• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Walking Varmint

Hateca

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Aug 12, 2004
    Henderson NV
    Walking varmint. 8lbs as you see it

RAD Guardian AW action
    Stiller .187 lug pinned
    Schneider P5 1-12 twist varmint contour fluted barrel 19” OAL
    .308 Match
    Custom one port muzzle brake
    Custom 20-MOA two piece base
    RAD Med bolt knob
    Badger M5
    Rem gen I trigger
    McMillan A3 Carbon Edge stock.
    Devcon / Pillar bedded both action and bottom metal
    Cerakote painted stock and metal

AARONBRANCH1.jpg

AARONBRANCH3.jpg

AARONBRANCH4.jpg

AARONBRANCH2.jpg

Re: Walking Varmint

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice is an understatement! </div></div>

+100!!!!!

That is nice. I am getting ready to build a walking varmint .223 with a 20" Rock/ABS #7 barrel that comes in at 3.2#. I have been deciding on the stock either McM edge or carbon Manners. Yours looks great in that stock and I have 2A3's now so I like them. I could go MCS-T Manners for a few oz less and a more hunting profile....your pictures are very helpful. I am figuring about 7.5# with some lightweight Talley rings. I am pretty well set on what I want to do except for bottom metal....magazine or BDL style.

I just brought that bad boy home tonight!

With a 2.5-10X32 NXS, it should be a little over 9 lbs.

First stop for bullets will be lapua 155's.

Awesome, I've been wanting to build a rifle similar to that this winter. You just gave me the extra motivation with these pics.
    nice stick.

Impressive, just looking one would think it would be heavier...the stock must be really light.

The carbon McM and Manners stocks without adjustable cheek pieces are all from 2.1-2.6# Makes for a nice light stock.

Here is my version of a "walking varmint" rifle built a couple years ago by Gordy Gritters. Remington 700 SA .223 with 22" #3 Lilja in a MCM Hunters Edge stock. Weighs in at just under 8 lbs with the Talley steel rings. Easy .5 MOA gun but the only downfall is 1-12" twist.
    rem9.jpg

I got to put a few rounds through it this weekend. Factory ammo only. Shot well but more to follow.

Randy was wondering how the brake would work. For those that are wondering, the brake is a badger thruster, that has been cut front and back so it adds only .75" to the end of the barrel. The rear of the brake needed to be cut due to the location of the flutes. The rifle is a pussycat to shoot. The brake tweaking was one a of a few wierd requests I had of Randy. He did a fantastic job and I couldn't be happier.

The weight quoted is also a bathroom scale weight, I will have an accurate weight in a few days.

The proportions of the rifle look right, so it doesn't look like it would be all that light. Picking the rifle up, even with the S&B 3-12 on it, is strange! It is very light!

It wasn't built for varmint shooting, but it will be carried around for UKD shooting quite a bit.

That's much better than I would have thought. The heavier optics likely help out in that department and it sounds like a handy package.

Nice rifle you have there Supersubes. Glad to see your parts and ideas finally have come to fruition. Hopefully I can see you put some rounds downrange with it when I come home soon.

When I first saw the post I thought the rifle looked great. Upon a closer look I found one problem. It is made by R&D but does not have the RAD Tac latch. Just joking. Great looking rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: km71107</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Beautiful rifle. Will the scope be painted to match it? </div></div>

Yes, the rings and scope will get painted.

damn~~~ nice group and super sexy new rig!! congrats on another fine rifle you got there.

great looking group and wow that is a great looking rifle as well