• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Walked out of new state of the art shooting range.

jff_stvns

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2008
So I go and buy a new handgun from this authorized dealer, and when I arrive I noticed it was a brand new facility.
I go in and purchase handgun via fast track ccw and could not get background check to comeback, no worries I will be back in the morning.

While I was waiting for background check I was checking out there new state of the art indoor range, man it was nice. So I go to the range counter and fill out paperwork for range card for in the morning. So I would have it all done when I came back in the next day.

Get there the next day with my other pistol and decide to go to range before I pick up my new pistol. So go to the range counter and show him my new card and get things going. I said I brought my own new in box ammo, figuring he wants to see it’s not reman, and he tells me I have to buy there ammo to shoot on there range even if it’s my own new ammo.

So he calls the owner over to talk to me and tells me the same thing, mind you the same guy that checked my paperwork for the new pistol I purchased the day before.

So the dude doesn’t even cut me a break after I bought a pistol from him the day before, I was fucking pissed, he leaves and I told the guy at the range counter to keep the new range card.

I then proceeded to go fill out the last few paperwork items and picked up my new pistol and walked out. Pisses me off that with all the price gouging with the ammo nowadays and then we get these guys making it even worse and making people buy the ammo at an even more inflated price to shoot at there range. Oh and the owner tells me he’s selling his ammo at competitive prices, I’m thinking yea you are.

Sorry but Im pretty sure he’s going to piss a lot of people off with those kind of bs practices and loose a lot of potential new customers. I know he definitely lost my buisness instantly. I am not going to name the particular buisness because he is not here to try and defend his Bull Shit practices.

So basically he looses my buisness because he does not get the sale for one box of ammo he wants to charge me for to shoot on his range after spending over $ 900.00 at his store the day before, lol.
I could of just bought the box and sent my ammo down range after that. No I will not give anyone my buisness that pulls that shit. One and done brother Im down the road.

Last edited:
So I go and buy a new handgun from this authorized H&K dealer, and when I arrive I noticed it was a brand new facility.
I go in and purchase handgun via fast track ccw and could not get background check to comeback, no worries I will be back in the morning.

While I was waiting for background check I was checking out there new state of the art indoor range, man it was nice. So I go to the range counter and fill out paperwork for range card for in the morning. So I would have it all done when I came back in the next day.

Get there the next day with my other pistol and decide to go to range before I pick up my new pistol. So go to the range counter and show him my new card and get things going. I said I brought my own new in box ammo, and he tells me I have to buy there ammo to shoot on there range.

So he calls the owner over to talk to me and tells me the same thing, mind you the same guy that checked my paperwork for the new pistol I purchased the day before.

So the dude doesn’t even cut me a break after I bought a pistol from him the day before, I was fucking pissed. He leaves and I told the range counter to keep the new range card.

I then proceeded to go fill out the last few paperwork items and picked up my new pistol and walked out. Pisses me off that with all the price gouging with the ammo nowadays and then we get these guys making it even worse and making people buy the ammo at an even more inflated price to shoot at there range.

Sorry but Im pretty sure he’s going to piss a lot of people off with those kind of bs practices and loose a lot of potential new customers. I know he definitely lost my buisness instantly. I am not going to name the particular buisness because he is not here to try and defend his Bull Shit practices.
That’s not an uncommon practice.

That’s pretty strange when I have been to multiple others that check my ammo and make sure it’s new and am on my way shooting with no problem.
Actually the first range I have ran across this issue, never have had this problem. Only time it’s a liability on there end is if it’s reman ammo. Then I think if there was a issue they may have some legal issues or you may have some legal issues as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chad03 and Fig
Total metal jacket to keep the lead dust down, that would be an insurance thing
It doesn't though it's a profit thing.

Profit from range fee

Profit from selling ammo

Profit from scrapping lead/jacket

Profit from scrapping brass

We would make $10-30,000 after a scrap run back in the day.

Why won’t you name the range?
The range is Pints & Pistol in Cocoa Fl, and the gun store I bought my pistol from on the inside was B&H Police supply, I don’t know how they are structured as a buisness if there the same or sharing a building or what. B&H Police supply used to be located on Merritt island from what I’m told, But Pints & Pistol is on my pistol sales receipt, it seems complicated, lol.

A gun store/range owner I was acquainted with years ago said there was essentially no money being made in the gun store. The range was the cash cow.

The indoor tange I use has a policy that any brass that hits the ground is theirs. I police my brass- at least everything on the shooter side of the stall. They don’t say dick about it.

No steel case, no steel core, I can understand. Only range bought ammo in rental guns, I understand. Only range bought ammo in a personal gun, however, is a non-starter.

So what if you bought the ammo there earlier and came back and wanted to use it?

Many public ranges are run by scumbags on the par with sleazy pawnshops and repo guys.

When I ran an outdoor range, we let people shoot whatever ammo they brought and pick up their own brass. After all, it was theirs.

So what if you bought the ammo there earlier and came back and wanted to use it?

Many public ranges are run by scumbags on the par with sleazy pawnshops and repo guys.

When I ran an outdoor range, we let people shoot whatever ammo they brought and pick up their own brass. After all, it was theirs.
Most do, like I said this was a first for me as well. It really sucked because it was brand new and looked really state of the art. Each bay seemed to have a computer IPad to track your target. I was super pumped to check it out and then they straight crossed the line with me and I had to walk away.

Reactions: Sniperwannabee
Wow, and I thought "Al's Guns and Liquor" was a figment of someone's imagination...

Then again, if patrons at a gastropub are buying premium burgers and microbrews, they probably can afford the premium price of ammo.
Then factor in the police supply, lol.

About .01% of the guys that are actually shooting on this site are shooting at a public range... Might tell ya something.
.01% might be a little bit of a stretch don’t you think ?

.01% might be a little bit of a stretch don’t you think ?
What you talkin’ bout? You’re the only one here that can’t shoot off his back porch or make an easy drive to a ‘honey hole’ on blm/forest land. At least, that’s what the preponderance of posts would lead one to believe.

What you talkin’ bout? You’re the only one here that can’t shoot off his back porch or make an easy drive to a ‘honey hole’ on blm/forest land. At least, that’s what the preponderance of posts would lead one to believe.
Is that right ? What might make you think that ? I have 125 acres of land I can do anything I want on but it is not in this state.
New to the area so Im not familiar with all the go no go areas to shoot as of yet.

Last edited:
1667447019123.png

meh it's their range, they can run it how they want

There is a place in Virginia with a shitty outdoor shooting range, its been here for 30 years at least (its FUDD central)
at one point in time they had a rule that said you must buy ammo here to shoot here or GTFO

I haven't been there in a long time, but I drive past it once in a while and its still standing after 30 or so years.
Now they say buy our ammo or pay a range fee of $25/hour
I am guessing ammo shortages triggered this policy change, but have no idea, just thought it was funny.

Reactions: RTH1800
How overpriced was the ammo?
It was definitely over the price when I bought mine at the time before all the ammo went up. Im not buying ammo at todays prices in till I have to.

View attachment 7990082

There is a place in Virginia with a shitty outdoor shooting range, its been here for 30 years at least (its FUDD central)
at one point in time they had a rule that said you must buy ammo here to shoot here or GTFO

I haven't been there in a long time, but I drive past it once in a while and its still standing after 30 or so years.
I am guessing ammo shortages triggered this policy change, but have no idea, just thought it was funny.
That’s right it is there rules and I will not be back, simple.

Reactions: Sniperwannabee
Is that right ? What might make you think that ?
Because a guy that can shoot off his back porch doesn’t need to make a thread about how his moral convictions were tested at a public range…

• Haha
Reactions: jff_stvns
If a range requires you to shoot their ammo that's fine. Their range, their rules. Good luck and good riddance. I don't shoot at public ranges anyway.

Under no circumstances will a range ever take my brass. Ever. No matter what. No exceptions.... EVER.

I haven't had my own range is quite a few years. I pay a decent price to avoid indoor/public ranges.

It’s an insurance deal the range has no say

If it is, which I doubt, then he needs to find a better insurer because not every indoor range I've been to requires you to use their ammo in your own firearms.

What I have seen to be a common denominator is requiring you to use their ammo on their rental guns.

Most do, like I said this was a first for me as well. It really sucked because it was brand new and looked really state of the art. Each bay seemed to have a computer IPad to track your target. I was super pumped to check it out and then they straight crossed the line with me and I had to walk away.

But yet you still spent $900 (or whatever it was) on a firearm there.

That'll show them.........

Pints and Pistols? HAHAHAHA!!
There is a place in Webaux, MT that advertises "Beer, Burgers and Bullets" and you can definitely get all 3 there.

Range about 20 minutes from me has the same ammo checking practices in place now post fire in backstop of indoor range.

Dan, you should know better than to pay any attention to Bay News 9.

We know the fire wasn't caused by a shooter, it was a direct result of a local meth head cooking their product on the roof.
The reason it kept reigniting was their use of Tesla battery packs as a power source. 🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 308pirate
Dan, you should know better than to pay any attention to Bay News 9.

We know the fire wasn't caused by a shooter, it was a direct result of a local meth head cooking their product on the roof.
The reason it kept reigniting was their use of Tesla battery packs as a power source. 🤣🤣
Funny a Tesla was just towed off he street yesterday on a flatbed although no fire

That’s pretty strange when I have been to multiple others that check my ammo and make sure it’s new and am on my way shooting with no problem.
Actually the first range I have ran across this issue, never have had this problem. Only time it’s a liability on there end is if it’s reman ammo. Then I think if there was a issue they may have some legal issues or you may have some legal issues as well.

If handloaded ammo was a liability it would never be allowed at any indoor range, anywhere. But that is not the case because it's allowed at several local indoor ranges.

Most of you people have zero idea how insurance for gun ranges work and are just guessing.

Reactions: hkguns
Many indoor ranges are concerned about steel core ammo ruining their backstops. The one I used to go to viewed it then ran a magnet over it.
Obviously not a problem shooting into an outdoor sand/dirt berm.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
I know of ranges that require you to shoot factory ammo. State it is an insurance issue. However, if I had the receipt of their ammo that I purchased the day before, and the owner who sold me the ammo, the day before, would not let me use it, I do believe, I would tell him he can keep his new pistol and he can give me all my money back. (And keep his crappy ammo as well though I realize refunds for ammo is extremely rare)

The owner might think he is making out keeping the ammo for free, but his loss over the bad policies and the bad feelings and loss of future business is much worse.

As said, he lost more cash money over the range fee, than he ever would have made selling a box of ammo.

Now related to @308pirate ’s statement about insurance. Not doubting your word, but its their store, its what they say. If what they say won’t work, people will/should vote with their wallet and their feet.

Last edited:
View attachment 7990082

Few of those in NOVA that's why I am fortunate to be 5 miles from WV

A gun store/range owner I was acquainted with years ago said there was essentially no money being made in the gun store. The range was the cash cow.

The indoor tange I use has a policy that any brass that hits the ground is theirs. I police my brass- at least everything on the shooter side of the stall. They don’t say dick about it.

No steel case, no steel core, I can understand. Only range bought ammo in rental guns, I understand. Only range bought ammo in a personal gun, however, is a non-starter.

There is what I call an "upper crust" indoor range out in Olathe KS, don't remember the name. Walking in it is real clear what group they cater to.

Your ammo was ok as long as a magnet did not stick to it, ok get that. The brass is theirs. Nope that was a hard stop for me. Guy came over and told me to quit picking up the brass.....I really did not get it, told him I am cleaning up after myself, and the normal nothing that rolled over the line I went after. He says no we recycle it, ok fine but this brass is mine, I will not take anything that is not mine, you still don't get it (never said I was quick) after it hits the floor it is ours.

The light bulb finally went on and I packed my stuff and left, Waited out in the fancy show room for the guy I was with that was a member to finish. Told him it is real nice but I will never be back.

We both shoot in my "back yard" now.

There is what I call an "upper crust" indoor range out in Olathe KS, don't remember the name. Walking in it is real clear what group they cater to.

Your ammo was ok as long as a magnet did not stick to it, ok get that. The brass is theirs. Nope that was a hard stop for me. Guy came over and told me to quit picking up the brass.....I really did not get it, told him I am cleaning up after myself, and the normal nothing that rolled over the line I went after. He says no we recycle it, ok fine but this brass is mine, I will not take anything that is not mine, you still don't get it (never said I was quick) after it hits the floor it is ours.

The light bulb finally went on and I packed my stuff and left, Waited out in the fancy show room for the guy I was with that was a member to finish. Told him it is real nice but I will never be back.

We both shoot in my "back yard" now.
You kept your brass though, right?

That's like a restaurant trying to tell you that if you lay your cell phone on their table it's now theirs. Nope.

I'm usually a pretty laid back guy, but if you try to steal my brass I'm coming at you like a spider monkey. Doesn't matter how big or well armed you are. There's definitely something wrong me... I'm like Gollum, and my brass is my precious. It's unhealthy.

You kept your brass though, right?

That's like a restaurant trying to tell you that if you lay your cell phone on their table it's now theirs. Nope.

I'm usually a pretty laid back guy, but if you try to steal my brass I'm coming at you like a spider monkey. Doesn't matter how big or well armed you are. There's definitely something wrong me... I'm like Gollum, and my brass is my precious. It's unhealthy.

There where people in there shooting rifles, pretty much if your firearm did not end in MM you could shoot it in there.

I have some old rifles with some real hard to find brass, while I can't get my head around shooting 25 yards with a rifle but there where plenty of folk there with long cases.

I can imagine if that was my only option how I would be if someone wanted to take my 30 Remington brass, or 351 WSL or 7.5 French or........

I think I would have gotten in real trouble. Heck Martini brass is expensive.

Reactions: vinniedelpino
It is not an insurance deal, it is typical gunstore bullshit.

It was common around here until people refused to shoot there. Now, you buy their ammo when you rent their guns and as long as your ammo is safe they are happy.

The scam was always cheap lane rentals and cheap ammo they sold you at horrible prices. Now they just raised the prices on lanes and make money because people would rather shoot their own ammo.