• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vudoo V-22S Single Shot BR/F-Class Action

Does a Ezell tuner work better than a Harrell's on a Vudoo with a Ross taper Muller?
No, they both do the same thing. They all essentially do the same thing. Has nothing to do with the taper of the barrel. They all just move weight at the end of the barrel.

Reactions: GTI
What wind flags do you guys use?
I got a set from Joe Chacon (ABRA) who does not build/make them, but sells them for a builder. I've talked to the builder and is a good guy IMO, very helpful, etc if you have questions about tuning the flags. Color selection is good, and several of the shooters I shoot with in local matches have sets of the same flags. All sets seem consistent in showing the changes so I can look at any of them for info. I did change the tails as the surveyor tape was not to my liking, but that is the only difference between any of the sets IMO.

$11/BOX for Ctr-X!
Holey Moley!
Everyone in my neck of the woods raves about Ctr-X. Ctr-X this and Ctr-X that........ It seems my rifle isn't that impressed with it. Std + seems to run better than Ctr-X. I haven't measured the groupings yet but the Std + seems to be consistently smaller. I shot a 2450-14X with WOLF and no tuner just messin' around. Obviously more testing is needed. I'll give the Ctr-X more time. It does, after all, produce less flyers than the others and that can make quite a difference in a match. We also shoot a lot of IR-5050. A flyer can be devastating in THAT match. I'd hate to get beat by a guy shooting a 250-4X and me shooting a 249-17X on account of a flyer......It happens.
Optimizing accuracy in a rimfire benchrest rifle includes accepting the action is a part of a complex system - the shooter, rifle components (tuner, barrel, action, trigger, stock, scope, rifle rest), the weather and ammo as a critical path item.

Ammo that works with your rifle is critical to accuracy. You should recognize that selecting a brand is only step one. You find that different lots of your favorite brand will perform better than others and that weather can impact accuracy as well. Some lots require barrel tuning to get them to shoot.

The top shooters in the ARA RFBR game shoot Eley or Lapua - the vast majority of competitors in the March 2021 Indoor Nat'l shot Lapua Midas +. You may find brands other than Eley/Lapua that perform extremely well but those will be rare. In today' ammo market the guys who have inventory of ammo they've been buying over the last two to three years seem to have the advantage over guys who are currently searching for great ammo.

GTI's point about IR-50 250-4X winning over 249-17X is spot on ...

Reactions: Rimfireshooter99
Ezell's. But flags are one the biggest personal preference items there are in the game. It doesn't matter what kind of flags you have (as long as you have them), it's do you understand what they mean in relation to what you are shooting. It takes time to learn any of them. They can also be tuned a bit to react faster, or slower. Some guys like propellers, some don't. Some like dual vane, some don't. Use good sail tails, they will provide you almost as much information as the flag itself.

There is such a thing as too sensitive as it can put you in analysis paralysis. More than just what type of flags to use, I would say have at least 4, but 5 or 6 is more common. Many also use windicators of some sort.

I have said in other posts and it applies here. There is no magic bullet to this like most other items. It's simply a matter of experience and experimenting. Good flags and stands are expensive. It was one of the biggest suprises to me when I got started in just how much money I have tied up in flags.

Last edited:
Hello,

As I shoot in freehand I have my eyes towards the mobile breech and I have just noticed that just after the percussion I see the external part of the striker recede or rebound, is this normal?
friendly
jacques

Hozzie do you also use Ezell's tuner?
No. I have had one, but all of my new ones are Holeshot. I also have some Harrell's, but Jerry's has some nicer features such as easier to read numbering and the ability to lock down. Mike's may lock down as well.

To be honest, they all do the job, the advantage for many is knowing that on a 24" barrel you should be in tune between 125 and 200 with a Harrells or Holeshot on an .850 - .900 barrel. I am not saying there aren't exceptions, but it's a pretty good range to be in.

No. I have had one, but all of my new ones are Holeshot. I also have some Harrell's, but Jerry's has some nicer features such as easier to read numbering and the ability to lock down. Mike's may lock down as well.

To be honest, they all do the job, the advantage for many is knowing that on a 24" barrel you should be in tune between 125 and 200 with a Harrells or Holeshot on an .850 - .900 barrel. I am not saying there aren't exceptions, but it's a pretty good range to be in.
Would you have any experience with a Harrell's tuner on a 22" barrel?

I put a Pro-X tuner on the Krieger 22" sendero contour bbl on my oldest V-22 repeater after seeing how much difference one made on the 25" Shilen R5 that I did for my V-22S. Don't have the figures handy from running the Purdy calculations on it, but was similarly impressed with the effect it had on accuracy.

I use a home made set of flags as of a couple days ago.
I use engineers tape (plastic, 1" wide, used for marking survey stakes), 24" in length to start. Today I plan to calibrate the ribbons with a wind speed meter by cutting them until they show wind speed I want to work with viewing them at the 90º & 45º angles. I hope to put a tad-bit of Duct Tape at the very end to help in calibration.
Never done this before but in theory, it should work...me thinks?

l4zpwIu.jpg

iYjO4Zw.jpg

Just an old broken rake handle I saved for something, put a spike on the bottom and the screw attachment on top, reinforced the top with some Gorilla tape folded over the yellow and punched a hole for the screw.

I'm an old'Fart...old'Skool...like to make what I can instead of buying.

Set three of them, view from my bench at 50 yards...dang things don't agree at times, guess that's the fun in reading/doping for wind.

dpdYT1d.jpg

I joined up here today to get in on the Harrell's Tuners conversation...I'm new to .22lr BR, bought this used CZ452 to play with here at home, I'm retired...am a long time BrassStuffer in centerfire and like this RabbitHole of .22lr. Good hobby in my retirement.

gO9fMkh.jpg

Made myself a home made bench & have been trying to learn about this game...don't compete against anyone but myself.

I have tinkered with this tuner with a limited amount of the Eley 'tenex' & 'Match', followed directions (sort-of) and have some experience in tuning...did an overall test shooting of various settings over the entire spread of the tuner adjustments...

yorw0AH.jpg

Then gone on to test at various settings on both sides of the preliminary settings...

cVieQQJ.jpg

mRkqXpi.jpg

Also have been getting data on the 'bare barrel' with the tuner removed...will repeat this also with this new batch of ammo I'll pick up today...

RVppTnz.jpg

I think this tuner works but now have a new lot of Eley Match and would like to find the most efficient tuning method for this 50 yard range. Can't test at 100 yards until I build an elevated shooting bench in my East Pasture (that'll be down the road), I figure I have plenty of work to do at the 50.

Never been a part of this forum, if I've hijacked this thread with this response, please forgive and I'll remove my post.

Last edited:
I use a home made set of flags as of a couple days ago.
I use engineers tape (plastic, 1" wide, used for marking survey stakes), 24" in length to start. Today I plan to calibrate the ribbons with a wind speed meter by cutting them until they show wind speed I want to work with viewing them at the 90º & 45º angles. I hope to put a tad-bit of Duct Tape at the very end to help in calibration.
Never done this before but in theory, it should work...me thinks?

l4zpwIu.jpg

iYjO4Zw.jpg

Just an old broken rake handle I saved for something, put a spike on the bottom and the screw attachment on top, reinforced the top with some Gorilla tape folded over the yellow and punched a hole for the screw.

I'm an old'Fart...old'Skool...like to make what I can instead of buying.

Set three of them, view from my bench at 50 yards...dang things don't agree at times, guess that's the fun in reading/doping for wind.

dpdYT1d.jpg

I joined up here today to get in on the Harrell's Tuners conversation...I'm new to .22lr BR, bought this used CZ452 to play with here at home, I'm retired...am a long time BrassStuffer in centerfire and like this RabbitHole of .22lr. Good hobby in my retirement.

gO9fMkh.jpg

Made myself a home made bench & have been trying to learn about this game...don't compete against anyone but myself.

I have tinkered with this tuner with a limited amount of the Eley 'tenex' & 'Match', followed directions (sort-of) and have some experience in tuning...did an overall test shooting of various settings over the entire spread of the tuner adjustments...

yorw0AH.jpg

Then gone on to test at various settings on both sides of the preliminary settings...

cVieQQJ.jpg

mRkqXpi.jpg

Also have been getting data on the 'bare barrel' with the tuner removed...will repeat this also with this new batch of ammo I'll pick up today...

RVppTnz.jpg

I think this tuner works but now have a new lot of Eley Match and would like to find the most efficient tuning method for this 50 yard range. Can't test at 100 yards until I build an elevated shooting bench in my East Pasture (that'll be down the road), I figure I have plenty of work to do at the 50.

Never been a part of this forum, if I've hijacked this thread with this response, please forgive and I'll remove my post.
CharlieBsr, as long as your flags work for you, go for it. Also, I like what you're doing with your tuner testing. The data is very interesting to see. Did you also further test tuner settings 3.5 - 12 and 5.0 - 0? Those look even better groups than the 1.0 - 12.

As for threads, this particular thread is supposed to be about the Vudoo Target rifle, V22s. There are a few other threads for some of the CZ models you might want to post in next time. Just a thought. Good shooting with that 452!

RFS99

CharlieBsr, as long as your flags work for you, go for it. Also, I like what you're doing with your tuner testing. The data is very interesting to see. Did you also further test tuner settings 3.5 - 12 and 5.0 - 0? Those look even better groups than the 1.0 - 12.

As for threads, this particular thread is supposed to be about the Vudoo Target rifle, V22s. There are a few other threads for some of the CZ models you might want to post in next time. Just a thought. Good shooting with that 452!

RFS99
Sorry for posting this, my first post here and first screw-up too! Should I & can I delete it somehow?

I haven't gone any farther with testing as I ran out of this type ammo and didn't get more until last week...so I'm starting over again.
That was my first time ever with testing a tuner, first time with an F-Class rifle also.

Sorry for posting this, my first post here and first screw-up too! Should I & can I delete it somehow?

I haven't gone any farther with testing as I ran out of this type ammo and didn't get more until last week...so I'm starting over again.
That was my first time ever with testing a tuner, first time with an F-Class rifle also.
No worry about deleting the post. Good luck with your tuner testing!

With all the activity in rimfire world since the launch of the original V-22 and more recently, two new three lug platforms, many that are newer to the rimfire disciplines have joined us to enjoy a pretty incredible set of shooting opportunities. With this, there are many questions, comments, discoveries, etc., to be shared, so I've started a new page on IG called Vudoo Labs (@vudoo_labs).

On this page, I'll be sharing info related to ongoing projects, troubleshooting of various rimfire intricacies, etc. One topic in particular is related to individual results/outcomes at ammunition test facilities and the conversation is based on actually being at the facilities and providing my own follow-up testing/diagnoses.

I'll also share some of the same info here, but not at the level of detail found on the Vudoo Labs IG page.

MB

With all the activity in rimfire world since the launch of the original V-22 and more recently, two new three lug platforms, many that are newer to the rimfire disciplines have joined us to enjoy a pretty incredible set of shooting opportunities. With this, there are many questions, comments, discoveries, etc., to be shared, so I've started a new page on IG called Vudoo Labs (@vudoo_labs).

On this page, I'll be sharing info related to ongoing projects, troubleshooting of various rimfire intricacies, etc. One topic in particular is related to individual results/outcomes at ammunition test facilities and the conversation is based on actually being at the facilities and providing my own follow-up testing/diagnoses.

I'll also share some of the same info here, but not at the level of detail found on the Vudoo Labs IG page.

MB
This is great!

Reactions: RAVAGE88
Badjujuu my caveman brain just exploded, will have to get wife to do this never down loaded an app before.
Oh man, sorry - hopefully it works out. I find instagram useful to connect to fellow shooters and post "visual stories" with descriptions of items and events. Just another platform to use i guess.

Jerry P. about your post on who's wind flags to use ( Post #1703 ). Call Matt Spradlin for Graham wind flags @ 1 253-279-2699 and Flying Fish Fundamentals or KSS for sail tails. Oh, the Grhm flgs come with some surveyors tape tails. The sail tails give you wind options.

Looks like we have again gotten off the purpose of this topic. If you want to talk wind flags, please start a new thread.

May we please get back to the gun?

I don't. I don't have any barrel's that short. They will still definitely work, it will just take testing.
Hello to all

I will not mount an EZZEL PDT on the V22S because I asked the FFL who will export this one to buy one for me but he just told me that for the last 2 months Mike has not answered him and even a colleague who had it on the phone had the impression that he did not care.
I will choose a Harrell following your advice.

Reactions: Rimfireshooter99
Hello to all

I will not mount an EZZEL PDT on the V22S because I asked the FFL who will export this one to buy one for me but he just told me that for the last 2 months Mike has not answered him and even a colleague who had it on the phone had the impression that he did not care.
Unfortunate. I assume you're referring to Mike Ezell?

MB

Looks like we have again gotten off the purpose of this topic. If you want to talk wind flags, please start a new thread.

May we please get back to the gun?
Speaking of, you've not posted any targets or results of ammo testing??

Hello to all

I have Mike’s tuner as well as two of his wind flags. Couldn’t be happier with them or his service. Talked to him on the phone for over an hour about barrel harmonics and setting the tuner.

I have Mike’s tuner as well as two of his wind flags. Couldn’t be happier with them or his service. Talked to him on the phone for over an hour about barrel harmonics and setting the tuner.
yes I had a lot of hope in the EZZEL TDP for the Vudoo, in addition to what I wrote on the forum I asked on FB to Mike I never got an answer
it's a pity because the V22s/EZZEL coupling should have been deadly!

I asked Mike on face book to have a PDT? he answered give me a call, as I don't speak enough English to hold and understand a conversation with Mike, I asked a friend who lived in the US to talk to him.
I tried with my FFL (the one who is going to export the vudoo) to make him buy the PDT, for that the FFL asked him the reference of the part he could order and pay, for 2 months Mike never answered, and so I cancelled my purchase request with the FFL, it was the only way to get the part.
Far be it from me to criticize Mike but I am highly disappointed that I can't buy and mount this PDT.

I don't check in here that often but many of the comments make me feel very proud of the products mentioned here that I'm involved with and the support that I make an earnest effort in giving to everyone that I speak with, especially regarding tuners.

Unfortunately, and apparently, I have not met the service expectations of a determined poster. For that, I apologize but I do try and I am very human. Above all..I do care.

While it does seem old fashioned to only do tuner orders by phone, the one and only reason for my choice to do it this way, is and always has been to better serve my customers, as opposed to so many companies in this day and age that don't really want to interact personally with their customers. Trust me, itd be a lot easier and faster to have customers put something in a shopping cart and wish them good luck...but that's not me.

Thank you all for your business and for the kind words of support on this very public forum. If anyone thinks I don't care, that would be very wrong. Again, thank you all very much and I hope to continue doing the best I can for a lot longer.

Oh, and Happy Mother's Day to all the moms!

Sincerely,
Mike Ezell

I don't check in here that often but many of the comments make me feel very proud of the products mentioned here that I'm involved with and the support that I make an earnest effort in giving to everyone that I speak with, especially regarding tuners.

Unfortunately, and apparently, I have not met the service expectations of a determined poster. For that, I apologize but I do try and I am very human. Above all..I do care.

While it does seem old fashioned to only do tuner orders by phone, the one and only reason for my choice to do it this way, is and always has been to better serve my customers, as opposed to so many companies in this day and age that don't really want to interact personally with their customers. Trust me, itd be a lot easier and faster to have customers put something in a shopping cart and wish them good luck...but that's not me.

Thank you all for your business and for the kind words of support on this very public forum. If anyone thinks I don't care, that would be very wrong. Again, thank you all very much and I hope to continue doing the best I can for a lot longer.

Sincerely,
Mike Ezell
Very classy post, thank you Mike and I hope you hang out here a bit....You have a lot to offer.

MB

Sincerely,
Mike Ezell
Mike
I apologize for offending you, it was not my intention.

I would have liked so much to have one of your PDT for the Vudoo that I tried all the possibilities, the last one being to go through my FFL who currently has my Vudoo waiting for export.

I asked him to order and pay you 1 PDT because I am unable to speak and listen to you on the phone because I do not speak English, of course you could not give me all the tips for the setting, I thought of a notice attached with the material.

If you read this message quickly and you think it is still possible to have this PDT for 22 rimfire tell me in response on the forum I will ask you to order and pay charge to you to ship it, we have the planned departure of the Vudoo for France in late May.
Again my apologies, sincere greetings,
Jacques

Mike
I apologize for offending you, it was not my intention.

I would have liked so much to have one of your PDT for the Vudoo that I tried all the possibilities, the last one being to go through my FFL who currently has my Vudoo waiting for export.

I asked him to order and pay you 1 PDT because I am unable to speak and listen to you on the phone because I do not speak English, of course you could not give me all the tips for the setting, I thought of a notice attached with the material.

If you read this message quickly and you think it is still possible to have this PDT for 22 rimfire tell me in response on the forum I will ask you to order and pay charge to you to ship it, we have the planned departure of the Vudoo for France in late May.
Again my apologies, sincere greetings,
Jacques
Oh, no worries and I'm not offended. That said, I have zero recollection of speaking with a gunsmith recently, that informed me that he was inquiring for export purposes or that he was calling on your behalf, due to any language barriers, which is certainly possible. There was one that called the other day with a request that I furnish him a tuner to his thread dimensions. He name was Paul. Does that ring a bell with you? I'm curious. I explained to him that they are all cnc made and that I don't do one off sizes for all possibilities out there, but that I could furnish him with an adapter that he could pretty easily modify to his specs. I haven't heard back from him as yet. He didn't mention export at all, that I recall.

That said, I've had a couple of issues with exporting tuners in the past. I won't get into the details but I have chosen, at least for now, to not export my tuners. It has nothing to do with you and that's enough said about that. Bottom line is, I regret not being able to be of more help but export, directly or indirectly, is not an option at this time.

I'm sure you'll have a nice build soon and I sincerely regret that it won't be wearing my tuner but I do have what I consider very good and unfortunate reason for my decision to turn down a fairly large aspect of the market.

Sincerely,
Mike Ezell
While I don't currently own any of your products, people like you and your company are who I like to do business with.

Gjmen22

My youngest spent time getting a "feel" for DEFTI, his Factory Hot Rod Rifle. My focus was having him develop a "process" at the bench and not worry so much about the target, but I think he had other things in mind. Not bad for his first time behind the rifle and rest. The Center X is just a brick I grabbed and had never been shot in this rifle and there were no fouling shots. He's not shooting over flags and it didn't take long for him to figure out the conditions. The first two shots were the top row of four, far right.

2690-ABA6-6-ED8-48-E6-97-E8-C76425-BFAE86.jpg

76-CB9273-553-E-4-DEB-A3-E4-B1-F508-DC46-DB.jpg

73-DD589-B-C265-4-D6-D-831-F-B0-CF760-AF09-C.jpg

0-FDB8-CA0-BF5-E-43-BA-8796-7290-EB3-DC348.jpg

MB

Oh, no worries and I'm not offended. That said, I have zero recollection of speaking with a gunsmith recently, that informed me that he was inquiring for export purposes or that he was calling on your behalf, due to any language barriers, which is certainly possible. There was one that called the other day with a request that I furnish him a tuner to his thread dimensions. He name was Paul. Does that ring a bell with you? I'm curious. I explained to him that they are all cnc made and that I don't do one off sizes for all possibilities out there, but that I could furnish him with an adapter that he could pretty easily modify to his specs. I haven't heard back from him as yet. He didn't mention export at all, that I recall.

That said, I've had a couple of issues with exporting tuners in the past. I won't get into the details but I have chosen, at least for now, to not export my tuners. It has nothing to do with you and that's enough said about that. Bottom line is, I regret not being able to be of more help but export, directly or indirectly, is not an option at this time.

I'm sure you'll have a nice build soon and I sincerely regret that it won't be wearing my tuner but I do have what I consider very good and unfortunate reason for my decision to turn down a fairly large aspect of the market.
Mike,

I thank you and I understand your position, the person who contacted you is not a gunsmith but the person who has the export license to send me the Vudoo in France. and I receive the package directly, no one other than me touches the equipment.
it is a gesture of respect towards you and your license.
Sincerely
jacques

Reactions: GTI
My youngest spent time getting a "feel" for DEFTI, his Factory Hot Rod Rifle. My focus was having him develop a "process" at the bench and not worry so much about the target, but I think he had other things in mind. Not bad for his first time behind the rifle and rest. The Center X is just a brick I grabbed and had never been shot in this rifle and there were no fouling shots. He's not shooting over flags and it didn't take long for him to figure out the conditions. The first two shots were the top row of four, far right.

2690-ABA6-6-ED8-48-E6-97-E8-C76425-BFAE86.jpg

76-CB9273-553-E-4-DEB-A3-E4-B1-F508-DC46-DB.jpg

73-DD589-B-C265-4-D6-D-831-F-B0-CF760-AF09-C.jpg

0-FDB8-CA0-BF5-E-43-BA-8796-7290-EB3-DC348.jpg

MB
Hi Mike,

Indeed for a start with center x and without having the flags it is a very good cardboard,
through that I think the start is very stable at the firing, the front support and rear bag are what we use,
but a question what is the mass of the complete DEFTI?
and please what is the PDT?

Mike I apologized to Mike Ezzel I think we both misunderstood each other.
Sincerely
jacques

Reactions: RAVAGE88
Hi Mike,

Indeed for a start with center x and without having the flags it is a very good cardboard,
through that I think the start is very stable at the firing, the front support and rear bag are what we use,
but a question what is the mass of the complete DEFTI?
and please what is the PDT?

Mike I apologized to Mike Ezzel I think we both misunderstood each other.
Sincerely
jacques
Hi Jacques,
Thank you, he was really focused. I haven't weighed anything, but can after travel this week. I'm not sure what PDT is....sorry.

I'm thankful you and Mike were able to get on the same page. Generally speaking, things are rarely what we initially think and I've had every reason to believe that Mike is as he presented himself here....a very classy guy that just wants to do cool stuff.

MB

Reactions: mattt
Hi Jacques,
Thank you, he was really focused. I haven't weighed anything, but can after travel this week. I'm not sure what PDT is....sorry.

I'm thankful you and Mike were able to get on the same page. Generally speaking, things are rarely what we initially think and I've had every reason to believe that Mike is as he presented himself here....a very classy guy that just wants to do cool stuff.

MB
the pdt is mike ezell tuner

Have had rifle a little over a week shot first match with it and tested springs for 2 days hundreds of rounds down range. I tried all 6 springs that came with it and settled on blue with proper adjustment that this rifle had no light strikes. Rifle is tuned in I feel and getting Ezell tuner next week and will have to do testing again. Very happy customer!!!!!