• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Suppressors WA silencer bill (5112) vote may be close.

Ranb

Private
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2008
Belfair, WA
One of our friends on the Subguns board says he got a message from Joe Waldron (WA Arms Collectors) saying that the Senate vote will not be the landslide it was in the House. He thinks the vote will be next week. Link to Subguns thread. WA state SB5112 update write your senators!!

All it takes is an e-mail to remind them. Find your Senator here; Find Your Legislator

List of Senator e-mail addresses here; https://dlr.leg.wa.gov/MemberEmail/Default.aspx?Chamber=S Even if you wrote them last month, it is a good idea to write to them again. We have the whole weekend to write to every one of these people. This is the best chance we'll ever have to change the law, so let's not blow it.
smile.gif

Write up a nice short e-mail telling them why you feel they should vote yes on bill 5112 and send it to as many as you can. You can remind them that no one showed in Olympia during the Judiciary hearings to oppose the bills, that there is very little crime associated with suppressors and the police want this bill to pass.

The Washington Council of Police and Sheriffs (WACOPS) sent a representative to both Judiciary hearings and enthusiastically supported the bills. The police need this bill passed as the law currently forbids suppressor use by the police and military in WA State. Here is a link to their letter supporting the bill. http://s171.photobucket.com/albums/u320/ranb40/suppressors/?action=view&current=WACOPSletter.jpg

Cease Fire Washington is taking a neutral stance on the silencer use bill. Unfortunately I was not able to get this in writing from them. You can ask them to contact Michael Wolfe if they want his opinion on the issue.

Better that you send your e-mails to each Senator individually. Put all of the Senators on one e-mail and it might head for their spam directory instead of the in-box. Thanks.

Randy

Re: WA silencer bill (5112) vote may be close.

RanB,
Do you need me to post this in Biggerhammer for you?

I can do it. I forgot about them.
smile.gif

Ranb

RanB, have you posted this anywhere else? In the SHWW group on the members link up section? Tons of WA guys there, or maybe various suppressor manufacturers Facebook pages? Let us know and we will spread this.
Thanks

I posted this at;
Silencer Talk
AR15.com
Accurate Reloading
JREF
Northwest Liberty
The High Road
The Firing Line
Facebook
Biggerhammer
Subguns
Kitsap Sun Newspaper
Seattle Examiner
Northwest Firearms (my silencer bill "HQ")

Another guy is posting at Seattle Guns website for me.

I got another person to post at that wacko sight The Firearms Forum. It is only a matter of time before he manages to piss someone off there and get banned though. I got banned after the birthers and gun control freaks objected to me criticizing those who called silencers illegal.

I've been busy, but it is worth it.

Ranb

Has anyone heard anything? All of my Reps. were cool, no objections this time.

Bill 5112 (allow silencer use) is stuck in committee and going to die unless it is pulled from the Rules committee for a third reading (vote on the Senate floor) by March 7th. I cannot emphasis enough the importance that all WA residents interested in silencer use must call their Senator and members of the Rules committee on the phone to urge them to pull bill 5112 from the calendar for a third reading.

Rules committee members http://www.leg.wa.gov/Senate/Committ...bersStaff.aspx

The last Rules committee hearing consisted of a “package pull” of bills that had no opposition and were expected to pass with little or no debate. I do not know why Bill 5112 was not included in the package pull since it had no opposition in the Senate Judiciary hearing, was not debated at all at the Judiciary executive hearing and was unanimously sent along with a do pass recommendation. I am not aware of any opposition to the bill 5112, and only 4 Representatives voted against the companion bill in the House. One of the Senate aides I spoke to said there was some opposition to the bill, but she would not be specific.

The price of a dozen two minute long distance phone calls is a small one to pay to enjoy the use of silencers in WA. We have until March 7th to get bill 5112 a vote on the Senate floor. If you can, call as many of the Rules committee members as you can. The most important ones to call are the chairman, vice-chairman and the Democrats.

One of their aides will answer the phone when you call, not the Senator. When I call, I tell them my name and city/state and that I am calling to express my support of bill 5112. The aide will probably suggest that you contact your Senator and the bill sponsors, but tell them you have already done so and want to know why bill 5112 has not been pulled from the calendar any sent to the floor for a vote. Ask them if their Senator intends to allow to pull the bill from the calendar and send it to the floor. If they do not say yes, press them for a reason why. Ask them who is opposed to the bill and why. End your conversation with a request that they pass along your concerns to the Senator.

Chances are you will have to leave a message if you call the chairman (the Lt Gov) or vice chairman. If you are not able to get through to the vice-chairman, keep calling until you do. Some of the aides will be in a rush to finish the call, others will want to talk. The Republicans will probably blame the Democrats for holding things up. If they do, ask them what they will do to help pull the bill from the calendar. Good luck and keep dialing.

Randy

I will try and call on Monday. We need to make this happen. Can you post up the phone numbers? We need to get those phone numbers in the SHWW thread, way more WA people read there.

CJG

Clicking on my link above says the adress changed, that is strange. http://www.leg.wa.gov/Senate/Committees/RULE/Pages/MembersStaff.aspx

Senator Room Phone
Owen, Brad (D) Chair LEG 220 (360) 786-7700
Prentice, Margarita (D) Vice Chair LEG 312 (360) 786-7616
Hewitt, Mike (R) * LEG 314 (360) 786-7630
Brown, Lisa (D) LEG 307 (360) 786-7604
Carrell, Mike (R) INB 102 (360) 786-7654
Eide, Tracey (D) LEG 305 (360) 786-7658
Fraser, Karen (D) LEG 404 (360) 786-7642
Harper, Nick (D) JAC 226 (360) 786-7674
Haugen, Mary Margaret (D) JAC 305 (360) 786-7618
Keiser, Karen (D) JAC 224 (360) 786-7664
King, Curtis (R) INB 205 (360) 786-7626
Kline, Adam (D) JAC 223 (360) 786-7688
Kohl-Welles, Jeanne (D) JAC 219 (360) 786-7670
McAuliffe, Rosemary (D) LEG 403 (360) 786-7600
Parlette, Linda Evans (R) LEG 316 (360) 786-7622
Pflug, Cheryl (R) LEG 415 (360) 786-7608
Rockefeller, Phil (D) JAC 218 (360) 786-7644
Schoesler, Mark (R) INB 110 (360) 786-7620
Stevens, Val (R) INB 105 (360) 786-7676
White, Scott (D) LEG 402 (360) 786-7690
Zarelli, Joseph (R) INB 204 (360) 786-7634

Ranb

call these at lunch time, 1/2 "Yes whatever" other 1/2 "Yes we know about the bill and support it, and very sure it will go through"

You talked to the Senator or the aide? I have yet to be able to actually speak to one of the committee members on the phone. The aides I have asked have not set up a time where I could speak to a committee member on the phone either. I am in Hawaii for another week, so meeting with them is out of the question for now.

Did any of those Senators actually say they would pull the bill? If they did not say that, then they are blowing smoke.

Ranb

I wouldn't count on anything they "say" but what they actually do. It wouldn't be the first they told you what you want to hear so you go away..

We shoot in WA all the time and i sure hope this passes.

Just called my districts senator Phil Rockefeller who is on the rules committe. Only talked to the aid. The bill is on the green sheet but it needs one more pull to get schedule for a vote on the floor. She said Phil has reveiwed the bill and supports it but that it is not one of his sponsored bills. He has about 8 sponsered bills that he will use his pulls for but once those are through it would be supposedly in his binder and could be pulled. The aid told me they had another rules committe meeting yesterday where more bills were pulled and there is likely to be several more. She said a lot of times the meetings are convened with little notice, yesterdays meeting was only 3 hours notice. So I think Phil is a deffenite maybe. She also said they are getting calls on 5112 every couple minutes today and its one of the hotter ones. All we can do is keep calling!

CJG

I also called Schoesler. On the rules committee and also a sponser of the bill. This is the only bills psonser that is on the rules committe. He has about 25 bills that he wants to get pulled and supposedly this one is towards the top. I asked if they had a few more meetings would this one get pulled and she said it "looks pretty good and the senator would like to get this one through this year."

If your going to call make sure and call:

I think its best to really push the bill spnnser to get it out of the rules committe that he sits on. Its totaly in his power to pull the bill we just need to make it his priority.

CJG

Guys, I live in WA and unfortunately am totally unaware of the bill and it's contents.

I am a member at Cascade Pistol and Rifle, Ravensdale, WA, help me out.

Is there a way you can:

1) Link to some kind of brief of the pending leg

2) Give me 3-6 talking points I can say to the legislator when I talk to him

3) Give me some kind of idea of time frames, if there is anything to know.

I realize with some work I could figure this out, but I would rather spend that time informing the over 1000 members of our club.

Thanks.

I got three phone calls in yesterday, but that is all. being out of country working is making it hard plus my skype connection was cutting out on me. I called my senator Kevin Rankers office and spoke to his aid. The aid took my info and postion on the bill, and will pass it on to the senator, but could not give me an answer on the senators stance. Also i made two calls to some of the rules members. Mike Hewitt (R) is for it, but his aide would not say if he will pull it to the floor. Brad Owens(D) aide gave me the run around, and didn't say much if Brad would be for or against the bill if it came to the floor.

i will try tomorrow for more if i get a minute away from work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mayday</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got three phone calls in yesterday, but that is all. </div></div>

Thank you. If you are able to call, please call Senator Shoesler (most important as he is a sponsor and Rules committee member) and ask him if he intends to pull the bill. Pulling the bill means it is sent to be read a second and possibly a third(vote on Senate floor) time. Nothing else matters, if he will not pull the bill, it will die. No one else on the Rules committee is wiling to pull the bill. Schoesler is the only person on the Rules committee that is a 5112 sponsor. So it is up to him.

I am also trying to call and get through directly to Schoesler, but his aide keeps on giving me the "we are considering it" crap. Thanks for your help.

Ranb

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outerspace</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys, I live in WA and unfortunately am totally unaware of the bill and it's contents.

Is there a way you can:

I realize with some work I could figure this out, but I would rather spend that time informing the over 1000 members of our club.

Thanks. </div></div>

here is the bill digest. Should give you talking points also.

SENATE BILL REPORT
SB 5112
As of February 8, 2011
Title: An act relating to firearm noise suppressors.
Brief Description: Changing restrictions on firearm noise suppressors.
Sponsors: Senators Hatfield, Honeyford, Sheldon and Schoesler.
Brief History:
Committee Activity: Judiciary: 1/26/11.
SENATE COMMITTEE ON JUDICIARY
Staff: Lidia Mori (786-7755)
Background: Washington law does not regulate the possession of firearm suppressors.
However, it is a gross misdemeanor crime in Washington for any person to use any device or
contrivance for suppressing the noise of any firearm.
Federal law defines the term firearm silencer or firearm muffler as "any device for silencing,
muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts,
designed or redesigned, and intended for the use in assembling or fabricating a firearm
silencer or firearm muffler, and any part intended only for use in such assembly or
fabrication."
Under federal law, the National Firearms Act (NFA) regulates the manufacture, importation,
and transfer of firearm silencers and mufflers, as well as certain other weapons. Items
regulated under the NFA are referred to as NFA firearms. The NFA firearms must be
registered in a database maintained by the National Firearms Act Branch of the Bureau of
Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF). Only the manufacturer, importer, or
maker of the NFA firearm may register it with the ATF.
A person wishing to obtain a firearm silencer or other NFA firearm has to obtain a
certification from the local chief law enforcement officer, undergo a background check,
obtain prior approval for the transfer, and pay a $200 tax on the transaction. Under the NFA,
a person is allowed to make his or her own silencer or other NFA firearm by applying to the
ATF and meeting certain requirements. These requirements include: obtaining prior
––––––––––––––––––––––
This analysis was prepared by non-partisan legislative staff for the use of legislative
members in their deliberations. This analysis is not a part of the legislation nor does it
constitute a statement of legislative intent.
Senate Bill Report - 1 - SB 5112
approval and registration of the item, obtaining a certification from the chief of the local law
enforcement agency, undergoing a background check, and paying a $200 tax on the item.
Summary of Bill: The crime of using a contrivance or device for suppressing the noise of a
firearm is amended to exempt the use of a suppressor that is legally registered and possessed
in accordance with federal law.
Appropriation: None.
Fiscal Note: Not requested.
Committee/Commission/Task Force Created: No.
Effective Date: Ninety days after adjournment of session in which bill is passed.
Staff Summary of Public Testimony: PRO: According to the federal government, these
items are legal and there are fees associated with owning a noise suppressor. This bill will
help people who live near firearm ranges. Thirty-eight states allow the purchase of a
suppressor; Washington is the only one that prohibits their use. Even law enforcement can't
use one. Problems with noise complaints are solved with this bill. A person has to hold a
license to have one and the license is to the person; plus you have to have a background
check, even if the person has a concealed pistol license. This bill will greatly help firearm
retailers to be able to become familiar with their inventory. Millions of dollars are spent on
suppressors that are made in other states. Washington should join with the other states that
allow people who are federally registered to use firearm noise suppressors. This bill makes
gun ranges safer and it will not make it easier for criminals to own or use suppressors.
Persons Testifying: PRO: Senator Hatfield, prime sponsor; Brian Wurts, WA Council of
Police & Sheriffs; Ed Owens, Hunters Heritage Council; Thomas Liemohn; Caleb Mason;
Brian Schilt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outerspace</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys, I live in WA and unfortunately am totally unaware of the bill and it's contents.

Is there a way you can:

Thanks. </div></div>

Time frames:
They are about half way through the legislative session. Ass they vote on items on the calender they call meetings of the rules committee which decides what will get on the schedule to get voted on. Each senator on the committee is only allowed to pick so many bills. these are called "pulls" each member on the rules committee gets the same number of "pulls". We do not no how many more meetings they will have. most likely at least a couple maybe more. We need someone on the rules committee to use one of their "pulls" to get this bill on the floor.

CJG

Ok, I have passed along a detailed email to our Club leadership, will see what happens. Am calling Senators right now.

Rules committee meets today at 2pm, GOP senators are saying that they will pull it, Dem Senators have no clue.

Call these Senators, they are on the Rules Committee:

Senator Room Phone
Owen, Brad (D) Chair LEG 220 (360) 786-7700
Prentice, Margarita (D) Vice Chair LEG 312 (360) 786-7616
Hewitt, Mike (R) * LEG 314 (360) 786-7630
Brown, Lisa (D) LEG 307 (360) 786-7604
Carrell, Mike (R) INB 102 (360) 786-7654
Eide, Tracey (D) LEG 305 (360) 786-7658
Fraser, Karen (D) LEG 404 (360) 786-7642
Harper, Nick (D) JAC 226 (360) 786-7674
Haugen, Mary Margaret (D) JAC 305 (360) 786-7618
Keiser, Karen (D) JAC 224 (360) 786-7664
King, Curtis (R) INB 205 (360) 786-7626
Kline, Adam (D) JAC 223 (360) 786-7688
Kohl-Welles, Jeanne (D) JAC 219 (360) 786-7670
*Ranking Minority Member

1911fan

Alright, I called them all, sound pretty good, no one is opposed, a couple said they would like to move the bill forward.

Ok, here's an update as of 1230PM Wednesday. The bill is sitting in the Senate Rules Committee. It must be 'pulled', brought to the floor for a vote, by any Senator, to make it any further this year. Senator Schoesler is a sponsor, I've already left a message at his and at Senator Owen's office requesting the bill be pulled.

1911fan

Been on all morning, was able to reach all of them. Am hoping the gun club gets the info in time. We need all the help we can get.

Just talked to Senator Hewitt's office- it's already scheduled to be pulled today, and she said it's going to happen. I asked her what to do next (She was VERY helpful, wish I'd written down her name) and she said to wait until after the Rules Committee meeting is over (after 3pm) and call Senators Eide and Brown. Tell them that "SB5112 has been pulled from Rules and you want it placed on the floor calendar".

1911fan

I'm also a member of the Cascade Pistol and Rifle Club here in Washington and have been calling all morning, as well. Senator Schoesler's aide made it sound like they've been slammed with requests to pull 5112, so to the lurkers that are reading this forum: now is an <span style="font-weight: bold">excellent</span> time to call.

Besides, my TRG-22 doesn't want to have to travel out-of-state to shoot its new TigerShark can once the stamp is approved
cool.gif

Don't forget, once it makes it through the House and Senate, it must be signed by the governor to become law. We may need to call, email, and write to her to make that happen.
I was just talking to a friend of mine (owns a gun store) and he told me about a state court decision allowing a Bremerton range's members to use legally owned suppressors in response to neigbor's noise complaints. Looks like we're headed to legal use in our state, one way or another. Let's get this law changed! Looks like this year is our best chance so far.

1911fan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">a state court decision allowing a Bremerton range's members to use legally owned suppressors</div></div>

I believe the decision was to allow the range to use structural noise-suppression (i.e. a freestanding box to baffle the noise), not suppressors actually attached to firearms. But still, there's certainly a desire to cut back on firearm noise. I agree that the next logical step would be something akin to HB 1016 and SB 5112.

For reference: http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2011/jan/09/rifle-and-revolver-club-gets-clarification-on-of/

I stand corrected- thanks for educating me. I just hope we get all the way this time, and can use our legally owned toys legally in our home state.

1911fan

Just called Sen Eide's office. Rules committee meeting has been rescheduled to 5 or 5:30 PM. I asked if they would be manning the phones afterwards and I told her there are a lot of people wanting to know if it gets pulled. She said she wasnt sure but the meetings only last about 30min - 1hr. She said they have been getting a lot of calls about 5112 so thats good.
Once the bill is pulled the floor leader decides the order in which bills are read on the floor. the floor leader is Sen Eide.
So once it gets pulled we need to all call Eide and push to get it scheduled for the floor ASAP. we need to push push push.

CJG

SB 5112 was just placed on the Second Reading Calendar by the Rules Committee.

Here's to an easy passage on the floor and signature (or, more accurately, no veto) from the governor.

We're almost there. Keep up the pressure.

History of the bill as pulled from the Legislature website, new as of Wednesday, March 2, 2011 6:11 PM

Sponsors: Senators Hatfield, Honeyford, Sheldon, Schoesler
Companion Bill: HB 1016

2011 REGULAR SESSION
Jan 14 First reading, referred to Judiciary. (View Original Bill)
Jan 26 Public hearing in the Senate Committee on Judiciary at 1:30 PM. (Committee Materials)
Feb 8 Executive action taken in the Senate Committee on Judiciary at 10:00 AM. (Committee Materials)
Feb 9 JUD - Majority; do pass. (Majority Report)
Feb 10 Passed to Rules Committee for second reading.
Made eligible to be placed on second reading.
Mar 2 Placed on second reading by Rules Committee

That last line wasn't there an hour or so ago.

1911fan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rotortuner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Once the bill is pulled the floor leader decides the order in which bills are read on the floor. the floor leader is Sen Eide.
So once it gets pulled we need to all call Eide and push to get it scheduled for the floor ASAP. we need to push push push.</div></div>

And.... here's the number. Start calling tomorrow!
Eide, Tracey (D) (360) 786-7658

1911fan

Great news. I know that each of the aids I talked to was relatively familiar with the bill and most said they had received a lot of phone calls. This is great. I really hope this gets through and fixes the stupid grey area.

CJG

How does Kline sound on it? He's such a anti tool he's only friends to liberal greenies. If he does allow it to move my bet is there is a trade off some where, sorta I did this for you now you need to do this for me!

thanks for all the info you guys have posted .
there is really no excuse for any of us here not be making our voice heard on this . even if you dont own a suppressor show your support for our state trying to move in a positive direction .
SHOOT OFF AN EMAIL AND PICK UP THE PHONE.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 264win</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thanks for all the info you guys have posted .
there is really no excuse for any of us here not be making our voice heard on this . even if you dont own a suppressor show your support for our state trying to move in a posative direction .
SHOOT OFF AN EMAIL AND PICK UP THE PHONE. </div></div>
I have called emailed all, I have even had face to face with Parlette, I refuse to deal with Kline again, which is probably a good thing as we have had "words" over another issue regarding dirt bikes getting plates and trail closures. He and I don't see eye to eye nor do we have any good feelings toward each other and I did riemind him he's a pompous ass with only those who bought h in his interests.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mstennes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How does Kline sound on it?</div></div>

Haven't spoken to his office, but he did vote in favor of passing it out of the judicial committee with a "do pass" recommendation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kaelyrin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mstennes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How does Kline sound on it?</div></div>

Haven't spoken to his office, but he did vote in favor of passing it out of the judicial committee with a "do pass" recommendation. </div></div>
Scary part of that, as anti orv, anti gun, etc, hes a tool, he wants something in exchange, thats what scares me.

I'm not so sure it will be today - it isn't high lighted yellow and the far right column doesn't have a date in it like some of the other bills listed. :-(

Call!! Email!!! Get off your butt and DO IT!!!

Just spoke with Senator Brown's aide. She says that Senator Brown "totally gets it" when it comse to legal suppressor use, due to a situation in her home district, and she is all for passing 5112. Probably not a bad idea to call in and voice support. Her office number is (360)768-7604.
I've called Senator Eide's office several times and left voice mail each time, her number is (360) 786-7658. No idea where she stands on the bill as I've not heard back.
Also, the bills on the calendar that are highlited in yellow are the ones that passed yesterday, March 2. I don't know how often they update it, but I'll keep checking. That's the nice thing about being on vacation in Hawaii this week.
grin.gif

1911fan

PS: We will need to write Gregoire and urge her to sign it into law also. Get those calls and letters going!