• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vudoo V-22S Single Shot BR/F-Class Action

Just got the word that the single shot i ordered over nine months ago is ready. Things have changed as health issues with my wife has seriously curtailed my shooting so I’m on the fence about accepting it but it is a dream. Left hand bolt right side ejection, McMillian stock, jewel trigger and Kales scope . I was told the test group at 100 yds with center X was .137. How does that compare with others guns Merry Christmas to all
hi, what barrel did you order?

Been so long and with my wife’s issues i kind of loss track of the specs. I will check tomorrow . How is the test group compared to others

Just got the word that the single shot i ordered over nine months ago is ready. Things have changed as health issues with my wife has seriously curtailed my shooting so I’m on the fence about accepting it but it is a dream. Left hand bolt right side ejection, McMillian stock, jewel trigger and Kales scope . I was told the test group at 100 yds with center X was .137. How does that compare with others guns Merry Christmas to all
Sounds like that may be a 50 yard group size, but you can compare by going to the 6x5 thread in this section, and under current results, you can compare with other rifles at 50 yards, 100 yards, 200 yards, etc. It's a nice set of data for any group size comparisions.

Good luck with the new rifle.

RFS99

Yesterday was rifle cleaning day and the first I have had the Vudoo bolt apart to clean it. I also needed to clean the tuner which I hate doing because it never seems to want to come clean. I tried something new, I used my parts (jewelry cleaner) I have used for cleaning my brass in my center fire with a solution of water and Citranox. I put the weights in pint jars with a view oz of cleaner and water, vibrated them for about 12 minutes. I washed them with water to get the cleaner off, air dried them with compressed air, finally I used a hair drier to get any remaining moisture out just in case. It worked great the weights came out cleaner than I have ever gotten them in the past scrubbing them with all kinds of methods. Next I took the bolt from the Vudoo and repeated the process with the parts from the bolt, keeping the bolt handle out of the solution. Sucess, again clean inside and out, lubed and back together. The bolt defiantly needed cleaning. It would be interesting to hear from you guys how you clean your tuners?
I do the same, except for the tuner. There are some plastic parts that don't like ultrasonic leaners. But for the bolt's part, it is very good, but not too much often. Don't put any lubricant within the bolts, only a small grease applied with your fingers on some parts of the bolt in contact.

Reactions: GTI
That's a great pair, I'll be interested in which one shoots best. the SAP or PAS, one of the guys I shoot with just got a new turbo V3 not sure what barrel it has on it.
Already, i have also a 2500x and the turbo give more points, with the same barrel (Ratchet R5)
As Bill calfee said, the MD/PAS system is in theory superior as ignition system
With the same ammo, i got a 250 and 13x while turbo is 250 and 19x

Yes the test group was fired at 100yds off a front bag using center X . The barrel is one provided by Vudoo by agreement to Hill Country Rifles in New Braunfels Texas and the manufacturer was not told to me ….. but I’m not going to argue with success .137 is better than these old eyes can shoot

Yes the test group was fired at 100yds off a front bag using center X . The barrel is one provided by Vudoo by agreement to Hill Country Rifles in New Braunfels Texas and the manufacturer was not told to me ….. but I’m not going to argue with success .137 is better than these old eyes can shoot
.137" is 3.48mm. The best ever test in the Lapua test tunnel is something in the 9mm range at 50 yards. Of course everyone can show that three shot group in one hole.

Not directed at you, but what they are telling you is BS. Have them shoot 40 rounds at 50 yards and tell us what the result is.

Already, i have also a 2500x and the turbo give more points, with the same barrel (Ratchet R5)
As Bill calfee said, the MD/PAS system is in theory superior as ignition system
With the same ammo, i got a 250 and 13x while turbo is 250 and 19x
That's interesting, looking at the big name shoots this year and following along on Calfees site MD/PAS ignition is proving itself. That being said, I like my Vudoo better and will be trying to kick ass in 2022 against the Turbo's. Two years in a row I have won the club championship one with a V22 and this year with a new V22S. There were 2 new 2500x and several Turbos, one had won the state championship. The stillers had a shilen and muller barrels. In the factory class the Tikka Tx1 is taking top honors with great scores. I purchased one couples of weeks ago and over the weekend took the bolt apart and that is also pin around spring. By the way what does MD stand for? Have you read Calfees book it's a great read?

Reactions: 10ring1
I do the same, except for the tuner. There are some plastic parts that don't like ultrasonic leaners. But for the bolt's part, it is very good, but not too much often. Don't put any lubricant within the bolts, only a small grease applied with your fingers on some parts of the bolt in contact.
I didn't put the dial part of the tuner in the cleaner. I thought that might be pushing it too far. Are there plastic parts in the dial part of the Harrell tuner? I do use a gun oil on the bolt called Gun Pro it's sold by Krieghoff and I use on their guns. I use 12 and 20 gage swabs with Gun Pro to give the bolt bore a wipe they work pretty good, I cut a small oval piece of rubber to put in front of the chamber to protect it from the swab going into far.

.137" is 3.48mm. The best ever test in the Lapua test tunnel is something in the 9mm range at 50 yards. Of course everyone can show that three shot group in one hole.

Not directed at you, but what they are telling you is BS. Have them shoot 40 rounds at 50 yards and tell us what the result is.
My bullets are .2245

I just relayed what they told me and I take it at just that. How it shoots is how it shoots for me figures just figures that make discussion. The proof in the pudding is in the targets you shoot and I know at my age I no long can shoot to the capabilities of the rifle no matter the test group . By the way I trust these folks the built me a great 6 mm creedmore and re bedded my 30 year old 22-250 to impressive groups

Good afternoon Vudoo Friends.
I said I would share my target from today's match. Huge difference from last week.
Even with the wind changing directions 180 degrees back and forth. from the Left, From the Right. And sometime in our face and others from our rear... Quite Switchy...

I went back to the Eley Match. I used the Weight Sorted 51.02/04 grains group.
Shot a 250-20x. Very close to a 22x...
For me, the ammo I use makes a Huge Difference.
4Certain

View attachment 7704515
Hi, I was wandering what spring you're using with the Eley Match ammo? Thanks Keith

That's interesting, looking at the big name shoots this year and following along on Calfees site MD/PAS ignition is proving itself. That being said, I like my Vudoo better and will be trying to kick ass in 2022 against the Turbo's. Two years in a row I have won the club championship one with a V22 and this year with a new V22S. There were 2 new 2500x and several Turbos, one had won the state championship. The stillers had a shilen and muller barrels. In the factory class the Tikka Tx1 is taking top honors with great scores. I purchased one couples of weeks ago and over the weekend took the bolt apart and that is also pin around spring. By the way what does MD stand for? Have you read Calfees book it's a great read?
MD = Momentum Dependent. Meaning ignition is the result of a heavy firing pin developing momentum (PAS), rather than a light firing pin being driven with speed SAP).
PAS = Pin around spring, SAP = Spring around pin.

Speed is needed for faster lock time. Speed has an advantage with handheld rifles. Much less important with rifles fired from a rest. A point of argument SAP vs PAS, is a spring isn't as reliable driving a light pin to an exact speed as it is in moving a heavier pin to an exact momentum. There are other points as well.

MD = Momentum Dependent. Meaning ignition is the result of a heavy firing pin developing momentum (PAS), rather than a light firing pin being driven with speed SAP).

Speed is needed for faster lock time. Speed has an advantage with handheld rifles. Much less important with rifles fired from a rest. A point of argument SAP vs PAS, is a spring isn't as reliable driving a light pin to an exact speed as it is in moving a heavier pin to an exact momentum. There are other points as well.
Interesting, great response, thank you. Since I have gotten into this 22-bench rest and learning about the many aspects of the gun, rests, ammo, wind and wind flags, 22 shooting has really been the challenge I have been looking for.

Reactions: Rimfireshooter99
Good morning Keith.
I use the Strongest Spring that came in the Vudoo kit. And still have an occasional FTF. But normally just re-cock, check my aim and off it goes...
4Certain
I have had my best groups and no FTF with CT-X any lots starting with 27-31, 31 doing the best. I have not had any great sucess with Eley. I am concerned because I am slowly running out of the CT-X. I also have had problems getting the Eley to eject. The Eley case looked to me like it was hit too hard. Keith

What Hozzie said.

@tonykharper

Tony, this is interesting. I have asked before and never really got an answer.

"A point of argument SAP vs PAS, is a spring isn't as reliable driving a light pin to an exact speed as it is in moving a heavier pin to an exact momentum."... This in theory makes sense.

You also mentioned there are other points as well. Can you please elaborate?

Thank you,
Gjmen22

@tonykharper

"A point of argument SAP vs PAS, is a spring isn't as reliable driving a light pin to an exact speed as it is in moving a heavier pin to an exact momentum."... This in theory makes sense.

Thank you,
Gjmen22
Gjmen,

This is a very controversial subject. Nearly every commercial action maker uses SAP, they do that for a reason.

You can easily see the reason(s) by studying the designs.

Of course, you can always test the designs for yourself and develop your own opinion. I would encourage anyone to do that.

At this time, we only have Di Orio building the PAS style Turbo action and I surely hope he continues to do so.

I'll give you just one thing to consider.

If one believes rimfire accuracy is dependent upon consistent ignition, consider this: If a firing pin spring can drive the firing pin for 5-10 years without failing to fire when did that spring reach the point where it fired every round without over driving the pin and creating more vibration than necessary.

Note: A spring is dying from the time it is placed under stress and will eventually fail.

TKH (4628)

For all the talk on numbers here is the test target on my rifle. I don’t care if it is .137 or 10.xxx what I do know is it will outshoot my elderly capabilities and that is important to me. At my age an enjoyable distraction is what I want as I’ve done all the competitive shooting I need to

Attachments

• 967E2A6F-9F2C-44C0-BC2D-4846D1A410A0.jpeg
    967E2A6F-9F2C-44C0-BC2D-4846D1A410A0.jpeg
    525.8 KB · Views: 128
Gjmen,

This is a very controversial subject. Nearly every commercial action maker uses SAP, they do that for a reason.

Of course, you can always test the designs for yourself and develop your own opinion. I would encourage anyone to do that.

At this time, we only have Di Orio building the PAS style Turbo action and I surely hope he continues to do so.

If one believes rimfire accuracy is dependent upon consistent ignition, consider this: If a firing pin spring can drive the firing pin for 5-10 years without failing to fire when did that spring reach the point where it fired every round without over driving the pin and creating more vibration than necessary.

Note: A spring is dying from the time it is placed under stress and will eventually fail.

TKH (4628)
@tonykharper
Thanks Tony, that a lot to think about.
Gjmen22

Idem ici, les vis de réglage semblent vibrer pendant l'utilisation, mais pas de FTF pour moi depuis que j'ai retiré la peinture du ressort FP. Avant de retirer la peinture, j'avais plusieurs FTF, la plupart tiraient au deuxième essai, certains étaient juste ratés, je suppose.

On m'a dit d'utiliser également le loctite violet sur les vis de réglage.
vous pouvez spécifier ce que sont ces vis?
Je vous remercie

For all the talk on numbers here is the test target on my rifle. I don’t care if it is .137 or 10.xxx what I do know is it will outshoot my elderly capabilities and that is important to me. At my age an enjoyable distraction is what I want as I’ve done all the competitive shooting I need to
Enjoy the new rifle, regardless of what size groups it shoots!

Merry Christmas!

Reactions: GTI and Gjmen22
Gjmen,

TKH (4628)
For whatever reason, there's seems to be a lot of talk lately about the availability of Turbo (PAS Style) receivers or should I say the non-availability of them. I can assure anyone who is interested, we are not going anywhere and have no plans to discontinue the production of our Turbo line of receivers and other shooting products. The internet is a funny place where rumor, inuendo or just plain false information pops up, unfortunately, it's the nature of the beast. While true there have been production delays over the past year due to several factors, we manufacture the receivers on a daily basis. Honestly, I welcome the opportunity to significantly increase our yearly production, but the reality of the sales and open order data tell a different tale. We are making changes to distribution of our products in 2022 that I believe will quell some of the misleading perception. I would like to take this opportunity to wish everyone a Merry Christmas & Happy New Year and also thank all of our customers for their patronage in 2021.

Best Regards, Anthony DiOrio

For whatever reason, there's seems to be a lot of talk lately about the availability of Turbo (PAS Style) receivers or should I say the non-availability of them. I can assure anyone who is interested, we are not going anywhere and have no plans to discontinue the production of our Turbo line of receivers and other shooting products. The internet is a funny place where rumor, inuendo or just plain false information pops up, unfortunately, it's the nature of the beast. While true there have been production delays over the past year due to several factors, we manufacture the receivers on a daily basis. Honestly, I welcome the opportunity to significantly increase our yearly production, but the reality of the sales and open order data tell a different tale. We are making changes to distribution of our products in 2022 that I believe will quell some of the misleading perception. I would like to take this opportunity to wish everyone a Merry Christmas & Happy New Year and also thank all of our customers for their patronage in 2021.

Merry Christmas to you also, Anthony, i have your Turbo V3/shilen .850 and soon the same turbo V3/Muller .900 i ordered to LB Precision.
This is great rifle i use for the French championship.

Patrick (France)

Tony, I have two folks I know who ordered rifles from you. One, was delayed several times and finally received the rifle earlier this year. The other is still waiting for you to ship his rifle after several times when you said it would ship in a week. When word of mouth gets out about the delays, and there is no real explanation for why they are delayed, when you said it would ship, that can cause people to wonder if your business is in trouble. So I think you could resolve some of those rumors if you just followed through and deliver your products when you say they will be delivered. I think that would go a long way to resolving any concerns folks might have.

Please take this as a suggestion and constructive feedback, as that the way it is intended. I am very happy to hear the business is stable, and you continue to produce your actions. Some of the best equipment in the industry!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

I see that I am not the only one to have repeated delivery delays as well as various stories to justify them, once again the quality of the work is not questioned, but simply the lack of consideration of a professional for another professional who must inform his clients with sincerity and seriousness, we are still waiting for the delivery of V3 shares which are just waiting to be shipped, but are they really finished !!!
a merry christmas to all and a very happy new year to all

I see that I am not the only one to have repeated delivery delays as well as various stories to justify them, once again the quality of the work is not questioned, but simply the lack of consideration of a professional for another professional who must inform his clients with sincerity and seriousness, we are still waiting for the delivery of V3 shares which are just waiting to be shipped, but are they really finished !!!
a merry christmas to all and a very happy new year to all
I'm having the same issue with FARLEY!

Hello Anthony,
Thank you and Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, I also have a V3 shillen as B Calfee would say: it is a killer !!!!
If you tell me that you can make me one with a Muller I will order it without any fear.
Friendly
Jacques

@tonykharper

Thank you,
Gjmen22
There is a little bit of BS and lots of misinformation in the whole PAS/SAP discussion in the BR world. The only place where it happens to any amount is on CYA. Calfee is a big proponent of PAS ignition systems and an even bigger opponent of anything or anyone else. All of this PAS superiority must be taken with a big grain of salt due to the source. Calfee has made up lots of terms and claims about different aspects of both designs in addition that are misleading at best. In addition, not all SAP actions are the same. Calfee basically states they are all just like the 40X, which is far from the truth. Lets look at the facts first.

MD: This whole "momentum dependent" term is suspect at best. Energy is the basic measuring stick, not momentum. Whether its fast and light, slow and heavy or maybe both, equal energy is equal hit. In order to ignite priming compound, a certain amount of speed is needed to create the internal friction in the material or it "doesn't go bang". Hitting the primer with a truck and squeezing it over 5 seconds will just smash everything and not go off. Lots of position guns have lighter/faster systems and have worked for years. Friction hurts all of the designs, PAS included. Just see how a little bit of lube in the system slows it down and it no longer works. BTW, the PAS design requires lube in all the wrong places and with all the surface inside the pin area is ripe for a lube related ignition inconsistency. Most 40X based designs have nearly equal mass and similar spring forces at cock as the PAS Turbo design. IF MD is good in the Turbo, its basically the same in the 40X, 2500X and Vudoo too. All you really want is a system that consistently hits the primer hard enough and fast enough to light it off without being excessive.

SPRINGS: The statement that springs die a little bit every time and only have the right force for a short time is not inherently accurate. A PROPERLY designed spring will never change its characteristics. After millions of actuations within its limits, a PROPERLY designed spring will still be the same. Go one step down and get a spring that is designed such that it exceeds tensile stress in outer layers, but not by much. That spring will not last for millions of cycles without fracture, but once it takes its initial set, it will not get shorter or loose force. One more step down and now you have a spring that reaches tensile stress limits in all of its layers. THAT spring does continue to degrade. The major contributor to overstress is the OD being smaller than you really want. Guess which design has the smallest OD? I'll jump to the end, PAS. That is one of the biggest drawbacks of this design. There just isn't enough room for the spring to get a properly designed unit in there, so you have to contend with springs that fail. Most SAP design are on the hairy edge. When I did all my centerfire actions, I sent Remington springs to Sterling for analysis and recommendations for my actions. IN the end, I have a design in my actions that are as close to PROPERLY designed as possible in the space inside a bolt. MY springs will not take a set after the initial sizing and keep consistent tension from then on. I am not sure about Vudoo, maybe Mike can add something here. One thing for sure, any 40X type of SAP design has a better spring design then any PAS. That is one of the main reasons I didn't do PAS in the first place.

SLOP and FRICTION. This is very dependent on the designs. I won't speak to all of them here. IN my 2500X design, the shroud is rigidly attached to the bolt and the shroud is bored such that there is never any interference or inconsistency. The 40X is not that way. There are misalignments and slop in the 40X shroud. I minimized surface area inside also, I have about 10% of the surface area that the Turbo does that can cause friction inside the firing pin design. In the 2500X, the spring is installed such that there are no sharp edges that can rub on moving parts as the slide. In the rear spring mount on the Turbo, the edge of the spring will rub on the inside of the firing pin as it drops.

There is so much to go into here that I can't do it all at once. Go look at the equipment lists and make your determination, just look at all of them. Calfee loves to point to the ARA indoor results. Turbo equipped guns did pretty good. HOWEVER, he conveniently jumps over one day earlier on the PSL where 2500X SAP actions dominated.

ANY good action set up properly does a few things right. It has to interface to the stock correctly, hold the barrel firmly and light off the round. All of these customs can do that. Don't let a few mouthpieces try to convince you otherwise.

Jerry,
That was a good explanation of the difference between the PAS and the SAP ignition design. Mr. Calfee keeps bragging about the Turbo actions winning a lot of the big matches, but I may be wrong, but I believe that all this killer Turbos were built in the original Bill Myers Turbo actions not on the new Turbo V3.
I have built a few V3, and also a few 2500X, and they are winning some local matches, but these guys don't travel to the big ones.
In my personal opinion, I think that either one of these actions with a killer barrel, and ammo. and a good driver are perfectly capable of winning National matches.
These is really a Vudoo thread, so I apologize for infringing on it.
Evelio.

Jerry,
That was a good explanation of the difference between the PAS and the SAP ignition design. Mr. Calfee keeps bragging about the Turbo actions winning a lot of the big matches, but I may be wrong, but I believe that all this killer Turbos were built in the original Bill Myers Turbo actions not on the new Turbo V3.
I have built a few V3, and also a few 2500X, and they are winning some local matches, but these guys don't travel to the big ones.
In my personal opinion, I think that either one of these actions with a killer barrel, and ammo. and a good driver are perfectly capable of winning National matches.
These is really a Vudoo thread, so I apologize for infringing on it.
Evelio.
You would be wrong about the turbos. The ones kicking out big aggs and targets are newer turbos, they don't have the cresent pin but they are newer diorio actions. Helps to know the truth

You would be wrong about the turbos. The ones kicking out big aggs and targets are newer turbos, they don't have the cresent pin but they are newer diorio actions. Helps to know the truth
I have ordered the latest turbo's V3 with a muller barrel 4MI. You said that the crescent pin is no longer part of the bolt?
What is different from the previous V3 Turbos?

The original Turbos were made by Flash Ebert. Bill Meyers never made Turbo actions, although he did build a few rifles using them.

The Turbos winning big matches are a mix of old and new. Mike Sherrill (Black Death) shoots a 13 year old Flash Turbo,

as does Larry Parsons (Paladin). Chuck Morrell (Uncle Tom) Di Orio Turbo.

There are also guys winning with the newer Di Orio Turbos.

TKH (4628)

Last edited:
Reactions: Fuckmikebush
The original Turbos were made by Flash Ebert. Bill Meyers never made Turbo actions, although he did build a few rifles using them.

The Turbos winning big matches are a mix of old and new. Mike Sherrill (Black Death) shoots a 13 year old Flash Turbo.

as does Larry Parsons (Paladin). There are also guys winning with the newer Di Orio Turbos.

TKH (4628)
Funny how these things get off track.

Is this a VUDOO thread or did I miss something??
GTI,

Sorry to have caused a distraction. I should have known better than to post anything about PAS vs SAP. It brings out lengthy responses from those with vested interest.

Getting back on subject. I have heard the Vudoo V-22S format has been changed and no longer includes the crescent shaped firing pin.

Can you bring the thread up to date on what changes have been made to those being shipped today?

TKH (4628)

GTI,

Sorry to have caused a distraction. I should have known better than to post anything about PAS vs SAP. It brings out lengthy responses from those with vested interest.

Getting back on subject. I have heard the Vudoo V-22S format has been changed and no longer includes the crescent shaped firing pin.

Can you bring the thread up to date on what changes have been made to those being shipped today?

TKH (4628)
I don't know what's being shipped today but I'll see if I can post a pic of mine if that helps any...

Turboshooter
I really meant to say exactly that. Most of the killer Turbos are the earlier design two lugs, and chisel type firing pins, versus the newer V3.
Evelio.

TKH (4628)

My single shot showed up about 2 weeks ago. Standard shaped firing pin at 6 o'clock.

Exactly, I have finally the answer to my question posed on an older post, my V22S n° 1087 with a vertical firing pin at 6 o'clock

Exactly, I have finally the answer to my question posed on an older post, my V22S n° 1087 with a vertical firing pin at 6 o'clock
Three of my customers ordered new firing pins for the V22S, and all 3 received the 6-o clock chisel point pins, no crescent pins !!!!!! don't know if that is the new format.
Mr. Mike must have done a real Vudoo trick, he just about disappeared ????
Evelio.

Three of my customers ordered new firing pins for the V22S, and all 3 received the 6-o clock chisel point pins, no crescent pins !!!!!! don't know if that is the new format.
Mr. Mike must have done a real Vudoo trick, he just about disappeared ????
Evelio.
I'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong ,but I believe Vudoo has had FTF issues with the crescent pin since the get go. I suspect this pin shape is difficult to be made reliable in SAP ignition though it can be reliable in PAS ignition as I have a V3 TUrbo with crescent pin and have never had FTF issues. You notice I didn't use the MD prefix with PAS as both systems require momentum to deliver a pin strike. Both can be made to deliver consistent pin strikes but the lighter SAP pin must travel at a higher rate of speed than the heaver PAS pin to deliver the same energy. I suggest vibration is the biggest difference in the two. Light fast vs slow heavy. Sorry for getting off on this PAS vs SAP thing. Someone did say it was controversial.

I'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong ,but I believe Vudoo has had FTF issues with the crescent pin since the get go. I suspect this pin shape is difficult to be made reliable in SAP ignition though it can be reliable in PAS ignition as I have a V3 TUrbo with crescent pin and have never had FTF issues. You notice I didn't use the MD prefix with PAS as both systems require momentum to deliver a pin strike. Both can be made to deliver consistent pin strikes but the lighter SAP pin must travel at a higher rate of speed than the heaver PAS pin to deliver the same energy. I suggest vibration is the biggest difference in the two. Light fast vs slow heavy. Sorry for getting off on this PAS vs SAP thing. Someone did say it was controversial.
How do we measure pin strike depth? What tool do we use?

How do we measure pin strike depth? What tool do we use?
Just use a calliper, the depth gauge. FYI, tenex is 3/10 mm depth penetration according to Eley. On a turbo, you can setup the pin strike depth in moving backward and forward the trigger's hanger wich has oblong holes on it. On a 2500x, there are 2 positions, the small hole in front position is the lowest percussion strongness, For the vuddo, i don't know, still awaiting for it to be ship to France by the FFL.

Last edited:
Reactions: fredfish