• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vudoo V-22S Single Shot BR/F-Class Action

The rest is an Arnold with the roller top. The roller tops are available on both
@DRACO

Thanks for the intel.

Are there rollers on the sides and bottom? I cannot tell from the photo. Anyway, I have lusted after a one-piece rest with roller bearings after @Tiger_Shilone 's results with a one-piece roller bearing rest. Have sent an email to Cliff. Perhaps he can make a light enough rest by removing some metal or perhaps by modularizing the rest so it can be disassembled for transport and reassembled for shooting. If that not possible there is the T-REX.

Rick

Rick
Here are the roller tops on my two rest. As the Arnold is an older model I can not attest to his current model being the same.

Attachments

• DDADD33D-1004-4667-A4F5-DDDDD0216912.jpeg
    DDADD33D-1004-4667-A4F5-DDDDD0216912.jpeg
    392.5 KB · Views: 103
  • B3A20072-9722-454A-BFFD-EC3B91BB2E6C.jpeg
    B3A20072-9722-454A-BFFD-EC3B91BB2E6C.jpeg
    323.3 KB · Views: 108
Reactions: rick137
Rick
Here are the roller tops on my two rest. As the Arnold is an older model I can not attest to his current model being the same.
@DRACO

If I read the photos correctly, the Arnold has rollers on both the sides and bottom while the T-Rex only on the bottom. It also appears the lateral supports of the Arnold can be adjusted. I will not be using a true Benchrest Stock but a Foundation Centurion which has a forend width of 2.6".

Many thanx for the time and effort to take the photos.

Rick

@DRACO

If I read the photos correctly, the Arnold has rollers on both the sides and bottom while the T-Rex only on the bottom. It also appears the lateral supports of the Arnold can be adjusted. I will not be using a true Benchrest Stock but a Foundation Centurion which has a forend width of 2.6".

Many thanx for the time and effort to take the photos.

Rick
Rick. The T Rex has the rollers on the sides and pad supports on the bottom.
The Arnold uses spring tension while the TRex is manually tensioned. I had to add a small plates to the TRex so it would adjust down to the stock on my CZ

Rick. The T Rex has the rollers on the sides and pad supports on the bottom.
The Arnold uses spring tension while the TRex is manually tensioned. I had to add a small plates to the TRex so it would adjust down to the stock on my CZ
@DRACO:

You are communication with someone who did not know what a socket head cap screw was until he started shooting. I presume spring tension means the lateral support adjusts to the width of the forend. However the amount of force applied to the forend by the spring depends of the width of the forend unless the spring tension is adjustable. Or the differences in tension from different widths are small enough not to matter.

What I do know is that you do not want the recoil to create a type of torque, because that will cause a rotation of the barrel . So it seems to be the lateral force from side support on the forend are damn important. If the forend moves and the side forces on either side of forend are not equal in magnitude and direction, the frictional force will not be equal and that will create a torque. So I presume getting the side forces right, perhaps tuning them is the correct term, is all important. That is the reason for my question.

Rick

Reactions: Fuckmikebush
On my Arnold the right side is adjustable but not spring loaded. I set it so the gun is centered. The left side is spring loaded and adjustable for tension and width. This is an old picture and doesn't show the adjusters.

1004 (Medium).JPG

Reactions: fredfish
Rick
It is important to note: the Supports on the T-Rex are small Sand Bags. This is critically important in some settings.
4Certain

It is important to note: the Supports on the T-Rex are small Sand Bags. This is critically important in some settings.
4Certain
Are those little sand bags independently adjusted to make it level? Haven't seen one with the double rollers and tiny sand bags like that.

Are those little sand bags independently adjusted to make it level? Haven't seen one with the double rollers and tiny sand bags like that.
Good afternoon TurboShooter;
The Little Sand Bags are glued to a metal shelf that is held on by a bolt. The Geometry keeps them the same on Each Side. The leveling of the rest is done by the feet on the bottom. See pic of Little Sand Bags attached. I understand it is 'required' by many shooting venues that the gun rest on Sand Bags. And that is what you have on the T-Rex, all be it little ones...

I absolutely Love my T-Rex. It has helped my shooting. It is an Incredible piece of equipment.
4Certain

Little Sand Bags on T-Rex.jpg

Anyone using Holeshot rear mechanical rest? Not joystick. I can't find measurements, reviews anything ! HELP please? After I put on Greenlaw top I have to put front rest all the way down to shoot 100yds. from 200yds
with very little adjustment from front leg. Dr. Protektor rear bag.
Fred

Who makes the T-Rex? When you Google T-Rex Mechanical Rests all you get are dinos.

Anyone using Holeshot rear mechanical rest?

I am -- it's wonderful being able to make fine adjustments from the rear of the rifle. Our local precision matches are shot from benches, but they don't allow the front and rear rest to be attached to each other. Using the Holeshot rear with a really good front rest gets me as near to a true benchrest setup as possible and still be compliant with the rules. I was the first at the local matches to use the Holeshot, but now there are four more being used among the frequent competitors. Highly recommended.

@Panther

Many thanks for the intel.

Held my breath reading the specs. Weight of 21 lb is at the top of my back's limit.

Rick

I am -- it's wonderful being able to make fine adjustments from the rear of the rifle. Our local precision matches are shot from benches, but they don't allow the front and rear rest to be attached to each other. Using the Holeshot rear with a really good front rest gets me as near to a true benchrest setup as possible and still be compliant with the rules. I was the first at the local matches to use the Holeshot, but now there are four more being used among the frequent competitors. Highly recommended.
My club 2 piece rest also. How high is at its lowest? No measurements on line. Does the back V cut roller turn or is it just for sliding? Thx
Fred

My club 2 piece rest also. How high is at its lowest? No measurements on line. Does the back V cut roller turn or is it just for sliding? Thx
Fred

If you didn't use the corner threaded pins and had it flat on the bench, the bottom of the Delrin groove is about 3-3/8" above the bench and add another 1/2" above that to the top of the Delrin piece -- but figure that your rifle stock (like my Vudoo's Grayboe Ridgeback) will fit somewhere in between that; so the lowest possible is MUCH lower than any typical rear bag would be and you're unlikely to run it that way. The Delrin V-piece doesn't roll, it is only for sliding over.

Last edited:
If you didn't use the corner threaded pins and had it flat on the bench, the bottom of the Delrin groove is about 3-3/8" above the bench and add another 1/2" above that to the top of the Delrin piece -- but figure that your rifle stock (like my Vudoo's Grayboe Ridgeback) will fit somewhere in between that; so the lowest possible is MUCH lower than any typical rear bag would be and you're unlikely to run it that way. The Delrin V-piece doesn't roll, it is only for sliding over.
Thank you

Unless I'm mistaken, the McWoody & McWalnut finishes are molded-in to the gel coat, not painted on. All the McMillan stocks I've custom ordered over the years have had the molded-in finish, and it's a great way to go, even if it's more expensive than any of their painted finishes.

@Panther:

You are using a Grayboe Ridgeback for benchrest competition or F-Class or perhaps both? If for benchrest, what are giving away by not using a dedicated benchrest stock like the McMillan Kestros?

Rick

You are using a Grayboe Ridgeback for benchrest competition or F-Class or perhaps both? If for benchrest, what are giving away by not using a dedicated benchrest stock like the McMillan Kestros?

Good question, but nothing, I think. The Ridgeback works for me in multiple disciplines. I have an Anschutz rail on the bottom of the Ridgeback's front with a Sinclair Benchrest Forend Rail Adapter attached to it. I use this same adapter on my all rifles that compete in various rimfire competition classifications that shoot prone or from a bench. This rides wonderfully on the FClassProducts MOD TOP that is on my SEB front rest. With the HoleShot mechanical rear rest, it works great with all my competition rimfires and is legal in almost all local match competitions in which I compete (occasionally I have to change to a front bipod when required).

Who makes the T-Rex? When you Google T-Rex Mechanical Rests all you get are dinos.
Good afternoon Rick137.
Not sure anyone answered you. T-Rex is made by Rod Brakhage. He is a prince of a fellow. Good shooter. Excellent machinist.
The T-Rex combines the best of a number of excellent rests. I have been super impressed with mine.
Here is the link: https://therodzilla.com/product/t-rex-front-rest/
Best of luck.
4Certain

2021 9 29 T Rex Rodzilla Rest w-Single Shot in MPA.jpgT Rex Right side w- Single Shot in MPA Chassis.jpg

Does anyone know of a video which shows shooting with a one-piece rest free recoil? Plenty on one-piece non-free recoil or shoulder recoil, whatever it's called, I couldn't find anything on free recoil.

Many thanks for any intel.

Rick

Does anyone know of a video which shows shooting with a one-piece rest free recoil? Plenty on one-piece non-free recoil or shoulder recoil, whatever it's called, I couldn't find anything on free recoil.

Many thanks for any intel.

Rick

Try this , maybe what you're looking for.

That is not free recoil either. The guy is using a bungee cord to retard rear movement.

True free recoil is when one only touches the trigger hard enough to fire the rifle. No contact with the rifle anywhere else other than the guides.

TKH (4628)

Tony do you have a better video that illustrates "true free recoil". Yes it being retarded by a bungee ,but his shoulder is not dug into the gun either. The gun is still allowed to recoil just not as fast and it goes back. I would still consider it free recoil cause he's not touching the gun.

Gents:

Thanks for the intel. Spot on.

The immediate question that comes to mind is if you are using a rest with roller bearings, could the friction be so low the rifle would recoil out of the rest.? Perhaps, since F=ma, with a lot of m and little F with 22LR, the acceleration would be small, hence the velocity, hence the reward motion slow enough you could stop the rifle before it came out of the rest.

Shooting benchrest is going to be fun. Physics in action.

Rick

Gents:

Thanks for the intel. Spot on.

The immediate question that comes to mind is if you are using a rest with roller bearings, could the friction be so low the rifle would recoil out of the rest.? Perhaps, since F=ma, with a lot of m and little F with 22LR, the acceleration would be small, hence the velocity, hence the reward motion slow enough you could stop the rifle before it came out of the rest.

Shooting benchrest is going to be fun. Physics in action.

Rick
That's exactly why they use the bungee cords. It most definitely will recoil right off the top and when paying 5k$ for br gun you don't want it to slip off. Some use the roller tops and have great success, some lock the gun down completely with no recoil whatsoever. It's all a matter of what your gun likes

Another question. Does a roller bearing top provide the best tracking but the least attenuation of vibration? A bag top, not as rigid, provides lesser tracking but more attenuation of vibrations. Which is optimal? I know the usual answer is "it all depends". The fine print underneath all depends is it all depends on many factors, perhaps some unknown, but with the known factors not well understood quantitatively. The solution is experimentation, a big word coming down to buy-and-try.

However, over the course of decades have some empirical observations stood the test of time? Or are there just more opinions than "facts"?

Anyway, since my foray into benchrest shooting is about experimentation, not competition, I am ready to give it a go.

Another question. Does a roller bearing top provide the best tracking but the least attenuation of vibration? A bag top, not as rigid, provides lesser tracking but more attenuation of vibrations. Which is optimal? I know the usual answer is "it all depends". The fine print underneath all depends is it all depends on many factors, perhaps some unknown, but with the known factors not well understood quantitatively. The solution is experimentation, a big word coming down to buy-and-try.

However, over the course of decades have some empirical observations stood the test of time? Or are there just more opinions than "facts"?

Anyway, since my foray into benchrest shooting is about experimentation, not competition, I am ready to give it a go.
I use a bag on my one piece rest, I found my gun didn't like delrin or roller bearing tops. It is literally what your gun prefers just like tension on the gun to retard recoil. I have never felt like i was behind the 8ball by using a sand bag top. There are still a few top shooters in ara that use sandbag tops. It's easier to run a bungee cord so you don't have to keep pushing the gun forward after each shot with a roller top or even a delrin top. This is just one mans opinion though and doesn't represent what the majority of shooters are using. Experiment and find out what makes your gun preform at its best. Sam

Cliff isn't the only one that makes rest or tops. Just cause that's what Cliff likes doesn't mean that's what your gun will like. I see everything from delrin button tops, fuzzy button tops,rollers, delrin disk, the list goes on and on. What is most prevalent is roller tops and fuzzy button. Then again it all comes down to what your particular gun likes. Experimenting with tops can get expensive so try and find used one if possible.

Cliff isn't the only one that makes rest or tops. Just cause that's what Cliff likes doesn't mean that's what your gun will like. I see everything from delrin button tops, fuzzy button tops,rollers, delrin disk, the list goes on and on. What is most prevalent is roller tops and fuzzy button. Then again it all comes down to what your particular gun likes. Experimenting with tops can get expensive so try and find used one if possible.
Yes

Finally got mine yesterday ordered in Aug. for 1/14/22 delivery. Today just cronograph from 10 different ammo. Center X is best so far with lowest SD. Very hard closing bolt on, Eley Match, SK long range, Midas +?,Federal Gold Medal, couple others. Center X is what it really liked. I didn't like the bolt at all today. Loose, gritty, chatter right out of box I don't think it got any better today. Annie much better + cheaper. Give it hell tomorrow to see how it shoots. Chrono.is Magnetospeed so ammo wasted. BIX n Andy, Benchmark 24", right bolt left feed.
IMG_2138.jpg

Yes, the Anschutz bolt is WAY smoother right out of the box. The Vudoo takes a few hundred rounds to even get part way to the Anschutz smoothness. As nice as the Vudoo is, they really could do better in that regard.

Reactions: Jaybird 220
Yes, the Anschutz bolt is WAY smoother right out of the box. The Vudoo takes a few hundred rounds to even get part way to the Anschutz smoothness. As nice as the Vudoo is, they really could do better in that regard.
I tried again today, if I grab the oversized knob its sticks, hard to close etc.. If I go further up handle or put my thumb on the back of bolt it closes like a dream. I'll try grease. I brought to range today a couple seasoned shooters had the same option .
Fred

I tried again today, if I grab the oversized knob its sticks, hard to close etc.. If I go further up handle or put my thumb on the back of bolt it closes like a dream. I'll try grease. I brought to range today a couple seasoned shooters had the same option .
Fred

Exactly... and even mine, 500 rounds later, is like that... smooth now, but putting any angular pressure on it still tends to bind it up slightly.