• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Walther LW50 prefit Barrels for Bug Holes or go Shilen Select-Match, Brux, Bartlein, etc?

RadarsRUs

Private
Minuteman
Sep 22, 2012
East Coast FL
I am a Group-Hound, I admit it... I can see spending up to $450 for a new pipe in .308 Win. / 26" - 28" but that is MAX. I think this keeps me in the Hi-End Pre-Fits for a Savage 12 action to replace my .223 BTCSS Varmint barrel.

Knowing that I am a reloader and also a "CTC-Whore", what would be the choice of some of the hot-dogs here? I somehow just can't get myself cranked-up for a McGowan (at this time) as I have only heard of them recently as a prolific Savage Pre-Fit supplier. I'm sure they're good, but I'm really "shooting" for Excellent.

Standing by for the great advice...

My gut tells me that a Krieger is just not a sensible thing to chase in this price-range. I doubt they do any Pre-fits and I would be into it for $600+ after threading and chamber work.

I have had a Shilen Select Match in 6mmbr that was a laser (5shots in the low .2's and I am no BR shooter). I only sold that barrel because it was never shot, could not have been happier with it. It seems that Shilen sort of fell out of favor due to increasing lead times and competition. The Criterion profits by Krieger seem to be very popular now and are a few $$ less than the Shilens. Lead times for a custom Criterion are also 16+ weeks from what I hear. I hear that the Brux barrels are excellent as well, although I have not owned one.

Jim Briggs is an excellent source for prefits. His website is www.northlandshooterssupply.com.

Good Luck,

Mike