• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Walmart mainlining Cans for the masses!!

Supposedly according to the guy at my local gun store, you could just order those off Ali Express and while waiting for them to come in from China, send a Form 1 in to the ATF with payment to build your own suppressor, then once you get the approval and stamp, engrave the cylinder and get to running a drill press.

To me it sounds like to much work when you can just buy a top notch .22 suppressor for $400 ish (+tax), or go even cheaper for the mid range ones.

Reactions: padom
here is what i dont understand...i’ve heard guys refer to these before. And what i ask myself is, do you really think calling it something else is going to keep you from going to prison? Same same with the oil filter adapters.

"I did not have a sexual relationship with that woman."

"It depends on what the word 'is' means."

Yea, sometimes calling it something else works to keep you out of prison.

I have an Idea...we just tell PETA and the Greenies it keeps the loud noise from hurting the animals and environment. :)

Or tell the SJW’s it identifies as an oil filter.

All you need is a Briggs & Straton muffler off/for about a 7+HP roto-tiller motor and a way to thread it on the end off a barrel, and..... wa-la! Hell, dad and I used to mount them to .22 cal. rifles(dad was a machinist, so I'll have to leave it at that:oops:). Mac

Reactions: FleetDaddy
Well i agree it isnt any of the governments business....however, i am not willing to go to prison over it.

I have an Idea...we just tell PETA and the Greenies it keeps the loud noise from hurting the animals and environment. :)

If you are a member of a range, and see the time and expense most ranges go to in order to try to reduce the amount of “noise polution”, you’d think that argument would hold water with folks.

Hollywood is the ones fucking us here. They’ve made suppressors look like assassin’s tools. We need to change the way they are viewed, that’s the key to getting wide spread acceptance.

Reactions: FleetDaddy
"I did not have a sexual relationship with that woman."

"It depends on what the word 'is' means."

Yea, sometimes calling it something else works to keep you out of prison.

I remember that quite well. However, you and i are not slick willy. You know how that shit would go in court for us if we tried that bullspit.

Reactions: supercorndogs
here is what i dont understand...i’ve heard guys refer to these before. And what i ask myself is, do you really think calling it something else is going to keep you from going to prison? Same same with the oil filter adapters.

Solvent traps are perfectly legal, as long at the inserts and endcaps are not drilled through. There is an ATF letter out there about this. Here is an excerpt of that letter:

The stated intent of a solvent trap is to catch and trap gun cleaning solvent during bore cleaning operations commonly performed on firearms. Solvent traps do attach to the muzzle of a firearm but do not have any design features intended to allow a bullet to pass through them.
Since as originally manufactured they are not intended to silence, muffle or diminish the report of a portable firearm they are not silencers as defined in 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(24) and thus also are not firearms as defined in 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(3) or 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(7).
However, if the solvent trapped was redesigned or utilized to assemble a device for silencing, muffling or diminishing the report of a portable firearm or if intent was demonstrated to use the device for silencing, muffling or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, the solvent trap would be classified as a “firearm silencer” as defined in 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(24) and as a “firearm” as defined in 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(3)(C) and 26 U.S.C. § 5845(a)(7).

If the libs were ever to permanently ban suppressors, it might be wise to have one or two of these.

Solvent traps are perfectly legal, as long at the inserts and endcaps are not drilled through. There is an ATF letter out there about this. Here is an excerpt of that letter:

The stated intent of a solvent trap is to catch and trap gun cleaning solvent during bore cleaning operations commonly performed on firearms. Solvent traps do attach to the muzzle of a firearm but do not have any design features intended to allow a bullet to pass through them.
Since as originally manufactured they are not intended to silence, muffle or diminish the report of a portable firearm they are not silencers as defined in 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(24) and thus also are not firearms as defined in 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(3) or 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(7).
However, if the solvent trapped was redesigned or utilized to assemble a device for silencing, muffling or diminishing the report of a portable firearm or if intent was demonstrated to use the device for silencing, muffling or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, the solvent trap would be classified as a “firearm silencer” as defined in 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(24) and as a “firearm” as defined in 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(3)(C) and 26 U.S.C. § 5845(a)(7).

If the libs were ever to permanently ban suppressors, it might be wise to have one or two of these.

ATF has a lot of businesses to shut down if they are now illegal

image.jpg

"Despite that apparent approval, the ATF has shut down SD Tactical’s solvent trap business as of January 25th citing “constructive intent,” a regulatory concept used by the ATF which says possession of the materials to produce a regulated item is the same as possession of the actual item. Here’s SD Tactical’s statement:"

Every shop in America has tubing, freeze plugs, taps. Every shop in America has the materials to "produce a suppressor."

Well i agree it isnt any of the governments business....however, i am not willing to go to prison over it.

If you are a member of a range, and see the time and expense most ranges go to in order to try to reduce the amount of “noise polution”, you’d think that argument would hold water with folks.

Hollywood is the ones fucking us here. They’ve made suppressors look like assassin’s tools. We need to change the way they are viewed, that’s the key to getting wide spread acceptance.
Fact.

I prefer not to ride the line of having the government come down on your head hard while all the rest of the "good folks" sit around and cluck their heads and say "isn't that a shame".

If the government types find an excuse to raid your house or your wife/kids/neighbours call the police on you because they are upset at loosing a discussion, you might find yourself stuck in court for years till you eventually win when you get to an appeal court that actually has a clue about the law and is not a bunch of idiot jurors.... because I bet you have several of those in the house, some heel clicking upwardly mobile assistant prosecutor is going to be all going on about how you were stockpiling items with the intent to mass produce them and turn them loose to criminals on the street and..... all that BS that stupid juries eat up like candy.

I prefer not to ride the line of having the government come down on your head hard while all the rest of the "good folks" sit around and cluck their heads and say "isn't that a shame".

If the government types find an excuse to raid your house or your wife/kids/neighbours call the police on you because they are upset at loosing a discussion, you might find yourself stuck in court for years till you eventually win when you get to an appeal court that actually has a clue about the law and is not a bunch of idiot jurors.... because I bet you have several of those in the house, some heel clicking upwardly mobile assistant prosecutor is going to be all going on about how you were stockpiling items with the intent to mass produce them and turn them loose to criminals on the street and..... all that BS that stupid juries eat up like candy.

Implied intent.

"Despite that apparent approval, the ATF has shut down SD Tactical’s solvent trap business as of January 25th citing “constructive intent,” a regulatory concept used by the ATF which says possession of the materials to produce a regulated item is the same as possession of the actual item. Here’s SD Tactical’s statement:"

Every shop in America has tubing, freeze plugs, taps. Every shop in America has the materials to "produce a suppressor."
Also better not have a water bottle, duct tape, and cotton at the same time or you got the items in possession to "produce a suppressor."

I admit to not being up to speed on the "solvent trap". Is Walmart selling a thinly disguised suppressor kit requiring nothing but a drill press? Seems kind of obvious. I'm old, grew up with ads like this in the back of Shotgun News. Just a little surprised at mainstream retail.

And then one day when the ATF sends a demand letter to Walmart asking for order details on everyone that purchased certain stock numbers......
Which of course they will turn over in a heartbeat... maybe even before being asked........

Same reason I told folks the first time the stupid bump stocks came out that I'm never buying one, but if you are, make sure it's cash and carry at a store / show with no record of who you are....

My solvent trap is used to clean bullets, I fill it with copper cleaner so when the bullet gets fouled from traveling down the bore as it exits the muzzle and through the solvent trap the bullet has better flight characteristics. Cleanliness is next to Godliness so it my religious right to use it.

To go along with your solvent trap,.... A prepper just prepping I guess,...

Reactions: deersniper
To go along with your solvent trap,.... A prepper just prepping I guess,...

Seems almost like an ATF trap....

Reactions: Eddystone
So I'm curious. Being an owner of multiple cans I have no need to go the form 1 route. Zac and company will do a better job than I will. That being said I'm also not up on solvent traps until this thread. So I did some searching and I've noticed in the trap kits you have more than 3 parts. I'm pretty practical so only having learned the rudimentary points of a trap I'd think you'd only need the threaded breach cap, solid end cap and the tube. However in the kits sold online there exists 7-9 suppressor type baffles (usually 60' cones with spacer) without the bore drilled. What TF are those baffles supposed to be used for in a solvent trap kit if you're not going to manufacture a can?

Supposedly according to the guy at my local gun store, you could just order those off Ali Express and while waiting for them to come in from China, send a Form 1 in to the ATF with payment to build your own suppressor, then once you get the approval and stamp, engrave the cylinder and get to running a drill press.

To me it sounds like to much work when you can just buy a top notch .22 suppressor for $400 ish (+tax), or go even cheaper for the mid range ones.

efiling my form 1 to build my 1st can this week.

This first one will be a 22lr can. If it goes well I'll make a bunch more. The big difference is a) it cost me $34 in parts and b) efiled form 1's are coming back approved in 14 days....just received my approval today for a form 1 submitted exactly 14 days ago. Much rather do this then wait 11-12 months. I've got tons of cans and cans in jail right now but this seems like a win win if all goes well. A lathe and some time and you can make these things in no time with 14 day ATF efile approvals.

Last edited:
I would have said shit like this gives us a bad image but actually our government gives us all a bad image and I hope they sell so goddamn many that there isn't a fucking handgun left that doesn't have a can to go with it.

I'm glad I stocked up on cans, and I won't be handing 'em in regardless of what some fat bitch in a bedazzled cowboy hat wants. I barely recognize that we even have a functional government left.

So a person with a drill press and Walmart parts can have a legal suppressor for $234 + his labor and a fourteen day wait? Has anyone finished one yet? Seems like it should be pretty popular.

So a person with a drill press and Walmart parts can have a legal suppressor for $234 + his labor and a fourteen day wait? Has anyone finished one yet? Seems like it should be pretty popular.

Pretty much. Lots of other sources other than Walmart.

Sure. I use the term because it's surprising to me that a mainstream retailer such as Walmart is selling a obvious DIY suppressor kit. Still seems like something relegated to the back pages of the old Shotgun News.

So I'm curious. Being an owner of multiple cans I have no need to go the form 1 route. Zac and company will do a better job than I will. That being said I'm also not up on solvent traps until this thread. So I did some searching and I've noticed in the trap kits you have more than 3 parts. I'm pretty practical so only having learned the rudimentary points of a trap I'd think you'd only need the threaded breach cap, solid end cap and the tube. However in the kits sold online there exists 7-9 suppressor type baffles (usually 60' cones with spacer) without the bore drilled. What TF are those baffles supposed to be used for in a solvent trap kit if you're not going to manufacture a can?

Spacers?

My old solvent trap was a Gatorade bottle with a paper towel and a modified cap.
It really did keep the brush splatter off of my bench.

When it got full of dirty patches, I'd use another bottle.

Seriously, I actually used it for that purpose.

Yep. Efiled 6/17/19, prints delivered to ATF 6/24/19, form 1 email approval received yesterday, 7/7/19. 13 days from prints being received at ATF to approval.
The reason 1's are coming back so fast vs 4's in they are trying to get the registry corrected as for years it was just crayons. Mostly by their own hand but with the help of assholes cutting the SN off an applying it to something totally different. Like a S/N from a Mac 10 being welded on a M2 kit a fuck stick built. The NFA branch was an still is to a point truly FUBAR'ed

Yeah, that ring portion below the cone so the cones have some distance between them. Many manufacturers just make both at once rather than weld the two together.

The fact they exist in a solvent trap kit is almost a dead give away it's a rebranded suppressor kit.

Yeah, that ring portion below the cone so the cones have some distance between them. Many manufacturers just make both at once rather than weld the two together.

The fact they exist in a solvent trap kit is almost a dead give away it's a rebranded suppressor kit.

They should sell them as 80% kits. :)

Reactions: Flyingbullseye
I dont think there is any hiding what they intended market is. They are legal as they sit. You MUST have your approved form 1 in hand then you can legally modify it into a functional suppressor. Doing that without an approved Form 1 in hand is a felony.

I have reached out to 2 companies that have this figured out to see if they want to donate a titanium kit so I can do a full build/review here on Snipers Hide with an approved Form 1 in hand.

If I didnt make this clear before, Ill make it clear again:

YOU MUST HAVE AN APPROVED FORM 1 IN HAND BEFORE YOU CAN BUILD A SUPPRESSOR

Padom, that's kind of my point. Some companies are selling the kit, for example the first link in this thread as a solvent kit with multiple non-bored cone baffles. I doubt the ATF would care if it was just the tube, a threaded beach cap and a non bored end cap but what's being advertised with the extra parts is very borderline. Buying those kits online, since they are not sold in stores is foolish without a form 1. They are easy to trace.

Padom, that's kind of my point. Some companies are selling the kit, for example the first link in this thread as a solvent kit with multiple non-bored cone baffles. I doubt the ATF would care if it was just the tube, a threaded beach cap and a non bored end cap but what's being advertised with the extra parts is very borderline. Buying those kits online, since they are not sold in stores is foolish without a form 1. They are easy to trace.

I have some updates for you guys and a full review coming thanks to the guys at www.quietbore.com. had a long conversation with them today. Quiet bore is a branch of their parent company which is a full firearms and silencer manufacture. They actually educate with the ATF regularly and the kit is perfectly legal.

If you cant shoot through it, it's not a can. It's a solvent trap or thread protector. To drill out the cups, therefore turning them into baffles and the end cap you MUST have a approved form 1 in hand.

Stay tuned, I'll be doing a full review/build of their titanium 22lr solvent trap kit. Just efiled my form 1 for it today and Quiet Bore is donating the titanium kit.

I have some updates for you guys and a full review coming thanks to the guys at www.quietbore.com. had a long conversation with them today. Quiet bore is a branch of their parent company which is a full firearms and silencer manufacture. They actually educate with the ATF regularly and the kit is perfectly legal.

If you cant shoot through it, it's not a can. It's a solvent trap or thread protector. To drill out the cups, therefore turning them into baffles and the end cap you MUST have a approved form 1 in hand.

Stay tuned, I'll be doing a full review/build of their titanium 22lr solvent trap kit. Just efiled my form 1 for it today and Quiet Bore is donating the titanium kit.

I'm curious how it will compare to a professional made can like a thunderbeast. I'll say its close but will still come up short but you never know.

Padon, I'll ask this question for anyone that might be thinking it, hoping it or somewhat similar question came up in your conversion with quiet bore.

I'll use myself as an example. Just for the record, I do not have a solvent kit of any kind.

If I purchase a solvent kit that contains cups but do not have a form 1, never open the cups but throw them out already having in my possession a real can how does the ATF know I never did anything with them? If I threw the cups out (is that legal?) how do I prove that and not get arrested with the extremely vague "intent to manufacture" BS?

In reality all I need is the threaded end, tube and untapped endcap to conveniently clean my rifle/pistol. Once done take it off, dump contents into the garbage, rinse and let dry. Now that I think about it, that's not a bad idea.

I'm curious how it will compare to a professional made can like a thunderbeast. I'll say its close but will still come up short but you never know.

They sent me a video of their retail can (Creative Arms) that uses the same parts as their 22lr solvent trap. Decible wise they said it was on part with 22lr cans on the market. They informed me that the local Des Moines, IOWA PD are now running their cans and they are currently working with the RCMP switching their current cans out for their cans.

Padon, I'll ask this question for anyone that might be thinking it, hoping it or somewhat similar question came up in your conversion with quiet bore.

I'll use myself as an example. Just for the record, I do not have a solvent kit of any kind.

If I purchase a solvent kit that contains cups but do not have a form 1, never open the cups but throw them out already having in my possession a real can how does the ATF know I never did anything with them? If I threw the cups out (is that legal?) how do I prove that and not get arrested with the extremely vague "intent to manufacture" BS?

I asked this very question, I was told they have posed these very questions to the ATF themselves, who they work very closely with. They are told that they are solvent traps or muzzle thread protectors. The moment you modify, make, drill, bore, etc these to be fired through you MUST have a Form 1 approved in your possession before modifying them or you are committing a FELONY and breaking federal law.

In reality all I need is the threaded end, tube and untapped endcap to conveniently clean my rifle/pistol. Once done take it off, dump contents into the garbage, rinse and let dry. Now that I think about it, that's not a bad idea.

Last edited: