• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vudoo v22 question

Tigerfan601

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 9, 2019
Mississippi
Picking up a used V22 barreled action in the buy/sell group. The barrel has 5k rounds on it. What is the barrel life of a Vudoo Mtu .22 barrel?

How is it shooting?

From accurate shooter blog.

“The best life can be expected from the 22 long rifle (.22 LR) barrels with 5000-10,000 accurate rounds to be expected. We have in our shop one our drop-in Anschutz barrels that has 200,000 rounds through it and the shooter, a competitive small-bore shooter reported that it had just quit shooting.”

I had 3 cases(15,000 rounds)through my first Vudoo, a buddy of mine bought it and has put another 5-6000 rounds through it and it still shoots 2" at 100yds with a good lot of ammo...he does not keep track of round counts on any of his rifles...I don't think a 22LR burns out the throat/barrel like a center fire does. I know some 22 bench rest guys they change barrels around 20,000 rounds but most of them will admit its probable because they clean them so often. I think a lot depends on what type of shooting your doing and your accuracy expectations and how much you shoot.

for PRS RF & NRL22 stuff you will probably shoot 20K plus before you see anything. If you keep the carbon ring out of it every time you shoot it, it will last you a LONG time. Average shooter will not put 5K rounds through one in a year. Vudoo will also re barrel it for you in the $450-$550 range.

for PRS RF & NRL22 stuff you will probably shoot 20K plus before you see anything. If you keep the carbon ring out of it every time you shoot it, it will last you a LONG time. Average shooter will not put 5K rounds through one in a year. Vudoo will also re barrel it for you in the $450-$550 range.
I appreciate the information. That’s exactly what I wanted to hear. I’m just now getting back into shooting prs after a couple years off, and want to shoot some 22 matches also. But realistically I will only shoot 1500-2000 rounds this year.

You gotta remember the guys shooting Vudoos aren't feeding them Walmart bulk pack ammo. $125 - $140/brick ammo will slow down the firing schedule of even the hard-core. And bolt guns aren't building any real heat.

I'd be more concerned with other parts that Vudoo had issues with (bolt stops breaking). But even then, I think they repair them.

Hopefully I’ll be able to run SK through it and it shoot good. But if I have to I’ll spend the extra money and get Lapua or Eley.

Most of the information on the internet is hearsay. A good rimfire barrel wiil last for over 100,000 rounds.

I used to shoot NRA pistol and some of the old timers had rimfire pistols with 50-60K shot through them, and
they were the score leaders.

"Some folks think you need a new (or nearly-new) barrel to win a benchrest match. That may be true in the centerfire game, but in the world of rimfire benchrest, things are different. Good barrels can remain accurate for a long, long time. That was demonstrated by our friend Joe Friedrich who recently set a new ARA 4-target Aggregate record. Joe was shooting his trusty old “Sweet Pea” rifle with a very well-worn barrel. In fact, Joe’s record-setting Benchmark barrel has logged well over 100,000 rounds. That’s right, a barrel with over 100K rounds shot the best 4-target ARA Agg ever. Will wonders never cease."

Hopefully I’ll be able to run SK through it and it shoot good. But if I have to I’ll spend the extra money and get Lapua or Eley.
My Vudoo does not like Eley the fired case gets stuck and I have to use a small pick to get them out...not all of them but I shot 20 rounds of Eley and 4 of them stuck...SK no problem, SK long range match and RWS50 are the 2 best in my rifle.

That was a nice snag, I must have been a minute behind you

What ammo? I picked up some SK long range rifle match yesterday

Here's a list of ammo I've shot through my rifle. In no certain order.

Lapua..........X-Act, Midas+, CenterX, Long Range, Pistol King, Polar Biathlon

Eley..............Tenex, Match, Team, Semi Auto Benchrest Precision, Target, Contact

RWS.............R50, Special Match, Rifle Match, Target Rifle

SK.................Rifle Match, Standard Plus, Pistol Match, Pistol Match Special, Semi Auto Rifle

Norma.......Tac-22

Wolf............Match Extra

Might want to check on them prices again. Couple hundred dollars off.

I can’t tell you barrel life of a rimfire but I can tell you as a fellow 22 prs shooter my first vudoo barrel had a smidge over 25k rounds and I wish I never sold that gun! It was so accurate still! My deuce has 9370 rounds and its is incredibly accurate with no signs of slowing down. Until I see legit problems like unexplainable flyers over multiple lots of ammo that weren’t there before or obviously bad accuracy, I wouldn’t be changing it.

One of the athletes here at the Olympic Training Center killed a Benchmark 2 groove in about 25-30K rounds. The bottom 1/3 of the barrel looked sandblasted and the top was perfect.

That is the only barrel that I know of here that was pulled for being shot out. Several have been pulled for being not accurate and lots of other reasons.

I bought my Vudoo new in May of last year. I have just over 10,000 rounds through it and it's still going strong.
I'd imagine some shoot more, but that is some dedication to one rifle!

You made me count, my Rim X action is over 2.3 yrs old, rebarreled late May, I put around 5K through it last yr. Total rd count still under 10K adding first barrel.

I do have a Vudoo, and a 2nd Rim X, but the original is my fav.

I'd imagine some shoot more, but that is some dedication to one rifle!

You made me count, my Rim X action is over 2.3 yrs old, rebarreled late May, I put around 5K through it last yr. Total rd count still under 10K adding first barrel.

I do have a Vudoo, and a 2nd Rim X, but the original is my fav.
I never thought I'd spend this kind of money on a 22 LR rifle and it's also the only 22 LR rifle of this quality I own. I figured seeing how I spent the money I might as well wear it out. LOL!!!
I've put a lot of work and ammo into getting better and it's starting to pay off......never dreamed one of these rifles could shoot this good.

Thanks!!

I never thought I'd spend this kind of money on a 22 LR rifle and it's also the only 22 LR rifle of this quality I own. I figured seeing how I spent the money I might as well wear it out. LOL!!!
I've put a lot of work and ammo into getting better and it's starting to pay off......never dreamed one of these rifles could shoot this good.

Thanks!!
I said many yrs ago that every shooter should own a custom once in their lives. I never thought I'd own a custom 22LR, but have 2. My Vudoo is a factory rifle, but a shooter. I never did warm up to my stock choice though, and have a new TCS in the gun room, just need to switch.

One pic on RFC of your rifle winning a shoot using bipod and bag says a lot of both you and the rifle! Keep it up!

Reactions: BowChamp
I find a lot of round count and bore life reports somewhat interesting. I’ve had a barrel go bad, and when it did, it went fast.
I shot a CZ 452-2E ZKM purchased NIB for my match rifle in CMP Rimfire Sporter, and gave it my “then” standard break-in and cleaning regiment. It only ever saw one brand, type, model of cartridge, and at 17000 rounds accuracy went south.
The bore never saw a metallic brush until accuracy was gone (it was gone for good), and was ritually cleaned after every outing, match, or even target depending on conditions. It also never saw a cleaning rod down the whole bore, I used a pull through for the bore, and occasional pistol rod/nylon brush for the chamber.
I always cleaned from chamber to crown, and when accuracy left, I slugged the bore: it had become a reverse taper (tightest at chamber and very loose at the muzzle).

CZ bores are supposedly cold hammer forged, which is supposed to yield a high amount of surface hardness to the steel.

Was the bore ruined by dragging a tight patch through the firing residue from chamber to crown and essentially lapping the bore away with this abrasive primer grit?
Was it about average life for a factory tube?
Would the bore have lasted longer with only the chamber cleaned occasionally?
Would it have lasted longer if set back/clocked/rechambered periodically?
Was the bore ruined by the almost constant amount of salt air condensation (living on the Atlantic coast) forming in the bore during shooting especially in cold weather?
Would cleaning from crown to chamber increase accurate bore life?
I’ve never been a fellow who viewed barrels as expendables but perhaps with a high enough bar on accuracy expectations, it takes fewer rounds to kill factory or non-custom bores?