• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vudoo V-22S Single Shot BR/F-Class Action

At range today, my bolt had a really hard time with Midas, it refused to close 6-7 times. I slowly ejected that round and loaded again, no problem at all. Got home, cleaned bolt head, wet Qtip for around and in chamber then dried. Not enough rounds to clean bore. Lubricant build up? Didn't happen 2 days ago.

At range today, my bolt had a really hard time with Midas, it refused to close 6-7 times. I slowly ejected that round and loaded again, no problem at all. Got home, cleaned bolt head, wet Qtip for around and in chamber then dried. Not enough rounds to clean bore. Lubricant build up? Didn't happen 2 days ago.
Carbon Ring.

Mine did the same with Midas. It was fine with Eley. I cleaned it well and will try again next time out. I clean the barrel every time so I do not see how a carbon ring can form.

Reactions: fredfish
How do you know you're removing the carbon ring? Unless you're using a solvent made for carbon you most likely aren't removing it. I and a lot of br shooters use c4 by boretech. Works very well , wet a patch let it sit in the chamber for about 20 to 30 mins. and then nylon brush with a patch to swab it a little should be good to go. Works for me just saying. Sam
If the carbon ring form in the camber or just after (in rifling) that means the barrel has to be cleaned?? Last time I cleaned it took a good while to season!

Three of my Vudoo repeaters have Kriegers that I fitted & chambered, another one was purchased as a bbl'd action direct from VGW with a Bartlein - all these are cut-rifled barrels. All four barrels needed 100-200rds to smooth the leade to the point where they stopped collecting any lead fouling which required use of a bronze bore brush to remove. After that, a periodic check with a Hawkeye borescope showed when they needed the bronze brush again to remove carbon ring and/or streaking on the lands.

Regardless of how few rounds I'd fired during a range session, they always got wiped out with as few as a couple of patches of Ed's Red, followed by a couple of dry patches. I sometimes had to use 3-4 wet patches before one would come out clean enough to convince me I was done, but that was usually after a session where I'd shot some Eley or Federal GMM mixed in with SK or Lapua. I also have a couple of V22S rifles - one with a Benchmark 3-groove, the other with a Shilen ratchet, both chambered with a Nevius reamer, while the repeaters were all chambered with an EPS. The round counts on the single shots aren't much past 250-300rds yet, and I've needed to brush both at least once to that point. I don't usually see it taking more than 5-10rds of SK or Lapua for any of these bbls to 'settle' after being brushed, so even with the short supply of either SK or Lapua ammo, I don't feel it's a factor that would make me reconsider cleaning the bores of my .22s after every outing. I spent a lot of good money and put a fair amount of effort into barreling these rifles - the idea of not cleaning for hundreds or even thousands of rounds is not something I would ever consider doing, especially with how quick and easy it is to wipe a 22RF bore out. I'm not the sort of individual who 'loves' to clean my rifles - cleaning an AR barrel and BCG is a chore, and after many years of shooting AR15 service & match rifles in HP matches, I don't look forward to cleaning them - but it still gets done.

Last edited:
Shooters, if you are interested in shooting a few postal matches with your Vudoo's, come on over and check these matches out:

Thanks,

RFS99

Shooters, if you are interested in shooting a few postal matches with your Vudoo's, come on over and check these matches out:

Thanks,

RFS99
Mike
How much would/should Turing bolt/spring lock, 1 turn in, effect depth of pin strike?
(sorry to change subject.)

Mike
How much would/should Turing bolt/spring lock, 1 turn in, effect depth of pin strike?
(sorry to change subject.)
I have it out 3 turns, with 2 turns - could see dent in rim didn't go bang. I read someplace on this forum red is best?

It's been a couple of month or more ago that I last watched Mike's video on VGW dealing with adjusting the firing pin, but IIRC, he said the threads on the pin were 64tpi. Divide 1 by 64, and you get .015" per revolution on the pin. I kept screwing (literally) with the original crescent-shaped pin on my V22S, and decided to stay with two revolutions out from dead-ending it. Seems like I had to go to the heaviest or next to heaviest spring that came with the action to get reliable ignition. I don't have a clue how consistent the striker adjustments would be between actions - IOW, would the same two turns out from dead-end result in the same amount of striker pin protrusion? I'd like to think that these CNC produced actions & striker assemblies are very consistent, to the point that any variation from one action to the next would be so minor that it could be disregarded.

Since VGW has stopped shipping single shot actions with the crescent pins in favor of the chisel tipped pin, unless a poster here specifies which style pin he's using, the info on how many turns out from dead-end is probably not going to be very useful.

It's been a couple of month or more ago that I last watched Mike's video on VGW dealing with adjusting the firing pin, but IIRC, he said the threads on the pin were 64tpi. Divide 1 by 64, and you get .015" per revolution on the pin. I kept screwing (literally) with the original crescent-shaped pin on my V22S, and decided to stay with two revolutions out from dead-ending it. Seems like I had to go to the heaviest or next to heaviest spring that came with the action to get reliable ignition. I don't have a clue how consistent the striker adjustments would be between actions - IOW, would the same two turns out from dead-end result in the same amount of striker pin protrusion? I'd like to think that these CNC produced actions & striker assemblies are very consistent, to the point that any variation from one action to the next would be so minor that it could be disregarded.

Since VGW has stopped shipping single shot actions with the crescent pins in favor of the chisel tipped pin, unless a poster here specifies which style pin he's using, the info on how many turns out from dead-end is probably not going to be very useful.
Flatland1. Which brand ammo are you using and spring color?
I am using 15# spring with the chisel point pin at 2 turns out and am getting deep impression on Eley ammo that is consistent. Thinking of going to 14# spring. Looking to get .013 -.015 pin strike depth.

I shoot mostly SK & Lapua ammo, but have tested a few rounds of Eley black. In the older V22S, I've still got the 2nd gen crescent striker, with the green spring (16lbs), and 1 turn out.

I had an extra 2nd gen crescent striker sitting in the cabinet, so pulled the chisel striker and tried the crescent one in the 2nd V22S. I finally got tired of messing with it in that rifle, and put the chisel striker back in. Wound up with the red spring (14lbs) and 2 turns out to get away from FTF.

It's been a month or more since I've had a chance to shoot either rifle, and since my note keeping skills suck, I don't recall now whether I had any FTF issues with Eley in either rifle with those springs & settings. They're both chambered with a Nevius reamer, and neither shot as well with the couple of lots of Eley Match I tried as they have with SK Std+, SK Rifle Match, and the lot of Lapua Center-X that I bought after sending a V22 repeater to Mesa to be lot tested a couple of years ago. So I'm not terribly anxious to buy & try more Eley in the Benchmark & Shilen barrels on these two rifles. Would rather send or take them to Mesa at this point...although I'd prefer to wait until next winter as soon as I can get an appointment.

Last edited:
I usually push a cartridge in with fingertip - never worry about whether it's all the way in or not, since my Nevius chambers engrave the bullets at least .040". Haven't seen anything on paper that gives me any reason to believe there would be much if any advantage to pushing rounds in any further than far enough to make sure they're aligned with the chamber, and there's no chance of putting any side load on the round by closing the bolt.
How is that Nevis chamber shooting at 50 yards? Do you shoot ARA targets

I've bought a couple of packages of the ARA targets, and had shot several of them back before I re-barreled the original V22S with a Benchmark 3-groove, but haven't shot on any of the ARA targets yet this year. No doubt in my mind that shooting really good 5-shot groups is easier than shooting really good scores on any of the targets that require a shot on a different bull each time.

I have good confidence in the Nevius chamber at 50yds - will be shooting the new smallbore prone V22S in prone bullseye smallbore matches, so will be at both 50 & 100yds with it. May wind up putting another Pro-X tuner on it if I feel the need...

I've bought a couple of packages of the ARA targets, and had shot several of them back before I re-barreled the original V22S with a Benchmark 3-groove, but haven't shot on any of the ARA targets yet this year. No doubt in my mind that shooting really good 5-shot groups is easier than shooting really good scores on any of the targets that require a shot on a different bull each time.

I have good confidence in the Nevius chamber at 50yds - will be shooting the new smallbore prone V22S in prone bullseye smallbore matches, so will be at both 50 & 100yds with it. May wind up putting another Pro-X tuner on it if I feel the need...
flatland1, if you're in need of some Mini-Palma action, I have a 100 yard match you can try out for fun. Check it out if you're interested...

RFS99

After shooting my 223 Ackley bolt gun at our monthly PRS match, I decided to relax and spend some time with my Vudoo single shot on the 200 meter range.

I put a new Rodzilla top on my SEB NEO rest and wanted to just get some rounds across it to see how I am going to like it.

It tracks absolutely incredible. Vey happy with it so far. Hitting coffee can sized targets at 220 yards was pretty easy.

Vudoo SS, right bolt, left port. Shilen Ratchet, 16 twist, MTU contour. Bix and Andy 2 ounce trigger, McM stock, S&B 5-25 scope.

I have another stock for it, a Cerrus F-Class wood stock with CF stringers. But it will be a while before the stock doc is done with it. Time will tell which stock I will prefer more.

The only other change will be 7/8-24 muzzle threading for a Thunderbeast Ultra 5 suppressor and an ATS tuner. Maybe a Flavio trigger.

Nq3SVbs.jpg

Thanks for your response. Why do you think the Pro-x will do better in the wind? Are you using a tuner now? I use Harrell tuner now with the extra weight. I struggle in the wind and finally got my first 2,000 plus targets on our last 2 card match.

I have Harrells & Pro-X tuners on V22 repeaters, and another Pro-X on my 1st V22S. I don't know that one is superior to the other in the wind - has anyone tested them against each other in windy conditions? It might appear that the larger ID of the Pro-X wouldn't shield a bullet from a cross wind as well as a Harrells would, but the main advantage I see with the Harrells is the click adjustments and how easy it is to see the numbers on the black anodized Harrells compared to the extra-fine engraved scale on the Pro-X,

Any tuner in and of itself has nothing to do with the wind so it doesn't matter which one you use. They all work on the same principle, some just have more features than the other.

In ARA, most now use the Holeshot as it has the locking studs, but the ProX may as well. I am not super familiar with it. The Harrels doesn't have locking studs, but that isn't the end of the world either. Some support the use of a bloop tube, others may not. The bloop tubes could be argued to have some affect as it protects the bullet leaving the bore for longer.

Basically, it comes down to the granularity of the adjustments and what you prefer. If someone tells you one is better in the wind than another they have no idea what they are talking about. Tuners are for timing adjustment of the bullet leaving the bore of the rifle during a node cycle. It has nothing to do with wind.

After shooting my 223 Ackley bolt gun at our monthly PRS match, I decided to relax and spend some time with my Vudoo single shot on the 200 meter range.

I put a new Rodzilla top on my SEB NEO rest and wanted to just get some rounds across it to see how I am going to like it.

It tracks absolutely incredible. Vey happy with it so far. Hitting coffee can sized targets at 220 yards was pretty easy.

Vudoo SS, right bolt, left port. Shilen Ratchet, 16 twist, MTU contour. Bix and Andy 2 ounce trigger, McM stock, S&B 5-25 scope.

I have another stock for it, a Cerrus F-Class wood stock with CF stringers. But it will be a while before the stock doc is done with it. Time will tell which stock I will prefer more.

The only other change will be 7/8-24 muzzle threading for a Thunderbeast Ultra 5 suppressor and an ATS tuner. Maybe a Flavio trigger.

Nq3SVbs.jpg
Hozer,
That is a very nice set up !!
Congrats !!
Gilbert

flatland1, if you're in need of some Mini-Palma action, I have a 100 yard match you can try out for fun. Check it out if you're interested...

RFS99
Thanks for posting the link to the targets again RF99 - I printed the unlimited 50yd & 100yd Mini Palma ones out, as well as the other textual info. Living out here in the sticks, this may well be the only form of competition that I can shoot easily, without driving a few hours. To tell the truth though, all these consecutive triple-digit days are keeping me from doing any shooting right now. I try to get any & all farm work that requires me to be outdoors done early in the day - which is the only time I've got any desire to be shooting right now. This just isn't a good summer - for shooting or anything else I can think of. It's burning up all the non-irrigated crops across not only Kansas, but eastern Colorado, Oklahoma, and Texas - the lucky folks up in Nebraska have had quite a few more showers than us. Maybe we'll get some relief from the heat & drought before winter hits - who knows?

Thanks for posting the link to the targets again RF99 - I printed the unlimited 50yd & 100yd Mini Palma ones out, as well as the other textual info. Living out here in the sticks, this may well be the only form of competition that I can shoot easily, without driving a few hours. To tell the truth though, all these consecutive triple-digit days are keeping me from doing any shooting right now. I try to get any & all farm work that requires me to be outdoors done early in the day - which is the only time I've got any desire to be shooting right now. This just isn't a good summer - for shooting or anything else I can think of. It's burning up all the non-irrigated crops across not only Kansas, but eastern Colorado, Oklahoma, and Texas - the lucky folks up in Nebraska have had quite a few more showers than us. Maybe we'll get some relief from the heat & drought before winter hits - who knows?
flatland1, I completely understand. Glad you can use these when you get a break from your chores! I can't shoot here in SE Wisconsin when it gets into the 90's with high humidity. I can't imagine trying to shoot in the conditions you're going through. Let's hope that the weather breaks, gives us all a little rain and cools down just a bit!

I have a question for you. Have you shot at 200 yards before? I have a match that we used to use, called the Texas Mosquito. 200 yards, on two separate bulls. 5 shots on each, scored for both accuracy (how close are the 5 shots to the Mosquito in the center of the bull) and precision (group size). If you're interested, I can post the info and you can give it a try. I might add this to the match menu for next season, if there is enough interest to keep the matches going through next year. It's quite a challenge for folks who like the longer distances. I think my best group size on this match was about 1.5 inches, on a very calm day.

Keep shooting!

RFS99

RFS99 - Yep, the match director at the nearest PRS-type 22RF matches likes to throw in some 200-330yd stages most months, so I've shot both my old original V22 & new 360 repeaters at those distances with some regularity. I haven't tried changing the settings of my tuners from the 50yd setting when moving back, since both rifles shoot tighter, more round groups at 200 with them hanging off the muzzles. Your mosquito target sounds interesting. I also downloaded some 800, 900, & 1000yd mini palma targets 15 or years ago that were - if memory serves - quite a bit larger than the ones that you have posted. Seems to me as though they were intended for use at 200yds IIRC. I may still have a few of them set aside somewhere - will do a little digging through stacks of stuff to see if I can come up with them.

Gilbert, it will be interesting to see if it performs differently from the other V22S rifles you've had.

Yes Glenn you are right.
I brought the rifle to the range last week end. As said, I am only starting some ammo testing and my stash of good ammo, at the moment, is limited to only one lot of Center X and one lot of Midas plus. ( I also have some Eley target but it does not shoot very well.) I did not keep targets but I did shoot some groups that were very nice with the Midas plus.
For the moment I shoot with no tuner. I am thinking of a Harrel tuner along the way.
I will do some more testing in the forthcoming weeks and publish targets.
Gilbert

Reactions: Rimfireshooter99
This week I shot my V22S in my club's monthly RFBR match. Conditions were excellent and I shot a personal best and won the Unlimited class.
I used Eley Match ammo and my Arnold one piece rest. This was my first use of this lot of ammo and it looks good.
My Vudoo sports a Shilen 24" ratchet barrel, McMillan Kestros stock, Flavio Fare trigger, Holeshot tuner, and NF 42x44 scope.
1660228245155.jpeg

Last edited:
I have an Ezell tuner -- I had Mike Ezell put me together a threaded 1/2x28 version, and I actually use just that single tuner on several of my competition rimfire rifles, of course changing to the setting that each rifle/ammo combination did best at. Mike Ezell is a very interesting guy to talk with (even though slightly wordy), and I learned a lot in our two phone conversations. I don't know if his "particle dampening technology" (PDT) application here is really meaningful or not -- and I guess I don't care because I do know that his tuner has been easy to optimize, and is easy for me to use on multiple rifles. It performs, including on my Vudoo and CZ rifles, reducing vertical (or oblique) stringing.

Does it work any better than a Holeshot or Harrell tuner? Probably not, but I have no complaints with its appearance, cost, or functionality, especially since it's threaded too.

Last edited:
Reactions: JimTN
Hello

To change the pin, did you have difficulties to loosen the 0.05" BTR screws
Thank you for your answer
jacques

For those of you who use a tuner with set screws like the ATS and others, do you use a specific torque setting for the set screw?
What do you guys recommend?
Appreciate any replies, thanks.

For those of you who use a tuner with set screws like the ATS and others, do you use a specific torque setting for the set screw?
What do you guys recommend?
Appreciate any replies, thanks.
I asked this question a while back. No specific torque setting. What I decided was tighten till it won’t rotate by hand. In other words, don’t over tighten.

Hello

To change the pin, did you have difficulties to loosen the 0.05" BTR screws
Thank you for your answer
jacques
If you are referring to the firing pin, the small set screws should not be all that tight, and when you are ready to tighten them back down, Mike bush states to just "snug" them down. there is a video on the bolt dis-assembly and assembly at the vudoo website, or on youtube.

Reactions: Williwaw
Question about action and bolt lube, can Anschutz ceramic gun coating be used to lube, action, bolt and firing pin? How about barrel before 1000 rounds?

Reactions: jim p
Shooters, if you're looking for a long distance match, check out this new match that starts in September. Shoot 200, 300 or 400 yards, or all three. Check it out...

RFS99