• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Walther PPK alternative?

scullti

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2008
Hartland, CT
My mom has wanted for awhile her own small, centerfire (not .22 rimfire) handgun that would not be so much for self-defense but more so for just plinking. We've had her handle a few handguns in Cabelas and she really liked the feel of the PPK, not to mention the look of the pistol (apparently she likes the Bond appearance). I know that the PPK is a real hit or miss as far as reliability, so I was wondering if there is a similar handgun that would fit the bill. Are any of the PPK knockoffs a much more reliable pistol? Or is there another style pistol that is very similar in feel?

Re: Walther PPK alternative?

Do you guys know anything about the sig p232 (PPK ripoff)? I like the idea of a sig made gun, but just because it's made by sig doesn't mean it's good.

Another recommendation for the steel framed Kahrs. I carry a T9 and love the ergonomics. Kahr's triggers tend to be pretty long with a lot of reset, but with practice there's no real problem. It certainly won't go off unintentionally.

If you want a PPK rip-off, you could get three Makarovs (~$160 ea) for each Sig p232 (~$550). Plus, the Makarov is 8+1 vs 7+1 for the Sig. Naturally, not the same fit and finish, but mine always goes bang when the trigger is pulled.
Otherwise, I'd recommend the Kel-Tec. My P32 is the smallest firearm I own.

I love my P230(older verson). Accurate with almost any load, except WWB 95gr. Truncated Cone, anything else I have tried worked well. Small enough to be there when you need it. And it has been very popular with the ladies that have shot it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ghilliedup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you guys know anything about the sig p232 (PPK ripoff)? I like the idea of a sig made gun, but just because it's made by sig doesn't mean it's good. </div></div>
I wouldnt necessarily call it a "rip off". I liked the 232 I had for a short period of time except for the fact that it had that STUPID "europion" mag release. Not a fan of reaching under the grip to take a mag out and then pulling it out for a mag change. To much movement and effort if speed is required.

The P230/P232 are great guns. I think they are very accurate and just plain feel better in the hand than a PPK. I would not be too wooried about a European style mag release on these type of guns. They are designed to be compact concealed carry weapons. If you are going through a full magazine with this type of weapon in a gun fight, and you get to the point that you need to reload, you might want to start thinking about getting the hell out of there.

I never liked the sharp recoil of the .380 in a direct blowback Walther PPK. The Walther PP in .22LR is probably the best of the bunch.

If you don't want to pay the long dollar for a Walther look for a Interarms Import Mauser HSC in .380 for less than $300.

Or, just get a Beretta 85 or 87: both excellent choices for what you want to do with it.

Damn to Late, has already been posted. But the Makarovs are fairly close or the Bersa both decent choices. Me I like the PPK but would never own one, "once bitten twice shy" those bitches bite. Also look at Kahrs and the Kal Tecs both better choices.

If you don't mind the price (around the 6 to 700.00 mark now) the colt baby 1911 in .380 is about the best out there. Don't confuse them with the mustangs though.
I see them on guns america every few weeks.

Gun Test Magazine rated the Bersa Firestorm .380, $307.00 over the Walther PPK, $556.00, based mostly on price. Both functioned flawlessly in their tests.

I have a walther and I have never had a function problem with it. I have shot the sig and while I admit it feels GREAT in the hand I expierienced one problem. The gun is very light and recoil seems VERY sharp.
If possible try before you buy.

I have a PPK-S (which is .380 of course), and as mentioned above, the recoil is surprisingly sharp. Also, it is somewhat hard to rack the slide on the PPK.

You should reconsider the .22LR. Lots of fun, cheap ammo, and the Buckmark, Ruger (and others) are very accurate.

If she's dead set on a centerfire, you could consider a 32 Auto, but ammo, even bulk, is expensive. $20.00 for 50 Winchester white box. About twice as expensive as 9mm.

Of course 9mm is always an option, and choices abound. I have many makes and models, but my favorites are Sig Sauer.

If it were my mother, I would try to steer her into an accurate .22LR.

Big problem with the Bersas(and don't get me wrong I think they're a great gun) is that the trigger bar springs break or either come out of their slit, and the E clip that retains the trigger bar with pop off rendering the gun basically a non returning boomerang.
I like the Makarov just due to the fact that the 9x18 does pack a bit more juice to it.

If it's not going to be concealed I'd stay away from the LCP/P3AT's and those smaller guns. Get something that fits her hands (Sig/Beretta)

I carried a P230 for a couple years as a backup. Found it to be very reliable and easy to shoot. Also as mentioned, the Beretta 84/85's are good choices.

If your the one buying the ammo, I'd buy her a .22 as well, even though she doesn't want one. Will be cheaper in the long run...