• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Walnut Tumbling Media

MAHLMAN

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Being horrified over the price of walnut tumbling media I started looking around. Much to my surprise the answer was my local Harbor Freight where they sell 25 pounds for $25. So I bought a box yesterday and tumbled some fairly ugly 55gr 223's. The media looks exactly like what Lyman charged $$$$ for and in use while it did not have their secret amazing polish added the Harbor Freight media worked just as well. Harbor freight sells it as blasting material right there next to sand and glass beads.

Add some flitz polishing compound and it’s basically the same stuff. The only difference I’ve found is the HF stuff sticks in primer pickets more

Reactions: Wizard1183
Being horrified over the price of walnut tumbling media I started looking around. Much to my surprise the answer was my local Harbor Freight where they sell 25 pounds for $25. So I bought a box yesterday and tumbled some fairly ugly 55gr 223's. The media looks exactly like what Lyman charged $$$$ for and in use while it did not have their secret amazing polish added the Harbor Freight media worked just as well. Harbor freight sells it as blasting material right there next to sand and glass beads.
I have never tumbled bullets. I have only ever polished the cases.

....FWIW, after years of using traditional vibratory tumbling w/walnut, I switched to wet tumbling w/SS pins and obtained MUCH better results in a much shorter amount of time. Brass comes out very clean (and shiny) inside & out, to include the primer pockets. Part of the reason for the switch was primarily due to availability/resupply of walnut media. I've been using the same SS pins for years, truly a "buy once, cry once" for me....

OP, did ya use the fine or course walnut media? I tumble 5 gal buckets of 9mm in a cement mixer, aprox 2 hours, fine walnut media and a touch of liquid car polish.

Reactions: lash