• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Walther PPQ for my son! Surprised by the gun

Patton63

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2006
Northern Virginia
My son (almost 11) has been shooting with me since he was 6 years old and is my principal shooting partner. After years of shooting .22 pistols and rifles, he is ready to take on a bigger caliber (9mm). He is a big kid for his age and is comfortable with some recoil (doesn't flinch, anticipate the shot, etc.). We spend a lot of time reviewing firearm safety and he knows how to strip and clean any gun he is allowed to shoot.

I am a 1911 guy and first introduced him to my 9mm 1911. He didn't particularly care for it - too big, I think. I also introduced him to my Beretta 92. He liked that, but was drawn more to the striker-type guns. So, each time we would go to the indoor range I would rent something new for him to try. He worked his way through a Glock 19, Springfield, S&W, H&K, and the Walther PPQ. Out of the group, he kept coming back to the Walther. It seemed to fit his hand the best and he did really well with it. I was surprised at how much I liked it too - the ergonomics are good and it has a nice trigger (or, at least as nice as you can get on a non-1911!)

The last time I was at the range (alone), they had a PPQ in stock. I picked it up as a surprise for him. I am wavering between holding it to Christmas and surprising him with it the next time we go shooting. Either way, he will be thrilled, we'll have a new gun to shoot, and he will take the next step in learning to shoot. All-in-all, it makes me one happy dad.

Good for you. You can never go wrong with the time you spend with your son. I still miss my dad after 7 yrs of being gone and I missed the time he could have spent with my son.

My brother picked one of these up a few months ago and really likes it. I'm like you, a 1911 guy but I'll have to say I was quite impressed with the PPQ as well. Very good for a stock trigger, take up was a bit gritty but it comes to a "hard wall" and then breaks crisply and consistently - I was able to shoot very accurately with it. Much better IMO than the stock triggers I've shot on glocks, xd/xdms and m&ps. Glad your son found a gun he likes, he's lucky to have a good dad. Have fun shooting with your son!