• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

VV N160 Load advice

YetiSlayer

Private
Minuteman
Jun 27, 2010
Hillsboro, Oregon
So here is the deal. I made a great score on a 8 pound keg of Vihtavuori N160. I would like to use this powder for my Remington 700MLR .338 LM but the heaviest bullet that they have load data for is for a 225gr. bullet. I prefer 250gr. bullets and was wondering if anyone has any advice since the 700MLR only runs a 24" barrel and not a 28" to 30" barrel that most other .338LM have. Any ideas? I could load 225gr bullets but I already have so many 250gr ones and getting bullets is not exactly easy.

Thanks.

I've been eyeing your post all day, my first impression is that it's too fast of a powder. Went to Lapua's website, load data and they don't recommend it either for bullets above 225. You may get lucky, but usually heavier bullets, slower powder.
Good luck;

Products - Lapua

N560 would have been more forgiving.

I've been eyeing your post all day, my first impression is that it's too fast of a powder. Went to Lapua's website, load data and they don't recommend it either for bullets above 225. You may get lucky, but usually heavier bullets, slower powder.
Good luck;

Products - Lapua

N560 would have been more forgiving.

I was thinking the same thing, too fast of a burn rate for that combo......After a lot of testing with N-150 I find its closer to Varget than H4350 in burn rate contrary to what the burn charts say, I've never shot N-160 but talked to guys that have and they said it wasn't that far off from H4350 so i would guess N-170 would be a better fit for his application but it don't hurt to try N-160 if he has it on hand.

Last edited:
I think it is going to be too fast also. I use N160 in 243, 30-06 7.5x55 and 260. Was too fast for 300 Rum and 7 mag. Even with lighter bullets. Can always give it a whirl but even if get it to group going to be lacking in speed.

N160 runs very close to H4350 and really is too fast for .338, N165 is really what you need for the 250's.

Thanks for the replies guys. Your answers were pretty much what I figured, but it never hurts to ask a dumb question. A couple more dumb questions if you all don't mind. Do you all think that it still adequate for 225 gr. bullets in the .338LM? I can always get a bunch of 225gr bullets an develop a load for it. Or, should I task it to another caliber? After perusing VV's load manual this seems to be a real niche powder, mainly for the .30 caliber family of magnums. The problem is that I got it for only $100 and these days you do not pass up a good powder deal when it presents itself. I was really hoping to use it on my .338 since it is by far my most powder hungry (and most shot) rifle.

Last edited:
Shooting the 225's is purely your decision, the trend has been to go with the high bc heavies. Don't fret on the 160, it's good for a lot of 6.5's, 270. some 7mm's, 22-250 and more.

I use N160 in both my .260's and have used it in .243. Very good and consistent powder. Costs around $100 for 2.2lbs over here, very nice score...!