• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vudoo vs tikka T1x

Mslvdc

Private
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2018
St. Louis
So I have a t1x in a bell and Carlson stock which I enjoy shooting out to 2-300 yards. I am not a competitor, but I do like shooting groups and steel at distance. I have done some research and can’t find a real definitive answer.

I curious if anyone has any real world accuracy comparison between the two. I’m sure the Vudoo will be more accurate, but is it 3x the cost more accurate? My normal range gun is a fn spr, so the 700 footprint isn’t a big deal to me, just want an accurate repeater and wondering if I should upgrade.

Thanks for any help and sorry for the long post,

I had a CZ 455 that shot really well. Stock barrel, in a chassis. I was very impressed with the groups I was getting. I even posted on the 6x5 thread here with groups that were better than average. It would have some consistency issues though. My vudoo first day out, biggest group I had was 0.4". Ironically, now that I don't have to putz around with trying different things to make my 22 shoot better, I shoot alot less. If you like to play around, keep the tikka and make it better. If your like me, I got frustrated and shooting became a chore. So, I took a huge hit on the package, sold it and got the vudoo.

I shot nearly 7000 rounds out of my Tikka T1X. For 100 yards, it'll hold up really well, it isn't a tight match chamber but it shot sub moa at 100 yards. The looser chamber drops about 40 fps compared to a match chamber, so at 200-300 yards you're going to be affected a lot more by ES spreads when ammo is shooting between 1030-1050, vs when it's like 1075-1090.

If you look at the 6x5 thread, Jack Hart and his factory T1X, all factory stock and barrel is shooting very consistent sub moa at 50 and 100 yards. My Tikka did the same about .75 moa average at 100 yards with good tested ammo that shot well in it.

I then put in $325 for an IBI barrel chambered with WIn52D. It shot my SK/Lapua ammo fantastic, getting many .5" groups at 100 yards, and about 2-3" groups at 200 yards.

The Vudoo saves you time and tinkering. I just bought a Vudoo and sold my Tikka. If I was a pure just recreational target shooter I would probably have kept my Tikka, but for some of the competition matches, I would get a failure to extract or feed every once in a while, and in a timed match, I don't want the gear to be my limiter. I could have put in a bit more time tweaking the extraction and ejection issues, but I splurged on the Vudoo. I still haven't shot it due to the quarantine but I will soon!

Tikka
1585355616500.png

Vudoo
1585355581924.png

3x better? No. Worth it? yes.

My experience mimics both Littlepod and EddieE. If you want to stretch out the limits of .22lr, Vudoo is the rifle for you.

Reactions: nakoa01
Thanks for the responses guys! I am really torn because I was thinking about buying an IBI or LW barrel for it, but I don’t want to be another $400 into the rifle and then still wish I would have bought the vudoo. I don’t plan on shooting matches, but maybe in the future.

I shot nearly 7000 rounds out of my Tikka T1X. For 100 yards, it'll hold up really well, it isn't a tight match chamber but it shot sub moa at 100 yards. The looser chamber drops about 40 fps compared to a match chamber, so at 200-300 yards you're going to be affected a lot more by ES spreads when ammo is shooting between 1030-1050, vs when it's like 1075-1090.

If you look at the 6x5 thread, Jack Hart and his factory T1X, all factory stock and barrel is shooting very consistent sub moa at 50 and 100 yards. My Tikka did the same about .75 moa average at 100 yards with good tested ammo that shot well in it.

I then put in $325 for an IBI barrel chambered with WIn52D. It shot my SK/Lapua ammo fantastic, getting many .5" groups at 100 yards, and about 2-3" groups at 200 yards.

The Vudoo saves you time and tinkering. I just bought a Vudoo and sold my Tikka. If I was a pure just recreational target shooter I would probably have kept my Tikka, but for some of the competition matches, I would get a failure to extract or feed every once in a while, and in a timed match, I don't want the gear to be my limiter. I could have put in a bit more time tweaking the extraction and ejection issues, but I splurged on the Vudoo. I still haven't shot it due to the quarantine but I will soon!

Tikka
View attachment 7283459

Vudoo
View attachment 7283457
That is a badass looking rifle!

I’m slowly learning, especially with rifles, to get want I actually want the first time. If not, I spend a bunch of money on something that I will end up getting rid of eventually just to buy what I really wanted in the first place.

I have a tikka love the gun but my vudoo is in another class. I dont have to wonder is it the gun, ammo, or driver. If I miss now with my vudoo I either made the wrong wind call or physically did something wrong. It is not the gun anymore and I can correct it instead of chasing my tail not really knowing. I only wish I had bought it sooner.

It will do this all day long everyday.

Attachments

• 20200223_145726.jpg
    20200223_145726.jpg
    314.2 KB · Views: 207
  • 20191229_194109.jpg
    20191229_194109.jpg
    468.6 KB · Views: 222
Reactions: rookie7
Unless I was wanting something in a chassis I'd be looking for a nice Winchester 52C, it's a repeater and they shoot well.

I have a factory Tikka in a Bravo, a Custom T1x, a factory CZ 457 and a chassis and a Vudoo. The Vudoo shoots better than all but my custom Tikka. The custom Tikka shoots just as well as The Vudoo. I didn’t however put a drop in barrel I it. I had a smith custom chamber and fit the barrel. Is the Vudoo 3x better, no it isn’t in my opinion. Was it worth 3x the cost to me, yes. The Vudoo has a totally different feel. It feels like a full size rifle. If you are buying this as a trainer Vudoo is the obvious choice. If you can afford the Vudoo it is the obvious choice. If you are just using the rifle for target practice then the Tikka is hard to beat.

Vudoo, CZ, Tikka
678B7100-5F2C-48F8-8DEE-9C90DB677A2B.jpeg
8BC3B540-EDC1-4225-A6E3-20D9154467C6.jpeg
C8E2A354-6672-4B4D-B3DD-EE7588BEC8B6.jpeg

I th
So I have a t1x in a bell and Carlson stock which I enjoy shooting out to 2-300 yards. I am not a competitor, but I do like shooting groups and steel at distance. I have done some research and can’t find a real definitive answer.

I curious if anyone has any real world accuracy comparison between the two. I’m sure the Vudoo will be more accurate, but is it 3x the cost more accurate? My normal range gun is a fn spr, so the 700 footprint isn’t a big deal to me, just want an accurate repeater and wondering if I should upgrade.

Thanks for any help and sorry for the long post,
I think its an unanswerable question. To some people a tenth is worth $1000 , to many it is not.

Reactions: rick137
I have a factory Tikka in a Bravo, a Custom T1x, a factory CZ 457 and a chassis and a Vudoo. The Vudoo shoots better than all but my custom Tikka. The custom Tikka shoots just as well as The Vudoo. I didn’t however put a drop in barrel I it. I had a smith custom chamber and fit the barrel. Is the Vudoo 3x better, no it isn’t in my opinion. Was it worth 3x the cost to me, yes. The Vudoo has a totally different feel. It feels like a full size rifle. If you are buying this as a trainer Vudoo is the obvious choice. If you can afford the Vudoo it is the obvious choice. If you are just using the rifle for target practice then the Tikka is hard to beat.

Vudoo, CZ, TikkaView attachment 7284113View attachment 7284127View attachment 7284129

All in, what are you in for the T1x? I bet with the barrel, fitting and a decent chassis, you are approaching 1500 if not more? At that price, the Vudoo starts to make more sense. And then there is resale. I had the option of putting more money into my CZ, but then I saw some of the best CZ built by leading smiths, not fetching anything when being resold. I ate the loss and moved to the v22. It is pretty cool though to be able to take a $400 gun and make it shoot as well as a 3k gun.

I think with everything I have about half of what I have in my Vudoo in the Tikka. Everyone says a Vudoo is $1800 but it seems like everyone forgets you still need a chassis or stock and a trigger which adds up fast. A good precision rig isn’t going to be cheap regardless of which way you go. With the Vudoo however you will have the resale if you do decide to sell it. With a Tikka or CZ you will lose money.

my Tikka in a bravo chassis feels the same as my other Bravo rifles. Feels like a full size rifle. I have never shot a Vudoo but now I am curious

I’m only in about $800 for the rifle and stock. If I added an IBI barrel, I would be all in about $1200 minus optics. So about half the price of a vudoo.

I agree with a lot of posts that the vudoo will likely be nicer, but I just enjoy shooting and money isn’t on the line.

thanks again for all the replies

Reactions: lead ƒarmer
If you can get the stock and trigger you want with the tikka, maybe not worth 3x more.

If you can’t, it’s worth it.

The other thing you get when you pay for a vudoo.....I promise you could pick up the vudoo from the gun shop, buy sk standard + or center ex ammo, dope it, and win a PRS style match with it the same day.

Most rifles like the tikkas and cz you have to ammo test to find brands your rifle liked.

I’ve never seen a vudoo that wouldn’t shoot lapua made ammo out the box well enough to win prs.

Tikka is not a vudoo. For me tikka is a trainer gun. And a damn good one for that.

The biggest issue I had with my Tikka was it wasn't dry fire safe. I practice a lot for PRS/NRL22 and have all sorts of barricades set up at home with moa sized targets out to 35 yards, or I can use my DFAT and do a bunch of target at 12 feet away. I couldn't get my Tikka magazines to reliably load 10 rounds, feed and extract correctly. And even then, I would spend a good minute or two running around my garage trying to find where the snap caps extracted.

I have probably dry fired my Vudoo about 2000 times in the past week while under quarantine, that practice is invaluable and one of the big factors that I'm super happy with it.

For people just starting out, I don't regret buying a Tikka at all. The 8 months I had with it, and the 7000 rounds I shot with it was a great and fun learning experience. The factory barrel will be fine. I'd just shoot it factory, get a KRG Bravo, buy a Bravo weight kit to weigh down the front to make it feel meatier, and just have fun.

If after shooting 5000 or so rounds and you really feel passionate about shooting and figure out what you're really into - Benchrest, Paper Groups, PRS, then you can have the confidence to know what you want next.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd do the same thing I did - I wouldn't spend 6 months saving up for a Vudoo and lose out on the 6 months of happy shooting and experience I got.

Littlepod is absolutely correct about this in my opinion. While I in most cases I will say buy one cry once this isn’t one of them. Buy what you can afford and go shoot. The skill I gained during the year I shot my Tikka in matches was invaluable. That skill will do a whole lot more for your match scores than any piece of gear or rifle you acquire. I bought a Vudoo as well but it was entirely because I just wanted one. My Tikka is absolutely capable of winning matches and it all comes down to the knuckle head behind the trigger and your skill with the rifle you have. At this point I have a Vudoo and a Tikka and I am still undecided about which one I will use for matches at this point. My Vudoo shoots like a Vudoo is known to shoot. That’s absolutely amazing. My Tikka however shoots just as well. Granted my Tikka has quite a bit of work done to it but even before the new barrel it was pretty impressive.

Thanks for the responses guys. I think I’m gonna stick with the tikka for now. I already have an upgraded stock and am seriously considering the IBI barrel with the Calfee IV chamber. I just want to squeeze a bit more accuracy out of it and I like messing with stuff.

Thanks for the responses guys. I think I’m gonna stick with the tikka for now. I already have an upgraded stock and am seriously considering the IBI barrel with the Calfee IV chamber. I just want to squeeze a bit more accuracy out of it and I like messing with stuff.

I have 2 Custom build Centerfire, one on a Bat action, the other a Stiller Diamondback. Once you go custom, it is hard to go back. As for Rimfire. I have a all Kidd Supergrade in a titan stock, with Titan rear anchor, CZ 455 Varmint and a Tikka T1X ( both stock factory ). All shoot very good. I have shot a Vudoo, it feels just like my custom centerfires. I shot a 200yds steel match that day with the Vudoos. I tied for 1st with Tikka, shooting 38 out of 40 targets, beating 3 Vudoos. the guy I tied with was shooting a 40X. Then I shot the Kidd, shooting 37 out of 40 for second. Three gun topped the Vudoo's "that day". When you past 100 yds you are in a new ball game, it is all about the ammo, wind, and the shooter. The wind will blow a Vudoo as much as a Tikka, or any other gun. Now it is all how the shooter can read the wind and how lucky you can hit ( just hitting the edge of the target saving a miss ). The record for the match is 39 out of 40. In one match I hit 39 out 40, but 2 targets did not fall for a 37.
Now as far as getting you money back. When you start customizing any gun, or buying a full custom like a Vudoo or my Custom centerfire. YOU ARE NOT GOING TO GET YOUR MONEY BACK! All that said I will get a Vudoo some day.
Mark

I have a Vudoo barelled action arriving tomorrow. T1X will be for the kids and GF. That way we can all have twice as much fun. Area 419 Timney Diamond triggers were on sale. PX Bravo stock. Athlon in a Spurh mount. Just need a GD range to open up.

I have been shooting since I was 18. Ccv competed in various competitions. There are 2 firearms that revolutionized shooting to me. Inventing the wheel kind of change. One of those is a Vudoo rifle. I have had about 8 cz 457s, tikka t1, bergara, and a kidd in the last year. Sold them and bought my first vudoo. Then slowly started reacquirung rifles. Again sold them bought a 2nd vudoo. It's like riding a Harley Davidson. Once you ride one you will never go back. And shooting a vudoo is the same way. My first vudoo with a specific lot of sk rifle match with less than 500 rounds through it fired 18 5 shot groups and the avg before blowing a group.... .248.

Vudoo just does it better. And it's easier to shoot. FORGIVING. After I shoot 2shots in a 5 shot group I know where the next 3 are going.

I strongly considered the tikka before getting a Vudoo. Biggest thing for me was trigger options. I have had accu-triggers in savages, yo Dave trigger kits in CZ455, bx triggers (not a kidd which I guess is The cats ass for 10/22) and none of them can hold a candle to the TT Diamond in my rifle. Adjustability and safe function, it’s so hard to think of having anything else now.

I thought I would be done when I bought the vudoo... what else could you possibly need/want?

Well nakoa01 has it right...you want ANOTHER vudoo Configured for a different application.

When I spoke to them a month or so ago, they had mentioned someone that had 8 freaking V22s. I thought, why the hell would you need that many!?!?!?!? Now I get it.

Reactions: BigRed308
What does it cost to set up a Vudoo, without a scope and mounts? My Tikka was $452 out the door, $132 Jard trigger + $8 shipping and $65 of stock upgrades from Tikka, $657 total.

IMHO a Tikka/ Vudoo comparison is like comparing a good German made pocket knife to a Case you'd buy at wally world. Yes they'll both sharpen and cut, but use them for while and you'll see why the German knife costs more.

Now compare the Vudoo to a RimX and it's apples to apples.

Your question about the TIKKA VS Vudoo is fair. It all comes down to what you want to do with it. I dont shoot NRL but i have been to a few matches. The last match i was at a guy with a stock 1022 with a Simmons scope won it. What that told me was . And i own several Vudoos. Is he was prepared for the match. Hell he won it and several Vudoos were there. But it didnt matter he put in the time to win. Is a Vudoo more accurate the a 1022 yes it is every day. Bit the shooter is what makes it work. So as much a i like the vudoo if you are not good a 1022 or Tikka will hand you your ass.

Reactions: trob and littlepod
Your question about the TIKKA VS Vudoo is fair. It all comes down to what you want to do with it. I dont shoot NRL but i have been to a few matches. The last match i was at a guy with a stock 1022 with a Simmons scope won it. What that told me was . And i own several Vudoos. Is he was prepared for the match. Hell he won it and several Vudoos were there. But it didnt matter he put in the time to win. Is a Vudoo more accurate the a 1022 yes it is every day. Bit the shooter is what makes it work. So as much a i like the vudoo if you are not good a 1022 or Tikka will hand you your ass.

^^^^^^^ THIS!!!

I’m the guy that has a vudoo but needs lots of practice at the “game” of NRL22. I have a setup that puts the place I come in directly on my abilities... my rifles abilities will best me every single time.

I’m slowly learning, especially with rifles, to get want I actually want the first time. If not, I spend a bunch of money on something that I will end up getting rid of eventually just to buy what I really wanted in the first place.

Wise words right here. Wish I had said this to myself and believed it about 6 years ago.

Well I’m the OP and I just couldn’t help myself. A fellow member was selling this rifle for a great deal so I jumped on the Vudoo bandwagon and threw one of my NF on it. It’s an 18” MTU in an AICS AT chassis.
I have absolutely loved the tikka and it’s a great shooter, but I should’ve just done like I always do and buy once cry once. Plus one of my buddies wants a nice 22 so he’s gonna but the tikka from me.
B06E9DA2-F64D-44D3-82A2-FC4C4E4F30D5.jpeg