• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vudoo V-22S Single Shot BR/F-Class Action

I have asked for a Right Bolt/Left Port, Shilen/Flavio barreled action only. I am an amateur stock maker, so have that part covered. I am aware that the Shilin/Flavio combo will be a fair wait, but I have an Anschutz 1913 in a bench stock that is working well to keep me busy. I am a "retired" F Open shooter, and have taken up Rimfire BR, and really enjoying the challenge.

Out here, we also have a 200 yard bench match known as the "Fly" shoot using .22RF. It is also shot at 500 meters in Centre Fire.

It is a score and group shoot. Each detail is 3 sighters (any order) and 5 on the target to count. Score out of 50, group out of 10, possible score is 60.5, but to get an "x", you have to hit the "fly" . A shot between his legs, does not get you a "fly"

The Vudoo will be my Fly Gun

Have a look at the records
One of our local gun clubs (Huntsville, TX) has a relationship with the Australian Fly Shooters and competes the match up to four times each year. A rimfire postal match I manage with another RFBR shooter designed a 200 yard rimfire version of the match we call the "Texas Mosquito". We measure group size and "ring count". Great Fun!!!

Bobeager ... your Vudoo should make an excellent "Fly Gun"

Reactions: Ranger007
I have asked for a Right Bolt/Left Port, Shilen/Flavio barreled action only. I am an amateur stock maker, so have that part covered. I am aware that the Shilin/Flavio combo will be a fair wait, but I have an Anschutz 1913 in a bench stock that is working well to keep me busy. I am a "retired" F Open shooter, and have taken up Rimfire BR, and really enjoying the challenge.

Out here, we also have a 200 yard bench match known as the "Fly" shoot using .22RF. It is also shot at 500 meters in Centre Fire.

It is a score and group shoot. Each detail is 3 sighters (any order) and 5 on the target to count. Score out of 50, group out of 10, possible score is 60.5, but to get an "x", you have to hit the "fly" . A shot between his legs, does not get you a "fly"

The Vudoo will be my Fly Gun

Have a look at the records
Bobeager, be sure to check out the 6x5 Thread in this Forum. There is some good shooting going on there, with scores and targets posted for 6 groups of 5 shots at 50, 100 and 200 yards. You'll have to check this out with your Anschutz and your Vudoo when you receive the action. I Co-Direct the Postal Matches that Ozark Shooter mentioned, so I attached a copy of our version of the Texas Mosquito Match. I also attached the scoring for the match. It's probably a bit different than your Fly Match, as we tried to make our version interesting by scoring it with two different attributes: Accuracy and Precision. We retired this match for 2021 due to the lack of shooters wanting to try their skill at 200 yards, on this target, but will likely see it come back if we have enough interest.

Take care and enjoy the new rifle when it arrives.

Rimfireshooter99

Attachments

• 2020-01-01 Texas Mosquito Shoot Match Target.pdf
    77.9 KB · Views: 87
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 12.27.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 12.27.17 PM.png
    175.9 KB · Views: 62
Reactions: phlegethon
Placed my order today for the Shilen barreled action, so the wait begins . Texas Mosquito match , Norm & Larry are speaking of is challenging and a lot of fun . Hope to see it return soon.

Andy

Mike, the new Pin cane today. Big difference, thanks a million.
The two on the left are the strikes from the new one and the 5 in a row are the old.
I also put in the white spring (15#) whereas before I had in the 17#.
5hHcY4D.jpg
Auman, is the new firing pin for a V22s? Looks much better than the earlier version in your picture.

Rimfireshooter99

MB,
Is everyone going to get this new firing pin?
Those receiving the early actions have the original version of the pin with the impact occurring on a larger radius. The easiest way to know what you have is to read post 1341 in this thread. If your impact doesn't look like the picture I posted, reach out to me via PM.

MB

Reactions: AUMan
Those receiving the early actions have the original version of the pin with the impact occurring on a larger radius. The easiest way to know what you have is to read post 1341 in this thread. If your impact doesn't look like the picture I posted, reach out to me via PM.

MB
Mr. Bush to be clear are the actions leaving St George now with the new pin?

RAVAGE88, I have a V22S with the early firing pin. You have kindly sent me a new firing pin I believe ( snow has the USPS not delivering mail). I shoot Eley Match and RWS 50. Which spring would you recommend? I will be taking the bolt apart already and was wondering. I have had zero failures to date.

RAVAGE88, I have a V22S with the early firing pin. You have kindly sent me a new firing pin I believe ( snow has the USPS not delivering mail). I shoot Eley Match and RWS 50. Which spring would you recommend? I will be taking the bolt apart already and was wondering. I have had zero failures to date.
Start with the one that's in it (its shipped with a 16 lb) and look at the targets. Generally, I believe most are running 14 and 15 lb springs.

MB

So the ball is 100% rolling and the wait begins!!!!! V22S barreled action is ordered. Stock is ordered/in the works. Tuner is ordered. 1 piece rest is ordered.

Now narrowing down what glass and rings I am going to run, decisions, decisions.

Reactions: Rimfireshooter99
Ranger you cant beat the tried and true nightforce Bench rest scopes for any price. Good call on ezell tuner ,not only is it a great tuner he is a great guy and always willing to share knowledge with you over the phone.

Ranger you cant beat the tried and true nightforce Bench rest scopes for any price. Good call on ezell tuner ,not only is it a great tuner he is a great guy and always willing to share knowledge with you over the phone.
Mr. Ezell is a good man. Learned allot chatting with him today ordering the tuner, very lasting impression. As for the NF Bench Rest glass I am 90% leaning in that direction.

Here is the V22S I presented on this thread about 3 weeks ago but it now sits in a PR and T lowboy stock that has been professionally bedded. The stock has an Anschutz rail and I will use a Tier One FTR bipod, though it also rides a pedestal rest nicely.
Thanks
Gilbert

Absolutely gorgeous and I love the color!

Up till now I have brought it to the range only twice and have only started ammo testing. Seems to prefer Lapua CenterX and Midas+ and does also good with RWS R-50 but does not shoot well Eley match. It seems to be even more accurate than my Anschutz 54.30 but after only about 250 rounds down the pipe, a bit early to tell. I will be conducting more ammo testing in the forthcoming weeks and will publish targets.
Gilbert

The scope I chose is a Nightforce Competition 15X55X52
Glass is incredibly clear and I appreciate precision of adjustments and also that it allows me to see my targets really big. I also have a Nightforce Competition 42X44 fixed on another rifle. Honestly I like it lots and would have chosen that smaller model again but they do not make them anymore so I went for the big brother ( 15X55X52 ).

Gilbert

A time of great anticipation I'm sure.

I'm scope shopping, obviously you have a NF there. What model and would you recommend it? How does it compare to other comparables you have looked thru?

So as to not hi jack this thread, I have one in Optics - https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/nightforce-or-sightron.7063293/

Thanks
You might want to take a look at the Sightron III series scopes. Great glass and comparatively less expensive. I have the Sightron III 45X45 fixed.

I also went with the Sightron SIII 45x45 for my V-22S. Have been impressed with the clarity & precision of this scope so far, definitely prefer it over an older Leupold 36x BR scope I had on a 6PPC LV BR rifle 20+yrs ago.

I would like to get a look at one of the NF BR scopes, but honestly, the SIII 45x45 has been good enough that I'm not really considering looking for anything else at this point.

Reactions: GTI
I wonder if your eyes can become spoiled. The Sightrons are terrible when I look through them.

Mike,
I received the new striker/firing pin yesterday, and wasted no time in swapping out the original for the new pin. Hoping to get in a little shooting with the rifle today, although with much cooler temps and a little light snow, not sure that will happen. Thanks for the quick shipping & continuing customer support!

Reactions: 10ring1
I'm doing some searching for reviews on Sightron's SVSS 10-50x60 scopes - would like to hear from owners who've had one long enough to compare these 34mm scopes with ED glass to the 30mm SIII 45x45 Comp scope. IMHO, Sightron's SIII scopes have pretty good glass, so if the ED glass in the SVSS scopes makes a noticeable improvement over the SIII 45x45, I might very well be happy with one of the SVSS scopes, and not need to spend the extra $$$ a NR BR scope would cost.

I wonder if your eyes can become spoiled. The Sightrons are terrible when I look through them.
When you say "terrible", what are you referring to: Lighting, focus, redicle, etc? Mine is extremely clear, the cross-hairs are sharp, parallax is exact.....I came from a Weaver T-36.

When you say "terrible", what are you referring to: Lighting, focus, redicle, etc? Mine is extremely clear, the cross-hairs are sharp, parallax is exact.....I came from a Weaver T-36.
GTI;
How would you compare the Weaver T36 to the SIII 45x45?? Is the $$ worth the extra magnification?? Is the glass that much better than the Weaver 36x??

I'm considering what to put on my V22-S as well, I had a SII 36x that I did not care for, tried a Weaver 36x and really like it. The SII 36x sight picture just seemed real grainy, and a bit darker to me as compared to the Weaver 36x, and have used the Weaver 36x for the last 3 yrs w/o issue. I've got a spare 36x, or two, in the closet so I'm leaning towards using the Weaver to start out, and cross this bridge later, or maybe bite the bullet and get a SIII 45x to try out from the very start.

GTI;
How would you compare the Weaver T36 to the SIII 45x45?? Is the $$ worth the extra magnification?? Is the glass that much better than the Weaver 36x??

I'm considering what to put on my V22-S as well, I had a SII 36x that I did not care for, tried a Weaver 36x and really like it. The SII 36x sight picture just seemed real grainy, and a bit darker to me as compared to the Weaver 36x, and have used the Weaver 36x for the last 3 yrs w/o issue. I've got a spare 36x, or two, in the closet so I'm leaning towards using the Weaver to start out, and cross this bridge later, or maybe bite the bullet and get a SIII 45x to try out from the very start.
I used the T36 on my 40X for 4 years without a problem. Scores were good and consistent. Had cataract surgery and noticed that the Weaver looked a little grainy. Not terribly but still........So I thought I'd try something new. I read some reviews, liked what I read (I'm not a fan of variable focus) and bit the bullet. I haven't had it out yet but from just looking through it the images seem to be sharper. I just have the crosshairs. No dot. That said, the crosshairs are VERY fine. Glad I had the surgery! (lol) I'm certainly not saying that a NF or March wouldn't be better BUT I didn't spend thousands either. I only shoot 50 and 100. For that the Sightron is perfect for me. I think the old saying "You get what you pay for" applies here.

My eye doc wants to do cataract surgery on me as well (both eyes) so that may come about in 6-9 months. Thanks for the info, I don't care for the dot either, and the Weaver CH's are ok for me. I've looked thru a Sightron 10-50 FCH w/ dot, and the dot got lost, especially against a darker color target. LOL Will keep you comments in mind going forward.

Reactions: GTI
When weight isnt an issue the NF benchrest x42 hands down. I have 2 of the comps x55 and 2 br x42 . The bench rest 60 mm ocular and front parallax wins hands down for bench rest shooting. Only reason I have the NF comp 55 is to make weight to shoot f/class .

FYI

Back to the issue of the new firing pin configuration and springs. Yesterday I shot my V22S with the new firing pin and had changed the spring to 14# at the same time. Accuracy was marginal at best with several misfires. Change to the 15# spring and groups tightened up considerably. Ammo was Eley Match.

Travelor, I'd been shooting my V-22S with the 14lb spring & the original striker for several hundred rounds and never had a FTF. Swapped striker out for the new one that Mike sent yesterday, and had several FTFs. Took the bolt back into the shop and put the 15lb spring in - still had FTFs, though not as many. Finally went back to the 16lb spring, which is what was installed from the factory, and had one or two FTF out of the final 100rds. Need to message Mike to get his advice; I'd screwed the striker into the gas shield until the threads bottomed-out, then backed it off far enough to index plus one full revolution.

Travelor, I'd been shooting my V-22S with the 14lb spring & the original striker for several hundred rounds and never had a FTF. Swapped striker out for the new one that Mike sent yesterday, and had several FTFs. Took the bolt back into the shop and put the 15lb spring in - still had FTFs, though not as many. Finally went back to the 16lb spring, which is what was installed from the factory, and had one or two FTF out of the final 100rds. Need to message Mike to get his advice; I'd screwed the striker into the gas shield until the threads bottomed-out, then backed it off far enough to index plus one full revolution.
Dennis,
Screw the pin back in until it bottoms out and loosen just enough to index. The additional revolution reduced pin fall by .015" and changed your timing. Please let me know what your results are after you've tried this....

MB

Flatland, I can not compare the SV Sightron scopes with the SIII, but can tell you I have been shooting the
SV with ED glass now for a while. I like it! In fact I switched from 7-35 ATACR and now after seeing mine
two friends have switched also. Mine is 27012.
Mine is on my V22S, and I will use it this season in F Class.

Reactions: ccollier and GTI
Dennis,
Screw the pin back in until it bottoms out and loosen just enough to index. The additional revolution reduced pin fall by .015" and changed your timing. Please let me know what your results are after you've tried this....

MB
Mike,
I'd watched your video on the V-22S and knew from that about the .015" per revolution due to the 64tpi. Buy them books and buy them books...and they just eat the covers....
Dennis

• Haha
Reactions: GTI and RAVAGE88
Flatland, I can not compare the SV Sightron scopes with the SIII, but can tell you I have been shooting the
SV with ED glass now for a while. I like it! In fact I switched from 7-35 ATACR and now after seeing mine
two friends have switched also. Mine is 27012.
Mine is on my V22S, and I will use it this season in F Class.
I am newer to 22lr benchrest but for the life of me cant figure out why people cheap out for the most part on glass. Guy will have 3k rifle shooting 10x and use a cheap weaver scope?

I am newer to 22lr benchrest but for the life of me cant figure out why people cheap out for the most part on glass. Guy will have 3k rifle shooting 10x and use a cheap weaver scope?
My "cheap Weaver scope" sat on top of my 40X and shot consistant 250's with 15 to 18 X's. I'm hoping my V22-S will at least do the same.

Reactions: JimTN and 10ring1
My "cheap Weaver scope" sat on top of my 40X and shot consistant 250's with 15 to 18 X's. I'm hoping my V22-S will at least do the same.
Haha. I'm starting BR with a weaver on my V22s and was a little disheartened with matt's statement. Glad to see this GTI. Everything I have read over the past 6 mos Weaver holds zero and tracks well. That's a great start

Besides, starting out, how many hobbies have we all splurged on (and every single person in a free economy has done it) to later lose interest? I'm going to test the waters first. The scope can always be readily upgraded if it would need to be.

Reactions: GTI and JimTN
I believe if some research is done on RFBR equipment lists, you'll see the Weaver 36x is a popular scope, and has served numerous BR shooters well based on their scores.

Reactions: 10ring1 and GTI
I believe if some research is done on RFBR equipment lists, you'll see the Weaver 36x is a popular scope, and has served numerous BR shooters well based on their scores.
The T36 has taken many many trophies. It was the industry standard for quite a while for novice and intermediate shooters. The only complaint I've ever heard was regarding the glass. The new "ED" glass is a bit better than what Weaver put in it's T's. I just wanted to try something new and had a little extra money. We'll see how it all works out. ;)