• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Walther P99 - Difference between QA & AS?

jtom66

Private
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2007
Lakeland, TN
Need a little help here. I've read the Walther site and still can't seem to get it thru my thick skull the difference between the Walther P99 QA and AS? Please help.

Feeling stupid.

Re: Walther P99 - Difference between QA & AS?

AS is a double action/single action setup, where the reset is simply incredible. This is most similar to an H&K DA/SA.

QA is a trigger system best compared to the Glock.

As for the AS, to truly understand it, check out this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyOZN_44Xd4

And don't feel stupid, it's really difficult to fully understand until you have it in your hand, I thought I would like the QA but when I held the AS and played with the trigger I was absolutely blown away.

Ay ya yi...I had a Walther P99 in .40 that I couldn't get rid of fast enough. Bought it...hated it and would've traded it for a hot cup of coffee at the time.

Avoid 'em like an STD!

Trigger reset is fast, but the trigger pull is horrible!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doorkicker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ay ya yi...I had a Walther P99 in .40 that I couldn't get rid of fast enough. Bought it...hated it and would've traded it for a hot cup of coffee at the time.

Avoid 'em like an STD!

Trigger reset is fast, but the trigger pull is horrible!</div></div>

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, just because it wasn't something you liked doesn't mean he wouldn't. I heard plenty of reviews about the P99 and ended up loving it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Maciej</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, just because it wasn't something you liked doesn't mean he wouldn't. I heard plenty of reviews about the P99 and ended up loving it.</div></div>
You're right...everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

You gave a positive review and I gave a negative one.

Are you upset that I gave a negative one?
grin.gif

I'm going to have to agree with doorkicker on this one. I would have described the Walther P99 as follows:

The P99 trigger system is the result of engineers believing their primary charge is one of providing a "hesitant" operator every feedback loop that unabashedly screams "Hey, Watch Out, Warning you are pulling the trigger! Watch it! Any further and I'm going to, Hey, I'm serious here! I'm going to fire..Somewhere right about now!"

The lightest trigger setting:

Pull the slide back and you are at the lightest trigger setting.
It is a light, metal rubbing through metal crisp single action. It is the kind of trigger one would use when one is ready to go.
Is it fast, yep. Is it clean, B+. Good for a precise shot, yep. Good for target work, yep. But...and here is the rub, as there are zero other safeties on the pistol, too crisp for rough housing around in a holster. If you are about anything other than taking the shot "right now" you will press the decocker and then doorkicker is right. By the way that transition from SA to DA is accompanied with a reasonably noisy "springkathump" that is not quiet enough. How quiet, think about it in terms of quietly but quickly breaking an icycle. That loud.

The decocked state, the DA (AS):

Awful, read the above paragraph for the "Hey, watch out!" feeling one is left with in double action. "AS" stands for anti-stress, in other words German engineering (surrounded by lawyers) designed their "you must be stressed out and unable to determine if you really, really, really mean to pull this trigger". It is, IMO, one of the worst double action triggers out there. If California could mandate a double action trigger, they would have the P99 trigger engineer sitting at the head of their table of "experts."

Getting from DA (or "AS") back to SA (single action).

One needs to grab the slide and pull it back ever so slightly. Just the littlest bit and the DA crap disappears and you are back to SA. But...click...thats right, it isnt silent. In other words if you need quiet, you are going live in the DA mode. Does it matter if your going to just start wailing? No. But if you need a precise shot..your back to "Sure? Now? Really? Now? "

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doorkicker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Maciej</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, just because it wasn't something you liked doesn't mean he wouldn't. I heard plenty of reviews about the P99 and ended up loving it.</div></div>

grin.gif
</div></div>

lol no, was hoping you would have given the reasoning.

What do the both of you recommend as far as being the 'best' trigger to the both of you? I'm thinking that my next handgun will be a 1911.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Maciej</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doorkicker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Maciej</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, just because it wasn't something you liked doesn't mean he wouldn't. I heard plenty of reviews about the P99 and ended up loving it.</div></div>

grin.gif
</div></div>
lol no, was hoping you would have given the reasoning.

What do the both of you recommend as far as being the 'best' trigger to the both of you? I'm thinking that my next handgun will be a 1911. </div></div>
I thought the P99 had a pull like a Glock with a NY trigger...long and tough, Rolling Thunder 51 explained it best for me in a humorous light....going-going-going-almost there-BOOM. It does have a screaming fast reset, but I've seen people unintentionally double-tap TRGTs not to mention shoot over the top of them with that reset.

You'll always be hard pressed to find a better trigger than a tuned 1911's.

I run 3.5# connectors in all my Glocks and have a natural preference for light triggers, despite nay-sayers in regards to combat pistols.

First off, slow down and enjoy the process of finding the right handgun, there are literally 100's of choices and dozens of them will be superb. First and foremost, the questions you need to answer are:

"What am I really going to do with this pistol?"
"How do I feel about carrying around an auto with one in the chamber?"
"Where am I really going to be firing this weapon?"

1911 are not double action triggers (there are exceptions, custom DA 1911's by, say, Stan Walenza), they are single action that depend on the safeties being off. Many auto have NO safeties and want more feedback to the operator in their triggers. Both can be excellent. Light, plastic guns have some real advantageous and shouldn't just be discounted off hand.

I believe that if an individual is not in harms way, a suppressed .22 is number one on the list. A more useful pistol in regard to skill building, cost of ammo and useability is hard to imagine.

I have two P99's.

My wife doesn't like the trigger. It also tends to vibrate in such a way as to bother her.

If you have girly hands you may not like it, though the grip inserts help with fit.

Me, I like it a lot and love the very, very short reset stroke. Very quick.

I also have Glocks and 1911's.

They all have their good and bad points.

I think if you like the P99 and understand it, you will be happy. It has proven to be very reliable with zero failures to feed, eject, or function properly.

Good luck in your decision.

I have a P99AS .40 I absolutely love it. I just completed my second training class with it on Sunday. I've put around 4k rounds through it and find no problem at all with the DA pull other than maybe being to long, but it's a constant pull. I dont find it to be to heavy either.

Many do. They do feed extremely well and are reliable as well.

Here is a shot for all the P99 aficiandos of one of ten P99 TAs that made it into the country. It has a great ambi decocker that should have made it into full production.

Factory..
Entended lever
Special serrations
Night sights
Ambi decock
Threaded barrel
Not a "captured" rail system
Special trigger guard design
Factory flash hider
Etc. etc.

Untitled-2.jpg

Well, I'm starting to go in a different direction. I've settled on a 9mm for many reasons, I know I will get some negative feedback from the group, but here are my reasons, (I will go ahead and put on my shin guards!)

lower ammo cost
9mm is NATO standard
lower recoil (i'm a little guy)

In addition, I am now leaning toward the Springfield XD 9MM compact