• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Walther PPS for conceal carry?

captnmo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2008
Fort Lewis, WA
Anybody have good or bad experience with the Walther PPS for conceal carry? I need a conceal carry weapon and doing some shopping. Thanks!

Re: Walther PPS for conceal carry?

not a 380 fan so I'd have to say go at least 9mm!

I carry a PPK/S as a backup or when I don't feel or can't carry my Glock 40 S&W. Just make sure you have good magazine's that don't jam. Make sure just like any carry weapon, you are proficient. Myself, the FBI, CIA and 80% of the nation's police force don't like 9mm's for just cause. 9mm like the .380 is a good backup weapon.

Woops, forgot Secret Service.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dj70</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I carry a PPK/S as a backup or when I don't feel or can't carry my Glock 40 S&W. Just make sure you have good magazine's that don't jam. Make sure just like any carry weapon you are proficient. Myself, the FBI, CIA and 80% of the nation's police force don't like 9mm's for just cause. 9mm like the .380 is a good backup weapon. </div></div>

The FBI, CIA and 80% of the nation's police force are FAR outweighed by the rest of the world in which 9mm accounts for 90%+ of the handguns used and in which far more people are shot than in the US.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: captnmo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anybody have good or bad experience with the Walther PPS for conceal carry? I need a conceal carry weapon and doing some shopping. Thanks! </div></div>

The PPS is ok but there are better guns out there for your purposes. If you like that size and such, take a look at the Kahr pistols.

9mm vs 40! I'm getting the popcorn! lol

I had a 40S&W version for a T&E a few months ago. I hated it until I shot it, then I fell in love with it. Then I shot it a lot and it started malfunctioning regularly so I sent it back broken hearted. Might have just gotten a lemon.

I was kinda leaning toward the 9mm for whatever weapon I get as a CC. Just because of the slightly higher capacity and cost of the ammo. I have a .40 XDm and like the caliber, but if I were to get something as small as a PPS or S&W sub-compact, I was thinking 9mm. Like most of you, I'm not a fan of 380. I'm not even sure the PPS offers theirs in .380.

I was confusing the PPS for the PPK/S

I have looked at the PPS before, but I have not had a chance to shoot it. It felt good and was quite a bit thinner than the G26 I was carrying at the time. I still prefer my Combat Commander.

Combat Commander is a nice weapon but I would rather have more ammo in my magazine. Anyone who has ever been in combat know's, you can never have enough ammunition.

The PPS is not a PPK! The PPS is offered only in 9mm or 40 S&W. It is less than an inch in width and is a striker fired, poly framed gun. It is virtually the size of the PPK but with less weight. I have a 9mm version and carry it daily (along with a S&W 342 revolver). I have confidence in the PPS because it has not jammed after almost 500 rounds and is accurate as hell.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dj70</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Isn't the PPS made by S&W? </div></div>

They're made by Walther.

I don't trust Walther's as far as I can throw them. Thats my personal opinion stemming from personal experiences. Shop around more, there are better options out there.

Please stop confusing PPK with PPS people. The PPS is an awesome gun. My best friend and i have had one each since they came out in 9mm and we both love them. I carry mine on an ankle rig and wear it 12hrs a day without any issues. What i like about it is how thin it is. Also it shoots awesome and accurate. I have over 3000rnds thru it without any problems. The trigger gets much better about after 1000rnds.

Needless to say both of us sold our Kahr PM9s because of all the FTFs and FTEs we were having and replaced them with the Walther PPS and could not be happier.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dj70</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Combat Commander is a nice weapon but I would rather have more ammo in my magazine. Anyone who has ever been in combat know's, you can never have enough ammunition. </div></div>

Yes, but I also carry two spare 8 rounders on my support side. 25 rounds should be enough to allow me to make a tactical withdraw to my vehicle to retrieve a battle rifle. I make concessions to go armed daily, but wearing a LBV to pickup milk is going a bit further than I think is warranted.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dj70</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Combat Commander is a nice weapon but I would rather have more ammo in my magazine. Anyone who has ever been in combat know's, you can never have enough ammunition. </div></div>

Yes, but I also carry two spare 8 rounders on my support side. 25 rounds should be enough to allow me to make a tactical withdraw to my vehicle to retrieve a battle rifle. I make concessions to go armed daily, but wearing a LBV to pickup milk is going a bit further than I think is warranted. </div></div>

Sometimes I don't even carry a spare mag. If 9 rounds can't handle it, I probably shouldn't be there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: captnmo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about S&W M&P sub-compacts. Any good or bad with those?</div></div>

i have the PPS in .40sw and its not too bad, its very slim so i only use it for light clothes concealed(shorts and t shirt) however i prefer to carry a larger gun with more capacity when i can(usp compact,glock 23, m&p etc)

The m&p sub compact is a great gun as well

Ace - I've heard some complaints about the trigger on the M&P. What's your opinion on it?

I love my Kahr PM40. Go 40S&W if you're thinking 9mm. They are the same size Kahr. I did have a few issues with my first PM40, but they sent me a new one, and it hasn't missed a beat.
Side note- I chrono'd my Win Ranger 155 HP ammo, and it's running 1084 fps out of the little PM40. That's 404 ft/lbs of energy! No way a 9 will get close to that. Popcorn's ready!!
laugh.gif

Well I'm not Ace, but I've had 3 MP's(2 fullsize 1 compact) and the triggers are pretty good. Relatively clean takeup and clean letoff. Run about 5lbs, which is fine for a ccw gun. Now, they're by no means match grade but certainly acceptable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: captnmo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ace - I've heard some complaints about the trigger on the M&P. What's your opinion on it? </div></div>

I carried a Makarov 9X18 for a while. A bit hotter than the .380 but it's still a pop gun. As with most fixed barrel automatics they are amazingly accurate. Since then I migrated to the Glock compacts like a model 19 if you want capacity or a 30 if you want a thumper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dj70</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Combat Commander is a nice weapon but I would rather have more ammo in my magazine. Anyone who has ever been in combat know's, you can never have enough ammunition. </div></div>

Well you snuck that one in. CCW is a far cry different than conducting a movement to contact. Most CCW shooting scenarios can be solved with 3-5 rds if the shooter watches his front sight and actually hits the target. I went to gun sight with a San Fran Narc who was there because he and his LT were in a gunfight the width of the dealers chevy impala. 63 rds fired, no casualties. While I agree spare ammo is important, you are responsible for every round that leaves that weapon on a public street.

My $.02

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: captnmo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ace - I've heard some complaints about the trigger on the M&P. What's your opinion on it? </div></div>

I just saw this and even though its months old oh well. Like HitemHard said, i havent had any problems with the triggers, feel better than a glock imo. However I also have Bowies trigger jobs on a couple of my m&p's and it makes it a completely different beast!!

Go to a range that rents them and try out the PPS the S&W and what ever else they have that fits your hand and your purpose!

Good Luck