• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vudoo V22 360 Trigger Install Questions

plong

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 13, 2010
    USA
    I’ve searched and read what I could find, but I’m still left with a couple of questions regarding trigger install on a Vudoo V22 360:
    • Are the trigger pin holes directional? (and if so how are directions identified? i.e. is “right” the ejection port side? or…?)
    • Are the trigger pins supplied with a barreled action tapered, and therefore also directional? Or just a slight chamfer on the end that’s supposed to go in first?
    I read where the pins are supposed to “slide in”, at least to the trigger assembly, after which you are supposed to tap them the rest of the way in. Mine most-definitely do not “slide in”. I was able to get them barely started with hand pressure: front from the ejection port (“right…?”) side, and rear from the other (“left…?”) side, after which I had to drive them with a brass punch and hammer. I’m hoping I didn’t do something backwards and screw something up.

All of the V-22’s I have owned and installed triggers in (which is 5 or 6 at this point) the pins are tight as a mother fucker! Support the action well and get a BFH
    Second this. The reason I ordered my current Vudoo with the trigger installed rather than mess with it myself after how tight the pins were on the first.

Any idea if VGW uses a press to put the pins in? I would kind of expect they do, rather than having someone using a hammer. 🧐

If they are tapered, I would expect them to be a right to left install, looking from breach to muzzle..everything* else is with guns.

*with the exception of putting the safety in, on ARs and Ruger MK4 anyway.

All of the V-22’s I have owned and installed triggers in (which is 5 or 6 at this point) the pins are tight as a mother fucker! Support the action well and get a BFH
    ungodly freaking tight.....like not even correct tight...

Any idea if VGW uses a press to put the pins in? I would kind of expect they do, rather than having someone using a hammer. 🧐

If they are tapered, I would expect them to be a right to left install, looking from breach to muzzle..everything* else is with guns.

*with the exception of putting the safety in, on ARs and Ruger MK4 anyway.

Yes they do.

I ended up sending my action to them and having them do it... the later times around I ended up getting a BFH.

Reactions: Cowpokey
    ungodly freaking tight.....like not even correct tight...
    I hesitate to say “like not even correct tight”, only because they do fit in there and do not push out any material (pushing material out would fall under that category). However they are very difficult to install, I am guessing that the action is drilled to less than 0.001” over the pin OD or maybe even to the pin OD but then the creakote is applied and that is the reason they are so tight. Personally I don’t see a reason for such a tight fit as it doesn’t hold the trigger any tighter in the action / in alignment (that is ultimately dictated by the trigger mfg and how they size the holes in the side plates of the trigger), & the pins can’t really fall out with the rifle installed in most chassis / stocks. Maybe @RAVAGE88 can comment as I am sure it is intentional.

I pulled my Trigger Tech Diamond out of my V22 and swapped it out for my B14 R unit. They were both a tight fit but were certainly
    doable if you kept the pins square to the hole axis and lined up with the trigger unit. I think a small chamfer would have gone a long way to ease the installation problem. There is no reason that you cant add a chamfer to aid with the initial hole alignment.

I just installed a TT Diamond in my new 360 barreled action today. The pins were definitely a bit of a tight fit but went in just fine with a little patience and using both roll pin starters and slave pins to keep things lined up front and back. Having everything properly aligned makes it go a lot more smoothly

I suspect that at the first sign of any problem, I pushed a pin through each hole of the trigger and then the BA to make certain
    that there were no manufacturing issues. After I was satisfied that things worked as individual parts, l I knew that I simply had to
    line things up. It will give you peace of mind.....

I certainly don’t think there is a manufacturing problem with the fit, they are just tight. Like I said over 5-6 V-22‘s spanning all of the generations have been consistently tight.

I pulled my Trigger Tech Diamond out of my V22 and swapped it out for my B14 R unit. They were both a tight fit but were certainly
    doable if you kept the pins square to the hole axis and lined up with the trigger unit. I think a small chamfer would have gone a long way to ease the installation problem. There is no reason that you cant add a chamfer to aid with the initial hole alignment.
    I just swapped out the trigger in my B14R and both pins were shouldered and came out by hand. When the TT unit went in they slipped in and stopped at the set point. Trigger is solid with no discernable play. Not sure if that is a change they made but I was happy. Having said that I was ready for the worst with a set of starter punches, regular punches, a 16 ounce brass hammer, a vise, and an armorers block. Sounds like Vudoo has the interference fit/slip fit spot on as in +/-.0001" off the pin diameter?

Vudoo should be spot on. All of the Vudoo stuff is very refined from a design / machining point of view.
    Truly I would be surprised if Vudoo bothers making the pins. Others set up for that kind of work could do it better and cheaper.
    I would not make them nor would I shoulder them like Bergara did. LoL.... I had forgotten that they did that.

That said, for under a grand, my B14 runs great!!
    I swapped out the bolt knob for a Vudoo knob that is bigger and longer and that helps a lot. And the
    Vudoo knob has a very comfortable texture unlike the sharp knurling on the Bergara knob. I do wish Bergara would have done
    a better job on the trigger. Still.... I can get .31" ctc groups with her when using good ammo and I know Lapua did as well.

For a short time I had put my B14R into my Vudoo / MDT chassis. Although not in love with the Bergara color or style, I cant
    see spending another $1000.00 on a gun that runs good without it. Once in a while I consider a Bix & Andy for her too but I
    keep coming back to WHY? I started dropping shots today while at practice and I know it's because I have gotten lazy with my
    hold and not the gun or trigger.

A couple weeks ago I was introduced to a new target. I like it because you could have a more meaningful conversation with someone about their score. That one was thin note book paper which is no good. I went out and had a bunch printed on thick card stock at my local UPS.
    In the third photo... the .56" dimension is to the outer edge of the circle and not a ctc dimension.

I printed up the third target to allow me to see how things were progressing from the firing line. So if I'm within the black area, my
    ctc dimension was .34" That was my base line for the V22 when it was at Lapua.

Sorry.... I got off topic.....

Attachments

• 7-21-21-A.jpg
      7-21-21-A.jpg
      520.8 KB · Views: 113
    • 10 SHOTS @ 25 YARDS.jpg
      10 SHOTS @ 25 YARDS.jpg
      334.9 KB · Views: 105
    • 10 SHOTS @ 50 YARDS  .34 CTC.jpg
      10 SHOTS @ 50 YARDS .34 CTC.jpg
      372 KB · Views: 102
    • 20200926_115413.jpg
      20200926_115413.jpg
      746.5 KB · Views: 94
    • NEW TARGET.jpg
      NEW TARGET.jpg
      542.6 KB · Views: 104
    Reactions: nikonNUT
    Thanks, guys... So... Trigger pins/holes not tapered/directional...?

Please forgive me since I'm doing this from memory. The standard for taper pins is one inch in 4 feet. Or 1/4" in
    one foot. Or 1/8" in 6 inches. Or 1/16" in 3" etc. Since trigger pins are just over a half inch long, that's about .010" between one end
    and the other in a typical 700 trigger pin.
    My point is, any taper would be easy to see just with your eye. The B14R pins have ZERO taper. Certainly they could have made special pins
    and drills and reamers but at what cost and why?? Besides, I have had my B14R trigger out and exchanged it with a TTD and it's fit and
    functionality were flawless.
    The B14R does use pins that have a head's on them and the receiver does have flats machined into the left side but I believe that is
    purely to ease assembly. The flat surface make pin insertion easy. Try and insert the pin on the right hand side. The rounded surface with
    no clear cut hole can be done but it is a PITA! If you lose or replace the Bergara trigger pins that have heads on them, just get some regular,
    straight, headless 700 trigger pins and move on. I have never done it, and cant really imagine why I would want to, but you could probably
    substitute roll pins for solid trigger pins.
    As far as tightness... your working with closely held pins. They also need to be spaced accurately to within something on the order of
    1 / 10,000 of an inch. A Rem 700 clone trigger or other part can't deviate from the original design dimensions with the possible exception of
    tightening up the allowable tolerance. Tapered pins would be a significant deviation. Even a simple tolerance change's / upgrade's can come
    back around and bite you on the ass. Tighter and closer isn't always better.
    Every alteration a company makes, puts them at risk for their product not fitting into another companies product.
    Someone could come out with a triple stage, polka dotted trigger but it would have to match all of the external dimensions from 1962.
    Even the firing pin contact surface needs to match. The rest of the internals are up to them. Thats how everybody makes cool products. They
    duplicate the mounting criteria and do what they want to with the guts!

Reactions: Pipefitter I’m