• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Waiting on Varget

fvalmostthere

Private
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2014
Put an order in at my lgs in January for varget and he has always been able to get me what I need. Since then I have seen varget available online only once at powder valley and it sold out in a day. I didn’t grab any because I already have some ordered through my local guy. Has anyone gone this same route and been able to get it locally or do I just need to give up and get it when I see it? Hate to do that to my local guy but I need it and I am less convinced by the day that they will ship it to small shops.

You gave your LGS a chance, they did not produce. I don't think you are under any kind of obligation to leave the order intact. If you need it and you can find it, buy it.

Powder Valley seems to be the place to watch. They were the only ones I saw get this most recent shipment. I’d cancel that order and watch for the next round.

I did the same. Was told it would be end of March, first week of April to be in, since it had to go through their distributor. Give it a couple more weeks.

Reactions: fvalmostthere
Considering it will last 40 plus years, I'd go ahead and buy whereever I saw it and risk having a bit more than you want. I did grab a pound of IMR4166 to try. Supposed to be very close to varget.

Reactions: C.R. Adams
Just got on to c what's up with Varget. Shit is always hard to find. Why don't they bump up production of it? Gets frustrating trying to chase this shit down all the time.

When the vendors get in their shipments, they fill backorders. What gets posted to the site is what they got over the back order. If the site will take a backorder, place the order, only way to reliably get some stuff.

Right now there are people panic buying the stuff that don't even shoot. I talked to a tech at hodgdon yesterday that said people are calling that have powder from the panic buying ten years ago. They are asking what cartridges they can load with it because they are having a shit fit now. They didn't even know what the powder was good for when they bought it.
The good news is hodgdon is getting regular shipments. The gentleman told me they missed a shipment by ten days and it started this waive of panic buying. Until all the chicken littles have enough powder to get them through the next apocalypse the supply is likely to be scarce. The best advice I can give is to put a backorder in with someone that will take backorders and wait for it to show up. If you find it available before your backorder is filled, buy a little to get you through. Sorry, rant over.

Supposedly h4895 is similar in burn rate to varget. And temp stable. Anyone have any input? Trying a load development with it this weekend.

How did it compare?
Depending on the cartridge I bet it was very close if not better than varget. My experience is that H4895 is equal to or better than varget in velocity and accuracy with a little less powder. Will check it out this summer on temp stability.

I’m loading 6gt and h4895 is a little too fast for it, or so the internet says. I’ll wait on varget, all our local comps have been postponed for the foreseeable future anyways

I ordered some online and the 2 sellers cancelled my order because their website oversold the powder so they had sent my money back...

I have to wonder when the next time anyone will get powder will be pandemic or not its more than fishy that you can't find powder or other supplies months before a crises then a pandemic and the mail is running shipments are going through just not those shipments but you can order junk from amazon and have it delivered to your home and much of it is from china and get it in just a few days . But powder its nowhere .

Looks like I got some in today not to brag too much :cool:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    558 KB · Views: 61
Reactions: acudaowner
Check out brunos reloading. Looks like they have 1#'s in stock. I tried ordering 10# but have only got confirmation the order was placed... we will see if their stock quantities were accurate. https://www.brunoshooters.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=808

There is where I have bought and they canceled my order.
I ordered 9Lbs from Basspro Shop and they confirmed the order but sent me an e-mail telling me it will be delayed even to 60 days...
I called the chat and they told me they don't have it but expect to get more in the end of march...
Funny, because now is the end of march...

I Already have 15Lbs which should last one year to me, but if the Varget wouldn't be available until there, I will try some IMR 4064.

Depending on the cartridge I bet it was very close if not better than varget. My experience is that H4895 is equal to or better than varget in velocity and accuracy with a little less powder. Will check it out this summer on temp stability.
What cartridge were you running in this instance?

Ordered an 8# jug from powder valley yesterday. When I ordered it said there were 12 in stock. Order went through and my account there says processing hazmat. Hoping it goes through, no confirmation email yet...

Not Varget, but as difficult as it difficult as it is to find, apparently manufactured from Unicorn tears and Sasquatch turds...
I found this last week...
8AD7123C-E225-4110-9EC6-FB181C796868.jpeg

Reactions: mtnhunter22
Ugh, ordered mine on Powder Valley on the 20th. Got my shipping tracking number on the 26th (I know how slammed they are, I'm not faulting them for that). Still hasn't been handed off to UPS. Getting antsy.