• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vudoo V-22S Single Shot BR/F-Class Action

I like the idea of cross testing UBR rifles on the 6x5 as well as shooting our factory rifles on the ARA UBR tgt which is much harder than the factory ARA tgt. My local club hosts a weekly fun shoot at night where we normally shoot only stock factory repeaters off of sand bags (bipods are also allowed). These are mosly 50y matches using the IBS rimfire tgt or sometimes the ARA factory tgts. The competition is fierce and guys are shooting many Win 52's, Anschutz 54/64's as well as Sako, Bruno, and Coopers. Now we are seeing some purchase VuDoo V22's just to shoot this fun shoot event. I can count 6 or 8 nationally ranked rimfire BR shooters among the regulars. It is a great place to learn and compete. It is not unusual to see perfect 250's if the winds are not too crazy. I once shot a 250 with 20x for a club record only to be beaten in the next relay by a multi-time past national champion who shot a perfect 250 with 22x's. I am looking forward to seeing how the Vudoo performs in that cut throat match, lol. One night each month we open this match up to unlimited run what you brung and allow the mechanical rests to be used. Other than seeing single shot elite rifles in the mix, the results are not that different. A well tuned repeater off of sand bags or bipod is not much of a handicap in my opinion.

Be aware, traditional front bags will not work.
The ones required slide into the top grooves once you remove a side plate & engage the bottom recess’ . Pull off the side plate and all will be clear.

Sounds good, thanks again Tim....

MB

I am looking forward to having a picture of mine soon in a badass stock from Jamie at BBRS Custom Stocks.

Good morning Guys. A question from a Newby to this sport.
What would be the down side to putting the V22S in a Masterpiece Arms MPA BA Chassis with a good rear bag rider and a good front one?
Is a Chassis/Aluminum Stock less forgiving than a than a traditional BR Stock? BR Stock absorb shock?? What are the pros and cons?
Thank you for your thoughts. 4Certain
Bag Rider Front for MPA Chassis.jpg
Bag Rider Rear MPA  BA Chassis.jpg

Reactions: Ranger007
Where did you get the front bag rider? I've been looking for quite a while for one with an Arca mount.

What would be the down side to putting the V22S in a Masterpiece Arms MPA BA Chassis with a good rear bag rider and a good front one?
Is a Chassis/Aluminum Stock less forgiving than a than a traditional BR Stock? BR Stock absorb shock?? What are the pros and cons?
Thank you for your thoughts. 4CertainView attachment 7426608View attachment 7426609

Right now I am running my repeater in an mpa setup for BR. Works great in my one piece rest, but you are correct about the chassis causing a shockwave. I had to start putting my hand on the rifle to dampen it. Tuesday night's ARA match I did the best i have ever done. 2250, 2150 and freak 2400...Our scorekeeper looked that card over a number of times. That was a crazy night and we had started shooting just after a bad storm and the air was awesome. Back to the mpa, I have also had to add weight to keep it from bouncing on the nose. My rest is unforgiving!

Where did you get the front bag rider? I've been looking for quite a while for one with an Arca mount.

Good morning phlegethon. I have made several. Purchase components and assemble. Purchased the Arca Rail Clamp from Midway. The one on the above pic came off an Area 419 Front Bag. Pic below is another version with UHMW. The Aluminum Bag Rider above came from www.TargetShooting.com. Wally Brownlee. He has 3" wide and 4" wide. I have found the longer ones seem to work better.

Just carefully align. Drill and Tap. Used mostly 10-32 Stainless Flat Head or Oval Head Machine Screws. Aluminum plate as filler and or for stiffness. 4Certain

Attachments

• Bag rider UHMW for MPA Chassis.jpg
    Bag rider UHMW for MPA Chassis.jpg
    731.2 KB · Views: 93
I am running the MPA front slider, made for BR or F-class and bolt to the chassis. I am also running the same bag rider you are!

Reactions: 4Certain
I am running the MPA front slider, made for BR or F-class and bolt to the chassis. I am also running the same bag rider you are!

Thanks Marks A18138. I saw the MPA Front Slider but could not tell how it worked or attached. Can you take some pics?
I do like that Rear Slider. Tried the other one. It was good. Like this one better.
Thank you. 4Certain.

Thank you for your thoughts. 4CertainView attachment 7426608View attachment 7426609
IMHO the most important question to ask is "What kind of shooting will I be doing?" If you're shooting traditional rimfire benchrest matches, i.e., ARA, PSL, ABRA, IR-50/50 or BP-150 and are shooting off of a one piece rest you're probably going to want a legitimate, i.e., McMillan Edge, TomMeredith, Precision Woodcraft RO-Tex stock. Chassis and the majority of Grayboe stocks VGW offers ride very high in the rest of a one-piece rest.

If you're shooting other venues, i.e., PRS, F-Class you'll probably have other considerations ... pick your discipline and see what the top shooters are using. Usually, there's a method to their madness.

If you're shooting other venues, i.e., PRS, F-Class you'll probably have other considerations ... pick your discipline and see what the top shooters are using. Usually, there's a method to their madness.
Going F-Class here in south Texas, and the image below is my photo-shopped mock-up of my specified rifle now in production, Vudoo V22S 22LR Single Shot Right Hand Barreled Action Right hand, Right port, ACE, 22" 60Sear, 0-MOA-R:

grayboe_Ridgeback_stock_brown-with-black-web.jpg

Hi Mike. I know the chamber in the V22S is different from the V22 (which is Lapua oriented, if that is the correct term). I don't know about everybody else, but I am trying to purchase ammo while it is still somewhat readily available, and can be shipped from one state to another regularly freely. What brand of ammo do you think will perform best in the V22S? I know you stated it is not so oriented to Lapua, but is it more oriented to Eley, or will it depend on the individual action, as to how it performs with any ammo. I am just not that familiar with the Win 52D chamber and which ammo it likes best. If it is more Eley "centric, " would it be worthwhile stockpiling some Eley, even without sending it off to the Eley range to get lot specific ammo numbers?

Hi Mike. I know the chamber in the V22S is different from the V22 (which is Lapua oriented, if that is the correct term). I don't know about everybody else, but I am trying to purchase ammo while it is still somewhat readily available, and can be shipped from one state to another regularly freely. What brand of ammo do you think will perform best in the V22S? I know you stated it is not so oriented to Lapua, but is it more oriented to Eley, or will it depend on the individual action, as to how it performs with any ammo. I am just not that familiar with the Win 52D chamber and which ammo it likes best. If it is more Eley "centric, " would it be worthwhile stockpiling some Eley, even without sending it off to the Eley range to get lot specific ammo numbers?
Chambers for .22LR firearms are generally described as sporting, Bentz or match. Match chamber dimensions are tighter than sporting and Bentz chambers. It’s safe to say that all the highly accurate bolt action .22LR chambers are cut to match dimensions. Pacific Tool and Gauge (PTG) offers at least twenty different 22 Caliber Rimfire Reamer options including “Win 52D match” and “Eley EPS”.

Chambers are machined to accept various .22LR cartridges. Sporting chambers will accommodate a wide variety of .22LR ammo including high velocity brands (like CCI Stingers) that may have longer cases. The Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturing Institute (SAAMI) established specifications for .22LR cartridges in 1979 that provides firearm and ammunition designers specifications that ensure safe operation of ammunition in various firearms. Each of the various SAAMI specifications is “maximum cartridge / minimum chamber” ... for instance, the spec for rim thickness is 0.043” - 0.007”. In my experience, Eley rim thickness is a nominal 0.038” and Lapua is 0.041”. There is a difference and it’s up to the person cutting the chamber to decide just how tight the chamber will be. Chambers are generally cut to accommodate variations in specs from at least the ammo manufacturers the shooter will consider using in a particular rifle.

Now, with this preamble to the question of “what brand of ammo will perform best in the V-22S?” Anticipated “performance” must be defined. What is the shooter’s expectation? Will the rifle be used for plinking, for hunting, for positional competition (NRL22), for long distance (currently out to 500 yards for the ELR record) or for competitive rimfire benchrest competition? Each of these disciplines will have specific performance expectations. Ammo that is effective in hitting a 12” steel plate in the wind, at distances greater than 300 yards might be different than ammo used to consistently hit an aiming dot (thin “head of a pin”) consistently during a six card ARA match - that’s one hundred-fifty rounds.

In Vudoo’s V-22S marketing strategy the notion of “target” versus “match” has been coined to differentiate between factory production rifles, i.e., target and rifles built by accomplished gunsmiths, i.e. match. The difference, anticipated accuracy and precision, would be higher in a match rifle than a target rifle.

Assuming we’re selecting ammo for a match rifle, would the V-22S perform better with Eley or Lapua? Remember, the V-22S is an action and when we’re talking about the chamber, we’re talking about the barrel. If we’re talking about a V-22S target barreled action you’re referencing how the chamber is machined and, I believe VGW has stated there chamber is “based on” the Winchester 52D chamber.

Back to the question of brand performance. Eley (Tenex and Match) and Lapua (Midas + and Center X) are generally accepted as the best performing ammunition, i.e., consistent point of impact which translates to higher target scores in rimfire benchrest competitions (ARA, PSl, ABRA, IR-50/50 and BP-150). It’s interesting to note that in the recent ARA Nationals Tournament Eley was used by 59 competitors versus Lapua being used by 34.

On any given day, there may be an individual shooter preference to Eley or Lapua but most competitors won’t commit to one brand - instead they will lot test, specific to their competition rifle, ammunition from both Eley and Lapua. They’ll chose the ammo that shoots better in a specific rifle, often times verified prior to each match. They may have ammo they feel performs better in certain environmental conditions - temperature and wind being the two most significant.

My advice to Cmkaco about ammo purchase while ammo is “still somewhat readily available” which is, no doubt, based on a panic driven response to uncertain political times, is to buy as much of the best, either Lapua or Eley, that you can afford. But don’t expect your purchase will perform the very best in a rifle you have yet to take delivery. The best performing ammo in your rifle will be the result of lot testing.

Ammo selection for the most rigorous rimfire competition is an agonizing process that takes a lot of time and costs a lot of money. Serious competitors lot test, literally hundreds of lots each year, in hopes of finding those “magic” bullets they feel is “killer” ammo that can win in the highest level matches.

Most rimfire benchrest competitors will acknowledge that a winning competitive rifle build requires a well designed and produced action mated to the best-of-the-best barrel that’s shooting ammunition capable of consistently shooting five round groups at 50 yards in center-to-center extreme spread in the 0.10 to 0.15” range.

It’s up to the individual shooter - from plinker to national champion - to establish the performance expectations necessary for their application.

Ozark Shooter, thanks! That was a great, and very informative answer. Always lots to learn, and I was a bit in the dark about chambers and fit. I have been buying Lapua Center X, and SK Match for my Vudoo V22 repeater, every so often. I wouldn't say it was panic driven, but would call it being wisely prepared, in advance, to have an adequate supply of ammo, should political and market factors make acquiring ammunition even more difficult than it already is. As it is now, it is difficult to find regular plinking ammo (CCI SV), but luckily, I purchased sufficient supplies for what I thought my needs would be.

With regard to the V22S, my understanding, based solely on reading this entire thread, was that Vudoo was producing a target rifle, and that actions or barreled actions could be purchased for delivery to gunsmiths who would make match rifles, BUT, that both of those barreled actions would be the same. By that I mean, if you were to buy a barreled action to be sent to a gunsmith, the chamber used, and the action itself are going to be exactly the same as the action and chamber that Vudoo would use to make a complete rifle. For a guy like me, who is just getting into benchrest, and am not competitive at all, but would just like to go to the range and shoot for accuracy, buying the complete rifle from Vudoo is probably the way to go, but I would like to be certain that down the road, if I wanted a different stock, and maybe would like to be more competitive, I would not be hampered by the action I bought. I understand that barrel selection and preparation would make a huge difference in the two rifles, but let's assume that, as a beginner, I don't know enough, and don't shoot well enough that selecting one out of a number of similar barrels would make a difference to me.

Chambers for .22LR firearms are generally described as sporting, Bentz or match. Match chamber dimensions are tighter than sporting and Bentz chambers. It’s safe to say that all the highly accurate bolt action .22LR chambers are cut to match dimensions. Pacific Tool and Gauge (PTG) offers at least twenty different 22 Caliber Rimfire Reamer options including “Win 52D match” and “Eley EPS”.

Chambers are machined to accept various .22LR cartridges. Sporting chambers will accommodate a wide variety of .22LR ammo including high velocity brands (like CCI Stingers) that may have longer cases. The Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturing Institute (SAAMI) established specifications for .22LR cartridges in 1979 that provides firearm and ammunition designers specifications that ensure safe operation of ammunition in various firearms. Each of the various SAAMI specifications is “maximum cartridge / minimum chamber” ... for instance, the spec for rim thickness is 0.043” - 0.007”. In my experience, Eley rim thickness is a nominal 0.038” and Lapua is 0.041”. There is a difference and it’s up to the person cutting the chamber to decide just how tight the chamber will be. Chambers are generally cut to accommodate variations in specs from at least the ammo manufacturers the shooter will consider using in a particular rifle.

Now, with this preamble to the question of “what brand of ammo will perform best in the V-22S?” Anticipated “performance” must be defined. What is the shooter’s expectation? Will the rifle be used for plinking, for hunting, for positional competition (NRL22), for long distance (currently out to 500 yards for the ELR record) or for competitive rimfire benchrest competition? Each of these disciplines will have specific performance expectations. Ammo that is effective in hitting a 12” steel plate in the wind, at distances greater than 300 yards might be different than ammo used to consistently hit an aiming dot (thin “head of a pin”) consistently during a six card ARA match - that’s one hundred-fifty rounds.

In Vudoo’s V-22S marketing strategy the notion of “target” versus “match” has been coined to differentiate between factory production rifles, i.e., target and rifles built by accomplished gunsmiths, i.e. match. The difference, anticipated accuracy and precision, would be higher in a match rifle than a target rifle.

Assuming we’re selecting ammo for a match rifle, would the V-22S perform better with Eley or Lapua? Remember, the V-22S is an action and when we’re talking about the chamber, we’re talking about the barrel. If we’re talking about a V-22S target barreled action you’re referencing how the chamber is machined and, I believe VGW has stated there chamber is “based on” the Winchester 52D chamber.

Back to the question of brand performance. Eley (Tenex and Match) and Lapua (Midas + and Center X) are generally accepted as the best performing ammunition, i.e., consistent point of impact which translates to higher target scores in rimfire benchrest competitions (ARA, PSl, ABRA, IR-50/50 and BP-150). It’s interesting to note that in the recent ARA Nationals Tournament Eley was used by 59 competitors versus Lapua being used by 34.

On any given day, there may be an individual shooter preference to Eley or Lapua but most competitors won’t commit to one brand - instead they will lot test, specific to their competition rifle, ammunition from both Eley and Lapua. They’ll chose the ammo that shoots better in a specific rifle, often times verified prior to each match. They may have ammo they feel performs better in certain environmental conditions - temperature and wind being the two most significant.

My advice to Cmkaco about ammo purchase while ammo is “still somewhat readily available” which is, no doubt, based on a panic driven response to uncertain political times, is to buy as much of the best, either Lapua or Eley, that you can afford. But don’t expect your purchase will perform the very best in a rifle you have yet to take delivery. The best performing ammo in your rifle will be the result of lot testing.

Ammo selection for the most rigorous rimfire competition is an agonizing process that takes a lot of time and costs a lot of money. Serious competitors lot test, literally hundreds of lots each year, in hopes of finding those “magic” bullets they feel is “killer” ammo that can win in the highest level matches.

Most rimfire benchrest competitors will acknowledge that a winning competitive rifle build requires a well designed and produced action mated to the best-of-the-best barrel that’s shooting ammunition capable of consistently shooting five round groups at 50 yards in center-to-center extreme spread in the 0.10 to 0.15” range.

It’s up to the individual shooter - from plinker to national champion - to establish the performance expectations necessary for their application.

AH, for the vast....vast majority of serious match shooters, this is simply not true, nor possible.
There are a handful that are able to test most/many lots, the vast majority simply cannot, nor do you need to. A combination of reasonable lot testing of a few lots, some decent networking skills will get you pretty much there.

How many guys reading this thread do you believe possess national level equipment or skillset to require the best of the best in ammo ? Also, if you mostly shoot fun, club stuff, tighter budget, the 80% stuff works OK
If you have not clue one about how ammo works you have a couple straight forward options.
#1 you send your gun to the ELEY or Lapua test tunnel, you buy ammo more expensive than you probably need which is still a shitload cheaper trying to test a ton of lots without ( for most rookie guys) the experience to get the best bang for the buck and a productive result.
#2 you call a guy like Clint Swiggert or KSS for some thoughts basedon what you’re running for a barrel which, at least, gets you pointed in the right direction.

This really is not mission impossible to score decent, match winning capable ammo with a bit of effort.

The single biggest “secret” here is buy the best you can which boils down to ELEY match or Tennex, and Laupa CenterX. The average lots these days is damn good and the best lots....as good as ammo ever gets. Virtually anything else, even though some is good, ain’t going to run, day in, day out, with this stuff.

Remember, there are more black art, secret science, only the select few chosen by God or the secret cabal of Jewish bankers bullshit ammo stories on the interweb than actually exist.......it ain’t that tough guys.

Last edited:
It’s always good to have an inventory of ammunition - I’ve found that after the protests/riots in May 2020 generic ammo (both rimfire and centerfire) was harder to find and more expensive. Fortunately, the high end .22LR ammo has been easier to source and prices have remained stable. Eley and Lapua ammo remains available so a demanding shooter can buy a couple of boxes of several lot #s, test it and still buy a case or more before it’s sold out.

My understanding of the V-22S action aligns with yours - actions intended for target rifles as well as match rifles are built to the same specs.

Customer orders delivered as barreled actions will be chambered to VGW specs - we understand the reamers to be “based on” the Winchester 52D. Actions may be equivalent but barrels are not. Two barrels are offered in VGW’s “Now Taking Orders” document - Ace and Shilen R0. Think of barrels the same way you think about different lots of your favorite competition ammo. There’s stories about champion RFBR competitors who buy as many as fifty barrels, chamber them all, mount them on actions, put ‘em in their rifles and test them with ammo they trust. Out of fifty, maybe ten or so will stay in their personal inventory, others will either be built into rifles and sold to us “mere mortals” who can still appreciate them and the remainder will be used as tomato stakes. You get the idea.

I think rifles built from barreled actions sold by VGW would be called “target” rifles. Think about it ... the only thing left to do with a barreled action is to install a trigger, attach it to a bedded stock (or chassis), add a tuner and a scope and you’re off to the races. Zero the scope, set the tuner, lot test and buy some ammo and you’ve got a great target rifle. You might even have a rifle that would qualify to be called match grade.

Actions intended for building “match” rifles will no doubt go to one of a number of competent gunsmiths (see the PSL or AMA equipment lists for gunsmith credits) who will chamber one or more barrels, install a trigger, a stock, a tuner, put a scope on the rifle and shoot it. A custom build might not be acceptable to the gunsmith or the shooter so a second barrel might be installed and tested. A gunsmith attempting to build a championship rifle might go to other extremes like tuning the ignition to get the rifle to shoot to its potential. That amount of rigor put into building a match rifle commands a higher price ... but it may not guarantee you a championship rifle. There’s a lot more to winning at a national level than just the rifle.

The V-22S action that Mike Bush has designed has a couple of unique features that make it well suited to further tuning - bolt disassembly without the need for tools and an assortment of firing pin springs - 13, 16 and 18 lbs, I believe. A gunsmith building a match rifle (or the end user) can test the rifle using these springs and then fine adjust the spring tension to further tune the ignition.

Knowing Mike Bush and how competent a design engineer he is would lead me to believe that barreled actions coming out of the factory, that are sold as target rifles could very easily meet whatever VGW defines as match grade. Time will tell ...

I think it’s safe to say that, should you buy a complete build from VGW, you would not be hampered if you evolve from a casual shooter/competitor to a more serious level. Most serious RFBR competitors carry at least two rifles to important competitions - their number one rifle that they hope will shoot the best and the backup that can be competed if necessary.

AH, for the vast....vast majority of serious match shooters, this is simply not true, nor possible.
There are a handful that are able to test most/many lots, the vast majority simply cannot, nor do you need to. A combination of reasonable lot testing of a few lots, some decent networking skills will get you pretty much there.

How many guys reading this thread do you believe possess national level equipment or skillset to require the best of the best in ammo ? Also, if you mostly shoot fun, club stuff, tighter budget, the 80% stuff works OK
If you have not clue one about how ammo works you have a couple straight forward options.
#1 you send your gun to the ELEY or Lapua test tunnel, you buy ammo more expensive than you probably need which is still a shitload cheaper trying to test a ton of lots without ( for most rookie guys) the experience to get the best bang for the buck and a productive result.
#2 you call a guy like Clint Swiggert or KSS for some thoughts basedon what you’re running for a barrel which, at least, gets you pointed in the right direction.

This really is not mission impossible to score decent, match winning capable ammo with a bit of effort.

The single biggest “secret” here is buy the best you can which boils down to ELEY match or Tennex, and Laupa CenterX. The average lots these days is damn good and the best lots....as good as ammo ever gets. Virtually anything else, even though some is good, ain’t going to run, day in, day out, with this stuff.

Remember, there are more black art, secret science, only the select few chosen by God or the secret cabal of Jewish bankers bullshit ammo stories on the interweb than actually exist.......it ain’t that tough guys.
You may be correct about the "vast majority of serious match shooters, this is simply not true, nor possible." but that's certainly not been my experience. The guys that I find myself shooting against - often national PSL or ARA champions or contenders put a lot of effort into ammo selection. I agree with you that networking skills and consortium testing make the "ammo chase" much easier but it's still challenging.

Again, I agree that casual shooters competing in club matches or guys on tight budgets won't need to chase killer ammo as hard. It's the dedicated competitor that is never satisfied with his results that will go to extremes to win.

Got the call last week! My Vudoos for my son and me are coming! Almost exactly on top of the 9/15 anticipated delivery date! Have all the scopes and other stuff ready and waiting! So excited!

Got the call last week! My Vudoos for my son and me are coming! Almost exactly on top of the 9/15 anticipated delivery date! Have all the scopes and other stuff ready and waiting! So excited!
Oops posted in the wrong Vudoo thread. Mea maxima culpa!

Reactions: Rimfireshooter99

I'm going with an MPA BA.

I'm curious if the faster twist barrels are available for this rifle and if anyone selected one or if they went with the standard 1:16?

Anyone getting one built in a 3 position, prone, or f-class style stock? With aperture sights?

I'm curious if the faster twist barrels are available for this rifle and if anyone selected one or if they went with the standard 1:16?

Anyone getting one built in a 3 position, prone, or f-class style stock? With aperture sights?
My wife's rifle will have a kestros and my rifle will have BBRS Customs stock from Jamie! Our rifles will mainly be used for Smallbore F-Class and little BR.

Last edited:
Reactions: Woodoo and CoolJJ
Yes they are there. Hoprfully I'll get the call soon.
Interesting in that the literature does not mention a 6 o'clock firing pin.

Come on Vudoo, give us at least an approximate release date.

I was in the first 30 ordered, and should be shipping next week.

As said above, release announced on their website.

Oh excuse me press release ,you would think you would have that info on your site. Lmao

Actually, what I would think is, you'd be able to recognize that when you clicked on the single shot on the website, it took you to the Barreled Action page, which is a two lug repeater that doesn't have six o'clock ignition....LMAO

There's a linking issue on the site that we're working on, along with a multitude of other things required to serve our customers.

MB

Come on Vudoo, give us at least an approximate release date.

Sorry Travelor, been quite busy and haven't been online much. We received a key component that lacks the latest revision, so I'm running the CNC in the lab around the clock to add the revision. The first of the revised part is shipping overnight to St George today and rifles will be shipping NLT this time next week.

MB

Sorry Travelor, been quite busy and haven't been online much. We received a key component that lacks the latest revision, so I'm running the CNC in the lab around the clock to add the revision. The first of the revised part is shipping overnight to St George today and rifles will be shipping NLT this time next week.

MB
Question, latest Revision of what ? Did find something in testing that needed to be changed ?

Question, latest Revision of what ? Did find something in testing that needed to be changed ?

I won’t get into the technical details as my intent was to answer Travelor’s question. The bottom line is, when I like what we’ve done, we’ll be shipping. If I don’t like it, I/we will work around the clock and on weekends to make it what it should be.

Back to the CNC now....

MB