• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing (w/ pics)Need some advice...

--BLACKOUT--

Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2011
    Silver City, New Mexico
    So, I finally got my Mcmillan stock in and installed my Timney trigger. The barreled action fit fine putting it together with the factory trigger and CDI bottom metal. Now, with the wider Timney trigger the bottom metal won't seat all the way flush. It appears the bottom metal inlet is a little off center... or the action and barrel channel is off center. Either way, what are my options to fix my problem? I can put up some pictures if needed.

Trigger sits off to one side
    2dwi69l.jpg

Bottom metal has small gap on one side
    23v0uhw.jpg

Shimmy it around and get BM flush, action is pushed up.
    afbll3.jpg

Thanks for the help!

Re: Need some advice...

i've read that the timney's sometimes require a small amount of stock to be ground out for fitting. I don't have mine in yet or I could tell you for sure.

Assemble the barreled action completely stripped of trigger, bolt release, etc.

Stick your floor metal in it and see how it lines up. Likely, (as mentioned) your trigger isn't "dropping in" the factory inlet. A Dremel is one way to resolve it, but if you have access to a mill it will go a long way to making stuff "under the hood" as nice as whats on the outside.

Worse comes to worse, you can send it here. We inlet every stock we build a rifle on from scratch. Done every day and we do it well.

Good luck either way.

C.

Chad, I'd like to hear your take on how to fix this now that there are some pics to look at. Or any other qualified Gunsmith. Again, thanks for the help.

How I do it differs from just about everyone. We build all our guns on blank stocks. If you sent this to us we'd start over. Fill the stock, inlet, bed, and finish.

Easy here as we have the process nailed and the equipment to do it with total confidence. For a guy at home it'd likely be a daunting task. (I sure as hell wouldn't try it)

In a pinch the best I could offer is oversize everything, bed the action, bed the floor metal, clearance the trigger well, paint, assemble. Set your bedding up to center on the barrel channel. A pinch fat/thin on the bedding won't be nearly as noticeable as a barrel running sideways.

Hope this helps.

C.

Have you bedded the barreled action in the stock yet? I can't tell from the pictures.

I have not bedded the stock yet. I was just seeing how it all came together. Would bedding it help me fix the problem w/o inletting it all over again?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jammer61</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have not bedded the stock yet. I was just seeing how it all came together. Would bedding it help my fix the problem w/o inletting it all over again? </div></div>

If you are already having fitting issues, bedding it would not help. Get everything to sit nicely where it goes, and then decide if you want to bed it or not.

As seen in the bottom pic in my first post, when the BM is flush the trigger is up against one of the sides. The action and barrel channel seem to be straight... Measuring with just my eye, the BM inlet is what's crooked. That's how I see it.

Re: (w/ pics)Need some advice...

Jammer, who inletted the stock for your CDI metal? If MCM or Jeff @ CDI did the work, I would be surprised if it was incorrect.

If you assemble everything without the Timney trigger is the bottom metal fit correct? ie "straight" If the answer is yes then the problem lies in the new trigger, if it is still not right without the trigger, the inletting is off. I hope this helps and makes sense.....

The stock was inletted by Mcmillan and I do believe it is slightly off to one side. I had to open up the mag well a bit for my Alpha mags to seat all the way up. When I got the mag to seat right, that's when I discovered the problem with the bottom metal. The Timney trigger is straight, I don't think there is a way to put it on crooked. I'll take a few more pics to show what I'm seeing.

I was going to shave it down when I first looked at it. But after I took some time to examine it before chewing away at it, I determined it was off and no matter how much I shaved down it would've still sit off to one side. That's how I see it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Assemble the barreled action completely stripped of trigger, bolt release, etc.

Stick your floor metal in it and see how it lines up. Likely, (as mentioned) your trigger isn't "dropping in" the factory inlet. A Dremel is one way to resolve it, but if you have access to a mill it will go a long way to making stuff "under the hood" as nice as whats on the outside.

Worse comes to worse, you can send it here. We inlet every stock we build a rifle on from scratch. Done every day and we do it well.

Good luck either way.

C. </div></div>

There ya go,
    Box that shit up and send it to Chad.

If your sure it is the stock send it back to McMillan. It has a lifetime guarantee, they stand behind there stocks, call them and talk to them that would be my first choice.

Sounds like the bottom metal inlet is off, if that is the case send it back and have it straightend out, no use fighting it.

With the correct inletting done it will fit like a glove. CDI makes a good product that fit's.

Good Luck, please keep us posted on how this plays out!

***Update***

So, after thinking my inlet was crooked and I'd have to send it off to get fixed some way, some how it all came together. The Grandparents came over to see the kids and my grandpa came to the garage to see what I was doing. I told him something was off and I'd have to send it off to get fixed. He grabs the air hose and sprays the inlets out and says, "now try it." That erks me even more because I've spent hours trying to figure out the problem and some compressed air is going to fix the problem? Yea, right. I'm frustrated, so I leave to say "hi" to everyone and I'll just mess with it later.

Couple hours later, go back to try it out one more time and shit goes together almost flawlessly. One thing I figure out that I missed the first go around was the pin behind the trigger wasn't fitting in the BM where its supposed to, thus pushing up the action. Filed each side down just a tad and fuckin walaa, fit together like it should have in the first place. I don't know if something got blown out by the air that I couldn't see that was causing the action to be turned a little off or the gun gods had pitty on me but I was fuckin stoked it worked.

Now I just need to get it bedded and painted and I'll be good to go. Thanks to everyone that chipped in with some help and advice. I tried it all and something worked. Again, thanks for helping a guy out.

I'll get picks up when she's all done. Can't wait to get shooting!