF yet. (knock wood) Watch, I'll go out tomorrow morning and have 6 of 'em!

There are some nagging FTF issues and I'm working on a solution. I'll do my best to keep everyone posted but for me, it's a rather dynamic situation and things move fast, so if you don't hear anything here, don't worry.

MB

There are some nagging FTF issues and I'm working on a solution. I'll do my best to keep everyone posted but for me, it's a rather dynamic situation and things move fast, so if you don't hear anything here, don't worry.

MB
Mike did the vertical pin shape have fewer FTF's then the current crescent shape or is it a different issue for your design all together?

Reactions: mattt
Mike did the vertical pin shape have fewer FTF's then the current crescent shape or is it a different issue for your design all together?
Stephen, I'm not gauging success (or failure) on the number of FTF's, my pursuit is altogether different. I've found that there's something special about the crescent shape and I'm committed to ensuring you guys understand what that difference is and I've never claimed that any of it would be easy....

MB

I'm sorry to be off topic but as I don't know how to make and send a PM I go through the forum

Norm did you send an @mail to me, I'm afraid you are hacked?
jacques

I'm sorry to be off topic but as I don't know how to make and send a PM I go through the forum

Norm did you send an @mail to me, I'm afraid you are hacked?
jacques
Jacques ... I was hacked - a real mess that I'm still working to straighten out. My primary account has all email redirected to the hackers (in Nigeria). Sorry for any inconvenience. Lesson learned - stronger passwords and suspicion of any emails that request money or access. Norm

I have had my Vudoo single shot since May 15. I shoot in our local matches (ARA, ABRA and Pro Shot 150). I keep a best score target gallery for each of the venues I shoot. After starting using the Vudoo I have replaced the my previous best target with a better target using my Vudoo.
This past weekend I shot my best ARA target, a 2400 using Lapua Midas+ and the 13lb spring with NO FTF shooting approximately 200 rounds in the match. I have been shooting Eley Tenex in my previous matches with the 14lb spring with the occasional FTF. This did not concern me because I also have the same FTF with the Eley in a Kimber 82g, an Anschutz and a Suhl. I just recock and it goes boom the next trigger pull. The Eley ammo seems to like a harder case strike than the Lapua. Mike has given us an system that allows some tinkering with the ignition without resorting to cutting springs to lighten the strike. When you go too far is hard to glue that piece back on. Most bench shooters want the the pin strike to be as light as possible with accuracy the main goal. The pin strike induces a very small vibration in the system. Sitting next to one of the better shooters on the "big stage" I mumbled something about FTF and he replied "I expect to have an occasional FTF". If I am going to use Eley in the next match I will change to the 14lb spring. As the everything breaks in I expect the ignition will improve.

Am I happy with my Vudoo? Would I do it again? You betcha.

May 15 you might have different firing pin then mine . Glad to hear yours is working like any rim fire rifle should
If any body would trade me my eley 10x for lapua i would take them up on it . Point is I paid good money for a rifle that doesnt like it! Didnt see that warning when putting my hard earned hourly made money on order sheet

Last edited:
I have had my Vudoo single shot since May 15. I shoot in our local matches (ARA, ABRA and Pro Shot 150). I keep a best score target gallery for each of the venues I shoot. After starting using the Vudoo I have replaced the my previous best target with a better target using my Vudoo.
This past weekend I shot my best ARA target, a 2400 using Lapua Midas+ and the 13lb spring with NO FTF shooting approximately 200 rounds in the match. I have been shooting Eley Tenex in my previous matches with the 14lb spring with the occasional FTF. This did not concern me because I also have the same FTF with the Eley in a Kimber 82g, an Anschutz and a Suhl. I just recock and it goes boom the next trigger pull. The Eley ammo seems to like a harder case strike than the Lapua. Mike has given us an system that allows some tinkering with the ignition without resorting to cutting springs to lighten the strike. When you go too far is hard to glue that piece back on. Most bench shooters want the the pin strike to be as light as possible with accuracy the main goal. The pin strike induces a very small vibration in the system. Sitting next to one of the better shooters on the "big stage" I mumbled something about FTF and he replied "I expect to have an occasional FTF". If I am going to use Eley in the next match I will change to the 14lb spring. As the everything breaks in I expect the ignition will improve.

Am I happy with my Vudoo? Would I do it again? You betcha.

Lapua Ammos are thicker by 1/10 mm compare to Eley TENEX for information. Sometime, FTF are due to an uncleaned bolt. In this case, you have to clean it internally carefully, with no grease inside, in fact, with no oil inside, just outside with a very little amount of grease on lugs.

Reactions: mattt
I’m
If any body would trade me my eley 10x for lapua i would take them up on it . Point is I paid good money for a rifle that doesnt like it! Didnt see that warning when putting my hard earned hourly made money on
A little research might have gone a long way. Long wait for these guns. I’m sure someone would buy it. I’ve seen ELEY ftf in Stiller 2500 actions as well.

Well mike I have never had A f/tf out of my other 2 bench rifles using 10x . Maybe 2 40+ year old rifles did alittle more testing on there guns before selling them

Well mike I have never had A f/tf out of my other 2 bench rifles using 10x . Maybe 2 40+ year old rifles did alittle more testing on there guns before selling them

I want to start by saying it is a good thing that the interest in these rifles and type of shooting is growing. With that said, it also brings out the true challenge of understanding the intricacies in this game of ultra-precision BR or just those expecting ultra precision in general. The statement above is what is the challenge with a lot of new people getting into the sport and not fully understanding these intricacies. This isn't directed at you Matt, just a good comment to use to hopefully provide some perspective to those that are still new to this. I know there are a lot of people who think all of us BR shooters are know it all's, but this is a good example of what many mean when we say you don't know what you don't know at times. I will try to expound on this. I am not an expert on anything, but will try to point some things to take into consideration.

As a starting point, I think it is important to set the expectation that what I am talking about is trying to wring every last ounce of precision out of these rifles. This post is not Vudoo specific, these concepts go for any true competition rifle. We push these things to be bleeding edge trying to get the most out of them. As with anything when trying to do this, small changes can have a big impact on not only accuracy/precision, but also reliability. I would say it's a fair statement that says the closer you get to ultra precision, reliability of ignition gets worse. The goal is that perfect balance. That's why you hear some of the top shooters say they expect a FTF on fairly regular basis (let's say once or twice in 50 rounds).

With that said, let's look at some of these key area related to chambers and ignition. These are at a somewhat high level and not intended to discuss every aspect of ignition, etc.

1) There are no hard and fast rules.
2) Eley and Lapua have some basic differences in the cartridge sizing/format that can and do affect decisions with how one chambers and configures a build. I am going to keep this very basic.

Lapua

1) Bullet Profile/Chamber Leade angle - Lapua has bit rounder bullet profile. In general, it is believed that a slightly lower leade angle is preferred. The leade angle many recommend for Lapua is 1.5 degrees. Some of us are running 1 degree 45 minutes, but Lapua will also shoot just fine in a 2 degree lead chamber. There is a lot of info out there on this and you can search on the intricacies of these difference. We can then add on seating depth to the equation and things start to get more complex.

2) Rim Thickness - Lapua brass has a bit thicker rim than Eley as also mentioned above. This becomes a factor when we start talking about headspace. Most gunsmiths will ask if you intend to shoot primarily Lapua or Eley. The reason for this is if you do not plan to shoot Lapua, they will headspace the rifle a bit shorter. If you shoot Lapua, many will headspace the gun around .045 +. A rifle with a larger headspace can certainly shoot other ammo, but it may require a bit more spring or other tinkering (pin fall settings, etc) to be reliable. Again there is a lot of info out there on this, you just need to start researching it a bit.

Eley

1) Bullet Profile/Chamber Leade angle -If shooting primarily Eley, most will recommend a 2 degree leade angle due to bullet shape.
2) Rim Thickness - Eley has a thinner rim than Lapua. It will typically be headspaced in the .043-.044 range.

So when we hear that Vudoo's have been "Chambered for Lapua", all that is meant is that Mike has decided what dimensions he feels works best for use with Lapua and they set their guns up at that level. I don't know what those numbers are, but you can expect that it is possible that when shooting Eley with it's thinner rim, that it is possible to get FTF's for a couple of different reasons. It may be a slightly larger headspace in combination with a light spring that doesn't produce as much impact on the rim thus creating FTF's.

If you really want to go down the rabbit hole, then you start getting into bolt internals, rubbing of the firing pins, and more.

So I say all of this to simply get across the point that because you are getting FTF on some rounds, it doesn't mean that there is something automatically wrong with your gun. I can tell that if you want to setup your gun to make anything and everything fire, you can do that, but accuracy will suffer. Maybe for some disciplines, a little less accuracy isn't an issue, but for true BR, a thousandth of an inch on target can win or lose you a match.

This is the challenge with ultra precision shooting. Everything matters and it can require subtle changes between ammo types, etc. If you get a great barrel and have a great lot of ammo, that makes it a lot easier.

Last edited:
I want to start by saying it is a good thing that the interest in these rifles and type of shooting is growing. With that said, it also brings out the true challenge of understanding the intricacies in this game of ultra-precision BR or just those expecting ultra precision in general. The statement above is what is the challenge with a lot of new people getting into the sport and not fully understanding these intricacies. This isn't directed at you Matt, just a good comment to use to hopefully provide some perspective to those that are still new to this. I know there are a lot of people who think all of us BR shooters are know it all's, but this is a good example of what many mean when we say you don't know what you don't know at times. I will try to expound on this. I am not an expert on anything, but will try to point some things to take into consideration.

As a starting point, I think it is important to set the expectation that what I am talking about is trying to wring every last ounce of precision out of these rifles. This post is not Vudoo specific, these concepts go for any true competition rifle. We push these things to be bleeding edge trying to get the most out of them. As with anything when trying to do this, small changes can have a big impact on not only accuracy/precision, but also reliability. I would say it's a fair statement that says the closer you get to ultra precision, reliability of ignition gets worse. The goal is that perfect balance. That's why you hear some of the top shooters say they expect a FTF on fairly regular basis (let's say once or twice in 50 rounds).

With that said, let's look at some of these key area related to chambers and ignition. These are at a somewhat high level and not intended to discuss every aspect of ignition, etc.

1) There are no hard and fast rules.
2) Eley and Lapua have some basic differences in the cartridge sizing/format that can and do affect decisions with how one chambers and configures a build. I am going to keep this very basic.

Lapua

1) Bullet Profile/Chamber Leade angle - Lapua has bit rounder bullet profile. In general, it is believed that a slightly lower leade angle is preferred. The leade angle many recommend for Lapua is 1.5 degrees. Some of us are running 1 minute 45 degrees, but Lapua will also shoot just fine in a 2 degree lead chamber. There is a lot of info out there on this and you can search on the intricacies of these difference. We can then add on seating depth to the equation and things start to get more complex.

2) Rim Thickness - Lapua brass has a bit thicker rim than Eley as also mentioned above. This becomes a factor when we start talking about headspace. Most gunsmiths will ask if you intend to shoot primarily Lapua or Eley. The reason for this is if you do not plan to shoot Lapua, they will headspace the rifle a bit shorter. If you shoot Lapua, many will headspace the gun around .045 +. A rifle with a larger headspace can certainly shoot other ammo, but it may require a bit more spring or other tinkering (pin fall settings, etc) to be reliable. Again there is a lot of info out there on this, you just need to start researching it a bit.

Eley

1) Bullet Profile/Chamber Leade angle -If shooting primarily Eley, most will recommend a 2 degree leade angle due to bullet shape.
2) Rim Thickness - Eley has a thinner rim than Lapua. It will typically be headspaced in the .043-.044 range.

So when we hear that Vudoo's have been "Chambered for Lapua", all that is meant is that Mike has decided what dimensions he feels works best for use with Lapua and they set their guns up at that level. I don't know what those numbers are, but you can expect that it is possible that when shooting Eley with it's thinner rim, that it is possible to get FTF's for a couple of different reasons. It may be a slightly larger headspace in combination with a light spring that doesn't produce as much impact on the rim thus creating FTF's.

If you really want to go down the rabbit hole, then you start getting into bolt internals, rubbing of the firing pins, and more.

So I say all of this to simply get across the point that because you are getting FTF on some rounds, it doesn't mean that there is something automatically wrong with your gun. I can tell that if you want to setup your gun to make anything and everything fire, you can do that, but accuracy will suffer. Maybe for some disciplines, a little less accuracy isn't an issue, but for true BR, a thousandth of an inch on target can win or lose you a match.

This is the challenge with ultra precision shooting. Everything matters and it can require subtle changes between ammo types, etc. If you get a great barrel and have a great lot of ammo, that makes it a lot easier.
Great post!

Reactions: Mikes733
Yes this is a great post. I have mentionned already that LAPUA has a bit thicker rim than Eley. This impact protusion and should be taking into consideration. One option is to make the hanger holes as oblong, so you can move front or rear the hanger to reduce this protusion, according to the ammos you are shooting. Are u with me ? Sometime, change the firing pin spring may be generating other issues. I have prepared successfully bolts and hanger for a Stiller 2500x and Turbo V3, so will do for the vudoo V22s i have ordered to mike. If you have too much protusion in the rim, then the ammo will spread powder residus in the barrel, making lost of precision. Please see the picture attached (definitive flyer there. The hole is all black....) You need to prepare the firing pin or the inside of the bolt itself to accomodate this situation. Definitively, tuning is different if you shoot Eley or Lapua. You have to setup differently the sear engagement also (Bix competition/jewel) , setup the tuner and also the stock screws with the best grouping.....and go to the test range.

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    422 KB · Views: 123
Reactions: Rimfireshooter99
Except that on V22S there is no hanger, the trigger is directly mounted on the cylinder.

I measured the rim thicknesses on 50 rounds of each brand:

XAct 0.040"
M+ 0.040"
Eley black 0.036"
R50 0.039"
If we take into account the head values given by Ozzie we would have remaining clearance values for
Lapua 0.005"
Eley between 0.007" and 0.008"
R50 between 0.004" and 0.005".
The information given by the shooters target the percussion defects on the Eley, we can see that the remaining free space values are more "important" on this brand than on the others.
In my opinion, it's a problem of drop in the speed of the firing pin at the time of the strike on 3/1000" more than on the other brands.
A question can be asked: can the quality of the spring be contested, are the springs for a given load made with the same wire and the same heat treatment?
This depends on the specifications and quality specifications imposed with the same supplier as well as the size of the batch ordered. Does the supplier have the means to ensure quality and verify it?
Mike, it was my job as an aerospace quality engineer that made me say this, but what I can also say is that my gunsmith had similar problems with springs ordered in very small quantities.

For the record, a Calfee "DUKE HAWK" which is in France also has similar problems.

Jacques

Except that on V22S there is no hanger, the trigger is directly mounted on the cylinder.

I measured the rim thicknesses on 50 rounds of each brand:

XAct 0.040"
M+ 0.040"
Eley black 0.036"
R50 0.039"
If we take into account the head values given by Ozzie we would have remaining clearance values for
Lapua 0.005"
Eley between 0.007" and 0.008"
R50 between 0.004" and 0.005".
The information given by the shooters target the percussion defects on the Eley, we can see that the remaining free space values are more "important" on this brand than on the others.
In my opinion, it's a problem of drop in the speed of the firing pin at the time of the strike on 3/1000" more than on the other brands.
A question can be asked: can the quality of the spring be contested, are the springs for a given load made with the same wire and the same heat treatment?
This depends on the specifications and quality specifications imposed with the same supplier as well as the size of the batch ordered. Does the supplier have the means to ensure quality and verify it?
Mike, it was my job as an aerospace quality engineer that made me say this, but what I can also say is that my gunsmith had similar problems with springs ordered in very small quantities.

For the record, a Calfee "DUKE HAWK" which is in France also has similar problems.

Jacques
Jacques,

I think I follow most of what you have written but would like to add some additional information.

The firing pin springs used in Turbos, all versions, and the 10X s all versions, are a science within themselves.

The small coil springs used in these actions are far over stressed. They are actually overstressed when they are placed in the action and even further overstressed when the action is cocked.

To test this one can take a new spring made for these actions and measure it before it is placed in the action. Then install the spring and remeasure 24 hrs. later. You will find the spring will lose about .100 in length. Do this again for another 24 hrs. and you will have a further loss of about .080-.085 more.

Some call this "taking a set". After this initial "set" the shrinkage continues but at a reduced rate.

The point I'm making is these springs are dying from the time they are installed, and they die at varying rates depending on many factors.

Spring management in these actions is required for consistent results. This is all part of maintaining rimfire ignition which is an even more complex subject involving many moving parts.

BTW: the rifle you referred to is " The "Duck Hawk". Built by William Calfee for Tim Miller.

TKH

Reactions: Rimfireshooter99
This is the PAS (pin around spring) vs SAP system (Spring around pin) discussion. The vudoo V22S has SAP system, while Turbo V2/V3 has a PAS system.
Discussion above from TKH is very interesting, i am already doing this in new guns i have, to make them operationnal and avoid too much lapping.

Last edited:
Jacques,

I think I follow most of what you have written but would like to add some additional information.

The firing pin springs used in Turbos, all versions, and the 10X s all versions, are a science within themselves.

The small coil springs used in these actions are far over stressed. They are actually overstressed when they are placed in the action and even further overstressed when the action is cocked.

To test this one can take a new spring made for these actions and measure it before it is placed in the action. Then install the spring and remeasure 24 hrs. later. You will find the spring will lose about .100 in length. Do this again for another 24 hrs. and you will have a further loss of about .080-.085 more.

Some call this "taking a set". After this initial "set" the shrinkage continues but at a reduced rate.

The point I'm making is these springs are dying from the time they are installed, and they die at varying rates depending on many factors.

Spring management in these actions is required for consistent results. This is all part of maintaining rimfire ignition which is an even more complex subject involving many moving parts.

BTW: the rifle you referred to is " The "Duck Hawk". Built by William Calfee for Tim Miller.

TKH
yes I spoke about it with TIM, the rifle would have been sold and then put on sale again and repurchased by a Frenchman, the son of bill ignored it.
on the other hand on a forum whose name I do not remember a historian of the "CALFEE" did not know what Duke Hawk had become, not being able to register on this forum I could never tell him.
Today his original stock has been deposited but preserved preciously.

Tony

In fact the one I was looking for is you, I'm glad, while searching the forums I found the discussion about the Calfee Spec, and you were talking about the missing Calfee so I knew where was DUKE HAWK but I couldn't tell you, it's strange to find yourself on the V22S forum.
Thanks Tony

If any body would trade me my eley 10x for lapua i would take them up on it . Point is I paid good money for a rifle that doesnt like it! Didnt see that warning when putting my hard earned hourly made money on order sheet
My V22-S seems to like Eley Match fairly well, the fly splatter shot made with NO tuner on the rifle. The ABRA (red) target was shot with Eley Match with the tuner installed a couple days later.

Attachments

• IMG_3624.JPG
    IMG_3624.JPG
    321.9 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_3614.JPG
    IMG_3614.JPG
    585.4 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_3633.JPG
    IMG_3633.JPG
    371.3 KB · Views: 204
My V22-S seems to like Eley Match fairly well, the fly splatter shot made with NO tuner on the rifle. The ABRA (red) target was shot with Eley Match with the tuner installed a couple days later.
Jim,

My humble opinion:
on the 3 blazons the grouping is different and scattered, the best would be the 2, I think there is a big job of tuning the tuner because these groupings made with the tuner for me I will not accept them and the Eley Match lot is maybe not terrible...
What I do to try a lot of ammo I draw a vertical and horizontal line on 5 blazons, then I set the reticle of the scope on the fly and I shoot once on the blazon, I change blazon I shoot and so on 5 blazons.
Thus I can observe the position of each impact in relation to the traced cross the reading is clear and is not polluted by several shots fired at the same place. Of course the rifle will be put back in battery before a new shot, it also allows to make measurements of distance or position. Then I shoot 5 shots in the same grouping on another blazon, the cross drawn allows me to place the reticle of the scope and thus be sure to shoot each shot at the same place and see the grouping if it has horns or a good roundness.
the wind conditions were identical?
on the other hand the fly at 100m terrible, I'm kidding.

Sorry but what do you mean by "blazon", possibly the target or bulls eye??? I appreciate your analysis of my groups, the lines drawn on the target could help and I will try this in the future. The purpose of my post was to show that a Vudoo V22-s can/does shoot Eley ammo with good results (depending on your standards). If you are under the impression I've had this rifle long enough to do all the "tuning" needed to make it competitive, sorry but no. I picked the rifle up from the FFL on 7/5/21, and did not install the tuner until 7/16/21. So far I'm tickled that the gun shoots this well with less than 500 rounds down the barrel with a mish mash of ammo.

The fly shot/splatter was shot at 50yds, no tuner, on the 2nd trip to the range. Yes I had wind flags.

The ABRA target I posted above is some of the very first shots fired with the tuner installed on the gun BEFORE any adjustment(s) to the tuner were made. I don't have any ammo dedicated for this gun, nor have I lot tested any ammo for this gun, this is just some Eley Match ammo that I was able to purchase earlier this year, and do not have a single brick of any one lot # of this ammo , just a mix of different lot #'s. I ordered 5 bricks, but every brick (10 boxes) was/is just shrink wrapped, and could have anywhere from 2-10 different lot #'s. Just odd ball scraps left over from 2017 and 2018 per the lot code info. Did I get "took" on my order, possibly, BUT having so many different lots gives me a better idea of whether Eley ammo can be considered a viable alternative during these days of quality ammo not being readily available. These "scraps" are shooting pretty good IMO.

I'm still testing which method/combination of recoil management works the most consistently for the gun & rest.

I'll shoot in the local matches with the ammo I have on hand, and enjoy the company of my friends/competitors.
Is the gun ready to win a match?? Only if I'm the only one at the match and the match director doesn't compete.

Reactions: GTI
Jim,
What I call "blazon" is the target you fired 5 shots at.
I'm sorry, I didn't know that the rifle had just arrived at your place and I also understand the scattering of the groups if you have different batches.
I don't know if it's difficult in the US but in France we ask a supplier how many lots he has and we bring 1 or 2 boxes of 50 ammo of each lot to do the grouping test in real conditions at the range and we choose the lot with the smallest grouping in diameter < 16mm at least and we order the quantity that is available 5000 in principle of this lot.
For me I have the chance to test indoors at 30m which gives me the pace of the grouping at 50m.
what I explained to you on the shooting of 1 blow on each target I make it on the 25 targets of the cardboard and thus I see the dispensation of the blows in each zone of the 10.
a question: do you have difficulties to engage the ammo and close the lock with the eley on the v22s?
I am waiting for my v22s it is blocked at the FFL waiting to leave for France and I am very impatient and of course I will make the first photos of the tests on the site.

35 shoots in the same hole with Midas+
jacques

20181122_145902.jpg

Reactions: Eadle
Thanks for clearing up the blazon terminology, and no problem about the time frame I have had the gun. That was not disclosed in my post.

Prior to C19 virus, the USA was similar to what you described above, order some various lots of ammo and go test, then call back and order/buy the best shooting lot in the quantity you wanted or could afford. Now it's a totally different story here in the USA, if you see it available, you buy it (all you can get) without even thinking about testing it. If you hesitate 30 minutes to check your finances, it's all gone. You test after it arrives, if it shoots just so so, you can sell it for what you have in it or maybe a bit more. If it shoots good, you count your blessings and say a prayer of thanks to the RF gods. You consider yourself lucky if you can get 5 bricks at a time, a case is considered gold right now. The situation is a little bit better now, but if you see it available somewhere, you still buy what you can. It's certainly not like it was pre-C19, but we hope it does improve.

All of my testing is done outdoors, usually early in the morning but I have turned the lights on/off at the range I use for RF as well.

I have not had any hard/stiff bolt closure with the Eley ammo I have shot. I have had a few fail to fire, but a re-cocking of the bolt and it goes off, except for one round that would not go off after 3 strikes.

Jim

I've shot 2 matches with my V22-s on 7/24 &25/21, ABRA outlaw class. Saturday night 4 card 7pm match we had good/calm conditions, shot 193/198/196/195 with odd ball lots of Eley Match ammo I acquired earlier this year. Sunday match was another 4 card at noon, humid, the wind was switchy, twichty and bitchy, shot 190/182/187/194. It came a storm a few minutes after we finished the 4th card. Used the same Eley Match odd ball stuff except for the last card and used some CX I have. I missed several wind calls, and my rifle is NOT "tuned" for the Eley Match I have since what I have is a few boxes of this lot, a few boxes of that lot, etc., basically leftovers from cases opened for test lot sales. The most I have of any one lot is 6 boxes, so I'm shooting these odd ball lots to get rid of them and get familiar with the gun while trying different things to see what it likes and doesn't like.

Improving my wind reading skills is at the top of my "to do" list, LOL

There is another V22-s in these matches, I shot better Saturday night, he shot better on Sunday We are usually pretty competitive with each other. The 198 from Saturday night is my PB.

I've shot 2 matches with my V22-s on 7/24 &25/21, ABRA outlaw class. Saturday night 4 card 7pm match we had good/calm conditions, shot 193/198/196/195 with odd ball lots of Eley Match ammo I acquired earlier this year. Sunday match was another 4 card at noon, humid, the wind was switchy, twichty and bitchy, shot 190/182/187/194. It came a storm a few minutes after we finished the 4th card. Used the same Eley Match odd ball stuff except for the last card and used some CX I have. I missed several wind calls, and my rifle is NOT "tuned" for the Eley Match I have since what I have is a few boxes of this lot, a few boxes of that lot, etc., basically leftovers from cases opened for test lot sales. The most I have of any one lot is 6 boxes, so I'm shooting these odd ball lots to get rid of them and get familiar with the gun while trying different things to see what it likes and doesn't like.

Improving my wind reading skills is at the top of my "to do" list, LOL

There is another V22-s in these matches, I shot better Saturday night, he shot better on Sunday We are usually pretty competitive with each other. The 198 from Saturday night is my PB.
Good for you getting out there with your new rifle is what it is about ! We didnt buy these things just to think about what they might do. Every time you go out and compete it makes you a better competitor no matter ammo used .

I've shot one local match which is 100 yd outdoors. Two targets, 10 shots on each. X is 1" and 10 is 1.5". Won among the local crowd. Highest score for me in this match was 200-16x. I have shot a few 18x with my old v22 repeater. This v22s has a ton of promise but that match, winds were unpredictable. The range where we shoot is challenging to read

We can all learn from each other about these rifles. Please share what yours likes ammo wise and how it shoots. It benefits the rest of us v22s shooters

Mine is still only about 500 rounds in. I only have Lapua stuff. Shot the above score with center x. I tuned the harrels with cx at a sweet spot of .350. I made a poor assumption that I'd I tuned the rifle to cx it would just shoot midas even better. Wrong. I don't have enough midas for the summer to reset the harrels. Will run with the cx until ammo supplies come back around.

What I did notice however, (and looking back I stand corrected, this was the second match I shot with my v22s and the first match was a 200-18x with cx ) I initially shot the rifle with the factory installed spring and no tuner. That's the setup that shot 200-18x and 200-16x. 'tuned' it at 50 yds to a near absolute verticaless group. At 100 the vertical is less than 1" but my wind calling needs some work.

Is this rifle capable of the infamous 200-20x at our match (which there is a kitty that builds up and hasn't been won in about 7 years, if ever)? Hell yeah. Am I? Not so sure. My verticals are about 3/4 moa. My misses are poor wind calls.
When I put the 17# spring in (due to misfires every 10 shots or so with factory installed spring), and put the tuner on, my 100 yd groups weren't as tight. May try going back to lighter spring for next match. I'll just recock and move on with the misfires if my groups are as good as they were.

Mine is still only about 500 rounds in. I only have Lapua stuff. Shot the above score with center x. I tuned the harrels with cx at a sweet spot of .350. I made a poor assumption that I'd I tuned the rifle to cx it would just shoot midas even better. Wrong. I don't have enough midas for the summer to reset the harrels. Will run with the cx until ammo supplies come back around.

What I did notice however, (and looking back I stand corrected, this was the second match I shot with my v22s and the first match was a 200-18x with cx ) I initially shot the rifle with the factory installed spring and no tuner. That's the setup that shot 200-18x and 200-16x. 'tuned' it at 50 yds to a near absolute verticaless group. At 100 the vertical is less than 1" but my wind calling needs some work.

Is this rifle capable of the infamous 200-20x at our match (which there is a kitty that builds up and hasn't been won in about 7 years, if ever)? Hell yeah. Am I? Not so sure. My verticals are about 3/4 moa. My misses are poor wind calls.
When I put the 17# spring in (due to misfires every 10 shots or so with factory installed spring), and put the tuner on, my 100 yd groups weren't as tight. May try going back to lighter spring for next match. I'll just recock and move on with the misfires if my groups are as good as they were.
I'm jealous of you guys! I'm waiting for my top to come back from Farley! Then it goes to Rodzilla so Rod can install his 5 axis top. It's just a waste of ammo to shoot now using someone else's rest. Soooo, I just enjoy reading about what you guys are doing.
Keep shooting!

Reactions: 10ring1

I to believe the blue spring is the best . Tried all 5 springs and the lightest one was the best by far . the wind is the culprit on elevation in groups if it is blowing in a head wind or tailing. Just my 2 cents

10ring1
So far in the last 6 months I build 5 V22S and had FTF in the beginning, and did tried all the different springs, finally in the last 2 months we settle in the 16 lbs. spring, and with over 500 rounds in each one, so far no more FTF.
What I found out, is first you have to removed all the paint from the spring, it will flake off and creates a gunk between the spring and the firing pin bad enough to make it drag, and slow it enough to induce the FTF . Second the tolerance in the bolt assy. are so tight that it requires about 500 to 600 rounds for all the components to wear in and smooth themselves out.
So far all of the 5 rifles each have over 1,500 rounds fired, and no more FTF with either Lapua or Eley ammo. and all were chambered with a reamer set up for Lapua ammo.
Several matches have been fired with this rifles some ARA and some ABRA and doing pretty damm good. I won one ABRA 4 card match with a 196 198 198 198, another customer shot a two day ARA match and came in on 2nd. place againts 22 shooters.
The V22S has great potentials but it does takes over 1,000 rounds to get everything smooth out, and my two cents, stick with the 16 lbs. spring.
Evelio