• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Walmart employees stop gunman, and get fired.

crazy bay

Private
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2005
Utah
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=14319284

LAYTON -- The shoplifter smashed Gabriel Stewart up against a wall. It didn't take him long to realize that pressure against his lower back was from a loaded gun held by a desperate man who didn't want to go to jail.

The gunman had a firm grip on Stewart's shoulder, telling him and three of his Walmart co-workers, "Don't make me do this."
The Walmart store in Layton

"Absolutely, time stopped," Stewart told KSL News. "I didn't know what to do."

Instantly, Shawn Ray and Justin Richins kicked into gear, spinning the gunman around. Lori Poulsen ripped the gun away and secured it. They all held onto the man until police arrived minutes later.

The four Layton Walmart employees felt it was mission accomplished. Police officers told them they had done everything right.

But a week later, all four were fired from their jobs. Walmart said their actions had violated company policy and put their fellow workers and shoppers at risk.
Coming up on KSL Newsradio
The Doug Wright Show
Doug follows up on this issue today beginning at 9:05 a.m. on KSL Newsradio 102.7 FM/1160 AM.

It was the afternoon of Jan. 13 when employees at the store saw Trent Allen Longton unwrap a Netbook computer in the electronics section and stuff it under his clothes.

Asset protection coordinator Poulsen met him at the door and ushered him back to the loss prevention room to confront him. Not long after, Ray and Richins -- both asset protection associates -- filtered in, followed by Stewart, an assistant manager, to witness.

Moments after he pulled out the small laptop, the workers say Longton also pulled out a handgun and charged toward the closed office door. Ray, Richins and Stewart were in the way. He grabbed Stewart as his way to get out.
If... the suspect has a weapon or brandishes or threatens use of a weapon; all associates must disengage from the situation, withdraw to a safe position, and contact law enforcement. -Walmart policy

"He looked right at me and said, 'The gun is cocked. C'mon guys, just let me go. I don't want to do this,'" Shawn Ray recalled.

The four believe their quick actions to disarm and secure the man helped prevent what could have been a tragic event. They held the man until a police officer arrived, who wrote in his report that the gunman was taken to the ground in his and citizens' "best interest and safety."

"I was thinking, 'Whose house am I going to tonight to tell their family their loved one was shot?'" Poulsen said. "You have to make a decision: Do I fight for my life or do I stand here and watch?"

Workers still can't believe what happened the next week.

"She said, 'You're fired,'" Richins recalled, of the person brought in to let him go. "You're being terminated for a violation of AP09." AP09 is Walmart's policy on dealing with shoplifters. A copy obtained by KSL shows employees are allowed to use "reasonable force" to limit movements of struggling suspects. If a weapon comes out, however, associates must "disengage" and "withdraw," the policy states.

The workers say they don't know where they would have withdrawn to, with the door behind them closed in a small room and the man charging at them. They contend they had no other real option.
If (motioning) is unsuccessful, the Authorized Associate may utilize respectful, light physical contact in directing the Suspect toward the AP office or other location. -Walmart policy

The former employees also are expressing concern about allowing Longton, armed with a loaded gun, out into the crowded store and beyond.

Longton, according to the police report, was a convicted felon who had multiple warrants out for his arrest. He was a restricted person -- meaning he wasn't supposed to be carrying a handgun. The handgun was loaded, according to the report, and contained a bullet in the chamber.

Layton police would not comment on the appropriateness of the Walmart workers' actions, but did acknowledge Longton -- with the information that had come through dispatch -- likely would have faced a stiff police response outside the store.

"Likely they (the officers) are going to produce their handguns and try and take the person into custody, because you've got to be ready for it," Layton Police Lt. Garrett Atkin said.

Longton pleaded guilty Monday to two charges: robbery, a second-degree felony; and the purchase, transfer, possession or use of a dangerous weapon by a restricted person, a class A misdemeanor. In exchange for his plea, three other charges were dismissed, including threatening or using a dangerous weapon in a fight or quarrel.

Longton is scheduled to be sentenced on March 28.

The four workers were full-time employees. Stewart had been with the company for more than 12 years. Poulsen, who was employed for more than seven years, had made Walmart a career. Ray said his dismissal kept him from purchasing a home.

"I honestly felt worse than when I had the gun to my back," Stewart said. "I honestly felt betrayed."

The former employees are considering their legal options.

Walmart defended the firings in a statement.

"We appreciate the intentions demonstrated by our associates in this situation, but the actions taken put their safety -- and potentially the safety of our customers and other associates -- in jeopardy," Walmart spokesman Dan Fogleman said. "In their roles within the store, they were aware of our expectations regarding safety and, unfortunately, their actions have led to them no longer working for the company."

Stories of similar firings exist, including one in Kansas last May. A Walmart worker in Wichita was fired when she followed a man outside the store and demanded proof that he had purchased a computer.
Facebook User Comment
"That is absolutely ridiculous! I hope those workers decide to try and sue. They should be considered heroes for what they did and Walmart kicks them to the curb.' -- Brigitte Reed
Comment on Facebook

The man, according to news reports, kicked and hit the woman before letting go of the computer and running away. She was not an asset protection associate or a manager, and a spokesperson at that time contended she violated company policy and put herself and others in danger.

Corporate lawyers say company policies like the one at Walmart are common in the retail world. They're designed to protect employees and make sure they don't put merchandise ahead of their own safety.

Some security experts, however, take issue with the policy.

"I'm surprised they would be fired they're defending their lives," said David Lundberg, who was a police officer for 21 years, has additional security experience and now runs Utahdetective.com.

Lundberg believes concern over liability drives these policies.

"People slip and fall, get head injuries, that kind of stuff," Lundberg said. "So that's what stores are worried about is the liability -- getting sued."

Re: Walmart employees stop gunman, and get fired.

Hopefully this guy rips Wal-Mart a new financial asshole in court. What bullshit.

Bet that bitch that fired him would have had a different opinion had the gun been at her back.

Most people recognize Walmart is one of the worst companies to work for in America. They treat their employees like shit. Many companies have similar policies about willful endangerment, but usually they have the common sense not to invoke the policies when their employees act like heroes.

Maybe the employees should see this as a blessing: at least they don't work for Walmart anymore...

And the emasculation of the citizenry continues... now it's part of corporate policy... these fucktards hold themselves up as bastions of capitalism and American enterprise.

How do you say, "go fuck yourself" in Chinese?

I will avoid shopping there ever again at all costs these guys should have at a minimum gotten some minor commendations. Screw Walmart.

I can look at it from the corporate perspective and understand why, but I still don't approve.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: netranger6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am officially, never shopping there again. </div></div>

I'm not going to stop people watching there though. Some of the finest entertainment available. I'm thinking about setting up webcams discreetly around the local Walmart in the crappier area in town here and remotely viewing.

The old saying applies:
"If you don't stand up for something, you will end up falling for anything." (I think I am quoting it right)
....SmokeRolls

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COURAGEWOLF</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: netranger6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am officially, never shopping there again. </div></div>

I'm not going to stop people watching there though. Some of the finest entertainment available. I'm thinking about setting up webcams discreetly around the local Walmart in the crappier area in town here and remotely viewing. </div></div>

Agreed... Check out People of Walmart if you haven't already for a laugh.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bubbajoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COURAGEWOLF</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: netranger6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am officially, never shopping there again. </div></div>

I'm not going to stop people watching there though. Some of the finest entertainment available. I'm thinking about setting up webcams discreetly around the local Walmart in the crappier area in town here and remotely viewing. </div></div>

Agreed... Check out People of Walmart if you haven't already for a laugh.

</div></div>

haha sooooo good
laugh.gif
my wife bookmarks this site and views it daily.

Huh. So Wal-Mart policy dictates that you flee from a weapon, possibly being shot as you go? Nice.

I used to have a hard time with the people who complained about Wal-Mart but this and other incidents of varying nature that I've read about have placed me firmly in the anti-Wal-mart camp.

It's unlikely that they can do anything about the terminations. They're likely not union and are probably "employed at will". The bad part about it is that someone in Wal-Mart management decided to enforce this policy instead of treating them like heroes.

Typical liberal, politically correct corporate BULLSHIT!!

I'm not shopping at walmart anymore, oh wait, I don't shop there already, from now on I'll give them the finger too when I drive by

Those employees did what they had to do, with no time to think or worry about Walmart's "Policies".. Who gives a rip about a policy when your life is at stake, such B.S..

Perhaps if the Chief Lady doing all the firing had gotten a good pistol whipping up-side her head she wouldn't be running her mouth so reckless.

These workers who took action should be compensated to the fullest degree for standing up for themselves and everyone in the store that day.

Pathetic, Corporate Bull....
bullshitbutton.jpg

bullshitbutton2.jpg

bullshitbutton2-1.jpg

You would have thought that with Walmart taking out life insurance on their employees behind their back, they could have made some money from a tragedy. Damned if you do damned if you dont. Walfart strikes again.

ballistic1 said:
Perhaps if the Chief Lady doing all the firing had gotten a good pistol whipping up-side her head she wouldn't be running her mouth so reckless.

These workers who took action should be compensated to the fullest degree for standing up for themselves and everyone in the store that day.

quote]

<span style="font-size: 20pt">PLUS ONE </span> <span style="font-size: 8pt"> </span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZLBubba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most people recognize Walmart is one of the worst companies to work for in America. They treat their employees like shit. Many companies have similar policies about willful endangerment, but usually they have the common sense not to invoke the policies when their employees act like heroes.</div></div>
+1. F Walmart. I have said it for years- I will never go into another Wal-mart, EVER!

WTF Over ... hate stupid people. Walmart sucks. Can't fix stupid.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COURAGEWOLF</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: netranger6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am officially, never shopping there again. </div></div>

Lol. I used to do the same thing, graveyard shift when Walmart let's all of it's "ADA" compliant hires work...and some real freaks to boot. Nothing like being drunk, getting a BOB from Whattaburger, then going to Wally.

That store should count their blessings that everyone went home in cars instead of bags. They should be heralded, not fired. The perp should thank them too, because the cops might have just shot his stupid ass (which is honestly more than he deserves, POS).

Shit like this is why I carry almost all the time now. Stupidity is spreading like a disease, i'm sure it's only a matter of time until it crosses my path.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> How do you say, "go fuck yourself" in Chinese? </div></div>

ni ziji qu ta ma de

Flyingbullseye

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If a weapon comes out, however, associates must "disengage" and "withdraw," the policy states.</div></div>

So a person gives up his right to self-defense, and thus his right to life, by working at Wal Mart?

But a person does not give up his right to freedom of religion as can be seen from the towel people who work there?

I'm loss prevention at Sears, unfortunately our policies are pretty much the same, except luckily for me the loss prevention manager is a former Marine, and says we have the right to defend ourselves if we find that we're in that sort of situation, and he won't let us get fired for it.

So far I've only had to deal with a few knives though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 500grains</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If a weapon comes out, however, associates must "disengage" and "withdraw," the policy states.</div></div>

So a person gives up his right to self-defense, and thus his right to life, by working at Wal Mart?

But a person does not give up his right to freedom of religion as can be seen <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">from the towel people</span></span> who work there? </div></div>

lol! Sometimes ignorance can be so funny...! Kinda like the weirdos in the pics on that link.

There should be plenty of attorney's willing to take this case. They were in a loss prevention office as to where they had no other option. They had no place to disengage to. Company policy or not they had no option in the "Loss prevention office" which, by the way, is not much bigger than the guy in the red shirt. This just goes to show you how our countries largest companies look at self defense and possibly our gun ownership. I guess I can see where they stand on our 2nd ammendment rights!

I know our LP office is maybe at most a 4x8 room, to get out you have to go through a door down a 15 foot hallway (no cover at all) through another door, then down the stairs. If somebody pulled a gun on us up there, it would be easy to kill every one of us if we had to disengage especially since we are no longer allowed to use restraints.

That Walmart is right up the street from me, there is alot of scumbags in there but I never would of expected this kinda thing to happen. And my wife thinks I'm crazy for carrying a gun even to the grocery store.
crazy.gif

I worked for Office Depot for seven years part time. Their policy was if you saw someone shop lifting anything or was held up by someone using a knife or gun, give them what ever they want. No sales associate was to interfere in any way. The only instruction was to get a good look so as to provide a accurate description and maybe a plate number. We were located at the end of an L shaped mall and were the last store to close at night. Not a great feeling.

Maxwell

Back in december my cousin was mugged at wal mart at 11am by 2 women in a green pick up truck. the plate was bad. Now I figure 2 women in a green truck is too hard to find in a town of 12 thousand or so.

This was at the Wal-Fart just down the road from where I work. You know I can understand the company policy if the gun is pulled on them in the store (main floor area) at the entrance/exit or in the parking lot.

Hell I don't know if I would have been a hero at the Tuson shooting.

But in a Loss Prevention room in the back, as soon as the gun came out it was a NATURAL fight or flight reflex. They had no where to go. It was fight or possibly die.

Who is to say that if they gave in he would not have executed them?? After all they are witness. And who is to say that on his way out the store he didn't pull a tuson and just start shooting customers? It is unknown how many lives where saved that day.

VERY VERY short sighted by Wal-Fart

"He was a restricted person -- meaning he wasn't supposed to be carrying a handgun. The handgun was loaded, according to the report, and contained a bullet in the chamber."

Whoa whoa whoa, if he wasn't supposed to be carrying a weapon then how on earth did he manage to leave the house with one? Surely he must not have know he wasn't supposed to do that.

My mother in-law has worked at that Wal-Fart since it opened... there have been a few more incidents that havent been aired like this one at that same wal-fart... kinda scary.

It has been proven (at least around here) that when a Wal-fart comes to town, crime goes up. I know of at least 4 (maybe 5) cities around here that most if not all the tax revenue recieved from wal-fart is spent on upgrading the police departments. Not the cash cow cities think.

Wal-Fart the Next K-mart

So if you pull a weapon everyone is supposed to disengage. Awesome, I'm going to go rob a Wal-Mart, how easy is that...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bondoscustomz1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn HB, If you weren't so far away I wuold go with you!
wink.gif
</div></div>

There are probably a good 400 walmarts along the drive so...
smile.gif

Shop there----hell no

But let the Urban Safari continue!

Posted on another thread as well:

Blasty showed me this article.. this is his girlfriend and I work at a Walmart. The managers don't want us to do anything if we catch a shoplifter. We're supposed to tell a manager, and they are supposed to follow the shoplifter around.. the manager doesn't do anything unless they actually catch the person stealing. Instead we are supposed to ask "Can I help you find anything?", like that will deter them from stealing.

They came up with a new dress code (supposed to wear matching ugly blue shirts that says Walmart on it + jeans on overnights) a few months ago. During a store meeting with the store manager my overnight manager asked us "Do you guys know why we are changing the dress code?" No one said anything. So the store manager says "It's to prevent people from shoplifting or shooting up the place. If someone comes in with the intention of shooting up the store, the matching blue shirts will deter them from shooting the place up. They also won't shoplift if they see the matching shirts." What. The. Fuck. Really?! That's the most stupid thing I have ever heard, and I work at Walmart dammit! Land of the idiots. I think that I'll rely on my Glock more than the fucking matching blue shirts that no one wears.

At the store I used to work at before the one I'm currently at, the Store manager and my (then) overnight manager decided that wearing a Hoodie was against the dress code. A co-worker questioned her why, and she said "It's because they are a safety hazard. You could get the hood caught on something and die from choking yourself to death." Whoever is stupid enough to choke from that deserves to die. Thankfully that stupid "rule" was changed the next week. None of the dumbasses who work there has died so far!

There's been so much other bullshit like that the managers have said that I can't even remember it all. This company truly has the most fucked up policies of any corporation ever. You will never find a more ass backwards company. The day I get out of there, I will never set foot inside a Walmart ever again. There are some days where I literally get sick before work. Hopefully I get out of there sooner rather than later. My advice: Boycott this shithole and spend the extra money and go elsewhere. It's worth it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr blasty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Posted on another thread as well:

Blasty showed me this article.. this is his girlfriend and I work at a Walmart. The managers don't want us to do anything if we catch a shoplifter. We're supposed to tell a manager, and they are supposed to follow the shoplifter around.. the manager doesn't do anything unless they actually catch the person stealing. Instead we are supposed to ask "Can I help you find anything?", like that will deter them from stealing.

They came up with a new dress code (supposed to wear matching ugly blue shirts that says Walmart on it + jeans on overnights) a few months ago. During a store meeting with the store manager my overnight manager asked us "Do you guys know why we are changing the dress code?" No one said anything. So the store manager says "It's to prevent people from shoplifting or shooting up the place. If someone comes in with the intention of shooting up the store, the matching blue shirts will deter them from shooting the place up. They also won't shoplift if they see the matching shirts." What. The. Fuck. Really?! That's the most stupid thing I have ever heard, and I work at Walmart dammit! Land of the idiots. I think that I'll rely on my Glock more than the fucking matching blue shirts that no one wears.

At the store I used to work at before the one I'm currently at, the Store manager and my (then) overnight manager decided that wearing a Hoodie was against the dress code. A co-worker questioned her why, and she said "It's because they are a safety hazard. You could get the hood caught on something and die from choking yourself to death." Whoever is stupid enough to choke from that deserves to die. Thankfully that stupid "rule" was changed the next week. None of the dumbasses who work there has died so far!

There's been so much other bullshit like that the managers have said that I can't even remember it all. This company truly has the most fucked up policies of any corporation ever. You will never find a more ass backwards company. The day I get out of there, I will never set foot inside a Walmart ever again. There are some days where I literally get sick before work. Hopefully I get out of there sooner rather than later. My advice: Boycott this shithole and spend the extra money and go elsewhere. It's worth it! </div></div>

I spit coffee all over my fucking laptop (unfortuantly that came from walmart)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ubet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I spit coffee all over my fucking laptop (unfortuantly that came from walmart)</div></div>

The coffee or the laptop? lol...